No announcement yet.

Helen Magnus/John Druitt Ship/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had never, ever believed John was going back just fro Helen. For me it was mostly because of the energy creature. It is just so obvious.... He is using Helen as an excuse, so to say, just like Selene writes - to give him a greater peace of mind.

His uncharacteristic behavior after he learns of the energy creature can be explained with surprise. All of a sudden he realizes it is not entirely his fault, there is something new and he is getting adjusted to it, going back to be a little bit uncontrollable, just like he was when he first became the Ripper. It is history repeating in a sense.... But this time it is not blood lust that is guiding his actions, but rather emotion and a tiny bit of hope that he might find a way to get rid of the creature.

Comment

First, I want to thank everyone for jumping right in! I miss discussing all this stuff.

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
      My notes on the draft are thus:
      Spoiler:
      If you're going for chaotic thoughts, it's easiest to intersperse little snippets of the real world in there with her ponderings. Also, if you're looking for something a little more challenging, you could insert some observations of the people with her, who notice how rattled she is. Maybe an uncharacteristic shaking of her hands, or the way her gaze seems turned inward, when so often it's glued to the outside world, taking everything in.

But it's also fine as is. Magnus really does seem to have that ability to rationalize everything, so the way you have it right now totally works while also staying in character. I guess it depends on where you want to take the fic later on...
      The idea of adding in others' perspective would certainly add to the idea that I am going for. That would be stepping out of the comfort zone that I have created for myself, as far as my Sanctuary stories go (if you e read my other two). But they do say that you have to step out of the comfort zone to get to the "where magic happens" zone It would certainly make for a deeper story.

I actually really like the "That's not love." line.......But she's totally right. By taking away the chance to be what she is in *this* timeline, he'd be shackling her to a future *he* wants. And to her, that's abhorrent because she knows precisely how much she has influenced this timeline.....So, her happiness aside, he was willing to destroy millions of lives, just to hold on to the idea of who she was in the past. And what that tells her is not that he values who she is, but only who she used to be.
      He has been struggling for so long with what he has become, that the only good memories he has are from before 1886, and those memories include her. HELEN: "You’d really wipe out the last hundred years without so much as a second thought?" JOHN: "To be with you, oh yes." So, though I think she takes it to mean that he only values her for who she used to be, I think he meant it in a much broader sense. To be back with her before the Source Blood was to be happy again--to be without the energy creature. Yes, I think he is acting selfish by not thinking about how she might feel, but at this point he is so over-whelmed that this was really his last chance.

Though, to be honest, I think the whole parasite thing is such a huge cop out. I much prefer the Druitt from the webisodes. You know, the one who's clearly mentally unstable, and is undeniably a certifiable psychopath. In the webisodes you can feel him walking that line between crazy and sane, but he's got a very aura of danger that's so deliciously dark.
      Yes! I feel the end to watch the webisodes again As much as I loved "Haunted," I think it felt like a cop out, because they never did anything with it. It was just one episode thrown in there for the fans.

Originally posted by For_All_Eternity View Post
      I agree that it is not Helen's fault that Druitt has been suffering, and I don't think he implied that either. He was just tired of it all. He didn't think things through, he didn't really consider the ramifications of his actions. After years of suffering, his common sense is completely shattered.

Spoiler:
      And Helen should know that. This is my biggest issue with the "This is not love" sentence. She actually assumes he is in his right mind, that he is making decisions based on careful consideration and specific plan of action. He is not. He is acting emotionally, he is acting stupid.

But he does love her.

It is the love for her that keeps him coming back, it is the love for her that is the only thread left for him to hold on to and he is so terribly confused that he doesn't think straight.

Yes, his decision to change the timeline was completely wrong and horrible on so many levels, but it is not a proof that he doesn't love her - it is a proof that after so many years of suffering he is desperate. And desperate people make stupid choices.

To sum up, John's actions are desperate, born out of years delving into insanity with only the memory of one person who had once helped him. Yes, his choices were wrong and they do not portray love for Helen by themselves, but in this case we should look at the bigger picture - something Helen, in her anger, doesn't. And the bigger picture his love is clearly visible.
      I really like this take. And as I said before, he has only one thing on his mind - he wants to be happy - that is his focus. So, yeah, I would agree that it seems his common sense is "shattered". She is the only thing that has kept him as sane as he is now. I think that might explain his actions at the end of the episode. He thinks he has finally gone too far, and he knows he can't live without her. I think Helen let her emotions get the best of her too, which doesn't usually happen.
      sigpic
      || acrazyobsession on AO3 & Tumblr || My DeviantArt ||

Comment

And of course the other thing is this -- preventing John from using the source blood would mean none of his victims were ever killed. It seems to me that John, as John not the energy creature, may feel tremendous remorse about that. If he never used the source blood all those women would go on about their lives. Yes, Helen might not be as fantastic, but all those women would be alive. Is her life worth more than all theirs?
        sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

Originally posted by Artie View Post
          And of course the other thing is this -- preventing John from using the source blood would mean none of his victims were ever killed. It seems to me that John, as John not the energy creature, may feel tremendous remorse about that. If he never used the source blood all those women would go on about their lives. Yes, Helen might not be as fantastic, but all those women would be alive. Is her life worth more than all theirs?
          I think that John certainly feels remorse for all the horrible things he has done - About the women he killed - For the pain and suffering he put his friends through. If he were to go back and change things, she could be a completely different person. The Source Blood helped shape Helen, but like someone said, John shaped her too. She has seen that even with a different life, their relationship didn't work out. He hasn't had that experience.
          sigpic
          || acrazyobsession on AO3 & Tumblr || My DeviantArt ||

Comment

Ahahhah, guys, did you see that part of Calgary Expo where Chris got asked to choose between Biggie and Druitt and his answer was: "I don't know if you've noticed, but only one of them got to kiss Helen Magnus"

Comment

Ahahhah, guys, did you see that part of Calgary Expo where Chris got asked to choose between Biggie and Druitt and his answer was: "I don't know if you've noticed, but only one of them got to kiss Helen Magnus"
              GREAT ANSWER!!

Comment

Can you imagine Biggie kissing Magnus....

Comment

Can you imagine Biggie kissing Magnus....
                  Only after she's sampled his moonshine.

Comment

Love this!
                    sigpic
                    The Return of King Arthur
                    Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
                    acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Made something shippy.

Been working on this tut by LG. I couldn't use the same brushes since they weren't compatible with my version of PS so I used what I had. Text is from the song Angels by Within Temptation.

Icon by AceofHadeon Sig by TrueRomantic

sigpic

Comment

Ah, beautiful wallpaper! I l-o-v-e Within Temptation!!! Although the memory of that older guy from the official video kinda disturbs me when I see John's face on the wallpaper- that older guy was pretty creepy in a bad way....

But definitely the lyrics are perfect for Helen/John

By the way, the ultimate best lyrics for Helen/John in my opinion is "Undisclosed Desires"

I just can't get it out of my head: "You may be sinner, but your innocence is mine..." so bloody perfect!

Comment

Thank you! I'm a huge WT fan and I think so many of their songs fit them. I did wallies with "What have done?", "Jillian", and "All I Need" as well. And I did one with Sirenia's "Lost in Life".

I'm not familiar with that one. I personally think "Jillian" fits them really well and I'd love to see a video to it.

sigpic

Comment

This is the song, I am a fan of Muse and the lyrics fit so well with John/Helen...

There was a fanvid with this song somewhere, but the user removed it from youtube....

Comment

That's a shame. If I had the no how, I'd make one myself, but I don't.

sigpic

Comment

And I have the know how, but I don't have the time....

Anyways, I think the fanvid was uploaded somewhere on another website, just need to find it - it was beautifully done

Ah, will we ever see more of Helen and John... It looks like it is Helen/Tesla time now....

Comment

Working...
                                X