Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
    Ah no it's not because we are talking a teeny tiny market here. Our total population just cracked the 21 million mark (I think) and the number of people with pay TV is a tiny fraction of that and Sci-Fi is an even smaller fraction of that as it's a pay extra channel - sooooooooo...

Besides I'll bet that Skiffy isn't paying anything near what the free to air channels pay.

*kicks Aussie networks*
    Presumably they would have sold it to one of the other channels if they could. My point was, if they couldn't do that then isn't it better it is available by some legal means?

I'm sure they'd love to be on one of the main Canadian networks too. They are not so I'm happy they are on MC because I can pay $13.00 per month and see the show.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
      Presumably they would have sold it to one of the other channels if they could. My point was, if they couldn't do that then isn't it better it is available by some legal means?

I'm sure they'd love to be on one of the main Canadian networks too. They are not so I'm happy they are on MC because I can pay $13.00 per month and see the show.
      Oh I got your point but my point was that it is such a small market that 1) most Aussies (including me and a few others on the thread) will never see it and 2) the peeps at Sanctuary 1 Productions are getting the short end of the stick.

Unfortunately not everyone here is willing to fork out $56 a month to watch 13 episodes of a single series. I'll have to wait for the DVDs
      -

Comment

Oh I got your point but my point was that it is such a small market that 1) most Aussies (including me and a few others on the thread) will never see it and 2) the peeps at Sanctuary 1 Productions are getting the short end of the stick.

Unfortunately not everyone here is willing to fork out $56 a month to watch 13 episodes of a single series. I'll have to wait for the DVDs
        1) Most Aussies that really want to see it, will see it
        2) Maybe the Sanctuary folks could set up a store and sell the episodes on-line like they did with the webisodes especially in countries like Australia and such

Comment

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
          I'm not sure it's a question of folks willing to illegally obtain copies. And folks who don't want to break the law aren't simply less clever than those willing to do so. I think the point is, it's a shame the show itself is losing potential legal viewership, and thus support for its continuation and the chance to expand viewership, because it was sold to a channel with such a small relative market.

I feel the same way about it's not being available on Itunes or Amazon for legal download. We gave up cable/dish because it's just not worth the price for the small amount of good tv on, and we buy stuff we really like (like SGA) from Amazon and stream stuff we just want to watch once LEGALLY from network sites. Sanctuary is about the only show we've wanted to watch which has been available for only a Very Little time via streaming and it's rather annoying for those of us who don't want to break the law to not even be allowed to spend money to get the thing... Which, considering how Sanctuary started, is sorta ironic.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
            In Canada it shows on The Movie Network and Movie Central. Both are pay TV stations. I extended my cable package to get current SGA episodes when Amanda joined the cast and kept it for Sanctuary. I think it is a matter of which station they can sell it to and isn't it better that it's available than not? I've made it clear to my channel that the only reason I pay for their service is because of Sanctuary.
            Ah no it's not because we are talking a teeny tiny market here. Our total population just cracked the 21 million mark (I think) and the number of people with pay TV is a tiny fraction of that and Sci-Fi is an even smaller fraction of that as it's a pay extra channel - sooooooooo...
            Besides I'll bet that Skiffy isn't paying anything near what the free to air channels pay.
            *kicks Aussie networks*
            Originally posted by silly sally View Post
            2) Maybe the Sanctuary folks could set up a store and sell the episodes on-line like they did with the webisodes especially in countries like Australia and such
            I have to agree with RoX 100% on this. It's actually a pointless move to air it here in Australia on pay tv...they simply don't have the audience numbers. And if you really think about it, most of the people who are aware of the show, don't have pay tv.
            But RoX...$56 a month?? My folks were paying $75 a month and scifi was still not available on that package...I'm already pay $70 a month on my internet service...I can't afford pay tv no matter how much I want to see Sanctuary. And most of you here would know how much I love this show and want to support it, but I can't...not if it's going to cost me that much.
            While I almost agree with silly sally, the pint is that Australian viewers want to see it on their tv screens not by any other means.,..if you know what I mean...I personally would like to see it given a fair go on the free to air networks so that more Aussies are exposed to it and the fandom grows...not have it hidden on pay tv only have folks still question what Sanctuary is.
            The idea of selling the eps sounds good..but I wonder if that's actually something that could be practical and doable.
            *double kicks Aussie networks*
            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
              I'm not sure it's a question of folks willing to illegally obtain copies. And folks who don't want to break the law aren't simply less clever than those willing to do so. I think the point is, it's a shame the show itself is losing potential legal viewership, and thus support for its continuation and the chance to expand viewership, because it was sold to a channel with such a small relative market.

I feel the same way about it's not being available on Itunes or Amazon for legal download. We gave up cable/dish because it's just not worth the price for the small amount of good tv on, and we buy stuff we really like (like SGA) from Amazon and stream stuff we just want to watch once LEGALLY from network sites. Sanctuary is about the only show we've wanted to watch which has been available for only a Very Little time via streaming and it's rather annoying for those of us who don't want to break the law to not even be allowed to spend money to get the thing... Which, considering how Sanctuary started, is sorta ironic.
              We're the same way. Cable isn't worth the price. We use Amazon and hulu for shows that don't air on regular over the air channels. I would gladly pay for downloads of Sanctuary to have them on hand to rewatch, but am instead stuck with waiting for them to be available a week later on hulu, and then gone within a couple of weeks. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I can watch it, but I'm not sure that watching it on hulu helps the numbers.
              Last edited by KatG; 09 March 2009, 03:08 PM. Reason: typing with a cat in your arms causes typos 8)
              sigpic

Comment

It would be nice for someone to pop in and have a listen to the viewers concerns.
                "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Because I was busy pouting yesterday over not getting Sanctuary here I forgot to look up the E1 Ent. mentioned in the article as getting the worldwide distribution for home video for Sanctuary because I knew it rang a bell for some reason.

E1 Entertainment recently started offering their film and TV content on iTunes in the U.S., U.K. and Canada so hopefully for people in those countries Sanctuary should eventually appear on iTunes.

There is an article on Playback that was posted a few hours ago but it is subscription only so if anyone has access...

Morjana???
                  -

Comment

There is an article on Playback that was posted a few hours ago but it is subscription only so if anyone has access...

Morjana???
                    Thank you for the info, RoX, but I don't have a subscription to Playback.

Wish I did though.

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Because I was busy pouting yesterday over not getting Sanctuary here I forgot to look up the E1 Ent. mentioned in the article as getting the worldwide distribution for home video for Sanctuary because I knew it rang a bell for some reason.

E1 Entertainment recently started offering their film and TV content on iTunes in the U.S., U.K. and Canada so hopefully for people in those countries Sanctuary should eventually appear on iTunes.

Morjana???
                      Thanks. I don't have a subscription to Playback either, but it's nice to know that we might be able to get Sanctuary through iTunes soon.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KatG View Post
                        Thanks. I don't have a subscription to Playback either, but it's nice to know that we might be able to get Sanctuary through iTunes soon.
                        Hate to burst any bubble but I don't think it'll be soon. They are distributing the DVDs, right? Tri(whataver) is handling the syndication. So it'll maybe be available when the DVDs are releases. I hope I'm wrong and I sure a heck could be but... I don't think it's soon.

suse
                        sigpic
                        Mourning Sanctuary.
                        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

i think, if it was soon, we'd know about it cause it'd be all over various fan websites

my money is on this summer, late summer to lead into the premiere
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                            Hate to burst any bubble but I don't think it'll be soon. They are distributing the DVDs, right? Tri(whataver) is handling the syndication. So it'll maybe be available when the DVDs are releases. I hope I'm wrong and I sure a heck could be but... I don't think it's soon.

suse
                            As long as it's before Season 2 airs, I'll be happy. I've seen S1, and fully intend to buy the DVDs, but would like to be able to see S2 the day after it airs, rather than 8 days later on Hulu. Plus I would be able to keep the eps and rewatch them.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KatG View Post
                              As long as it's before Season 2 airs, I'll be happy. I've seen S1, and fully intend to buy the DVDs, but would like to be able to see S2 the day after it airs, rather than 8 days later on Hulu. Plus I would be able to keep the eps and rewatch them.
                              I wonder why it takes Scifi/et al to get Sanctuary uploaded to Hulu. Legend of the Seeker is loaded the Monday after it airs on Saturday. It's a 3 day turn around. :-/
                              sigpic
                              I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux View Post
                                I wonder why it takes Scifi/et al to get Sanctuary uploaded to Hulu. Legend of the Seeker is loaded the Monday after it airs on Saturday. It's a 3 day turn around. :-/
                                No idea. Hulu had the rights to air Sanctuary the day after for the first five episodes then the rest of the season 8 days later. Same thing happened with BSG this season, first five the day after then 8 days later.

It could have something to do with the fact that they give them the first five as a sort of teaser, hoping that it will prompt people to pay for Scifi channel to watch the rest in a timely manner, cause it's always about the money in the end.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X