Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^Tangentially related--What did people think of in Requiem when
    Spoiler:
    they sort of changed speeds periodically--like when Helen went from room to room a couple of times? Not sure how to describe it, but she'd be walking & then the film went faster for a second
    I thought it was kind of cool.

Comment

I will have to rewatch all the episodes again and rate them thoughtfully but its hard because I watch an episode in two ways.
      1: the story and the world as they set it out
      2: I think about the fun they must have had filming those particular scenes... for examples robin has gotten his kit off a couple of times
      Spoiler:
      and I can just see him walking out of makeup for warriors and doing the posing growl

I actually quite like nubbins.... just for the fun of it.
      And I love Henry so was glad to hear we may be seeing more of him in season 2.
      Spoiler:
      Indiana jones with cooler toys

I will watch and re-rate.

Hugs
      Becks

Comment

That's terrible that the white fades can cause migraines and seizures. Makes sense though. Kinda strobish.

I really didn't like the white between scenes at first. Now I do. Contributes to the feeling of the series.

suse
        sigpic
        Mourning Sanctuary.
        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by becky_preen View Post
          I will have to rewatch all the episodes again and rate them thoughtfully but its hard because I watch an episode in two ways.
          1: the story and the world as they set it out
          2: I think about the fun they must have had filming those particular scenes... for examples robin has gotten his kit off a couple of times
          Spoiler:
          and I can just see him walking out of makeup for warriors and doing the posing growl
          I hadn't actually thought of that aspect ... trying to rank them was difficult enough to be fair But it's definitely a valid way to look at the episodes. When we were watching Instinct, my friend commented that the cameraman must have had the most fun filming that one, and I have to admit, that hadn't occurred to me before Then again, that's the joy of these places to exchange opinions and discuss views - we get to see things from other perspectives and maybe look at something from a different light!

Originally posted by becky_preen View Post
          I actually quite like nubbins.... just for the fun of it.
          And I love Henry so was glad to hear we may be seeing more of him in season 2.
          Spoiler:
          Indiana jones with cooler toys

I will watch and re-rate.

Hugs
          Becks
          LOL! I totally second each of those statements ...
          Spoiler:
          and I love the comparison of Henry to Indy ... geek/teacher to cool fighter who gets'er'done! (Note: I use 'geek' lovingly as a term of endearment, in case anyone is starting to raise their hackles over that! )
          ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
          ames on facebook
          ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
            Contributes to the feeling of the series.
            That's exactly why I like them. They contribute (for me anyway) to the whole feel of the series. It makes it almost other worldly which is sorta what the series (to me anyway) is like.
            sigpic
            I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
              It might be boring, but there are valid reasons for it's use.
              I'm sure there are, care to elaborate on them?
              sigpic

Comment

I'm sure there are, care to elaborate on them?
                Sure. I was refering to my posts of a page back:
                http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....postcount=8067
                http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....postcount=8080

Skydiver brought up some interesting points:
                without going into a ton of detail, there are transitions that people see as 'normal' and 'expected'....and that's because it's a standard taught to every film student as they learn the craft

such as slow, 1 second fades, being serious and sorrowful, while direct cuts (no transitions at all) are something you'd do in a more ordinary or 'omg, what's gonna happen next' action sequence.

wipes are often used to convay 'same time action, two different places'

People grow up and see certain things happening and then expect it as 'normal'

sometimes transitions can be cool. other times they are so overused that they are annoying.

we just view as we are taught and 'normal' is relative
                Basically, conventions such as fade to black exist so that we accept transitions as seamless, understand their meaning without concious thought, and aren't taken out of the action by awareness of the device.

When conventions are broken, we notice. It doesn't invalidate them stylistically, and over time it's possible that one would stop noticing. I'm sure some aren't bothered in the first place, but I like to feel immersed in the action without being reminded that what I'm watching isn't 'real'.
                Last edited by amconway; 21 January 2009, 09:53 PM.

Comment

i remember watching the classic star wars series and lucas uses a lot of wipes

and i noticed. Because feature films don't tend to use wipes for their transitions
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I'll have to look for that next time I watch!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      i remember watching the classic star wars series and lucas uses a lot of wipes
                      Wasn't that part of giving it the feel of the old serials?

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
                        Sure. I was refering to my posts of a page back:
                        http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....postcount=8067
                        http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....postcount=8080

Skydiver brought up some interesting points:

Basically, conventions such as fade to black exist so that we accept transitions as seamless, understand their meaning without concious thought, and aren't taken out of the action by awareness of the device.

When conventions are broken, we notice. It doesn't invalidate them stylistically, and over time it's possible that one would stop noticing. I'm sure some aren't bothered in the first place, but I like to feel immersed in the action without being reminded that what I'm watching isn't 'real'.
                        Thanks.

Me on the other hand, I like the fade to whites because they keep me immersed in the feel of the show. To me it's supposed to feel otherworldly and the fade to whites keep that feeling for me.

As for the "said" example...seeing that too much bores me and I'll stop reading a fic or a book if that is the only way the author writes dialogue. We don't speak like that, using "said" all the time so why should books, fics or other written mediums? But that's just me. I'm so not conventional. Not that there is anything wrong with people who are conventional.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
                          Sorry, can you give me a moment whilst I have a "wow" moment?

Seriously, the more you watch them, the better these episodes get.

You know how I said I wasn't particularly fussed by Requiem? Just watched it for what was probably the third time and I was left speechless. Now, that time I was watching on my own. Seems to have made a huge difference. I mean, the second time, little Ellen (who was ten at the time) had just found her pet hamster dead in the cage and was nagging that she wanted to watch SG1 (specifically the Quest pt 2 because there's dragons and Sam gets to punch Ba'al) so we weren't able to get into it that much. First time... I don't know. I was underwhelmed by it. But this time I was suitably impressed.

I still stand by my decision that I prefer Warriors. No, I agree that the fight scenes are mediocre at best, but I adore the more family-orientated scenes. They bring me to tears every time.

But just thought I'd share.
                          Cool Tracy I loved Requiem, I went to find it on the ITV4 website catch up thing but Requiem was there any more, have they taken it down?

Julia(samcarterrules)
                          sigpic
                          Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

I finally got my lazy self around to ranking the episodes...

5. Edward
                            4. Instinct
                            3. Requiem
                            2. The Five
                            1. Revelations Pt 2

And I just don’t feel like ranking anything under that because honestly I like them all for different, equal reasons…. However those five have certain parts that stuck out for me that I was just like… wow that was totally a wickedly cool episode….

So reasons for the top five:
                            Edward
                            Spoiler:
                            I thought that the storyline worked so well, the whole crime drama thing really held my attention… I hate to say it but there were parts of it that almost reminded me of CSI…. Like the old CSI…. When it was really good. And honestly this ep sorta had a softer feeling to me…

Instinct
                            Spoiler:
                            Loved the whole hand-held camera filming style… That and I *loved* the part where Helen faked out the camera guy and then asked him not to eavesdrop again… Simply brilliant. And Henry! He totally got to be out playing in the field…

Requiem
                            Spoiler:
                            Amanda’s acting in this ep is just frelling top-notch… Ryan Robbins little appearance in the beginning of the ep was just great… Nuf said.

The Five
                            Spoiler:
                            I just adore Jonathon Young…. He makes such a perfect Tesla…. Just plays that little kid, I’m so full of myself thing overly well… The whole reveal of The truth behind ‘The Five’ was great, and the flashback sequences worked really good with the rest of the episode… tied everything together….

Revelations Pt 2
                            Spoiler:
                            Again I just adore Tesla…. But the group of actors all together in this one, well they compliment each other so well, that I just loved it…. The interaction was just absolutely great, and the banter totally made this ep for me… Not that I’m all about the cheap oneliner, but they pulled it off in this episode with class… And while I sorta saw the whole Ashley thing coming… it was cool how they played it out…
                            sigpic
                            awesome siggie courtesy of jasminaGo

Comment

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
                              Cool Tracy I loved Requiem, I went to find it on the ITV4 website catch up thing but Requiem was there any more, have they taken it down?

Julia(samcarterrules)
                              I don't know, to be honest. A friend managed to record on her magic box thing for me, so I now have a copy. I've not tried the itv4 thing. Sorry.
                              Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

This was just sent to me....
                                Warning: Spoilers for all eps of season 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_D5X6V2pxM

*running off to watch it again*
                                Last edited by ~Sarah~; 22 January 2009, 02:05 PM.
                                sigpic
                                awesome siggie courtesy of jasminaGo

Comment

Working...
                                X