Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They used the fade to white effect quite a bit in Farscape, and I think it really worked well for them.

I don't know... is it a bit surreal because it's just not what we're used to?
    Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Random fangirl moment watching Rev2:
      Spoiler:
      "The guy who invented radio just dissed Jack the Ripper"

hehehe
      The more I watch each episode, the better they get...

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
        Random fangirl moment?* watching Rev2:
        Spoiler:
        "The guy who invented radio just dissed Jack the Ripper"hehehe
        How many airings did it take to make Warriors look good?
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Random fangirl moment watching Rev2:
          Spoiler:
          "The guy who invented radio just dissed Jack the Ripper"

hehehe
          Loved that line. Just showed how (brilliantly) ludicrous this show is
          Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            How many airings did it take to make Warriors look good?
            I tend to agree with Tracy that there are some absolutely beautiful little character interactions and family undertones in Warriors that redeem it. At least, if you ignore the two-by-four A Plot.

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post
              Vote for Sanctuary as Best Scifi/Fantasy Series (available on HULU) at:

The HULU Review

snip for space
              Sanctuary made it to the next round. Vote here.

Comment

i like emilie's hair

can i guess from that that ashley's hair is a wig? if so, dude, let the girl have her own hair. i like that style so much more

and yes, it is all about the hair
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Of course it's all about the hair! I have had nearly all of Sam's styles (but in brunette, with my own twists), and if you give me a photo of her I'll be able to tell you what series it's from! I do love hair... Though it's a shame there's no short hair in Sanctuary.

And is it a wig? Maybe she just had her fringe cut (bangs) and died it blonder (ahem, which is of course a word...)?

I was disappointed with Warriors, but simply because when I heard there were fight clubs in the ep I was all "wooo, Fight Club!", and hoping that it would be a kind of psychological thriller like the film (Fight Club). But it wasn't. It was still good though - some nice moments for Helen and Ashley, and I loved it when Henry raced in to stop Will... *dreams*
                  ~Thanks to Achaja for my lovely birthday presents!!~

Comment

I tend to agree with Tracy that there are some absolutely beautiful little character interactions and family undertones in Warriors that redeem it. At least, if you ignore the two-by-four A Plot.
                    Thank goodness! I was starting to feel like a bit of a freak (shut up neep) for enjoying warriors!

I understand what Amanda (the woman in my viewing group) said about the main plot and how it set things up for the Cabal. I thought it was ok, just not brilliant. The only bit of it that really put me off was Will. Trying not to do anything too specific because I'm too lazy to use spoiler tags today.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    i like emilie's hair

can i guess from that that ashley's hair is a wig? if so, dude, let the girl have her own hair. i like that style so much more

and yes, it is all about the hair
                    Nah, the hair in that picture (which has been kicking round a few months now, at least since she went back home to Copenhagen) is extensions. The fringe and everything is her own, but she's really good at styling it out the way and making it look softer (like in the beginning of Warriors or in jPod). I guess they just didn't want the softer look for Ashley.

Could be wrong, but that's what I seem to remember.
                    Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

They used the fade to white effect quite a bit in Farscape, and I think it really worked well for them.

It's a bit like the word 'said' in stories. We accept it to the point that our eyes just note the meaning subconciously and we ignore it (unless the writing is really bad). Change that to something less conventional, say, 'declaimed', and it draws our attention, taking us out of the narrative. It might be perfectly acceptable in context, but we will stop to notice it, and that's not a good thing. The 'fade to white' is a pefectly valid stylistic choice, but most of us will stop and notice it, in this show or on others.

Thank goodness! I was starting to feel like a bit of a freak (shut up neep) for enjoying warriors!
                      Imagine how I feel... I thought Nubbins was virtually unwatchable. Now that's a marginalized opinion!

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post

I like it better than the boring fade to black that EVERY other series out there uses.
                        sigpic
                        I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

I like it better than the boring fade to black that EVERY other series out there uses.
                          It might be boring, but there are valid reasons for it's use.

Comment

without going into a ton of detail, there are transitions that people see as 'normal' and 'expected'....and that's because it's a standard taught to every film student as they learn the craft

such as slow, 1 second fades, being serious and sorrowful, while direct cuts (no transitions at all) are something you'd do in a more ordinary or 'omg, what's gonna happen next' action sequence.

wipes are often used to convay 'same time action, two different places'

People grow up and see certain things happening and then expect it as 'normal'

sometimes transitions can be cool. other times they are so overused that they are annoying.

we just view as we are taught and 'normal' is relative
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux View Post
                              I like the fade to white as well because it is pretty distinct compared to other shows, it kinda reminds me of the black and white snapshot effect used on NCIS. It does sort of take me out of the narrative, but then it's always done before commercial breaks which take me out of the story anyway.

I wonder if maybe they use it as a reference to comic books, the sort of flash of white you see when you turn the page.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                                I like the fade to white as well because it is pretty distinct compared to other shows, it kinda reminds me of the black and white snapshot effect used on NCIS. It does sort of take me out of the narrative, but then it's always done before commercial breaks which take me out of the story anyway.
                                there's a real problem with fade to whites if they are overused or as in music vid sequences frequent. A fade to white causes a flashing lights effect which can trigger migraines and epilepsy. Jenn dod some lovely vis with fade to white transitions and the efect was very stark especailly in the environment we show vids at events.( lights down) so I had to ask her to redo them all. (sorry Jenn, but the migraine sufferers amoungus and epiletics were very grateful)

Becks

Comment

Working...
                                X