Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
    Honestly, if a 13-episode season wasn't good enough for SyFy, I don't see them doing a miniseries. Really, I think a movie is the best way to go. The question is, is there a story that could be told with a beginning, middle, and ending in just two hours? What would that story be? I think the New Sanctuary would be a good way to reintroduce everything to the audience. Bring in a new character who is new to abnormals to bring in new viewers who don't know what's going on. This would especially help if he or she is a well known TV actor.
    Yeah, like Magnus firing Will as her apprentice or demoting him and hiring a new one so we can start all over!
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

what if the mini-series had all the main characters and the new sanctuary. but has a stand alone plot dealing with an abnormal, so a non-fan could follow everything.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
        what if the mini-series had all the main characters and the new sanctuary. but has a stand alone plot dealing with an abnormal, so a non-fan could follow everything.
        The problem is that the stand alone plot part doesn't work 99.99% of the time. Because the characters, inner relationships and back stories have already been established they would have to be followed through or the show wouldn't be the show that the established fans know and love, and it's the same part that would make it hard for new fans to follow.

For example, we can have mini-series with fast-forward, the new Sanctuary up and running, everything is just dandy and the team is going on a new adventure, that won't be to bad for new watchers. But I know that I would feel cheated if we don't get to see the battle of the new Sanctuary and everyone trying to adapt to the new conditions in comparison to the old ways, Helen not being able to just call someone and get a favour cause everyone think she's dead, addressing the rift between Helen and Will since it was such a big part of season 4, and a whole bunch of other things.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
          The problem is that the stand alone plot part doesn't work 99.99% of the time. Because the characters, inner relationships and back stories have already been established they would have to be followed through or the show wouldn't be the show that the established fans know and love, and it's the same part that would make it hard for new fans to follow.

For example, we can have mini-series with fast-forward, the new Sanctuary up and running, everything is just dandy and the team is going on a new adventure, that won't be to bad for new watchers. But I know that I would feel cheated if we don't get to see the battle of the new Sanctuary and everyone trying to adapt to the new conditions in comparison to the old ways, Helen not being able to just call someone and get a favour cause everyone think she's dead, addressing the rift between Helen and Will since it was such a big part of season 4, and a whole bunch of other things.
          I agree, a stand alone would totally cheat fans of the show, because we would want it to build on what we already know. As much as TPTB would be focusing on the numbers, we are interested in the quality of the story. And as far as Movie vs. Mini-series, I would definitely prefer a mini-series, because it could cover a lot more story than a movie. I am very anxious to see if anything ends up happening.
          sigpic
          || acrazyobsession on AO3 & Tumblr || My DeviantArt ||

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
            Yeah, like Magnus firing Will as her apprentice or demoting him and hiring a new one so we can start all over!
            sally

sigpic

Comment

The only way the show will return is as a stand-alone movie. That's the nature of the business folks: profit first, storyline second. What that means is that a movie that picks up where the series left off (set years later) and dives right into the middle of everything... well, it's not going to sell. People renting or buying the movie will have no idea what's going on. People reading the back of the DVD cover will have no idea what this movie is suppose to be. Why would SyFy make a miniseries? If they're not going to renew for a fourth season, you can count out a miniseries. This show did not have the wide appeal and audience that Farscape had. Keep in mind that the show has never aired anywhere but SyFy, and the network has a stigma for being the brain dead channel. A movie would have to tell a stand-alone story while distancing and remaining close to the series simultaneously.

Comment

The only way the show will return is as a stand-alone movie. That's the nature of the business folks: profit first, storyline second. What that means is that a movie that picks up where the series left off (set years later) and dives right into the middle of everything... well, it's not going to sell. People renting or buying the movie will have no idea what's going on. People reading the back of the DVD cover will have no idea what this movie is suppose to be. Why would SyFy make a miniseries? If they're not going to renew for a fourth season, you can count out a miniseries. This show did not have the wide appeal and audience that Farscape had. Keep in mind that the show has never aired anywhere but SyFy, and the network has a stigma for being the brain dead channel. A movie would have to tell a stand-alone story while distancing and remaining close to the series simultaneously.
                Er... it aired on ITV and Watch in the UK, nothing to do with SyFy as far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
                  Er... it aired on ITV and Watch in the UK, nothing to do with SyFy as far as I know.
                  And on Space and a in Australia.

Comment

Also the Space Channel in Canada, where it did very well, (for Space that is).
                    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

i think movie or mini series either way, it has to have references to the show. but simple character things wouldn't be to confusing to new viewers (and lets face it there isn't going to be a lot of those).
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
                        And on Space and a in Australia.
                        Irrelevant, Sanctuary was produced for an American audience. Where it aired in the UK or Australia does not factor in to U.S. profits which is the target audience.

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                        Also the Space Channel in Canada, where it did very well, (for Space that is).
                        This might have a little more merit, considering the show was a Canadian production.

i think movie or mini series either way, it has to have references to the show. but simple character things wouldn't be to confusing to new viewers (and lets face it there isn't going to be a lot of those).
                        A movie based on the series is going to have references to the show by default given that... it's based on the show. Why a miniseries? Who would produce it? Probably not SyFy given they were the one who couldn't make a decision to renew or cancel in time. I think the movie format is the best way to go if it were to continue. If a movie did happen, it has to be accessible. Face it, the majority of the people checking it out probably never heard of the TV show. "Based on Sanctuary. What's Sanctuary?"

Comment

i disagree, the people looking at the movie most likely would have seen the show, or follow AT's career, so they would have at least heard of it.
                          sigpic

Comment

If that's the case, the movie won't be made, because that audience is just too small to justify the expense.

Comment

Irrelevant, Sanctuary was produced for an American audience. Where it aired in the UK or Australia does not factor in to U.S. profits which is the target audience.
                              No it wasn't. Please do not confuse recognising your largest single audience with it is produced for them.

You seem to be speaking of an American model for television which time and again the producers of Sanctuary have said they have a different model.
                              -

Comment

This might have a little more merit, considering the show was a Canadian production.

A movie based on the series is going to have references to the show by default given that... it's based on the show. Why a miniseries? Who would produce it? Probably not SyFy given they were the one who couldn't make a decision to renew or cancel in time. I think the movie format is the best way to go if it were to continue. If a movie did happen, it has to be accessible. Face it, the majority of the people checking it out probably never heard of the TV show. "Based on Sanctuary. What's Sanctuary?"
                                i disagree, the people looking at the movie most likely would have seen the show, or follow AT's career, so they would have at least heard of it.
                                Sanctuary did very well on Space, and it is primarily a Canadian based show, so the prime audience was for Canadians. Maybe I'm biased, or maybe I just like Space more, but I'd have no problem with the show being on Space. Not because I'm Canadian, or because the show is, but because it'd keep the show on, and if it does come back to TV, I think it'd work.

Also, I agree with blueray, by this point Amanda's like a mega star in the sci-fi world, and the show rocked on Space (as it should ) and her fans are her fans, and they'll follow her to Space, and we've seen that happen. Amanda and Space will be at the expo, so maybe I'll ask, or someone will?

Comment

Working...
                                X