Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robin is funny and does good impressions, however, that is Robin to me and not Will. Yes, the character should grow over the span of the show but certain characteristics just never resonated with me as Will's characteristics. Amanda can be goofy but they never made Helen goofy. Certain things, to me, just never fit the character of Will. That is not to say it was right or wrong but from a personal perspective it made me think it was more Robin playing Will than believing it was the character of Will.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

The Leo Awards have put up their photo galleries - http://www.leoawards.com/2012/events...aphy_2012.html

I had a quick flick through them for Sanctuary peeps but I may have missed some, here's the numbers in the individual galleries for people who want to go straight to them -
      Celebration Awards
      Martin - 143
      Lee - 199, 200
      Ryan - 229-231
      Robin - 237

Gala Awards
      Amanda & Robin - 27, 96, 138-141, 163
      Chris - 32, 84, 145-146, 198-204, 269
      Robin - 61
      Emilie - 71, 164-169
      Ryan - 76, 174-175, 237-239
      Martin - 177-179
      Damian - 186
      Amanda - 205-206, 268

Winners
      Lee - 33-34
      Chris - 94-100
      Martin - 127-129
      Ryan - 170-176
      -

Comment

As has been much discussed, I am sorry to hear about Sanctuary's cancellation. When talking in the Stargate Universe threads, it seemed like HBO had a winning model for scripted programming: no advertising, watch when you want, and pay a subscription.

I suppose it's old fashioned in a way: I looked forward to a weekly show about heroes and villains, and interesting ideas, without being too dark or gritty. Isn't it natural for a show to lose viewership over time? I live in Canada, so I get the Space channel, but it's too bad that Space, Syfy and Sky (UK?) could not share the cost of scripted programming and share money from dvd, merchandising rights.

There's a lot of scifi series such as the New BSG, Star Trek DS9, Babylon 5, Stargate (SG1 and SGA), that got a good run and a fair degree of closure. I think Sanctuary ended on a great note, though, because I can't see abnormals being accepted on the Surface. Dr. Magnus built a kind of ideal new-Praxis, better than the police state of the Ranna's city, so perhaps one day the abnormals would indeed rise to help and educate the Surface dwellers, and live among them freely. - Dean

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
          The Leo Awards have put up their photo galleries - http://www.leoawards.com/2012/events...aphy_2012.html
          Was James Bamford in a few of the pictures, like Gala 85, because I thought I saw him in there?

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Here's some more of The Leo Awards for those interested :
            http://youtu.be/hDs7ZLUK4Q8
            http://youtu.be/c_H82edUmJI
            -

Comment

Does anyone still think Sanctuary has a future?

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
                I would like to think that it does because
                1. if fans are still willing to show their appreciation for the series (any of these: write and/or read fan fiction, do artwork, make and/or watch music videos, role play in an RPG, rewatch the series and discuss it, go to conventions that either have someone from the show or is convention for the show itself, etc.) then I would like to think that that means there's still interest and if there's still interest then the show still has a future.

and

2. If there's money down the road and the people on the show are willing do something more for the show, like a made for tv movie or 3 part miniseries, then there will be even more Sanctuary to discuss and maybe Sanctuary will get new fans out it.

Look at Farscape, the show got canceled on a cliffhanger and got a miniseries and graphic novels among other things. Sure Sanctuary didn't get canceled on a cliffhanger but I'd like to think it will have the same luck as Farscape.

When I heard about Sanctuary's cancellation, back when it was announced, it made me want to keep my Sanctuary RPG going more than ever.

In a nutshell: the fans keeping their interest in the show, MAD and the cast willing to do more and money down the road for Sanctuary to do more.

When the rewatch for the show happens down the road here on Gateworld someone could post about the rewatch on the official Sanctuary face book page and the section at SYFY forums and get people discussing it all over again not just here but those places as well.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

I think it's a valid universe and show with interest in it, but given the economic climate, networks don't have much money for 'risky' propositions, they want sure bets. unscripted junk is a sure bet - and a less risky one since they're so cheap.

I can see a reboot of sanctuary some day, but it's like Stargate, not any time soon.

We get back into a boon economy with enthusiasm and positive vibes and they start looking for new shows to pitch, i can see reboots of both of them being possible.
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    I think it's a valid universe and show with interest in it, but given the economic climate, networks don't have much money for 'risky' propositions, they want sure bets. unscripted junk is a sure bet - and a less risky one since they're so cheap.

I can see a reboot of sanctuary some day, but it's like Stargate, not any time soon.

We get back into a boon economy with enthusiasm and positive vibes and they start looking for new shows to pitch, i can see reboots of both of them being possible.
                    I think it's much more likely to see a Stargate reboot/ new series than a SAnctuary one as Stargate is owned by a big studio - maybe once MGM starts earning big with new Bond movie and Hobbit, they would reconsider Stargate franchise

Comment

Originally posted by planet_tv View Post
                      I would like to think that it does because
                      1. if fans are still willing to show their appreciation for the series (any of these: write and/or read fan fiction, do artwork, make and/or watch music videos, role play in an RPG, rewatch the series and discuss it, go to conventions that either have someone from the show or is convention for the show itself, etc.) then I would like to think that that means there's still interest and if there's still interest then the show still has a future.

and

2. If there's money down the road and the people on the show are willing do something more for the show, like a made for tv movie or 3 part miniseries, then there will be even more Sanctuary to discuss and maybe Sanctuary will get new fans out it.

Look at Farscape, the show got canceled on a cliffhanger and got a miniseries and graphic novels among other things. Sure Sanctuary didn't get canceled on a cliffhanger but I'd like to think it will have the same luck as Farscape.

When I heard about Sanctuary's cancellation, back when it was announced, it made me want to keep my Sanctuary RPG going more than ever.

In a nutshell: the fans keeping their interest in the show, MAD and the cast willing to do more and money down the road for Sanctuary to do more.

When the rewatch for the show happens down the road here on Gateworld someone could post about the rewatch on the official Sanctuary face book page and the section at SYFY forums and get people discussing it all over again not just here but those places as well.
                      There's that word again "miniseries" but what does it mean? I mean, what's the difference from a S5 and a miniseries? I hope Amanda talks about it at the expo, since it'll be her first con since... I'm sure a fan or fans will want to now what's going on, and she did talk about it at Calgary before anyone even asked.

WHR is still hopeful, and I'd like to thank Chelle for being there with us the other night. Her voice is so cute.

Comment

As a televised production, IMHO nope. No funding = no show.

As a fandom, definitely, there are still many fans worldwide interested in fanfic, rewatches, etc. I can even see some fan-made graphic novels/novels being made down the line.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                          As a televised production, IMHO nope. No funding = no show.

As a fandom, definitely, there are still many fans worldwide interested in fanfic, rewatches, etc. I can even see some fan-made graphic novels/novels being made down the line.
                          WHR is still hopeful, and they want to see how PNW does. My best friend still has faith, and I do hope Amanda talks about it at the expo. I also see people tweeting Space about picking the show up.

I could write volumes on why I'd love that, but we all know.

Comment

Space can't afford to pick up the show, if they could they wouldn't be cancelled right now.
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                              Space can't afford to pick up the show, if they could they wouldn't be cancelled right now.
                              I hope Amanda talks about the show at the expo. This did not have to happen, it didn't have to be like this, that's what upsets me. I see quite a few people on twitter asking Space to pick it up, and it would be perfect if they do. I'm not saying that because it's our main sci-fi network, but because Space actually likes and supports the show, so it'd be great.

Comment

WHR is still hopeful, and they want to see how PNW does. My best friend still has faith, and I do hope Amanda talks about it at the expo. I also see people tweeting Space about picking the show up.

I could write volumes on why I'd love that, but we all know.
                                Sanctuary's budget came from the Beedie group and license fees from various networks around the world. Until any company can give all of the money that the Beedie Group provided as well as all those license fees, Sanctuary as a TV show cannot be produced.

And no channel, not even Space, can pick up a show that's not even being produced.

Like I said, unfortunately no funds = no show, but that doesn't mean we still can't enjoy the series. Anyone still up for that rewatch discussion mentioned a while back? I've been wanting to watch season 3.0 again.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X