Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New article just released today ...
    Syfy Makes Huge Push Toward Reality Programming
    New hires in the executive rank hints at where cable channel's focus is heading

http://www.airlockalpha.com/node/888...ogramming.html

Quote from the article:
    An expansion of reality programming does not necessarily have to come at the sacrifice of scripted shows like "Sanctuary" and "Warehouse 13." Instead, Syfy is a 24-hour cable channel with plenty of timeslots to fill
    While this is nothing new to anyone that watches the Syfy network ... reality tv has increased dramatically in the last two or three years on syfy ... but at the same time they still have original shows like
    Alphas (going into it's 2nd season)
    Being Human (going into it's 2nd season)
    Haven (going into it's 3rd season)
    W13 (going into it's 4th season)
    Sanctuary (waiting for renewal of it's 5th season)
    Eureka (waiting to air it's final 5th season)

They still have original mini series like Alice, Tin Man and Neverland. So while realty shows outnumber original scripted shows, I think they still try and maintain some number of scripted shows to increase a wide variety of viewers. I'm not that big on reality shows, I can't think of one that I watch with any consistency.

Perhaps they just need to let the three new executives get settled before announcing renewals on the scripted side of the network.

Comment

I do like how they said that it "does not necessarily have to come at the sacrifice of scripted shows like "Sanctuary" and "Warehouse 13." ...that gives hope to a 5th season.
      "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
      Hug Your Loved Ones!!
      ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db View Post
        i do like how they said that it "does not necessarily have to come at the sacrifice of scripted shows like "sanctuary" and "warehouse 13." ...that gives hope to a 5th season.
        sally

sigpic

Comment

^^

The wait is killing me, but this gives me some hope.
          sigpic

Comment

Uh people, why are you drawing hope from a Hinman article? An article based on a THR article based on a Syfy press release about them beefing up their reality programming staff.

I'm all for keeping your hope up but maybe do it from something more pertinent than Hinman's opinion? Hinman also says "However, that doesn't mean that there won't be less scripted programming in the future.", sounds like he's just covering the bases with no actual information.
            -

Comment

Aww c'mon RoX...let us have our little bit of hope..the smigde that it is. It's better than anything we've hads thus far.
              Hug Your Loved Ones!!
              ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                Aww c'mon RoX...let us have our little bit of hope..the smigde that it is. It's better than anything we've hads thus far.
                It's not even a smidge though Chelle. It's a blogger's wishy washy, potentially contradictory opinion based on another article based on a press release of an unrelated subject.
                -

Comment

But, but, but...it sounded good at the time...please mum, can we have our fun???
                  Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                  ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

I'm going to continue to live in my ignorant, optimistic little bubble for now
                    sigpic

Comment

Well, as far as I'm concerned, it ain't dead til it's dead.

And I'll certainly enjoy the sorta emotionless waiting instead of dreading the 'omg, omg, omg the sky is falling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111' that will come if the show is cancelled. managing the anger, resentment and general morass of negativity when a show dies is just exhausting. I for one am enjoying the ambivalence
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

No news is better than bad news. At least it means they're still considering renewal? I hope.
                        sigpic
                        Thanks to yamiinsane for my lovely sig.

Comment

I live in hope, though that article doesn't help...

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                            I live in hope, though that article doesn't help...
                            i never even read the article, i just responded to the snippet shown here.
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

LOL Rox - No matter what your opinion is of the blogger or the poster that linked the article to this thread. I still find it interesting because syfy hired three new executives specifically for their reality TV show background .... The network is already heavy loaded with reality shows and more coming next season. AND YET they still maintain scripted shows some brand new and some older bringing in loyal viewers. So what if he gives a positive opinion on what it could mean on scripted shows.

Shock of all shocks someone dare give an opinion in an article (and notice I linked the article here rather than in your news thread) - I don't see anything wrong with it. What does it mean for the networks future? I dunno that's why it's in a discussion thread, but the fact that they continue to have scripted shows. In my opinion it's still a good sign for sanctuary despite the hires ... and you're right it is only my opinion but this is again a discussion thread. And you are free to pick apart the blogger and belittle him and anything he writes for whatever reason ... fact is syfy still made the hires. One man gave his opinion why that doesn't have to be bad for sanctuary or scripted show, I find it interesting ... you obviously don't.
                              Last edited by ann_sgcfan; 11 January 2012, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
                                LOL Rox only you could find something to complain about. No matter what your opinion is of the blogger, the poster that linked the article to this thread. I still find it interesting because syfy hired three new executives specifically for their reality TV show background .... The network is already heavy loaded with reality shows and more coming next season. And you're right you have every right to dislike any positive spin from these new hires, which I gave and so did the author of the article.

While shock of all shocks someone dare give an opinion in an article (and notice I linked the article here rather than in your news thread) - I don't see it any anything wrong with putting a positive spin on it. And you're right you are free to dislike any discussion on this topic, but I still find it interesting.
                                Unfortunately you are misinterpreting my motives and what I posted, which had nothing to do with me disliking "any positive spin from these new hires". My post also had nothing to do with my opinion of you, and had less to do about the new hires but more to do with Chelle's post which took a fraction of the article and said that we could take hope for a season 5 from it; which BTW a subsequent poster did seem to do.

I asked a direct question and injected some context. Agree with it, disagree with it or ignore it but please stop trying to ascribe ulterior motivations to my posting. I'm a fairly direct person and write that way.

Syfy sent out a press release about expanding their Unscripted Programming Department. THR wrote an article about it. Hinman wrote an article about the THR article. Ann found the article interesting. Chelle and some following posters indicate that it gives hope for a S5 for Sanctuary. I ask why and give some context.

My question still stands and I'll rewrite it plainly so you don't have to go reading anything into it that isn't written.

Why do some people think that expanding the Unscripted Programming Department at Syfy is good news for a Sanctuary S5 renewal?

And here's another one, Hinman wrote in his article "An expansion of reality programming does not necessarily have to come at the sacrifice of scripted shows like "Sanctuary" and "Warehouse 13."" but he also writes "However, that doesn't mean that there won't be less scripted programming in the future.". Does either quote affect your hopes for Sanctuary S5 and how?
                                -

Comment

Working...
                                X