Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post

Sadly, I have to agree with you...One Night is likely to be one of the eps with commentary...mind you having said that there will be a special on Amanda directing One Night so maybe they can skip the commentary. One can only hope right??
    Much as I disliked One Night, I think it might be interesting to hear Amanda's comments on it.

I actually love hearing MW talk...for me he brings the others back down to earth & reality to talk about the show/ep...and he has a really yummy voice...his voice would be nice on my GPS...don't worry Jumble...I know he's all yours but...I'm gonna spoiler this so as to not offend anyone who may read this without the fun that is intended...
    Spoiler:
    there's a saying my dad used to use...you can look & get your appetite but always go home for dinner!!

Believe it or not, that's my first reason for liking his commentaries

I guess it's a point of view thing, but I always felt on the SG commentaries that he was the one that hardly got a word in, especially if M. Gero was around

I wish........

I'm hoping that everyone gets a chance to be on the commentaries - JY was brilliant on Sleepers and CH equally so on Haunted, so lets cross our fingers and hope they all get a fair share

What I really don't want is a PDL commentary

Comment

yeah, the ones i've disliked the most were the ones that PDL did in stargate - just because he was so needlessly crude...and i know he thinks he's funny but the potty 'humor' got real old, real fast. I kept thinking 'oh, grow up' and stopped listening to his.

the other one that got tiring was the hero one. and i couldn't even watch warriors again, even to listen to the commentary.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        yeah, the ones i've disliked the most were the ones that PDL did in stargate - just because he was so needlessly crude...and i know he thinks he's funny but the potty 'humor' got real old, real fast. I kept thinking 'oh, grow up' and stopped listening to his.

the other one that got tiring was the hero one. and i couldn't even watch warriors again, even to listen to the commentary.
        Exactly! I've never gotten through a whole commentary of his because of that, and stopped even trying

A bit of real humour is great, but I listen to the commentaries to hear about the ep, how and why certain things were done and little titbits about what went on bts. My favourites are when Martin and Amanda get together, because for me they get the right mix of humour and information, and they make it interesting

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
          I never meant you in particular, just that some might. I also read some some saying they wouldn't on twitter. I'm like that also, I but both the regular and blu-ray DVD. Back in S1, I bought 5 copies, just to help the DVD sells.

Then please be more careful in the future before you include my comments in your multi-quote.

Originally posted by samcartersg1 View Post
          Since Amanda directed One Night she would probably do the commentary so I kind of hope that episode does have commentary because her commentaries are the best and will probably be the only rewatch I will do of the episode
          I was thinking that. I would be OK with it if she sticks to the mechanics of directing the episode. Best if she doesn't do it with DK so we don't hear about the story!

I'm with those who commented on the PDL commentaries. He used to get way off topic and too crude. I also agree that Martin G dominated his commentaries and that sometimes, even MW can dominate too much.

I appreciate that those doing commentaries do them for free and I am grateful for that but let's have some balance. Those who do commentaries need to realise that most fans want to hear from the actors so don't push them too far aside. We also like to hear some BTS stuff. While we do like to hear some technical talk, don't go overboard, the majority of fans are not into the type of lens or camera that you need to describe it in endless detail, just give us the basics. We love humour but, again, don't go so far that you forget to talk about the episode. Let everyone have a chance to talk. Just MHO.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

One would think that somebody would have "enlightened" PDL after all this time that his potty mouth is not appreciated. I don't pay good money to listen to junk like that on the commentaries. And it tempts me to not even buy the DVDs, but I can always skip any commentary with his name on it, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
              A bit of real humour is great, but I listen to the commentaries to hear about the ep, how and why certain things were done and little titbits about what went on bts. My favourites are when Martin and Amanda get together, because for me they get the right mix of humour and information, and they make it interesting
              i love amanda and martin together too, *b/c* they talk about the episode! but bring amanda, martin, and damian together, and amanda and damian go nutso together and forget hearing one thing about the episode!

~but listening to those three together, with amanda giggling constantly... good times, good time ~
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                One would think that somebody would have "enlightened" PDL after all this time that his potty mouth is not appreciated. I don't pay good money to listen to junk like that on the commentaries. And it tempts me to not even buy the DVDs, but I can always skip any commentary with his name on it, I guess.
                when peter did commentaries with gary jones... oh boy
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                  Quite a few S8 commentaries.

When he did them with Amanda, he'd talk dirty a lot and try to get her to join in.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
                    Much as I disliked One Night, I think it might be interesting to hear Amanda's comments on it.

Believe it or not, that's my first reason for liking his commentaries

I guess it's a point of view thing, but I always felt on the SG commentaries that he was the one that hardly got a word in, especially if M. Gero was around

I wish........

I'm hoping that everyone gets a chance to be on the commentaries - JY was brilliant on Sleepers and CH equally so on Haunted, so lets cross our fingers and hope they all get a fair share

What I really don't want is a PDL commentary

I'm not bothered by potty mouth, but it's one thing to make a funny comment, it's another to beat the joke into the ground. I enjoyed his commentaries when he stuck to the subject. He's a great director and had interesting things to say about directing. He just needed to stay on point.

i love amanda and martin together too, *b/c* they talk about the episode! but bring amanda, martin, and damian together, and amanda and damian go nutso together and forget hearing one thing about the episode!

~but listening to those three together, with amanda giggling constantly... good times, good time ~
                    That's why the podcasts were great. They were for fun. But the commentaries need to be more about the episode. You know they're going to get off track some times (with them it's inevitable ) And I agree about preferring the actor commentaries. I like the directing/production information, but only in small doses. If the technical info goes on too long, I start to lose interest. One reason why the commentary for Grace was THE single most disappointing commentary ever. If there was ever an episode that should have had actor commentary, it was that one.

Agreed.

For arguments sake, on the topic of Helen dying at the end of the series, what about if it was what she wanted. She's expressed before that she's sometimes tired of going on while all around her die. If the end was Helen finding her peace, would people feel the same way. I certainly wouldn't want a tragic ending, but I'm not sure how I would feel about the above scenario.
                    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                    William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                    Anon

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
                      One reason why the commentary for Grace was THE single most disappointing commentary ever. If there was ever an episode that should have had actor commentary, it was that one.
                      maybe we can ask amanda to do a podcast for 'grace'.

For arguments sake, on the topic of Helen dying at the end of the series, what about if it was what she wanted. She's expressed before that she's sometimes tired of going on while all around her die. If the end was Helen finding her peace, would people feel the same way. I certainly wouldn't want a tragic ending, but I'm not sure how I would feel about the above scenario.
                      i know a death for a character can be very poignant and emotional, but there has to be another way for helen to be released from her curse of longevity, *without* it being her death. can't she find peace with just the longevity being stopped, and her living the rest of her life in a normal way? or, she finds ashley, and goes off to live with her?...

i know i'm stretching, but i'm not, b/c her death isn't the only way for her to find peace, and isn't the only way for a poignant ending.

opinions/tastes aside
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

I think the worst one i ever heard was the one for disclosure...gary jones and someone else and all they did was yak about any and everything but the episode.

and i agree...a potty comment, can be funny, but by the 8th time he's made it i'm rolling my eyes with 'yes, yes, yes, got it the first time, dude grow up and move on please'

Maybe he acts better in person, but going by the commentaries, he's a personality i wouldn't want to 'take' anywhere but a bar, and even then the vulgarity would just get old and tiresome.

but when you listen to MAD, you can tell that these 3 are all good friends who are totally at ease with each other.
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

maybe we can ask amanda to do a podcast for 'grace'.

i know a death for a character can be very poignant and emotional, but there has to be another way for helen to be released from her curse of longevity, *without* it being her death. can't she find peace with just the longevity being stopped, and her living the rest of her life in a normal way? or, she finds ashley, and goes off to live with her?...

i know i'm stretching, but i'm not, b/c her death isn't the only way for her to find peace, and isn't the only way for a poignant ending.

opinions/tastes aside
                          Certainly not the only option. Just throwing it out there to start some conversation. It's been too quiet. I like your idea of her longevity being cured as the ending. Then we can all imagine Helen enjoying her "golden years" (200-250)

I think the worst one i ever heard was the one for disclosure...gary jones and someone else and all they did was yak about any and everything but the episode.

and i agree...a potty comment, can be funny, but by the 8th time he's made it i'm rolling my eyes with 'yes, yes, yes, got it the first time, dude grow up and move on please'

Maybe he acts better in person, but going by the commentaries, he's a personality i wouldn't want to 'take' anywhere but a bar, and even then the vulgarity would just get old and tiresome.

but when you listen to MAD, you can tell that these 3 are all good friends who are totally at ease with each other.
                          Completely agree.
                          Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                          William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                          Anon

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                            I'm with those who commented on the PDL commentaries. He used to get way off topic and too crude. I also agree that Martin G dominated his commentaries and that sometimes, even MW can dominate too much.
                            I reckon MW talks a lot more coz the others are usually on the floor laughing their asses off from eating too many wine gums!!! Lots of giggling & silly antics going on...someone has to be the grown up!! Having said that...hearing the giggling in the background means I don't hear much of the commentaries as I join in on the giggling...it's contagious!!
                            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
                              That's why the podcasts were great. They were for fun. But the commentaries need to be more about the episode. You know they're going to get off track some times (with them it's inevitable ) And I agree about preferring the actor commentaries. I like the directing/production information, but only in small doses. If the technical info goes on too long, I start to lose interest. One reason why the commentary for Grace was THE single most disappointing commentary ever. If there was ever an episode that should have had actor commentary, it was that one.
                              Agreed.

I've thought about that too. I don't want her to die either, for very selfish reasons. I love the character too much and it would break my heart if she were to die. That said, I decided back at the end of season 2 that I would like an ending were she loses her longevity because that's what she wanted for a while (and I think she still does). By losing her longevity, you know that she will die one day, a grown, old woman and that Will will be the one taking over when that happens. But, since she doesn't die, I won't cry like a baby watching the ending. (In SFA, he brings Will in. The logical ending is having him take over her.)
                              Last edited by LadyGalaxyJ; 13 June 2011, 03:52 PM. Reason: Typo!
                              sigpic
                              Live Peace. Speak Kindness. Dwell in possibility.
                              My Livejournal. | My fanfictions. | My videos. | My twitter.
                              Beautiful avi and sig are birthday presents fom josiane!

Comment

so while watching the ep, 'out of the blue', this thought came to mind. no spoilers involved, though.

i've figured out how i want helen's curse/cure to be handled! her longevity curse is cured/stopped, and she decides to run an orphanage for abnormal children. she's mother to MANY motherless children now.

there!
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X