Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
    Sigh.... I love my mother, I really do *rolls eyes*

Spoiler:

Mum: Guess what? I've found this great new show. It's on the Sci Fi Channel but Kelly and Mark say it was on ITV or something first. Very surprising, actually, I thought Sky would have picked it up.

Me: Oh? What's it called?

Mum: Sanctuary. It's about this Victorian woman who helps abnormals and she used to be engaged to Jack the Ripper and has his daughter and...

Me: That's the thing you watched with me at Christmas, Mum. The one you thought was fascinating and were really interested in. The one that I've been telling you about for the past two years?!

Mum: I thought that was The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes or The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen or somethin.

Me: Nope. That was Sanctuary.

Mum: Ah, that's why it's familiar. But it says Amanda Tapping is in the show, which is why I mentioned it, because I know you're a big fan as well. But I can't work out who she's playing.

Me: Helen Magnus.

Mum: What about Helen Magnus?

Me: Amanda Tapping is playing Helen Magnus.

Mum: But it doesn't sound like Amanda Tapping. And I always guess actors based on how they sound. And the accent is far too good - the delicate hybrid...

Me: Mum, I can send you a picture of me stood with Amanda looking like that. It's Amanda Tapping. Trust me.

Mum: But I thought she was involved with that shockingly boring webseries you kept going on about a while back.

Me: That boring webseries is Sanctuary.

Mum: That's called Sanctuary as well? How confusing!

Me: No, Mum.... they turned the webseries into a TV series. It's the same thing. The first three episodes are basically new versions of the webisodes.

Mum: But they were really cool. And the web things were boring. All that stuff about witches and King Arthur.

Me: Have you actually been watching the TV series, Mum?

Mum: Yes. But there's guns. And monsters. And a girl who's kinda like Buffy. None of that boring guy who lives with the plants.

Me: Wexford.

Mum: That's the one.

Me: Mum, that was played by your favourite actor.

Mum: My favourite actor is that lovely chap from Atlantis. The one who signed my DVDs. Paul. He's such a lovely -

Me: Yes, Mum. That's the one.

Mum: Well... I like Sanctuary and I'm very angry that you didn't tell me about it before.

Me: *headdesk*
    *hugs me lil' sis*

Aw sweetie... That's too funny. Seriously.
    sigpic
    I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Spoiler:

Mum: Guess what? I've found this great new show. It's on the Sci Fi Channel but Kelly and Mark say it was on ITV or something first. Very surprising, actually, I thought Sky would have picked it up.

Mum: Sanctuary. It's about this Victorian woman who helps abnormals and she used to be engaged to Jack the Ripper and has his daughter and...

Me: That's the thing you watched with me at Christmas, Mum. The one you thought was fascinating and were really interested in. The one that I've been telling you about for the past two years?!

Mum: I thought that was The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes or The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen or somethin.

Mum: Ah, that's why it's familiar. But it says Amanda Tapping is in the show, which is why I mentioned it, because I know you're a big fan as well. But I can't work out who she's playing.

Mum: But it doesn't sound like Amanda Tapping. And I always guess actors based on how they sound. And the accent is far too good - the delicate hybrid...

Me: Mum, I can send you a picture of me stood with Amanda looking like that. It's Amanda Tapping. Trust me.

Mum: But I thought she was involved with that shockingly boring webseries you kept going on about a while back.

Me: No, Mum.... they turned the webseries into a TV series. It's the same thing. The first three episodes are basically new versions of the webisodes.

Mum: But they were really cool. And the web things were boring. All that stuff about witches and King Arthur.

Mum: Yes. But there's guns. And monsters. And a girl who's kinda like Buffy. None of that boring guy who lives with the plants.

Mum: My favourite actor is that lovely chap from Atlantis. The one who signed my DVDs. Paul. He's such a lovely -

Mum: Well... I like Sanctuary and I'm very angry that you didn't tell me about it before.

Aww Tracy, you gotta love Mums eh.

Julia(samcarterrules)
      sigpic
      Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Spoiler:

LMAO!
        Now seriously have her checked up by a psychiatrist... She might need Ebixa, Exelon or Aricept...

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post
          In addition to the excellent points that AstraPerAspera mentioned, take also into account the mystery of the Easter Island monoliths, or moai's. They're quite huge, and it's a mystery how the natives were able to transport them, as the largest of the moai's weighed in excess of 200+ tons.

They're supposed to represent ancestor worship...
          and, one theory about what may have resulted in the come apart of the Easter Island native population is that they got soooo caught up in their ancestor worship, in making the Moai, etc, that they basically worshipped their society into nothing.

(similar to one theory about the Mayans. that they got sooo caught up in building their temples and making the whitewash for them(which was made by boiling down limestone rocks, decimating the area forests along with a persistent drought at the same time) that they kinda forgot those pesky things like insuring enough food, etc.)

So it could also be a comment or allegory on a lack of balance and one's obsessive focus on something resulting in things falling apart.

They may not have looked that deeply into it, but there are lots of examples through history where a society skews its focus so much that the society becomes unbalanced and collapses
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AstraPerAspera View Post
            I'm not sure if it's been discussed, but I'll give you my take on it...

First of all, it's remote. In fact, according to what I've read, it's the most isolated inhabited place on the face of the earth. If Helen were going to look for Ashley, it would probably be the last place she'd ever consider.

More importantly, however, is the name of the place. You're correct: it's Easter Island. Easter is a Christian holiday associated with resurrection and rebirth. Dana tells Ashley Welcome to you new life. She has basically "killed" the Ashley who existed before and raised her from the dead to a new existence. Also...depending on how the cabal plan on using Ashley and the Source (which, if you're familiar with Christian tradition is also an important element in the sacredness of Easter as Christ offers up himself, body and blood, for the redemption of the world)...they could be seen as the same sort of transformative element--albeit evil and perverted--for their plot to create their own army of dedicated followers. "True believers", if you will, although, granted, not of free-will.

Anyway...that's my take on it, for what it's worth.
            Put in spoiler tag to condense message
            Spoiler:
            Wow! I can't believe I didn't see that before. Your idea seems right on. *hits self in head and as a Christian, hangs head in shame *

I guess I wasn't even paying attention to the name of the place to see the connection with Easter (that's going to be my excuse anyway )

I was more focused on the actual place and where it was and what it could have been. What's the saying, "can't see the forest because of the trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              So it could also be a comment or allegory on a lack of balance and one's obsessive focus on something resulting in things falling apart.

They may not have looked that deeply into it, but there are lots of examples through history where a society skews its focus so much that the society becomes unbalanced and collapses
              Mild spoilery references to Rev:
              Spoiler:
              I tend to agree that they likely didn't look that deeply into it (but... tbh... wouldn't put it past them). That said, I love the idea that it is a bit of an allegory. Imho, while it might not have made a real difference in the events that happened, I can't help but think by the end of Rev2 at least Helen, and possibly others, realize they'd done just that - become so focused on what they were doing that they failed to pay attention to Ashley and give her the support she almost certainly would have needed given everything she'd been through recently. And, while she might have ended up right there on Easter Island regardless, the guilt of 'what if' can be powerful. The scene where Ashley is unreasonably desperate to get Helen to let her go after the Cabal so they won't have to go after the Source just screams unstable emotional state (to me) and I wonder if Helen realizes that after the fact. Definitely a failure to remember to put first things first.

But I do tend to think it was chosen because it of the 'Easter' analogy and the remoteness of the locale. Still, things that make ya go 'hmmmm...'

Comment

Given all the subtleties in the writing of Sanctuary, I actually would say they probably HAVE looked that deeply into it.
                Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                  Mild spoilery references to Rev:
                  Spoiler:
                  I tend to agree that they likely didn't look that deeply into it (but... tbh... wouldn't put it past them). That said, I love the idea that it is a bit of an allegory. Imho, while it might not have made a real difference in the events that happened, I can't help but think by the end of Rev2 at least Helen, and possibly others, realize they'd done just that - become so focused on what they were doing that they failed to pay attention to Ashley and give her the support she almost certainly would have needed given everything she'd been through recently. And, while she might have ended up right there on Easter Island regardless, the guilt of 'what if' can be powerful. The scene where Ashley is unreasonably desperate to get Helen to let her go after the Cabal so they won't have to go after the Source just screams unstable emotional state (to me) and I wonder if Helen realizes that after the fact. Definitely a failure to remember to put first things first.
                  I thought the same thing about that scene between Ashley and Helen (and Henry )

Spoiler:
                  It wasn't very consistent with past behavior for either one of the two. Even though Ashley is not always a think first, act second type of girl, I think even she would have seen the irrationality of going in alone, in spite of Henry presence to the Cabal main camp. I,too, got the impression that this was evidence of unresolved issues which caused her to desperately not want to use the source blood to fix the problem. Also, on Helen's end, I can't imagine that she was thinking clearly and for whatever reason; be it guilt over not telling Ashley the truth earlier and wanting to "fix" it by caving in to what Ashley wanted, or if Helen was just so wrapped up in her own agenda -- that she would have let Ashley and Henry go in alone.

Comment

Well...given the depth of the writing in Sanctuary, I wouldn't be surprised if there were layers and layers of meaning with the choice of location. And just to point out as well...cuz it didn't occur to me until I saw Jenn's abbreviation for the episode...that "Revelations" works on many levels as well, including the biblical and apocalyptic.
                    sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:

Do we have the same mother?
                      Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                      William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                      Anon

Comment

Originally posted by AstraPerAspera View Post
                        Well...given the depth of the writing in Sanctuary, I wouldn't be surprised if there were layers and layers of meaning with the choice of location. And just to point out as well...cuz it didn't occur to me until I saw Jenn's abbreviation for the episode...that "Revelations" works on many levels as well, including the biblical and apocalyptic.
                        Wow, some great thoughts and insights about the possible reasons for choosing the Easter Island location in Revelations. At the time I thought they just used it as a unique location they could show with the green screen technology, but I'm liking these layers of meanings better.

sigpic

Comment

Well, by early Monday morning (the deadline for those questions to Amanda Tapping) I ended up with approximately 18 pages worth. Since it’s likely that she has plans between now and early 2010, I trimmed the list down to a far more manageable 7 pages and sent them her way.
                          http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-amanda-bound/
                          sigpic
                          The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Spoiler:

LOL! You do realise that this is an indication of how you end up, eh?

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                              LOL! You do realise that this is an indication of how you end up, eh?

(((TJ)))

suse
                              sigpic
                              Mourning Sanctuary.
                              Thanks for the good times!

Comment

amanda's new amanda-kamil interview was great , but i had some probs (as usual) hearing some of it. this time, though, i could understand amanda, but it was kamil's questions i could barely make out. so i'm waiting on the transcript.

but until then, can anyone remember some of what amanda said about the upcoming season 2?

what i do remember, though, is her saying she's going to do the 3rd sg1 movie, she's just not sure how much she'll be in it because of scheduling.

but back to the sanctuary parts; anyone have a run-down?
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X