Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minigeek View Post

Speaking of kiddies, mine have just eviscerated their stuffed starfish and are now sharing in the spongy cotton glory of its innards ... all over my couch... must go moderate their levity.

geek(whose kiddies are four-legged, and furry)
    Yeah that's about how things go around here at our house as well. Our chocolate lab chew through an extra large, supposedly indestructable rope about twenty minutes after we gave it to her. Rubber balls and anything with a squeaker in them are normally destroyed within minutes. I'm just thankful she hasn't eaten my sofa or baseboards.

Comment

Awesome RoX.. I think a chatroom party on sf.com will defenitely be in order!

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
      That idea of a launch party is really good. I've been talking with my cousins (well IMing) and we were considering having an online launch party for family and friends. My family is pretty much spread all over the country and the world so most of us utilise the net to keep in regular touch. So far I have tentatively lined up 2 cousins, 1 nephew and 3 friends
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
        I second that, Strix.
        I understand yours and Strix's fears here but I think it'll all work out.

It looks to me like they're setting up Sanctuary so that it can be viewed in a variety of ways. The fact that they're also cutting the webisodes in such a way as to accommodate a tv hour-long format suggests to me that they are getting all their ducks in a row to ensure that anyone and everyone with an interest in the show will have a chance to get involved on some level.

But what's key here to me at least is their absolute devotion to the convergence concept. They are creating a virtual world with Sanctuary and regardless of what happens, are not going to walk away from this new media.
        Last edited by Uber; 15 March 2007, 08:37 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
          I understand yours and Strix's fears here but I think it'll all work out.

It looks to me like they're setting up Sanctuary so that it can be viewed in a variety of ways. The fact that they're also cutting the webisodes in such a way as to accommodate a tv hour-long format suggests to me that they are getting all their ducks in a row to ensure that anyone and everyone with an interest in the show will have a chance to get involved on some level.

But what's key here to me at least is their absolute devotion to the convergence concept. They are creating a virtual world with Sanctuary and regardless of what happens, are not going to walk away from this new media.

I agree with you Uber. I don't think either of you should be worried. From what I can see the people involved are extremely interested in ensuring that the fanbase is catered for in all its incarnations:- tech geek, technophobe, average viewer, families viewing together, fans viewing together or in tandem etc etc. The fact that the beta testers are just simply people who signed up at the beginning speaks to that. There was no criteria for how computer literate you were, just that you were interested in doing it. I think the testing period may iron out some problems and don't forget the fan community can always help everyone if they have problems technically.

Perhaps Uber, it might be worth having a section on the fan website which is for help in understanding how to get the episodes from the web or other technical queries and have fans provide a support network who are computer literate. Just a thought. It may assuage some fears. And if the actual Sanctuaryforall.com website does have a technical help section perhaps then you can link to that and have fans available on your site who can help people understand.

I think Sanctuary will have a community spirit feeling to it like no other show that's gone before it, even better in the end than Stargate has and that will be something. The cast, crew and everyone behind it seems to understand us and want us to be involved and stay involved. That is the key. A symbiotic relationship which is good for everyone. A long lasting show, an extremely loyal fandom (there already but building fast) and a crew, cast and production team who truly understand, love and want to do this.

As I've said before - fantastic!

Julia
          To influence the quality of another's day. That is the essence of life.sigpic

Comment

Great interview with Damien gang!
            Thanks to everyone who has offered to help the less tech savvy with any issues when Sanctuary goes live.

Comment

Just popping in to say, "way to go" Myrth, Ooobs and Shelly with Damians interview!

Comment

Originally posted by JuliaR View Post
                Perhaps Uber, it might be worth having a section on the fan website which is for help in understanding how to get the episodes from the web or other technical queries and have fans provide a support network who are computer literate. Just a thought. It may assuage some fears. And if the actual Sanctuaryforall.com website does have a technical help section perhaps then you can link to that and have fans available on your site who can help people understand.
                Great idea! I'd love to learn how to play in Sanctuary land. From Damian's most recent interview it sounds like you will be able to create/ modify some of the world? Make your own mini story lines? Wow.

And, great interview Damian, Uber, Myrth, and Shelley! Thanks.

Sanctuary: Over 1.8 million served.
                Last edited by tagger; 16 March 2007, 08:02 PM.
                Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
                Quint Studer

Comment

I agree with you Uber. I don't think either of you should be worried. From what I can see the people involved are extremely interested in ensuring that the fanbase is catered for in all its incarnations:- tech geek, technophobe, average viewer, families viewing together, fans viewing together or in tandem etc etc. The fact that the beta testers are just simply people who signed up at the beginning speaks to that. There was no criteria for how computer literate you were, just that you were interested in doing it. I think the testing period may iron out some problems and don't forget the fan community can always help everyone if they have problems technically.

I think Sanctuary will have a community spirit feeling to it like no other show that's gone before it, even better in the end than Stargate has and that will be something. The cast, crew and everyone behind it seems to understand us and want us to be involved and stay involved. That is the key. A symbiotic relationship which is good for everyone. A long lasting show, an extremely loyal fandom (there already but building fast) and a crew, cast and production team who truly understand, love and want to do this.

Julia
                  Just focusing on the section I bolded here for a moment...I think to the motto of Stage3Media: "The Future of Media is Convergence."

Now I believe that here they are referring to the merging of online media plus interactive elements and gaming and the community of fans as a whole...

But I think there's a deeper meaning in the word "convergence." I think we'll see a convergence of base fandoms, like science fiction fans and gaming fans and, quite frankly Xena-type fans (those who really dig seeing strong leading women) and geek fans and computer illiterate fans and creative fans and passive fans...etc.

What we are witnessing I believe is what Myrth was talking about in the interview...a revolution. A new era. Now I remember ages ago where, sure we the viewing audience saw companies try to develop delivery systems and such for interactive viewing...but they all fell flat. Why? Because the content wasn't compelling enough nor were the ideas for interactivity.

With Sanctuary, what we'll truly see is an immersive environment...a show that you can live and experience if you choose to, rather than just watch, which you're free to do too.

I think we'll see a true convergence of old media and new media as well as a wide variety of fan types, all coming together to create a whole new experience; and after time and trial and error, I fully expect some form of this new media will become the new standard in entertainment.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Poz View Post
                    Just popping in to say, "way to go" Myrth, Ooobs and Shelly with Damians interview!
                    Originally posted by tagger View Post
                    Great idea! I'd love to learn how to play in Sanctuary land. From Damian's most recent interview it sounds like you will be able to create/ modify some of the world? Make your own mini story lines? Wow.

And, great interview Damian, Uber, Myrth, and Shelley! Thanks.
                    Yes I agree GREAT job ladies on the interview with Damian!! There is a lot of great information in the interview... and to think this weekend we get the +/-2 min trailer ... I can't wait!!

Also I agree with Tagger this little community/town center they have planned for us all to play in sounds like a lot of fun!

Comment

Brilliant suggestion Julia and something we're planning to do since seeing these comments here. Initially we'll set up and area in the forum for people to post their questions and out of the common ones we'll likely setup a 'how to' FAQ on the main page for quick reference. Plus I know I'll be happy to help people having difficulty. We may get the technically oriented members of the community to nominate themselves as 'sancturian supporters' so people know who to go to.

I also agree with your following comments about community spirit. One thing that is going to set this show apart from all others, I think, is the willingness and desire of the production team to involve the fans. In fact I suspect a big part of the concept has been based on that from the word go. So with a mutual enthusiasm for the material and the attitude of open creative collaboration we're seeing from the production I think this show is going to change the world.. just a little. I've been saying that since I saw it and I've been told to wait until I see it.. but I can't help looking at the concept and the execution of it to date and feeling that little sensation in there that this is going to make a HUGE difference in one way or another.

Damian will have his statue.. it might be rendered and stand in a 12ft plasma panel.. but the thought will be there

Julia
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
                        Yes I agree GREAT job ladies on the interview with Damian!! There is a lot of great information in the interview... and to think this weekend we get the +/-2 min trailer ... I can't wait!!

Also I agree with Tagger this little community/town center they have planned for us all to play in sounds like a lot of fun!

sigpic

Comment

ARG! WHERE IS THE NEW
                          TWO MINUTE TEASER!?

(Must not sit all day staring at the Sanctuary webpage willing it to appear!)

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth View Post
                            I also agree with your following comments about community spirit. One thing that is going to set this show apart from all others, I think, is the willingness and desire of the production team to involve the fans. In fact I suspect a big part of the concept has been based on that from the word go.

Damian will have his statue.. it might be rendered and stand in a 12ft plasma panel.. but the thought will be there
                            LOL!

I understand the reasoning and progressive thinking on changing media delivery methods, but what befuddles me is the willingness to involve fans so much...

It seems intuitively better to get fans involved up front rather than after the fact. For one, you can sample the success of your project as you develop it, rather than after millions of dollars and man hours have been spent.

Nonetheless, it still feels like they are more open to fan feedback/ input than I would expect from a pure marketing/ business standpoint. Who thought of all the fan involvement? Why did they think of it? What are the collaborative boundaries? I hope the process is a real encouragement to the creative team!

All in all, the whole concept is pretty exciting!

Can't wait for the trailer.
                            Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
                            Quint Studer

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post
                              ARG! WHERE IS THE NEW
                              TWO MINUTE TEASER!?

(Must not sit all day staring at the Sanctuary webpage willing it to appear!)
                              LOL I've been checking the site regularly. It's Sunday here and I just got up and the first thing I did was check the Sanctuary site!!

*waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting*
                              -

Comment

Here's a little animated gif I made of Ashley kickin' some butt:

Comment

Working...
                                X