Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems to me that what everyone is paying is roughly equivalent. The one thing I noticed when I was in the UK last year is that the prices were the same on the surface. Dinner that would cost $7.99US would be 7.99 in pounds. Of course the 7.99 in pounds would be $16US. So, it seemed to me that the cost of living was the same in the two countries, but in US dollars we were screwed because of the exchange. The dollar sucks right now on the world market.

So, if you look at it as $7 for an American = 7 pounds for a UKer than the price we are paying is the same. If anything, the Ukers are getting it slightly cheaper if they are being charged 6 pounds and we are paying 6.99.

I don't know much about the Aussie exchange, so I can't comment on that.

Everyone should express any concerns they have at the Sanctuary forum. They are very receptive to the fan reaction. All the posting here isn't accomplishing anything. If you want things to change, rise up and tell them! We alone will make or break this endeavor and I for one would like to see it succeed. But we have to help them along at the beginning. We are a part of this and should take advantage of our opportunity. Never before have we had the kind of power over a series as we do here. Let's not whittle it away with griping.
    We have the power.
    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
    William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
    Anon

Comment

Here is a recent quote from Damian Kindler's blog:

http://www.sanctuaryforall.com/blog/index.html

Thursday, May 17, 2007
      "Price check on aisle five...."
      Hey everyone....

First off I want you ALL to know we are taking all of your issues concerning pricing very seriously. It is a large and looming issue and we are aware of it. What I also want to make clear is that we ARE looking into the numbers and discussing the option of a flat pricing model. The company that makes Sanctuary - Stage 3 Media - has modelled its business plan in line with the iTunes pricing model and to change it means some serious bean counting. That said, not for a second do we want to alienate our customers and fans. In fact we strive to do the exact opposite.

We are currently reviewing our pricing model to find the best fit for Sanctuary. These issues are important and we're listening to you.

Stay tuned.

DK
      I hope they do fix this pricing issue and adopt a simple flat rate for all. I am glad they are responsive to the concerns of the fans/community, I just hope this does not cost them to lose good-will or trust from fans.

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady View Post
        Damian has posted on the BLOG about price concerns.

Like I said before these are "the good guys".

They've always been responsive to the fans before and now have addressed these fan concerns with that message on DK's blog that they're looking into things.

I trust them to sort this out.

Julia
        G4
        To influence the quality of another's day. That is the essence of life.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
          It seems to me that what everyone is paying is roughly equivalent. The one thing I noticed when I was in the UK last year is that the prices were the same on the surface. Dinner that would cost $7.99US would be 7.99 in pounds. Of course the 7.99 in pounds would be $16US. So, it seemed to me that the cost of living was the same in the two countries, but in US dollars we were screwed because of the exchange. The dollar sucks right now on the world market.

So, if you look at it as $7 for an American = 7 pounds for a UKer than the price we are paying is the same. If anything, the Ukers are getting it slightly cheaper if they are being charged 6 pounds and we are paying 6.99.
          Er... no. Far from it.

Thanks for the link to the blog, tsaxlady
          scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
            No, because then they are paying About USD$12 and those in the US are paying USD$6.99. To highlight the difference you need to convert all those amounts into One currency.

I don't know much about the Aussie exchange, so I can't comment on that.
            Aussie exchange is something like 80cUS for an AUD.
            Ours converts the other way, so the prices are noticeably different.
            : I would very much like to have a weapon such as this.
            : Yeah, Get in line.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
              I was wondering the same thing yesterday! I was thinking that it'd be cool if they held a contest for naming the webisodes.
              That would be a good idea but don't include me because I usually suck at naming things!

When I was a kid I had a guinea pig named GP and a dog called DOG.
              -

Comment

MoviesOnline - Canada

http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_12027.html

Review: Amanda Tapping’s Sanctuary Impresses

"If you haven’t found the new web-based science fiction series Sanctuary yet, now is the time to take a look. One of the coolest sci-fi projects of recent years, Sanctuary was created by veteran screenwriter and producer Damian Kindler. Kindler co-founded the company Stage 3 Media to make the show and is trying to position the firm at the forefront of the internet entertainment revolution. Early signs from Sanctuary are that he should succeed."

Follow the link for the complete article
                -

Comment

the first webisode was very good, even as i got towards the end and was...umm, haven't i seen this???? the end is what was in the trailer, although it now makes sense once you see the beginning adn know what they're talking about

I think my one concern is the 2 weeks between episodes. They - in the future - might want to consider moving it to a webby a week.

Probably what i'll do is watch them as i get them, then lace them together and sit down and watch them in one chunk
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I was trying to log in to purchase the episodes for download, but it didn't accept my user name and password. Does it need to be different from the forums? Or did that particular forum go away?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChevronSeven View Post
                      I was trying to log in to purchase the episodes for download, but it didn't accept my user name and password. Does it need to be different from the forums? Or did that particular forum go away?

Your sanctuary forum log in isn't the same as the store log in. I just registered using the same info and then made my purchases. The forum auto logs you in but the store info has to be entered each time. it took just a few seconds to register. just ID, password and an e-mail addy were required.

becks
                      G4

Comment

Originally posted by ChevronSeven View Post
                        You have to register again. You can use the same username and password as you have for the forum though.

Comment

I havent been on GateWorld in a long while.
                          But I had to come back on to post about Sanctuary.

I have been a fan of Sanctuary since the end of january and have had the pleasure of speaking to its creators. I think that Sanctuary is fairly priced and that its creators are handling everything fantastically.

I will continue to support it for as long as I possibly can.

Shelley
                          The Official Robin Dunne Website

Brian-J-Smith.Com

HenryFossAddicts.Com

Comment

Originally posted by shelma32 View Post
                            I havent been on GateWorld in a long while.
                            But I had to come back on to post about Sanctuary.

I have been a fan of Sanctuary since the end of january and have had the pleasure of speaking to its creators. I think that Sanctuary is fairly priced and that its creators are handling everything fantastically.
                            Just curious - which of the different prices do you think is the fair one? The one they decided for the US, the most affluent region? Or the higher one they're charging people in New Zealand and Australia? Or the even higher one they're charging people in the UK?

I will continue to support it for as long as I possibly can.
                            Me too, just as soon as they adopt an equitable pricing model. Which I hope they do soon.
                            scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor View Post
                              Just curious - which of the different prices do you think is the fair one? The one they decided for the US, the most affluent region? Or the higher one they're charging people in New Zealand and Australia? Or the even higher one they're charging people in the UK?

that is something we'll have to accept

Ok, so i'm sure they built their financial models on the (making up numbers here)

us paying $8 a bundle
                              aus paying $10
                              canadians paying $9
                              UK paying $16

all american dollars here, converted

so they guestimated how many subs they'll have from each country, which would give them a guestimation as to how much money they're getting, and that's their budget

well if they change that to a flat rate, i don't see them changing it to the lowest. they'd lose too much of their budget (and we gotta remember, most of these folks sank thier own money into this, there's no studio backing them, they ARE the studio)

so, if they revise things, it wouldn't surprise me to see - again just picking numbers out of my head -

$10 american for the bundle
                              which equals 12 canadian, 14 aussie, 5 british

In other words, if there is a revision, don't be surprised if the minimum doesn't go up. they have a hard financial reality to deal with and as much as they'd love to give us this stuff for free, they gotta eat and they gotta pay the rent

---

The one they decided for the US, the most affluent region

since when are we the most affluent???? as far as i see it, the brits got it made when it comes to imports. I buy a 15 pound brit DVD, i pay $30, they buy a $15 dvd, they pay $7.50.

in thier own country they're not the most affluent, but in a world market the pound beats pretty much every currency out there
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I think releasing the show via Intenet is dicy at best ! The first webisode (HD) is already available on torrents... Kinda sad for the creators and actors that put their hearts in the project ! At this rate and with the 2 weeks between the webisodes I really don't give it a chance !

Comment

Working...
                                X