Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wanna see Beast! I don't wanna see a scientist soon-to-be Beast appear on a tv screen for 3 seconds, I want to see the big blue guy himself!

Plus, maybe they'll build a really cool set that Atlantis can use when they're done

Going back to Canada means lots and lots of Stargate actors again (There was 13 in X-2 I think )

Comment

Originally posted by littlemigueljr
      Heh, i don't want to even comment on your negative post, but i would like to say, it was on Fox, they mistreated the show, and what exactly does "...no terrestial channel picked it up." mean?
      Terrestrial/Free-to-Air channel(not cable/sattalite or any other pay-to-view) basicly when a show hits terrestrial TV in the UK I believe its the equivilant to it airing in US syndication. In fact thinking about it Firefly wasn't even shown on a good cable channel over here I think Sci-Fi run about 4 eps and then canceled it. As for saying it was Fox mistreating the show, this is the excuse everyone gives me for it and I'd like to make it known that I actually brought the DVD set and watched it in order and I still despise it being called a sci-fi.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitster
        Terrestrial/Free-to-Air channel(not cable/sattalite or any other pay-to-view) basicly when a show hits terrestrial TV in the UK I believe its the equivilant to it airing in US syndication. In fact thinking about it Firefly wasn't even shown on a good cable channel over here I think Sci-Fi run about 4 eps and then canceled it. As for saying it was Fox mistreating the show, this is the excuse everyone gives me for it and I'd like to make it known that I actually brought the DVD set and watched it in order and I still despise it being called a sci-fi.
        Fox did mishandle Firefly. They promoted it all wrong, had no idea what they really had and then compounded the problem by airing the show in wrong order.

Personally I'm not sure that Firefly could have survived on Fox even if it had been managed properly, but it certainly could have pulled in number bigger then Stargate. It's just that staying on the air on a network is HARD, especially for a niche program.

And a movie doesn't need any built in fanbase etc. Do not forget that most movies are not based on any existing property. They can only rely on their own value and PR for success. Changing the name to Serenity will hopefully distance the film from the (undeserved) stygma that the show got because it was cancelled.

Also, Firefly did incredible business on DVD. Not everyone who bought/saw it on DVD loved it, but clealy a lot of people did. Given that they've by now sold millions of DVDs I think it's fair to say that the movie should do decent business if just those people show up.

Comment

Why do you 'despise it being called Sci Fi'? Just curious.

Madeleine

Comment

Heh, i don't want to even comment on your negative post, but i would like to say, it was on Fox, they mistreated the show, and what exactly does "...no terrestial channel picked it up." mean?
            Because the plots never seemed to focus around any sort of science, just the crews missions and relationships, sorry if I expect science fiction to feature some fiction involving science, I just found it more of a drama/soap. Also what was with the lack of aliens?

Comment

Because the plots never seemed to focus around any sort of science, just the crews missions and relationships, sorry if I expect science fiction to feature some fiction involving science, I just found it more of a drama/soap. Also what was with the lack of aliens?
              Refer to this thread for my view on this subject: http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=4206

Comment

Originally posted by ibwolf
                Also, Firefly did incredible business on DVD.
                Yes, it did. And continues to do so. Also, as of right now there are 1111 reviews on amazon.com and it still maintains a 5-star average. That's pretty amazing. I don't know of any other show (or even movie) that can say the same. Granted, I haven't looked over them all, I haven't got the patience for that. But I too think it's a good indication of how it will do at the box-office.
                Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

I guess the science fiction is the actual space flight that is done on a day to day basis, colonization of new worlds as well. But i guess it would be classified more of a drama/soap, but i thought it was a good one at that, you can call Star Trek a drama, you can call Charmed a drama, so why can't it be the other way around calling a drama, scifi.

I'm confident Serenity will do better than i will expect it to (which is pretty normal right now, a box-office sales of not too low, but not too high)

X-men, X-men, i hope they bring in more of Jubilee, since she did have a bigger part imo, well i guess i'm looking at the cartoons, where she did help out a lot more, than a short cameo...
                  Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

I'm confident Serenity will do better than i will expect it to
                    How can you expect a movie to do better than you expect it to? That would mean your expectations exceed themselves...

Joss is a great character writer, which is why Firefly never emphasized the scientific aspects of the universe. His work is very character driven, and he might be able to pull off some good dialogue in X-Men 3. My only fear is that he won't be able to tell a full story without 20-some odd, hour-long episodes. I'll have to see the way he handles Serenity story-wise before I make any plans to see X-Men 3.
                    It's a Fargate! It's different.

Comment

Apparently, they're finally getting around to signing the rest of the cast to the X3 film. Hopefully Famke Janssen can pull off a good Dark Phoenix. Apparently some people want James Marsters (Spike from Buffy) as Gambit. As long as Halle Berry doesn't return as Storm,I don't mind. The Storm of X-Men is tall,confident and majestic. Halle's Storm was small, nervy and deserving of a slap. I mean she barely used her powers in the first two films. Seemed she was scared of them. How daft is that??

Comment

Famke might not be attached to the film. She said in an interview with ACCESS HOLLYWOOD, that if Bryan Singer doesn't return for X3, that should would be skeptical about coming back. She also stated, in the same interview, that she would get a feel for this director, and if she doesn't make an instant connection, she is gone.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                        [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

If she doesn't, sad Because if they were going to do the whole Pheonix story, it would have been interesting to see it visually in realtime.
                          Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Originally posted by dogbertisgod
                            As long as Halle Berry doesn't return as Storm,I don't mind. The Storm of X-Men is tall,confident and majestic. Halle's Storm was small, nervy and deserving of a slap. I mean she barely used her powers in the first two films. Seemed she was scared of them. How daft is that??
                            That's always bothered me about Halle's portrayal of Storm. Halle complains that Storm's character needed to be bulked up. Truth is, Halle was given all the script she needed for that character. Storm doesn't typically play a very large role in the comics or animated series, but she has a way of commanding attention, and an air of confidence. Halle played Storm as being very meek. Storm is supposed to be the second leader of the X-Men, just behind Cyclops. Halle played Storm as if she was following Jean and Wolverine.

Also, every animated series and videogame has given Storm a very strong voice. This is a woman who posed as a weather goddess for a time-- she needed a booming voice. Storm is a very calm character, but her voice matched her name more than anything. Halle has a very timid voice. It's just not in her to sound like Storm.

So it's bad enough Halle Berry wasn't a good enough actress for the role-- it just didn't fit her. At all. Had she been a better actress, the role of Storm still would've been all wrong for her.

The only thing Storm and Halle Berry have in common is a half-white/black heritage. And even then, Singer forgot to give Halle blue contact lenses.
                            It's a Fargate! It's different.

Comment

I just need to say one thing...CATWOMAN....discussion over.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                              [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

What I'm excited about is that Kelsey Grammar is supposed to be playing Beast. BEAST! Oh, my all-time favorite character, and I really think Grammar could do him justice.

Unfortunately, from what I've heard, is Alan Cumming on "The L Word," so, Nightcrawler won't be back. At least not his Nightcrawler.

As for the director switch up...I really liked Bryan Singer. A lot. And, if anyone has to replace him, it might as well be Whedon. Both seem to have respect for their fanbase.

Oh, and, Halle Berry...no. She was very, very blah.

*~S.T.A.K.S.~*~LiveJournal Leik Woah~*

"Dosmrti, dosmrti na to nezapomenu."

Comment

Working...
                                X