The End, Part 2 (618)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
    just change how horrible it ended for everyone on the island, and i don't care if the side universe/afterlife is touched or not.
    I loved the way it ended on the island. It was sad that Jack died, but it was heroic. And the way they did it with him in the bamboo field watching the plane fly over letting him know they got away safe and could go home was perfect.

For me, anyway
    || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
      I loved the way it ended on the island. It was sad that Jack died, but it was heroic. And the way they did it with him in the bamboo field watching the plane fly over letting him know they got away safe and could go home was perfect.

For me, anyway
      For me too. Parts of it were tragic but some of the most admired/remember stories are the ones that combine tragedy and triumph. And really when you think about it, all of them got a purposeful ending to their story even if it was through their deaths. Before the island, they were living empty meaningless lives. By the end, they had all found meaning and/or redemption.

Charlie a washed up drug addict was changed enough to sacrifice his life to save others.
      Sayid, who had hurt so many, died saving his friends.
      Sun and Jin, who had been trapped in a horrible marriage, were totally united in the end.
      Jack found the love and friendship that had eluded him in life and then accepted his fate with grace.
      Hurley found a purpose that suited him: taking care of the island and its people
      Ben found redemption and his heart's desire.
      Claire will get herself together and get to raise her son.
      Kate will spend her life helping her almost sister-in-law raise the boy she considers a son.
      Sawyer who was incredibly damaged and hardened by his life is a changed man.
      Richard finally gets to die.

I thought that the article that was posted a few posts back was really helpful to explain the sideways universe. The producers are going for a particular philosophy for the afterlife in which people who find their soulmates throughout their mortal lives, unconsciously create a place where they can wait for each other after death and then move on together.

I rewatched the finale with hubby last night since he was out of town when it aired. It was interesting to watch it through again after knowing the ending. One thing that I wondered is if Jack as he was dying also was seeing glimpses of the afterlife the way Juliet did when she was dying, and Desmond when he was being fried by the electrical thingabob? It seemed as if he was. And I was also impressed with the acting in this episode--emmys all round.
      Jace

When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people.

Abraham Joshua Heschel

Comment

Originally posted by kmiller1610 View Post
        The only thing I question is the idea that the island was real.
        Nah, the Island was definitely real, for many reasons. For one thing, some of the characters traveled to the Island knowingly (Ben, Juliet), without any crashing or anything like that so they weren't dead. Some characters left the Island and came back. Some left and didn't come back (Aaron). Not to mention the fact that there were children born on the island, as well as children conceived on the Island but born elsewhere (Ji Yeon). ...etc...
        Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

Theoretically, everyone in the world goes through this, however, since all these people died together, they all experienced it together, they just make their peace at different times.
          they are died together?
          sally

sigpic

Comment

no they are not all died together. they all are died at different times.

Comment

if the plane was real, or if you accept that oceanic 815 was a real flight, then they died together when it crashed. some on the plane were ready for heaven and went straight there, others had baggage and issues and worked them out on the island
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

They definitely left the ending open to interpretation by us viewers. Just go with the version you want to.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

if the plane was real, or if you accept that oceanic 815 was a real flight, then they died together when it crashed. some on the plane were ready for heaven and went straight there, others had baggage and issues and worked them out on the island
                  Yeah, that makes the most sense to me. It's like the island is a kind of matrix for the afterlife, including its own reality, conflicts and a testing ground to give people a chance to make final choices they could not make due to the suddenness of their deaths.

Comment

Yes skydiver that makes the most sense to me

Comment

There's been some confusion about the final images shown during the credit's. Since there were no bodies and no sign of human activity on the beach, some take this as a sign from the producer's that nobody from Oceanic 815 survived and that event's that took place on the Island wasn't real. But the images shown during the credit's weren't added by the producers and wasn't part of there story. The images were put there by ABC for nostalgic purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by boyd22 View Post
                        There's been some confusion about the final images shown during the credit's. Since there were no bodies and no sign of human activity on the beach, some take this as a sign from the producer's that nobody from Oceanic 815 survived and that event's that took place on the Island wasn't real. But the images shown during the credit's weren't added by the producers and wasn't part of there story. The images were put there by ABC for nostalgic purposes.
                        Indeed. The island was real, it was never supposed to be purgatory.

Comment

The flight was real. The crash was real. The island was real. They survived the crash because Jacob wanted to bring them to the island. After they were all on the island for X amount of time, they died, or survived to make it off, and died sometime later. Jacob chose them because they were lost in their current lives, and needed each other in order to see who they really were - this would leave one of them to make the choice to stay and protect the island. The island was not a mid point between life and death.

Comment

So it seems that there's going to be an epilogue to tie up Ben and Hurley's time on the island ...as long as you buy the DVD's.
                            SEE HERE

I still haven't changed my mind about the finale...but I enjoyed reading this summary.

Idiot's Guide to Lost

It kind of sums up the whole 6 seasons....well, from the E Online reviewers point of view.
                            sigpic

Comment

It definitely was real and has been confirmed by some of the actors in interviews afterward. They all died separately but had to come together in a sort of purgatory if you will in order to move on together.

Comment

Originally posted by LizzieAnne View Post
                                So it seems that there's going to be an epilogue to tie up Ben and Hurley's time on the island ...as long as you buy the DVD's.
                                SEE HERE

I still haven't changed my mind about the finale...but I enjoyed reading this summary.

Idiot's Guide to Lost

It kind of sums up the whole 6 seasons....well, from the E Online reviewers point of view.
                                Yeah the producers claim that there are over 20 mins worth of footage on the DVD that didn't make it into the finale. Likely because of time and it was deemed not relevant to the character's. Things like what happened to Walt is just some of the footage that will be on the DVD.

Comment

Working...
                                X