The End, Part 2 (618)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So

1. No Walt, Eko or Ms. Klugh (Black Lady who was shot by Mr Patchy in Season 3). Not a major gripe, but would be still nice to see them somewhere. Before it was revealed that the Church was Purgatory, I was hoping that Eko would be the Minister or something.

2. So yeah. Basically the Island is just "magical". Seems a bit of a cop-out considering the super-science of the Dharma Initiative that was being revealed, the Electromagnetism of the Swam hatch and all. But I can live with it. Magical Islands aren't bad. The Tempest has one, and that's a classic piece of literature.

3. Nice how Jacob/ MiB were just ordinary men, with godlike powers. MiB wanting to leave, Jacob wanting to keep him there for reasons unknown (Bullcrap about the world ending, Jacob just didn't want his brother to leave him, and Jacob didn't want to leave).

4. Shame that we don't see what Hurley & Ben do with the island (I can imagine Hurley opening it at a tourist hotspot). Also, shame we didn't see the plane land. Especially considering it was supposed to have crashed, and people have been missing for a good 3 years onboard it. (Also, Richard is going to be an Illegal Immigrant now).

5. Desmond is magical. Too magical for the island. No reason for that, he's just magical. I can live with that.

6. Would've liked to see why Radinzky shot himself in the head in the Swan, and how that Soldier guy who was in there with him, and then Desmond, arrived there.

7. The Swam Hatch was somehow related to the wells the people dug 2000 years ago, and someone tapped into the energy, but it was flawed. I guess that's an

alright reason. Just a pointless thing really. No reason given why it needed manual input of the numbers. Just a magical hatch I guess.

8. Charles Widmore returned to the island because Jacob told him to? Would've been nice to see a brief flashback or something about that. Just to tie everything together.

9. Who built the statue? Who built the light plug summoning circle thing?

10. When the Losties were jumping through time: when they were on the kayak, who was the unknown people on the other kayak shooting at them?

So, really, to summerise Lost's plot:

Two millenia ago, two twin brothers were born on a magic island. As they grew older, one Brother wanted to leave, whilst the other Brother wanted him to stay. Over the next 2000 years, both of them plot and scheme against eachother, with demigod-like powers, drawing people to their island to help their cause. Ultimately, the Brother that wishes to stay is killed, but not before he instructs the main characters to defeat the Brother that wishes to leave, who has been killing off people to suit his needs. One of the characters, Desmond, is super-magical, and temporarily shuts off the island's magic, allowing the main characters to kill the remaining Brother, finally bringing to an end the struggle. The remaining characters get to leave the island, besides two. One who now possesses the Island's magical powers, and another who agrees to help him 'run' the island.

Comment

This 'Purgatory' or AfterLife if your prefer seems to be in keeping with the Egyptian mythology on the continuation of your regular life, is your eternal eventuality after you die. So every one's essentially living their lives they had at a poignant time in their existence only slightly better. If you're an Egyptian mythology fan, the rock could represent the balance of good or bad according to the weight of the world's soul on the whole, and the beginning of the side-ways after-ways shot of the Island beneath the sea could be seen as the glassy sea in heaven according to the bible which speaks of an endless glassy sea behind God stretching on into infinity, so perhaps the sea represents the change of state from insoluble 'the air of the afterlife' to tangible 'the weighted depth of our reality', and the Island though seemingly existing in purgatory can only be reached when one descends into the depth of reality and essentially return to the life of the real world.

The hate the show's getting appears to come from the scientific minded few who feels that everything can be analyzed and deduced, quantized and specialized. The explanation of the universe coming from a big bang makes no sense on it's on so tons of stuff must be created and explained and deduced and equations upon equations calling for more studying and understanding and years and years of college WHERE AS, God created the heavens and the earth, following those words, a great many seek enlightenment and use the same amount of time the rigid scientist use but instead of reading endless foibles about quantitative whatsit, they're reading about how to transcend the real and to touch the ascended plane, their oceanic 815 plane, which soars higher above the improbable. Yeah the final season was convoluted, and the last episode was stretching it a bit, but saying it should have made scientific sense is like trying to understand the amount of sensation necessary to be in a moment of COITUS and to spiritually bond with your sexual partner with the expectation of a child being born from this spiritual joining. If one tries to quantize the sensation and the moment when that feeling of euphoria affects both partners, they'd not only miss the point, but they won't transcend the physical and touch that level of spirituality men and women feel during that special time.

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
      So

1. No Walt, Eko or Ms. Klugh (Black Lady who was shot by Mr Patchy in Season 3). Not a major gripe, but would be still nice to see them somewhere. Before it was revealed that the Church was Purgatory, I was hoping that Eko would be the Minister or something.

2. So yeah. Basically the Island is just "magical". Seems a bit of a cop-out considering the super-science of the Dharma Initiative that was being revealed, the Electromagnetism of the Swam hatcand all. But I can live with it. Magical Islands aren't bad. The Tempest has one, and that's a classic piece of literature.

3. Nice how Jacob/ MiB were just ordinary men, with godlike powers. MiB wanting to leave, Jacob wanting to keep him there for reasons unknown (Bullcrap about the world ending, Jacob just didn't want his brother to leave him, and Jacob didn't want to leave).

4. Shame that we don't see what Hurley & Ben do with the island (I can imagine Hurley opening it at a tourist hotspot). Also, shame we didn't see the plane land. Especially considering it was supposed to have crashed, and people have been missing for a good 3 years onboard it. (Also, Richard is going to be an Illegal Immigrant now).

5. Desmond is magical. Too magical for the island. No reason for that, he's just magical. I can live with that.

6. Would've liked to see why Radinzky shot himself in the head in the Swan, and how that Soldier guy who was in there with him, and then Desmond, arrived there.

7. The Swam Hatch was somehow related to the wells the people dug 2000 years ago, and someone tapped into the energy, but it was flawed. I guess that's an

alright reason. Just a pointless thing really. No reason given why it needed manual input of the numbers. Just a magical hatch I guess.

8. Charles Widmore returned to the island because Jacob told him to? Would've been nice to see a brief flashback or something about that. Just to tie everything together.

10. When the Losties were jumping through time: when they were on the kayak, who was the unknown people on the other kayak shooting at them?

So, really, to summerise Lost's plot:

Two millenia ago, two twin brothers were born on a magic island. As they grew older, one Brother wanted to leave, whilst the other Brother wanted him to stay. Over the next 2000 years, both of them plot and scheme against eachother, with demigod-like powers, drawing people to their island to help their cause. Ultimately, the Brother that wishes to stay is killed, but not before he instructs the main characters to defeat the Brother that wishes to leave, who has been killing off people to suit his needs. One of the characters, Desmond, is super-magical, and temporarily shuts off the island's magic, allowing the main characters to kill the remaining Brother, finally bringing to an end the struggle. The remaining characters get to leave the island, besides two. One who now possesses the Island's magical powers, and another who agrees to help him 'run' the island.
      We're assuming Jacob wanted them to press the button, when it appears the button pressing was them waiting for the right person to get the power from the hole, namely Desmond. The Producers said they'll continue the series with explanations, where as the creators wants nothing to do with it. It explains a lot when Ben said that's how Jacob ran things, so leaving the Island is possible, it was Jacob making sure no one leaved. MIB's dead, so is Jacob, and all Hurley has to do is protect the source, so I'm guessing Hurley's version truly rocked. Maybe the series developed by the producers could deal with Hurley learning about the island and solving all the questions.

So it would appear that when you want something to happen, it happens. Mib's and Jacob mom not wanting them to hurt each other, Jacob wanting no one to leave the Island, at least not easily.
      Last edited by Coremae; 24 May 2010, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Watching the finale was painful for me. Our local station was having problems, and the feed kept coming in and out.
        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

I'll tackle these ones. Answers/Replies in bold.

Eko's actor didn't want to return, Ms Klugh wasn't that important, and Walt... I personally think that he was special in the same way Desmond was, just naturally special, though. Desmond got all special because of the exposure to the electromagnetism down at the hatch over the years, while Walt was born with it. Don't know why they didn't bring him back, but I personally thought his arc was done when Locke said the island was done with him back in season 4.

2. So yeah. Basically the Island is just "magical". Seems a bit of a cop-out considering the super-science of the Dharma Initiative that was being revealed, the Electromagnetism of the Swam hatcand all. But I can live with it. Magical Islands aren't bad. The Tempest has one, and that's a classic piece of literature.

Magical island was probably the one way we could make this make sense, really. It just is, and explaining it would venture into midichlorion territory.

Hmm... I liked that they were just normal fellas once (And that Jacob evolved over the years too - he was rather whiny when his mother was alive), but the whole "world ending" thing is probably up for interpretation. What's more black smoke in the world, eh?

Wizards. Probably predating or around the same time Jacob's fake mother was around.

Darlton confirmed that they had plans for it to factor into much of the kayaking in this season, but it didn't because they "didn't want to contrive their characters to fit a past episode's events". I'll go with maybe future crashers on the island. They'll be kayaking to the island from Hydra (where they'll meet Hurley and Ben) and on the way, one man will see the most beautiful woman in the world (Juliet)... who'll shoot and kill him because his kayak mates were trigger happy.
          ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

I am going to re watch this without the commercials as the commercials were really ****ing annoying last night

Comment

Wow, that was a massive Anticlimax. I didn't want them to go down the spirtality route and reading here alot of questions were not answered, I didn't realise as I haven't rewatched any of the seasons so far. And I didn't watch the simulcast, like I am going to stay up to 5 am when I can just record it.

Comment

I'm not sure I liked the ending. Sure it was well written, full of drama and action and made you "think". There were sooooo many unanswered questions though, I think using the afterlife world as the main part of the episode was a cop-out. It allowed them to write a super dramatic ending that they knew would "play on heart-strings".

So the island has a "heart" where magical light comes in, gets added to the water, and then in filtered out to the island to keep it "alive". The plug was the magical geotherm system that supplied power to the "light" and kept everything working, once pulled the volcano or whatever they were on top of started falling apart or erupting.

^ Someone built all that though, so who were the skeletons that were down there? Former protectors? There was writing on the plug, but I couldn't make it out, have to wait for hi-res screen caps.

Now Jack dies on the island, so shouldn't his soul been trapped there with Michael for all eternity? That was the deal with Michael, I wouldn't think the Hurley/Ben team would release Jacks soul but not Michaels. Hurley did offer his services to ghost-Michael a few episodes back. Not to mention all the other people that were on the island and all the kids that smokey killed.

Eko would have been a good one to bring back, but he was such a long time ago people would probably think it was just a "reunion" tribute

2. So yeah. Basically the Island is just "magical". Seems a bit of a cop-out considering the super-science of the Dharma Initiative that was being revealed, the Electromagnetism of the Swan hatch and all. But I can live with it. Magical Islands aren't bad. The Tempest has one, and that's a classic piece of literature.

Not really a good answer, it was a power that could be harnessed. Thus the whole point of the protectors. It was something, but we will never know what.

The whole world ending/stopper to hell thing was crap. They showed that Jacob had no idea what the island was, he made it all up. Part of his "rules".

Yeah, considering that the plane was MIA, 90% of the passengers are dead, and not all that are on it were on it to begin with (Claire, Richard, talks to dead people guy, Sawyer). I was wondering how they would handle the whole "coming in for a landing" thing.

Not magical, just somehow resistant to EM Fields. Maybe he was filled with the polar opposite energy of the light when the blew the dam at the Swan hatch. Don't know, but there should have been a scientific answer to it.

Fear I guess, fear of the unknown. Desmond got there on the sail boat, Jacob probably pulled him there somehow. Jacob also pulled the BLack Rock there as well, using a giant tidal wave.....

7. The Swam Hatch was somehow related to the wells the people dug 2000 years ago, and someone tapped into the energy, but it was flawed. I guess that's an alright reason. Just a pointless thing really. No reason given why it needed manual input of the numbers. Just a magical hatch I guess.

I think that the point of the Swan station was to pool the energy from the well sites (which were in a circle), and then use them to hide the island. People found the island fairly easily prior to Dharma, I think the Dharma group inadvertently made a cloaking field. As for the numbers, they were probably part of some giant proof that formed the dome over the island while leaving the small "crack" to allow them safe passage to and from the island when they wanted. You can't see the EM field, you have to know where it is.

I'm not sure he ever saw "Jacob". I think he was seeing smokey the whole time. Sure somkey can't leave the island, but we've seen him play with peoples minds before right? With the Swan EM field down, he could have "reached" Widmore and lured him back.

Statue = Early Egyptians, smokey plug summoning pool = egyptians, light plug pool.........

No idea, but we don't know who fired all the flaming arrows at the Losties when they jumped back in time the first time (on the beach). We also don't know where the other Others came from either.

Comment

Wow. I love the way they wrapped up this show! There is no way for them to answer all of our questions, and no show ever does...especially one with so many questions as Lost, but it answered enough and ended on a really high note!
                  sigpic

Comment

I thought the episode was really good just wish some more answers were given. As ending i thought it was poor but good episode never the less. very emotional ending.
                    sigpic
                    Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
                    Metal gear fan

Comment

Originally posted by SBN View Post
                      This show was NOT about the alternative timeline, and that is the only thing they addressed.
                      How can you say that? They spent more time on the alt. timeline / afterlife thing, yes, but they did finish up the "main" storyline as well. They just took care of that first. Really, there wasn't all that much left to do with it in this episode, they've done so much about it throughout this season that all they needed to do now was to conclude it. Which they did. And then they focused on the afterlife, because that's where all the characters end up and is thus very much relevant to the story.
                      Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Heres my two cents, it was a good show and will be missed. The ending just freakin pissed me off, so bad I lost freakin sleep.
                        thelastgreatprophecy.com

Comment

I thought it was a satisfying ending. I actually loved the side-flash/purgatory idea. Initially I was hoping they wouldn't go down the spiritual route, but thinking about it now it's the only way to do it (certainly the only way to have a happy ending). It was always said that 'Lost' referred to the characters' souls, not their location - I think it's always had spiritual themes. This is coming from someone who is not spiritual in the least, btw.

Yes, there were still some questions left unanswered, like what the island really is, where it came from.. etc. but I think I prefer it like that.
                          sigpic
                          http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
                          http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

It was great for me, until the final 15 minutes.
                            When i saw Christian rise up, i was praying "Not another BSG, please!!!", yet it happened.

So the sideway was an imaginary place, meaning Juliet's "It worked" and Eloise whole "Don't tell them" made no sense whatsoever. Even worse than the Alias ending. And what about Desmond in the episode a few weeks ago. He travelled between the afterlife and the true world because of magnetism ? Who was Jack's kid, an angel ? There was no plan, they made it up as time passed and it ended up making no sense.

I was planning to buy the bluray sets, but glad i never started right now.
                            Last edited by flobo; 24 May 2010, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Amazing... I'm just so sad it's all over now.

For me, this show is about the tears, the anger, the friendship and the love of family, of lovers, of friends. The bond these strangers shared, the pain they all suffered and the lessons they learned... it's really what we're all here for; to help each other, to share our experiences, and not be defined by our weaknesses, but to let go of our burdens. And I mean that in a completely non-religious sense (hey, athiests can be spiritual too ).

And for the umpteenth time, Giacchino's musical score for this show is phenomenal. Just magic!

Goodbye LOST... I'll miss you so much.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat View Post
                                Is anyone else staying up to watch Jimmy Kimmel?
                                I did. the "alternate" endings were great....especially the Sopranos one.

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat View Post
                                Did anyone else think the Target commercials were hilarious?
                                Ditto.

I thought the finale was great. Yeah there were some things I would have liked for them to have answered better pertaining to the island itself...just what was it/its importance, but I guess leaving it up to interpretation was the point.

Didn't see them all being dead in the sideways flash coming...considering tptb have said time and time again they wouldn't be dead/dream/whatever. I thought somehow the two worlds would kind of meld together for the characters and that them remembering who they were on the island was a way to avoid not erasing what happened to them on the island...as in the current reality was the sideways flash because the plane never crashed (which was kind of how I always thought the show might end but then it would be a disservice to character development and that poor Desmond would be stuck on the island pushing that stupid button forever).

Anyways I thought the ending fit. For the most part I loved the ending to BSG as well. BSG built to that ending from the very first episode as the religious/spiritual tones were there from the start, and I'd say LOST did as well. This wasn't just something that came out of nowhere, imo. I didn't think LOST would go this route, but yeah it was the only way to get a "happy" ending.

Loved how Jack was the bookends to the show.

I certainly need to rewatch this season on dvd. I usually end up liking the season better as I've had problems with watching past seasons as they were broadcast until I was able to watch them straight through. I was kind of iffy on this season as it felt choppy and weird with the sideways flashes, but knowing the end now, I ought to appreciate them more.
                                IMO always implied.

Comment

Working...
                                X