'Lost' losing audience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by maneth View Post
    I admit I liked the romance when it was just a look or two, or maybe a snatched kiss. I don't really want to watch Lost for the romance. I watched it for the mystery, but when no answers were forthcoming I got tired of it. Even though I'm a person with quite a long attention span. I love watching Babylon 5 again and again for the little hints in season 1 of things that'll happen much, much later.
    B5 is a great example what good serialized television can do. Like you I think S1 had some great set-up for stuff that came later.
    I'm not against serialization whatsoever... on the contrary. But when there's no sense of any direction in sight, one has to wonder if it's worthwhile putting in time and effort on something that is purposely dragged out.
    All I can say is that Lost has lost its way...
    sigpic
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily View Post
      B5 is a great example what good serialized television can do. Like you I think S1 had some great set-up for stuff that came later.
      I'm not against serialization whatsoever... on the contrary. But when there's no sense of any direction in sight, one has to wonder if it's worthwhile putting in time and effort on something that is purposely dragged out.
      All I can say is that Lost has lost its way...
      I'm not disagreeing but I want to point out that LOST had (apparently) no direction early in S1 and early in S2 but in the end it always turned out that there was a direction. ATM, I guess that's what will happen with S3 also. (I just love rewatching old episodes and realising that TPTB had a concept at the beginning of each season.) But I understand those who were disappointed in S2 or were frustrated with the show or the concept in another way.
      No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
      (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)

Comment

I'd like to see some answers to the questions posed in the earlier seasons, before piling more mysteries on us. Looks like Abrams & Lindelof don't know where they're taking the show, or even if they do, they have no idea how they're going to get there. JMS at least had the basics figured out before he started writing episodes, or let others fill in the details to his basic outlines.
        sigpic

Comment

The biggest mystery, to me, isn't the black vapour monster, or the weird electromagnetic stuff or the secret motives of The Others or anything.

It's why the heck a particular conversation happens over and over again without anyone ever asking the obvious follow-up question.

How many times has An Other said to a Crash Person "we're not the bad guys" or "we're doing good"... and the Crash Person has neglected to say "Really? Then explain the kidnapping, deception, duplicity, violence and hostility!"

They never seem to ask. Why on earth not? It's really annoying. And these Others seem happy enough to claim the moral high ground without ever bothering to explain why they are doing so many evil things, or even to acknowledge that they are giving the appearance of evil. There's just no logic from either group. That's harder to believe in than the visions and freaky coincidences.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
            The biggest mystery, to me, isn't the black vapour monster, or the weird electromagnetic stuff or the secret motives of The Others or anything.

It's why the heck a particular conversation happens over and over again without anyone ever asking the obvious follow-up question.

How many times has An Other said to a Crash Person "we're not the bad guys" or "we're doing good"... and the Crash Person has neglected to say "Really? Then explain the kidnapping, deception, duplicity, violence and hostility!"

They never seem to ask. Why on earth not? It's really annoying. And these Others seem happy enough to claim the moral high ground without ever bothering to explain why they are doing so many evil things, or even to acknowledge that they are giving the appearance of evil. There's just no logic from either group. That's harder to believe in than the visions and freaky coincidences.
            I couldnt agree more, it's getting annoying. They also say "we havent killed them". but didnt ethan kill somebody in season 1.. he was also going to kill Charlie but Jack got there in time

Comment

Originally posted by sgeureka View Post
              I'm not disagreeing but I want to point out that LOST had (apparently) no direction early in S1 and early in S2 but in the end it always turned out that there was a direction. ATM, I guess that's what will happen with S3 also. (I just love rewatching old episodes and realising that TPTB had a concept at the beginning of each season.) But I understand those who were disappointed in S2 or were frustrated with the show or the concept in another way.
              Strangely enough I never once thought while watching the show in S1, that there was no direction. I've always felt that the real mystery of Lost was the exact nature of the island. By trying to evade that question for as long as they have, I think the producers have railroaded the show. It's my opinion, of course. I don't think the characters are as important unless they somehow fit in with that mystery. At least that was my thought in S1 watching the flashbacks. I'm all for a bit of mystery being something of a mystery buff... but as Madeline has pointed out a mystery still needs to make some sense on a certain level. Unless of course, they decide that after 3 or 4 seasons that they're making some kind of supernatural show...
              sigpic
              "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily View Post
                Strangely enough I never once thought while watching the show in S1, that there was no direction. I've always felt that the real mystery of Lost was the exact nature of the island. By trying to evade that question for as long as they have, I think the producers have railroaded the show. It's my opinion, of course. I don't think the characters are as important unless they somehow fit in with that mystery. At least that was my thought in S1 watching the flashbacks. I'm all for a bit of mystery being something of a mystery buff... but as Madeline has pointed out a mystery still needs to make some sense on a certain level. Unless of course, they decide that after 3 or 4 seasons that they're making some kind of supernatural show...
                Re: not feeling there was no direction at the beginning of S1. Neither did I because everything was still fresh. And with the introduction of the Swan station and the Hydra station, TPTB have at least attempted to keep it fresh in the later seasons, maybe too fresh for some that they feel like jump the shark moments. That doesn't mean a direction (that the audience grasps) was there in one season and not in the other. There was no clear direction at the beginning of all three seasons.

Re: evading the answers to the mysteries. I understand where the frustration comes from, but I'm looking at this topic from a creator's perspective.

1. TPTB have compared LOST's mystery to that of Twin Peaks'. But after the murder of Laura Palmer was resolved prematurely, the ratings went down and the show was cancelled. TPTB have said they have a plan for 4 or 5 seasons, and then the show should be over. If they don't want to suffer the same fate as Twin Peaks, they have to keep the main answers unresolved and raise new mysteries to keep the audience interested in order to tell their whole story.

2. TPTB have also compared LOST to the Roadrunner cartoon. (I don't know how much that holds water, but i guess it's still somewhat right.) Everyone wants the coyote to catch the roadrunner, or so they think. But if that cartoon had ever had an episode where that takes place, everyone would have been turned off. So ask yourself (general you): Would you really be satisfied if the whole mystery was resolved just like that, because you feel you need the answers to enjoy the show? Especially if the answer after S1 would have been cut down to (based on knowledge from S2 and early S3 so far)
                Spoiler:
                "Oh, the smoke checks people's minds and can take on personalities. End of story."
                What about where it comes from and why it is there? Why are there other people on the island and what are they doing? What exactly is the nature of the island? If you don't want a cop-out, then the answers need time, and the most creative way to give these answers to the audience is to raise new mysteries and keeping the audience guessing.

All of this is not to say that frustration on the side of the audience isn't legitimate. And without the media hype, the format of the show only allows audience numbers to go one way (i.e. down).

But if I was a PTB, I can't think of a better way to tell my story, make it interesting, and (most importantly) tell it to the end before it gets canned. (Interpret this statement as a challenge to come up with alternative ways. Maybe I'm just unimaginative but I think it's easy to say "I like/dislike" but very hard to say exactly what should be done to make the existing thing "better".)

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."

Comment

i simply feel that TPTB have no idea where to go on... they did well in season 1 cause they had some plan, but IMO, they got great numbers (ratings) and then decided to drag as much as they can... which is exactlly what S3 has been so far... dragging ....

each ep feels like low cost filler, to keep people "interested" with nothing really going on. they might change it later in S3, but i think they'll do more of these "filler arcs" cause after the reaction they got for S1, they saw $$$$ ....

that's what i think.

I'll give you good example of show rapidly changing... "Heroes"... writers said they planned to kill off many more characters, but they got surprised with the way people got fond of them and decided to keep as many as they can...

In case of "Heroes" this was good decision, but prolly put lots of strain on writing new eps and giving time to everybody.... but, "Lost" is different kind of show and when they decided to keep this "big mistery behind everything" unsolved, they had to find ways to drag the show to boredom...

and, offcourse, i agree with Madeleine_W... it's just that i think this is reason why they are doing it...
                  btw, look at "Supernatural".. we got tons of answers at the end of S1 and S2 is proving to be even better... "Lost" main problem is that beyond one prolly stupid explanation, there is nothing else to do... and i doubt that explanation they planned when making S1 is same as the one they have in mind now... and current one won't be what we will get by the end of show...

blah...
                  </rant>
                  VISIT AND JOIN

Comment

IGN's top 50 Lost loose ends:

llo

I find it amusing that they have a 'top' 50 indicating there are probably more.
                    Thanks!
                    Jordan

my page
                    My LJ
                    From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Originally posted by yaaayoubetcha View Post
                      IGN's top 50 Lost loose ends:

llo

I find it amusing that they have a 'top' 50 indicating there are probably more.
                      That reminds me to read this. I only read 50 to 40 the last time...

And here's a list in a very dedicated LOST wiki with unanswered questions (an estimated 200): http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Unanswered_questions.

(I honestly doubt that every tiny question will be answered in the show though. But there is no show/work of fiction that explains all its mysteries. I'm just hoping (and I'm positive) that TPTB will address the majority of the urgent ones until the last episode airs. I'm just a little miffed that the Adam&Eve mumies and the black&white themes from S1 have neither been addressed or resolved so far.)

Comment

this only proves what i thought... they had one idea, which worked too well, $$$ wise and decided to add more and more "mystery" instead of completing some story arcs. it also shows there was no plan for long run.... Babylon 5 is good example of what long term planning is.

"heroes" are pretty good example of how major things in show can be changed by it's success... only problem is that "heroes" are revealing secrets (even if they create even more by doing so), while "lost" is losing it's course.

just look at "heores"... all we acctually know is that there are people with powers and they need to save the world... there are twists all the time and nothing is what it seems (sounds like s1 of "lost", minus super-powers)... big difference is that "heroes" have better writers (IMO)
                        Last edited by silence; 11 December 2006, 05:30 AM.
                        VISIT AND JOIN

Comment

Originally posted by FORDs Follower View Post
                          i agree "lost" has lost many fans cause they give questions but not answers and its gotten so confusing, and having to wait every week for a new episode i miss them sometimes
                          25000000000000000000007427023750371% agree with you!! Its whack.!!! But I'll still watch it!
                          I HATE SY-FY

Comment

Originally posted by The Ori View Post
                            25000000000000000000007427023750371% agree with you!! Its whack.!!! But I'll still watch it!
                            I think you mean 48151623421087418880% (Couldn't resist, Sorry )

Comment

Lost, now here is a series I totally lost interest in, no pun intended. Season 1 I was hooked, two I was mildly interested, and I never even began season 3. Don't miss it, won't go back to it.

Comment

Originally posted by silence View Post

just look at "heores"... all we acctually know is that there are people with powers and they need to save the world... there are twists all the time and nothing is what it seems (sounds like s1 of "lost", minus super-powers)... big difference is that "heroes" have better writers (IMO)
                                I suspect that having people from the comic book industry on the writing/production team has helped in that regard. They have probably got a handle on the fine art of serialization.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X