No announcement yet.

'Lost' losing audience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found a chart with all LOST episode ratings up until 3x04 (Original source: http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger2/...tingschart.jpg)

Clearly, the ratings have dropped somewhat from S1, but there isn't really something to worry about.

But compare the situation to Germany now. Germany has got roughly a quarter of the U.S. population. That would mean a little more than 4 million (=16 million/4) people should be a good estimate for the number of people watching LOST in Germany. But only 1.62 million Germans watched the "new" episode 2x13 this week. (There's only a small percentage of who would watch LOST months before on German pay-TV.) Now that's frightening, and one could be happy that the ratings are still so strong in the U.S.
    No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
    (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)

Comment

For me in no particular order

-What used to be an intriguing and creepy sort of mystery has given way to a tedious and boarderline ridiculous sort of stupidity. "OMG they have a whole little city right there on the island that's so WEIRD!" Weird for it's own sake isn't cool, it's irritating.

-Too much romantic bull****. Enough already. I swear if I have to sit through one more drawnout repeat crapfest involving the Kate/Jack/Sawyer love triangle and who really wants to screw who I'm quitting. I'm dead serious, I'm boarderline already.

-Past histories that are getting a little two over the top and complicated. What so nobody was just a bus driver?

-The others are wearing really thin as are their stupid episodes that consist of nothing but talking about meandering bullcrap for 48 minutes that advances nothing in any meaningful way.

-Stop drawing out one episode into 3 with all this pointless and boring fluff you're putting in. If you're really that out of ideas just call the finale for this season and be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros
        -Too much romantic bull****. Enough already. I swear if I have to sit through one more drawnout repeat crapfest involving the Kate/Jack/Sawyer love triangle and who really wants to screw who I'm quitting. I'm dead serious, I'm boarderline already.
        Dude.

The romance stuff is laughably gadawful. Seriously, that ep with the "hot, monkey cage sex"? I sat there trying to puzzle out what the Kate-twist would be, only to get to the end of the ep and find that both the flashback and the present day stories were as shallow and lame as they appeared. After that I remembered, oh yeah, I'm watching Lost S3.

Same thing happened with "early 40s" (WTF?!) Ben and his tumour.

I'll keep hanging in because I've hung in this long, but I've definitely lost my zeal as this season has progressed.

Comment

I lost interest two episodes into season 3. I loved season 1 (got it on DVD too), thought 2 was fascinating, and was sorely disappointed in 3. I just can't care about The Others, at all. So far, all we've really gotten is questions upon questions upon questions. The producers need to start giving us some answers, and then I might consider watching the rest of the episodes.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DEM View Post

The romance stuff is laughably gadawful. Seriously, that ep with the "hot, monkey cage sex"? I sat there trying to puzzle out what the Kate-twist would be, only to get to the end of the ep and find that both the flashback and the present day stories were as shallow and lame as they appeared. After that I remembered, oh yeah, I'm watching Lost S3.
            Yeah I loved that episode.

Hey we're being watched by a bunch of psychos that like to beat us and threaten us with guns if we even talk to one another while we work. I know how 'bout you escape from your cell and we screw for a bit, that'll put them (and their closed circuit camera system) in a great mood.

I'd expect cheese like this from an after midnite movie that just does it as a lead-in to the full frontal nudity everyone tuned in for, not a prime time TV show though. It doesn't work without the boobies as pay off.

The whole triangle just feels so played out and boring that I just wish the others would put those three against the wall and firing squad them or something. The show seriously gets better when they're not on it now. Those two episodes that focussed on Locke and Echo amidst this horrorfest of lameness were like treasured breaths of fresh air before JJ Abrams plunged my head back into the toilet bowl again.

Comment

I admit I liked the romance when it was just a look or two, or maybe a snatched kiss. I don't really want to watch Lost for the romance. I watched it for the mystery, but when no answers were forthcoming I got tired of it. Even though I'm a person with quite a long attention span. I love watching Babylon 5 again and again for the little hints in season 1 of things that'll happen much, much later.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sgeureka View Post

Clearly, the ratings have dropped somewhat from S1, but there isn't really something to worry about.

But compare the situation to Germany now. Germany has got roughly a quarter of the U.S. population. That would mean a little more than 4 million (=16 million/4) people should be a good estimate for the number of people watching LOST in Germany. But only 1.62 million Germans watched the "new" episode 2x13 this week. (There's only a small percentage of who would watch LOST months before on German pay-TV.) Now that's frightening, and one could be happy that the ratings are still so strong in the U.S.
                I don't think we need to worry, either... At least not yet.

Lost was never as strong in Germany as TPTB hoped it would be. From the pilot on.. They were expecting higher ratings.
                And Lost has lost some of his audience here, too and will continue to do so once Season 3 hits off. I still see a huge difference between German and US viewers. For one, people in Germany don't watch as much TV as US people do and I think they just don't get so devoted to any show... That's just my opinion though.

Anyway, I always liked Lost, I still like it and I will probably always like it.
                However, I see where people are coming from when they don't tune in anymore. I get frustrated about the lack of closure and mystery resolving we get and you have to be veeeery patient and like the show veeeery much.
                If I was an occasional viewer, I would have stopped watching a long time ago.
                And even as a fan, TPTB don't make life easy for us, do they?
                *Sig by the wonderful and talented Pegasus_SGA*

Comment

I've always said this, for a show like Lost they should have a plan. Run it for three years and thats it. Tell the story in three seasons and end it. Even if there is a demand. make each season like your acts. Season 1 being the 1st act, the set up. the second: the middle bit. the third act is your final season. have a story and don't just keep running it for the sake of running it.

FOGHORN FILMS PRESENTS...

To watch Darkness, a non stargate related short film
                  from the creators of The Bringer of War, Please Click here

Click here to join the Official "Bringer of War" MySpace

Comment

Originally posted by Indiana View Post
                    I've always said this, for a show like Lost they should have a plan. Run it for three years and thats it. Tell the story in three seasons and end it. Even if there is a demand. make each season like your acts. Season 1 being the 1st act, the set up. the second: the middle bit. the third act is your final season. have a story and don't just keep running it for the sake of running it.

and s3 shows that's exactlly what they are doing.. i really loved Lost, now i don't even bother. i couldn't care less for that idiotic tumor and WTF is with whole new island... i think that was the point when i decided it's not worth my time and TPTB "Lost" it - it was just lame... why not follow the story with more Dharma stations or something, why to hell introduce new island? on which all they do is having Jack is "big" koral dilemmas (yeah, right) and Kate and Sawyer flirting in cage... NOTHING happened in any of those eps... nothing...

blah... i am done with Lost... too bad they decided to drag it so much so they can make more seasons ...
                    VISIT AND JOIN

Comment

Oh for heaven's sake. Lost is doing just fine for an episodic, sci-fi drama. 16 to 17 million viewers a week is nothing to sneeze at, people. The media loves to hype on any dip in a hit show.

Yes, the ratings are down, but frankly, for the type of show that it is, it is still going strong in it's third season. I LOVE Lost, and I think Season 3 has been excellent - very dramatic, imo. Also, the six episodes were specifically written as a self-contained, mini-arc that showed life with the Others. The remaining 16 or 17 episodes that starts in February will be back to the "Lost" storytelling.

If I want to watch procedural shows (some of which I do enjoy) that have a beginning, a middle, and an end - all tied up in a neat little bow by the end of the hour, then there are a plethora to choose from on the networks. Lost is original, dramatic, and exciting. I don't compare Lost to the first season because everything about Lost in the first season was new and fresh. However, the second season was very different and equally good (especially if you watch it on DVD, uninterrupted), and season three is JUST as different and also excellent.

Lost is only scheduled to run 4-5 seasons, per Damon and JJ. There IS a plan. I can't wait until Feburary.

Comment

4-5 seasons... unless they're offered oodles of money to continue it, then it'll get dragged into the ground just like some other show I could mention.

Comment

Le meme chose.....Lost lost me a year ago. Once a story splits and convolutes upon itself, it is no longer plausible or even remotely interesting. It became boring and predictable...but, that's just my opinion and as it's still on network, I must be wrong, right?
                          On fighting:
                          Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                          Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

I watch the show but I have to say that they (the producers-behind the show people) keep the fans in suspense for too long. Where is Michael? What has happened to him? Seriously?!

Comment

Michael's going the way of Jonas, and I really don't have a problem with that. He murdered two defenseless people to rescue his kid (knowing full well that his kid would never condone what he did to rescue him). I think Michael should've been held accountable for his actions.

As for Lost, it's really starting to lose it's touch. I'm becoming less and less interested in watching it.
                              http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Frankly, I'm loosing interest in it myself.
                                It's too complicated and most of the things you thought you knew have been thrown out of the window. It's almost like it's a completely new show and it has no basis in the real world at all.

I used to be hooked to it during the first season, I tuned in every week and I made sure I did.
                                Second season was the same but if I had something I had to do I could cope with missing it, this season I barely remember it's on. Pretty sure it's just this story arc though... at least I hope so.
                                I'm sure that once it gets back to the original Lost story-line after the six eps I'll get back into it.

~JB
                                Someone notices you. Someone somewhere notices you the second you walk into a room. Find them. Because they’re waiting for you. Waiting for you to turn your head, say hello, and make their day the way you’ve made every single one of theirs. Find them.

Comment

Working...
                                X