2008 Firefly Re-Watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Train Job

Brawling in the bar. Great way to open. I found myself laughing more during this one than I did last night. One of the difficulties with a pilot. There's so much information to convey that sometimes humor goes by the wayside. Jayne was hilarious after Simon doped him. "I was aiming for his head..." I had to flip on the subtitles to make sure I caught everything Niska said. He doesn't seem too pleasant. The actual train caper was great. Very exciting. But then there's that little moral dilemma. Should they steal the medicine? Of course not. Inara's trick to get Mal and Zoe free was clever. I'm sure she loved slapping him. I guess I should mention ships now. Aside from the obvious Zoe/Wash, I'm seeing Kaylee/Simon and a bit of Malcolm/Inara. After the fight in Serenity's cargo bay, I thought Crow would be back later. So, imagine my surprise when Mal kicked him into the engine intake. Then he repeated the same speech to the next guy Now there's people tracking River down. So not good. Where are the Reavers? I wanna see Reavers!

Thanks to jumble, Krissie678, & Pic for the awesome sigs!

Comment

Originally posted by DuncTK421 View Post
      Here goes nothing. Couple of comments on the basic layout. I dislike the DVD menus. They're icky. Remind me of MTV music videos and that's not a good thing. I also noticed the air dates for the episodes are all out of whack. Fox really screwed this one up. Now for the pilot. For those of you familiar with my Newbie thread, you know the format on how I tackle episodes. For everyone else, you'll catch on quick.

Serenity

The opening sequence really sucks you in. Dropped into the middle of a warzone with no idea who's who and why they're even fighting. Never mind that, we have pretty special effects! The very shot last is beautiful. Slow-mo with ships descending and what looks like orbital bombardment. I think I'm in love. Flash forward six years. Was everyone cursing in Chinese? My Chinese is really light, so I only recognized a couple of words. So shiny=cool. I like it. *adds to list of things to say* I liked Badger. Will he be back? Also, will Earth's fate be explained later? It's hinted that it's gone, but nothing is confirmed. Now I know this was before SGA, but I couldn't help but chuckle at Kaylee saying being a doctor is hard. Got another laugh out of Malcolm saying Jayne was their public relations person. I had initially pegged the doctor as the mole, but I was wrong. Turns out the doc's a fugitive. Interesting twist. Obviously River is special, but why is she wanted so badly? I noticed she seemed very uncomfortable when she could see any gun. I wonder what that's about. Kaylee getting shot was a shock. I felt bad for her. But she made it and Mal got to pull a nasty trick on the doc. Psychotic sounds about right. The Reavers sound really nasty. Not looking forward to seeing them. Their ship looked scary enough. The fight with Patience's goods was cool, but the chase scene after that was better.

I suppose I should say something about the characters. First off, I really like Mal. He's a great captain and cares for his crew. Jayne is just plain old fun. You all know there's no question about Kaylee. It's a bit early to decide on the doc & River, but I like the concept. I think Book will provide some good moral issues. I really liked his realization at the end that he didn't know if killing Dobson was wrong. I also think Inara's got a lot more going on than meets the eye. The only ones who really don't do anything for me at this point are Wash and Zoe. Maybe that will change. Really enjoyable first outing. Looking forward to the next ep.

...and what's the deal with those horses in the opening?...
      It's a space-western. You've got a space ship and horses to symbolize Space. Western.
      Then again, maybe someone else has a better explanation?

Yay!!! A new browncoat is recruited!
      Because you're a Jewel-fan...

Comment

The Train Job

Brawling in the bar. Great way to open. I found myself laughing more during this one than I did last night. One of the difficulties with a pilot. There's so much information to convey that sometimes humor goes by the wayside. Jayne was hilarious after Simon doped him. "I was aiming for his head..." I had to flip on the subtitles to make sure I caught everything Niska said. He doesn't seem too pleasant. The actual train caper was great. Very exciting. But then there's that little moral dilemma. Should they steal the medicine? Of course not. Inara's trick to get Mal and Zoe free was clever. I'm sure she loved slapping him. I guess I should mention ships now. Aside from the obvious Zoe/Wash, I'm seeing Kaylee/Simon and a bit of Malcolm/Inara. After the fight in Serenity's cargo bay, I thought Crow would be back later. So, imagine my surprise when Mal kicked him into the engine intake. Then he repeated the same speech to the next guy Now there's people tracking River down. So not good. Where are the Reavers? I wanna see Reavers!
        "Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?"
        *gigglesnort

Oh, and another Kaylee for you from this ep:

Gee, it didn't take you too long to pick up on those 'ships, eh?

Reavers? River? Hmm...

Comment

Originally posted by Pic-CollSwan View Post
          It's a space-western. You've got a space ship and horses to symbolize Space. Western.
          Then again, maybe someone else has a better explanation?
          Aww, I was trying to make fun of Fox's comments about the horses. Jewel mentioned that, remember?

Gee, it didn't take you too long to pick up on those 'ships, eh?
          Nope. I thought they were pretty obvious. I'm more interested in the Mal/Inara one.

Originally posted by Pic-CollSwan
          Reavers? River? Hmm...
          You tease...

Thanks for the Kaylee pics!

Comment

Aww, I was trying to make fun of Fox's comments about the horses. Jewel mentioned that, remember?
            Ah, yes.
            You caught me before I had my gorram coffee.

Comment

Ah, yes.
              You caught me before I had my gorram coffee.
              That's why I watch them later at night. My brain is fully functional by that point. Just in time for me to go to sleep and start the process all over again.

Comment

Bushwhacked

The person hitting the windows startled me. Not a good indication of things to come. Then there were those tentacles that appeared when Serenity docked. Exploring the empty ship was creepy. All the food and everything was ther, but the people had vanished. No sign of struggle or forced entry. Very ominous. Jayne really doesn't like Simon. He played that really mean trick on Simon. Good thing it was a trick since Simon had the suit on wrong. Then River finds the bodies. The icky, mutilated bodies. What could have done that? Jayne had the best quote here: "Looked bigger when I couldn't see him". The Reavers did that? *gulp* I thought the Reavers had already come back, turned out it was an Alliance ship. I hadn't realized how big their ships are. I was laughing during the interrogation scene. Simon and River found a great hiding spot. OK, the Battle at Serenity Valley. Was that the battle in the first episode? I guess that's the first look at a Reaver. Scary.

Comment

Bushwhacked
                  OK, the Battle at Serenity Valley. Was that the battle in the first episode? I guess that's the first look at a Reaver. Scary.
                  Yes (Battle of Serenity Valley), and yes (reavers=scary).

Re: Jayne's joke on Simon...

Yes, I made a batch of icons for every episode. I told you I have problems...

Comment

Originally posted by aboleyn24 View Post
                    I don't post about Firefly here because I am pretty active at a Firefly forum. Its great to see this show can still attract new fans after being off the air for so long.

I actually became a Stargate fan because of Firefly. I started watching SGA when I heard that Jewel Staite was going to guest star. I loved the show and went back and rented all of SGA and SG1 so I am sure I am guilty of Kaylee love spilling over to Keller like.
                    Me too! That's exactly what happened to me, only without the renting of all the rest of the series! And I started watching during Doppelganger(sp?), I watched Instinct after.
                    sigpic

Comment

Nope. I thought they were pretty obvious. I'm more interested in the Mal/Inara one.

You tease...

Thanks for the Kaylee pics!

Mal and Inara are my favorite ship on Firefly too
                      I noticed there was something between them right from the first episode.
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to Dunc for my pretty aurora and Muse sig. He had no part in the Twilight one

Comment

I think it would've been better had I seen the series before the movie, but it was still good. I definitely get annoyed with the fact that some people say you have to have seen the series first or you're not a 'true fan', and you can't grow to love the characters from just watching the movies, so certain things don't affect you. LIES, ALL LIES! Yes, I'm dramatic, just like YoSaffBridge.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora1101 View Post
                          Mal and Inara are my favorite ship on Firefly too
                          really?
                          Gotta say I'm not with you on this one, but I know there are tons out there who are.

Comment

My favourite ship is Jayne/Vera.

Kidding, it's Simon/Kaylee.
                            sigpic

Comment

really?
                              Gotta say I'm not with you on this one, but I know there are tons out there who are.
                              Yup. They're my favorite. So tell us, who's your favorite ship if it's not them?
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to Dunc for my pretty aurora and Muse sig. He had no part in the Twilight one

Comment

Dang it.

Dr. Jenn beat me to it!

Jayne/Vera -

Seriously?

Comment

Working...
                                X