Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spoilers:

(highlight):

It's been said that most, but not all of the storylines will be wrapped up. River's certainly, but Book's, maybe not.
    End
    A Quick Word from the Far Side of the Galaxy

Comment

My personaly belief on Book is he's the Polor Opposite of Mal.

[Spoiler, highlight to read]
      He was a General for the Unification side during the War, resulting in him becoming horrified with death and leaving to join the Church.

Comment

That would be my guess, but I'm holding off until the movie so that I can see something firm. The plots can get really twisted around...

Comment

Originally posted by JediTrilobite
          Of course, was that the same person who's in your sig about Babylon 5?
          No thats a Simon Pegg line from spaced.

Comment

Originally posted by the adventurer
            The Real question is, "Who isn't a Browncoat?"
            Me! I saw one episode and was bored out of my mind. lol The ship looked like a bird and was dark inside all the time, the crew seemed to fight alot, and... they carried revolves that are centuries old from their perspective... Huh? The show was just... too out there for me. People tell me to get the show on DVD, but I'm not gonna spend money on a show I've never seen more than one episode of. If someone let me borrow their DVD's, I'd watch it, but even then, I wouldn't want to own a cancelled TV show with no resolution unless it were episodic and just missing a "final episode."

Comment

A) Firefly is less Sci-Fi and more a Western. Yeah, there is no logical reason for 6 shooters in space, but it's part of the setting. It's a cool styling.
              B) It is semi episodic
              C) Again, while canceled, there is a film coming out to continue it.
              D) The characters fight amongest each other a bit, because unlike Star Trek or Stargate, it's not a Milatary is Space show. It's about ordinary people together in space.
              E) Firefly will always rock. Hard. No matter how many episodes it has or how incompleat the meta plot is.

Comment

I saw one episode and was bored out of my mind. lol The ship looked like a bird and was dark inside all the time, the crew seemed to fight alot, and... they carried revolves that are centuries old from their perspective... Huh? The show was just... too out there for me. People tell me to get the show on DVD, but I'm not gonna spend money on a show I've never seen more than one episode of. If someone let me borrow their DVD's, I'd watch it, but even then, I wouldn't want to own a cancelled TV show with no resolution unless it were episodic and just missing a "final episode."

I have some explainations:

1- The lighting. The crew and director decided that to enhance the realism of the show, they wanted natural lighting. Thus, the only lights that they used in the show are the ones build into the set.

2- Crew fighting a lot. I think that was mainly just the petty bickering that goes on from time to time. The chemistry and characterizations of the characters are pretty good. They all have things that you learn about them as the series goes on.

3- The Guns. Hehe, this is a fun one. Lasers are used, but in that universe, they're expensive and heavily regulated. Thus, regular firearms are used. Revolvers, shotguns, automatic weapons... they use a huge variety. I think only Mal, the captain uses a revolver.

The other thing about the show is that it's very very western-related. There are several historical parallels in the show and US history, and they wanted to emmulate the environment around the characters. There are a couple bar fights, revolvers, western-esk planets, sheriffs, etc. It works very well.

Comment

Originally posted by the adventurer
                  A) Firefly is less Sci-Fi and more a Western. Yeah, there is no logical reason for 6 shooters in space, but it's part of the setting. It's a cool styling.
                  I don't care if it's cool, it's not logical.

B) It is semi episodic
                  Sem-episodic as in some stand-alone and some arc episodes?

C) Again, while canceled, there is a film coming out to continue it.
                  Fascinating.

D) The characters fight amongest each other a bit, because unlike Star Trek or Stargate, it's not a Milatary is Space show. It's about ordinary people together in space.
                  Even if it's "ordinary" people in space, they're a spaceship crew, a team. They should be working together, not fighting amonst themselves. This right here is a major turn off.

E) Firefly will always rock. Hard. No matter how many episodes it has or how incompleat the meta plot is.
                  That's a matter of opinion.

Comment

to answer the question about sem-episodic, i thought what you thought, a mixture of stand-alone elements, as well as continuing the ongoing story from the previous episode.
                    Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson

Even if it's "ordinary" people in space, they're a spaceship crew, a team. They should be working together, not fighting amonst themselves. This right here is a major turn off.
                      However, if you've only ever watched one episode there's really no way of knowing how they interact with each other in future episodes, now is there? Just trying to add my perspective here, because I've heard of quite a lot of conversion stories from people who only watched one or two episodes, let it go because it wasn't for them, only to watch some more episodes later on, get into the arc and become a fan because of it.

I'm not trying to twist your arm here or anything - obviously you're perfectly in your right not to like the show - all I'm saying is that it is a bit unfair to judge it based on only one episode.
                      Last edited by Liv; 07 October 2004, 02:42 PM. Reason: Typo
                      Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

Me totally agree Because in one episode, they were fighting, from that point on, they stopped, but then i would rahter have a group of people fight, then just stand there agreeing with each other, because its boring with only a group of characters that have all the same views (my opinion of coursE)
                        Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

I love Firefly. The first episode I "watched" was Train Job, but I found it really boring so I stopped watching. Then a while later I heard that it was cancelled and FOX was going to show the real premier episode, so I decided to watch it because I felt bad for Joss (I'm a big Buffy and Angel fan). Wow, did Serenity blow me away. I thought it was absolutely amazing. I recorded it on to video and that was all I had of Firefly for months. Over the summer I bought the DVD box set and I watched the entire thing in less than a week. I love every single episode, including Train Job. It wasn't so bad once I understood the backstory to the people on Serenity. As of now I'm a big Browncoat and I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the movie.
                          MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Liv
                            However, if you've only ever watched one episode there's really no way of knowing how they interact with each other in future episodes, now is there? Just trying to add my perspective here, because I've heard of quite a lot of conversion stories from people who only watched one or two episodes, let it go because it wasn't for them, only to watch some more episodes later on, get into the arc and become a fan because of it.

I'm not trying to twist your arm here or anything - obviously you're perfectly in your right not to like the show - all I'm saying is that it is a bit unfair to judge it based on only one episode.
                            I'm not judging the show, I'm just saying it's unrealistic to have a crew that constantly fights amonst themselves and doesn't trust each other. Do you think SG-1 (the team, not the show) would be where they are if they were always arguing?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson
                              I'm not judging the show, I'm just saying it's unrealistic to have a crew that constantly fights amonst themselves and doesn't trust each other. Do you think SG-1 (the team, not the show) would be where they are if they were always arguing?
                              Well, as an Avide SG-1 watcher I can tell you that the inter-team interaction between Jack, Daniel, Sam, and Teal'k is what the show is all about, they may not bicker, but they do go at odds with each other farly often. Also they're a milatary team, inter-team disapline is part of the training and expectations to work as a unit.

Serenity is a privatly owned vessle, there's a captain, a 2nd Mate, a Pilot, an engineer, and a 2nd pair of arms. Everyone else is a passenger (a doctor, a priest, a crazy, and a Hooker) who get along well enough though again sometimes they get at odds with each other. It's a fasinating grouping of very real characters. Not everyone can have the disipline of the Enterprise.

Comment

The series was going somewhere, but there really isn't much you can do with 14 episodes. There were a couple that really showed that there was more going on, and there was at least three or four different story arc beginners.

Actually, firearms in space makes more sense in this world: they're cheap, easier to get than lasers, and they won't pierce spaceship hulls. Plus, you can pull the bullets out of people. I think that everyone in the show gets shot at least once, save Inara.

Comment

Working...
                                X