No announcement yet.

Serenity (2005) Discussion Thread Contains All Manner of Spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They weren't gonna realy be spoilery, but yeah I might play it safe and hold back for a week.

JANICE: Dr. Bob, you've given this hospital a bad name.
    DR BOB: You're right. Fred is a terrible name for a hospital. I'll give it a better name. How 'bout Eunice?

Comment

I'm going to do the same for a memorial thread.
      The 360 is out in Aus and I'm playing
      Mal: Was that the primary buffer panel?
      Wash: It did seem to resemble-
      Mal: Did the primary bufferpanel just fall off my gorramn ship for no apparent rerason?

Comment

I'd actually be keeping a memorial thread within a spoiler thread, like this one. If people are spoiled, no matter when, then they're not going to see the film, at least, not the Firefly virgins.

Comment

Maybe I'll say "For those who know what happens (spoilers)" what do you think?
          Mal: Did the primary bufferpanel just fall off my gorramn ship for no apparent rerason?

Comment

Why not just do it here? Instead of creating another thread. People can weep in the one place and not get the forum all wet.

Comment

Ok fine.
              Let's talk about our favorite Wash and Book quotes and moments.

Comment

"Oh god, oh god we're all going to die" and "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar" are my favorite lines from the movie.

Comment

I love the bit after the heist when all the crew are back onbord and Wash calls over the intercom 'Is everyone okay?.... hello?'

Sadly Book didn't have many go line in the film so I'll put in my fav of his from the series..

Book: If you take sexual advantage of her you're going to burn in a very special level of hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater.

DR BOB: You're right. Fred is a terrible name for a hospital. I'll give it a better name. How 'bout Eunice?

Comment

Originally posted by Imo
                    Book: If you take sexual advantage of her you're going to burn in a very special level of hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater.
                    That's my favorate Book line too.

Comment

I made a quick Buddha sig, I wouldn't honestly consider it spoilerish... just slightly odd...

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/2004/ponycopy7xg.gif

I was wondering if you guy's think it and similar type ones would be ok to use, soonish?

Comment

What about "I swallowed a bug"

Comment

Originally posted by Imo
                          I made a quick Buddha sig, I wouldn't honestly consider it spoilerish... just slightly odd...

Hehe, I love that quote from Mal. I think it's the shawl that makes it work.

Comment

Originally posted by Imo

I was wondering if you guy's think it and similar type ones would be ok to use, soonish?
                            Hee! That's great. It's not really spoilery but I'd save it for a couple of weeks at least until the movie's been released in the UK, etc.

Comment

This is my review of Serenity posted in my LJ a few weeks ago. I've made some minor alterations in light of my second viewing.

In Chinese, Serenity is made of two characters (ning jing). "Ning" means "to be still or tranquil" and "jing" refers to "quietness". The irony, of course, about the film is that there is nothing serene about Serenity. There is no feeling of stillness and nor any sense of quietness. Hostility is rife from within or without in the entire film. Members on board this space craft are at odds, as its captain, Malcolm Reynolds is teetering on the edge trying to keep craft and crew afloat. He is a man lost in the woods but this time it challenges him to make a stand. Something which he has forgotten how to do. It is the edge that makes Serenity the frenetic experience that it is. The pacing never lets up once the film explodes onscreen. In spite of its darkness, the film is never short on humour. That it finds time for humour in the most unexpected moments can be credited to the genius of its writer-director, Joss Whedon.

There are several jokes in this film. The first, notably, being the name of the space vessel in question. Named after a bloody battle in Serenity Valley which saw the Independents lose against the might of the Alliance, Serenity is a hotbed of tension among the crew. A member of the crew, angry with the captain, threatens to leave. The vessel is in a dilapidated condition and supplies are scarce. Fans of the show will also be aware that 2 members are noticeably absent: the clergyman, Shepherd Book and the courtesan, Inara. In the 8 months that has lapsed between the end of the television show and the film, much has happened. Shepherd Book now resides on a planet called Haven and Inara has returned to the training house, a place where courtesans are tutored in the fine art of "companionship". Our captain pines privately for her, as neither he nor she, wishes to admit openly what is obvious to everyone else.
                              The other joke is that the youngest and smallest person in the company is also potentially the most dangerous. River Tam, a genius and prodigy has been transformed into a psychic and lethal weapon by TPTB that make up the Alliance government. Much of the story is focused on this 17 year old fugitive, on the run from those who turned her into a killing machine and now from an assasin hired to eliminate her. Our assassin is a smooth-talking, katana wielding philosopher, who waxes poetic in his silver-tongued voice about the rightness of his mission. He is a believer... in the greater good and will kill to that end. The crew is potentially in danger from her but also from without as the forces of the Alliance are hot on their heels.

Of course there are all kinds of little jokes in between fighting and of course, gunplay. This is afterall, for the most part, a western set in space. Gun fights, explosions and evasive maneouvres are all part of the package. A package that delivers completely. What remains to be seen is of course whether non-Firefly fans will end up buying the package.

As a fan of the television series, I loved the film. It is one of the best things I have seen this year. Going into the film, I experienced different levels of excitement. Excitement at the way Whedon has taken these characters to the brink and back, to find some hope and a raison de'tre. Excitement at the eye candy and excitement that witty dialogue and good storytelling are not lost causes in a scifi action adventure.
                              sigpic
                              "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Hubs and I were discussing this little Mal/Inara exchange at the end... and we were wondering what you make of it.

Mal says to Inara something to the effect of... "Are you looking forward to returning to civilization?"
                                She says, "I'm not sure."
                                He says, "That's a good answer."

I thought it had something to do with their earlier exchange where he was telling her that she constantly confuses him... gives him all kinds of mixed signals, as it were. Or that she's considering remaining on Serenity for an extended say. But perhaps it has more to do with the fact that she's not so confident about civlization anymore, in light of recent events... But the smile she gives him threw me... gave me the impression it was shippy.

May go off and watch it again after work this afternoon...
                                sigpic
                                "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Working...
                                X