A new fan's view of the show+questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Huaracocha View Post
    That surprises me a lot, especially in a sci fi fan! I'll just stick with the old tried and tested observation that it would be an awful waste of (a whole hell of a lot of) space if we are alone . As for us being the dominant species.. If there is other intelligent life out there then logic dictates there would be lots of it. Lots and lots. So the odds of us being the 'master race' seem vanishingly small.
    It's just a possibility that someone's out there, I'm not saying there aren't, they don't have to be intelligent. They could be bugs, bacteria... etc. You misunderstood me. I didn't deny the possibility. I know it's possible, but what can be more likely is unintelligent organisms like the ones I mentioned.

About being the dominant species, let's just say, I'm kinda sure about that. Maybe even have a proof.

One other thing I wanted to discuss, do u believe what you see on sci-fi TV or movies? If you do then I can't help you, but if you don't then you would understand how a sci-fi fan can be someone that doesn't believe in intelligent alien species. I only believe it while watching it or while discussing it, but then I have to get back to reality. I can only believe what is accompanied by a proof. Some of the sci-fi stuff are theoretical and if I'm convinced they are a theoretical fact, then I would believe the possibility, but just the possibility.
    I'm someone that deletes all restraints of reality when watching or discussing sci-fi, but gets them back on when I'm not.
    I'm not saying I don't have an open mind, I'm just saying I can't believe something unless it can be proven right or if it's right in someway. I'm just practical, but that doesn't mean I can't have fun doing one of my favorite hobbies, watching sci-fi.
    I study sciences, so I'm the one who has the ability to see these scientific stuff and their wonders in their true natures and it's awesome, I just don't stray from reality. I'm someone who wanted to work on discovering new stuff or even study astronomy or astrophysics to study space in addition to another scientific possibilities.

So don't think of me as a person without an open mind. Coz my mind is wide open, just has a filtration system to sort stuff wether to reality or sci-fi stuff.

Sorry for the very long post. I just like discussing that threshold.

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
      yes that is what i meant, thanks. that is probably true everyone would fear them or think that they could be used to take over them somehow. and that is true, it would be a long time before government's would trust each other.
      Would you blame them? I mean this could happen. What if a Grayza was the one that came to Earth with a shapeshifter that takes the form of Crichton? I mean I think they have the right to fear them, but the way they deal with that fear is very wrong. And that fear prevents them from seeing the true wonders of aliens.

Comment

Originally posted by PrometheOSS View Post
        Would you blame them? I mean this could happen. What if a Grayza was the one that came to Earth with a shapeshifter that takes the form of Crichton? I mean I think they have the right to fear them, but the way they deal with that fear is very wrong. And that fear prevents them from seeing the true wonders of aliens.
        i definetly can see why they would fear them. and the fact is they aren't ready to really know what is happening, which is why crichton didn't tell them what happened to him when he was there
        sigpic

Comment

A question just popped to my head. How did Grayza find them in the tormented space? How did she even know? And is it really worth risking a journey to tormented space?

i definetly can see why they would fear them. and the fact is they aren't ready to really know what is happening, which is why crichton didn't tell them what happened to him when he was there
          The only downside is, if Grayza manages to reach Earth, there would be no kind of defence against her.

Comment

It's just a possibility that someone's out there, I'm not saying there aren't, they don't have to be intelligent. They could be bugs, bacteria... etc. You misunderstood me. I didn't deny the possibility. I know it's possible, but what can be more likely is unintelligent organisms like the ones I mentioned.

About being the dominant species, let's just say, I'm kinda sure about that. Maybe even have a proof....

I'm not saying I don't have an open mind, I'm just saying I can't believe something unless it can be proven right or if it's right in someway.
            That seems like a contradiction to me. If there is any life out there then surely some of it would have evolved to our level i.e. intelligence? It just seems weird to me to say that one wants proof before believing something - which is fine - but then to say we're the dominant species (if there is other life) which I would have thought is completely unprovable. Unless the "proof" in question is the bible or something of that nature in which case we should probably let that discussion drop

One other thing I wanted to discuss, do u believe what you see on sci-fi TV or movies? If you do then I can't help you, but if you don't then you would understand how a sci-fi fan can be someone that doesn't believe in intelligent alien species. I only believe it while watching it or while discussing it, but then I have to get back to reality.
            I think the old cliche that "I want to believe" would probably describe my position. I tend to believe anything is possible but of course I know, sadly, that fiction is fiction. I'm a big fan of fantasy (2nd only to sci fi) but even I have to concede that a lot of the gods, mages and sorcery type stuff probably isn't possible. Which is a pity but hey ho

Some of the sci-fi stuff are theoretical and if I'm convinced they are a theoretical fact, then I would believe the possibility, but just the possibility... I'm someone that deletes all restraints of reality when watching or discussing sci-fi, but gets them back on when I'm not.
            Yeah I'm a bit of a science type too and that's why I love sci fi so much because good sci fi (imo) builds off theories and what little we do understand of the universe to make even more compelling fiction stories - because they might just be possible

What I don't like is when science tries to tell us that A or B definitively isn't possible. I don't mean in simple terms as defined by our understanding e.g. if I drop an apple off the table, barring external interference from another force, it will fall to the ground due to gravity; that's fine and dandy. It's when respectable and learned scientists say things like "FTL travel is not possible" that I have a problem. What we don't understand about the universe is so much greater than what we do understand that we're effectively groping in the dark so to rule things out in that manner seems silly to me.
            "There is only one universe. It can only contain one life. It is me." - MorningLightMountain

Comment

That seems like a contradiction to me. If there is any life out there then surely some of it would have evolved to our level i.e. intelligence? It just seems weird to me to say that one wants proof before believing something - which is fine - but then to say we're the dominant species (if there is other life) which I would have thought is completely unprovable. Unless the "proof" in question is the bible or something of that nature in which case we should probably let that discussion drop
              It's not the Bible, but I still think we should drop it. I wouldn't have mentioned what the proof is anyway. I was merely stating the fact that I consider it proven.

I think the old cliche that "I want to believe" would probably describe my position. I tend to believe anything is possible but of course I know, sadly, that fiction is fiction. I'm a big fan of fantasy (2nd only to sci fi) but even I have to concede that a lot of the gods, mages and sorcery type stuff probably isn't possible. Which is a pity but hey ho
              That's good. That line is what prevents insanity.
              Those who are insane are the ones that watch science fiction and believe it right away. Like it could happen right now and that we don't have to wait for the future.

Yeah I'm a bit of a science type too and that's why I love sci fi so much because good sci fi (imo) builds off theories and what little we do understand of the universe to make even more compelling fiction stories - because they might just be possible

What I don't like is when science tries to tell us that A or B definitively isn't possible. I don't mean in simple terms as defined by our understanding e.g. if I drop an apple off the table, barring external interference from another force, it will fall to the ground due to gravity; that's fine and dandy. It's when respectable and learned scientists say things like "FTL travel is not possible" that I have a problem. What we don't understand about the universe is so much greater than what we do understand that we're effectively groping in the dark so to rule things out in that manner seems silly to me.
              No body is ruling it out. That's not what I said and that's not what science says. Actually these things are not denied. They're just left under the title of "Things that are possible, but still no proof". Of course we can't say it's right until we have a proof, but we still can't say it's wrong until we have a proof. Don't you agree?

Comment

No body is ruling it out. That's not what I said and that's not what science says. Actually these things are not denied. They're just left under the title of "Things that are possible, but still no proof". Of course we can't say it's right until we have a proof, but we still can't say it's wrong until we have a proof. Don't you agree?
                Yep totally agree with that I wasn't suggesting you are ruling things out, apart from the matter we've dropped, but I have seen scientists on documentaries, interviews or the like saying they are fairly certain FTL travel isn't possible. I've also seen some saying they're certain it is possible. Since none of these people are idiots and we're so far away from achieving anything of the kind expressing such confidence one way or the other on subjects like that seems faintly ridiculous to me.
                "There is only one universe. It can only contain one life. It is me." - MorningLightMountain

Comment

Yep totally agree with that I wasn't suggesting you are ruling things out, apart from the matter we've dropped, but I have seen scientists on documentaries, interviews or the like saying they are fairly certain FTL travel isn't possible. I've also seen some saying they're certain it is possible. Since none of these people are idiots and we're so far away from achieving anything of the kind expressing such confidence one way or the other on subjects like that seems faintly ridiculous to me.
                  There's nothing called certainly possible or certainly impossible. It's either certain. possible or impossible.
                  For what it's worth I think it's possible. And you can't be sure that we are so far away from achieving that. Maybe we are closer than we think. Sometimes the solution is as easy as it could be, but we're ruling it out because we consider it too easy to be the answer. Something that maynot be related, but it helps. We shall see. I like pushing those horizons and I believe we can. We were made with that ability. We just have like a drop of the ocean of knowledge. I wanna get deeper in that ocean. All scientists do. That's why I'm studying it.
                  The only problem is sci-fi is not the answer. Experiments are. sci-fi do one part which is pushing your horizons and opening your mind and we have to do the rest ourselves.

Comment

Episode(414)- Twice Shy
                    -Comments:
                    1- This is the most frelling complicating relationship I have ever seen. That's all I have to say.
                    2- Decent episode. What happened made them suffer and see things with different view.
                    3- Rygel who's not greedy? I was gonna say never gonna happen, but we finally saw a glimpse of it. But he's a huge scammer.
                    4- I didn't believe that Chiana did this, but I hate Aeryn for cutting that.
                    5- Scorpy-Sikozu relationship?
                    6- Looks like Noranti is not as stupid as I thought she was. She's not a child.
                    7- You can't be serious. Spider soup!!!!
                    8- John is smart and Aeryn is catches an idea as quickly as needed. I liked the last scene. I love the idea of forbidden love or whatever is similar to that.
                    -Questions:
                    1- Why does Aeryn look different? She has been since she returned at the beginning of season 4.
                    2- So far, I haven't understood whether this is Crichton's baby or that PK scientist's. Whose is it?
                    3- Is it just me or is there a change in Scorpy's outfit? (other than the cool new cooling device. I knew he had to do something soon as he'll be out of cooling rods. Centrifugal force?)

Comment

wait is this your first time watching the show?

1. yeah i noticed that too, maybe claudia changed her hair.
                      2. watch the show.
                      3. not that i noticed and i just finished the show, so it wasn't that long ago.
                      sigpic

Comment

I remember from an interview with Wayne Pygram that there was a change to the Scorpy outfit but I think that was from S3 onwards although it could have been S4. Not intentionally to the look but to the materials since it was too tight and was causing him to pass out at times!

Comment

wait is this your first time watching the show?
                          You mean you haven't read the title of this thread?
                          What made you think of that?
                          So does that mean you spoiled something for me without even me nowing?

2. watch the show.
                          You mean I'll get the answer later?

Comment

I remember from an interview with Wayne Pygram that there was a change to the Scorpy outfit but I think that was from S3 onwards although it could have been S4. Not intentionally to the look but to the materials since it was too tight and was causing him to pass out at times!
                            I'm not a good spotter. I don't know how I noticed this, but I did.
                            You can't be serious (tight outfit). Are you sure? That's the funniest thing I've heard/

Comment

Bad Timming tells us the father of Aeryn's child
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Should have done it earlier, right after I finished the episode, but I was a bit busy, so I might forget some things that I will post later if I do remember.
                                Episode(415)- Mental as anything
                                -Comments:
                                1- WOW mental discipline. I wanna try that.
                                2- Wow that's one committed wife. Where can one find someone like that
                                3- D'Argo really did go through a lot. He could hurt someone without even knowing then his wife died and then he lost his son twice and he's still standing. That's unusual even for a Luxan. Another Luxan might have killed his son for cheatng with his girlfriend.
                                4- Rygel is as much wise as he is greedy. He has great wisdom. Every episode I like him more and more.
                                5- D'Argo really know his wife.
                                6- It wasn't Macton's fault that Lo'Laan died, but to beat her like that even after she's dead. He's really sick.
                                7- That episode is one of season 4's best.
                                -Questions:
                                1- Was that meeting, an arranged one? (D'Argo and Macton)
                                2- Why does Scorpius know all about tormented space?

Comment

Working...
                                X