No announcement yet.

How expensive are the dvds!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm hoping that they will republish the box as soon as the webisodes are being aired, because like this whole thread says: they are just too rare and expensive.

Comment

they are getting even more expensive,..i looked at the Starburst Editions on amazon,..
      which are only 7 episodes per collections so three collections per season, and heres the prices.

Season one set 1 is like 80$$!!!!
      Season one set 2 is like 60-70$$
      but the other seasons are like 25-35$$ a piece makes no sense.....
      im very disappointed at how much they cost and by how the company who own the rights treats this very beloved series.
      Scaper fans are getting the shaft at every turn... FRELL!!!!!!!

Comment

Last year when I was looking for season 1 it was $300 CAD at amazon.ca. I just checked again and it's down $30. I ended up trying to get the starburst editions, but they aren't that cheap either. $150-$75 per vol, 3 vol per season... Or $25-$50 for Season X Collection X, two collections per season... Gets expensive. Not to mention I couldn't find vol.2. And they are all frelled up. Some are season 3 volume 1, some season 2 Collection 2, some are Starburst Edition Vol. 8, some are 2 disks per collection - 2 collections per vol (4 disks in total) and some have side a and b (2 disks total)... Gets bloody confusing. I have to try and remember the order of the episodes or check a guide and write it down so I know which disks to play when.

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
        buffy (7 seasons) is only $60
        Nice. I paid $60 + a piece for each season when they first came out.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rian View Post
          I'm hoping that they will republish the box as soon as the webisodes are being aired, because like this whole thread says: they are just too rare and expensive.
          Re-releasing the show along with the webisodes would be a great idea. Hopefully somebody actually listens to the wants of the fans.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by JohnCrichton View Post
            they are getting even more expensive,..i looked at the Starburst Editions on amazon,..
            which are only 7 episodes per collections so three collections per season, and heres the prices.

Season one set 1 is like 80$$!!!!
            Season one set 2 is like 60-70$$
            but the other seasons are like 25-35$$ a piece makes no sense.....
            im very disappointed at how much they cost and by how the company who own the rights treats this very beloved series.
            Scaper fans are getting the shaft at every turn... FRELL!!!!!!!
            Well technically it's not ADV selling at that price. The MSRP of the sets is 24.99 or something. It's the owners who realize they are rare that are gouging. There is something particularly rare about the season one and three sets. 4-disc season one sets are probably the rarest, I've only managed to get 1.3 in that form at a reasonable price. The season three sets are sometimes even more expensive that the season one sets, even though they seem to be less rare.

If you're looking to buy Starburst sets, the key is patience. Sadly you have to sit on your hands and wait for good deals to come one set at a time. After about 6 weeks now of actively searching for deals on amazon, ebay or half.com, I've only manged 9 of the 4-disc sets, 1.3, 2.1, 2.2, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3. And even at "good" prices, I've paid at least $250 for just those. That's probably what you would've paid at the store for all 12 when they were originally cheap at $20 each.
            Last edited by Chricton; 25 April 2009, 01:00 PM.
            Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

Well, after some research I found out that the DVD's are re-appearing in Australian dvd stores. For example, EzyDVD shows the new boxes being available as of early next month. (http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/792266) Unfortunately, no collection boxset with the complete series, BUT individual seasons at only 35 AU$! That's not even 20 euros for me (or 25 US$)!

Guess I'll wait a few months for this to come over to Europe!

Comment

to update you guys, paypal decided in my favour, which means the seller was in the wrong for not supplying them, of course.

Except they were "unable" to obtain the funds and will "try again" in the future. Currently disputing it, otherwise I'm out £86.

Comment

How much does it cost to get international post? Because you guys should consider buying in Australia!!!

Seasons of Farscape (when you can find them) are generally about $25 Australian dollars...which, if I'm right is less than $20 American dollars

My whole collection (including peacekeeper wars) cost me $110 AUD...thats somewhere near $80 American (or a lot less...I dont know what rthe exchange rate is atm)
                  sigpic

Comment

problem there is I think Australian DVDs are encoded differently. To put it basically, a DVD from Australia might not play on a UK DVD player. Just like American DVD's wont play on a UK DVD player.

Comment

Originally posted by Automission View Post
                      problem there is I think Australian DVDs are encoded differently. To put it basically, a DVD from Australia might not play on a UK DVD player. Just like American DVD's wont play on a UK DVD player.
                      Yep, but you can buy a region free player and still come out ahead on the amount you spend.

Comment

I don't quite fancy buying a sub par DVD player for one set of DVDs. My current player upscales DVDs to superior quality. Besides that DVD player would only be used for that one boxset.

Comment

I don't quite fancy buying a sub par DVD player for one set of DVDs. My current player upscales DVDs to superior quality. Besides that DVD player would only be used for that one boxset.
                          Lucky for you there are plenty of fantastic DVD players that are region free.

Do you have something against amazon?
                          Last edited by Randy_Watson; 27 April 2009, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rian View Post
                            I ordered the complete dvd set from Amazon UK some weeks ago for 97£ (not the marketplace), but they cancelled my order because they could no longer obtain one.
                            Just keep checking back. I think they only have 1 in every now and again so if you check every other day you might get lucky. That's how I got mine. I'd been putting it off for ages because it was too expensive and then saw it on there at the right price, though about it for a couple of hours and decided to get it, by which time someone else had bought it! Then a week or so later they had another and I bought it straight away.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Watson View Post
                              Lucky for you there are plenty of fantastic DVD players that are region free.

Do you have something against amazon?
                              and where did you get the idea that I hate amazon? I hate their prices.

Also my DVD player cost £600 is hdmi, a blu ray player, and upscales all standard DVD's to as high a quality as possible.

No way I'm replacing that with some region free DVD player.

Comment

and where did you get the idea that I hate amazon? I hate their prices.

Because their prices were and are much lower than HMV prices you were upset about in your OP, yet you seemed to be ignoring them as an option.

Too bad you can't enjoy both worlds for the player, I realize space is an issue for many, as well as the look of having multiple players. I have an HD-DVD player I use for general use which upscales excellently, so I understand that, but I also have a region free player that does the job nearly as good (better in certain instances, as it has a better zoom function for non-anamorphic titles.) But yeah, if you are only interested in Farscape as a different region title, then even a nice $50 player is probably too much.

I needed one so I could get all those fantastic UK productions they seem to hate releasing over here, or when then do release them, they are sub-par versions.

Comment

Working...
                                X