No announcement yet.

Falling Skies (TNT) - News/Speculation/Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find this show can be a bit hard to watch mainly because this is pretty much the most inept resistance group I've ever seen in a show/movie.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      I find this show can be a bit hard to watch mainly because this is pretty much the most inept resistance group I've ever seen in a show/movie.
      How do you mean?

Also I heard an interesting comment from someone about this show. That they were waiting for the "hook" the thing that makes it different from other invasion shows. I think the hook is that it doesn't have one. V was all about subtle invasions, as was Earth Final Conflict and plenty of others have their own little twists. This is exactly what it is, a show about humanity fighting a war against an invading race. Nothing going on in the background that will change everything. I like that, it's refreshing to find a show that isn't afraid to just put all it's cards on the table and not try to keep some mystery just for the sake of having a mystery.

Not saying they can't introduce new things, the aliens, the war, the reasons for the invasion. All that is good stuff that I hope gets revealed as time goes on. But there doesn't need to be some big thing like "Oh they were human all along" or some junk like that. Anyway thats all.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        More inept than the guys in V? I agree many of the fighters are idiots at times, but I don't believe it's to the point of breaking believability. I'm guessing many if not most of the ones we've seen are just civilians that have been handed a gun.

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
          You're right...there was a movie where aliens attached a creature like that. I can't remember the name of the movie, but in the movie it wasn't only children who had the thing attached to their necks.
          What do you mean? Invasion of the body snatcher? That's a classic. Ultimate paranoid sci-fi.

Ok episode. Nothing spectacular, but it's always fun to have scripted TV shows that are not sitcom or cop drama (which I like). I think sci-fi fans tend to nitpick their sci-fi shows and movie on the internet too much. But in general, I would hope to have some great more episodic sci-fi instead of the constant battling for survival serialized format. Those type of serialized shows episodes almost all become one of the same after a few episodes. I prefer diversity in my plots, adventures, explorations, more imagination.

When you watch a show like SG1 or Star Trek TNG or Fringe, etc, you don't know what the next episode will be about. In those shows, its always the same thing. "I lost my wife/child, sniff sniff". You will say that an episode like Fringe and even SG1 and TNG to some degree has some serialized elements. Its true, but it's ok that way, it's the perfect balance. Between diversified plots and serialized elements.

The only shows that did serialized format right was Lost because there were many mysteries and plot twists. It wasn't just a long season long episode about people crying about their lost ones and surviving. There was a whole mythology behind it (even if the ending would have needed more work). Its the mystery that was driving it for me.
          Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

watched the ep yesterday, i liked it though it wasn't anything super exciting. its interesting that they captured one alive, not sure if that was such a great idea. and i have to say the ending with the kids eyes open felt like lost. overall held my interest.
            sigpic

Comment

Last night's was okay, but I'm hoping it gets better. Don't like some of the writing or a number of the actors. Most of the actors just aren't compelling so neither are their characters. Right now Noah Wyle is carrying the show for me. And CC if they give him more to do.

As far as the writing goes, I hate to nitpick this early on but where could they have possibly gotten chicken at this point in time. Much less enough to feed 300 people. You're not going to be feeding chicken to the prisoner who tried to kill some of your people. He'd be the last one to get anything but rice. They need to kill off a bunch of those people or leave them behind or something to get rid of most of them, because logistically they should be too easy to find and too hard to feed.
              IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
                Last night's was okay, but I'm hoping it gets better. Don't like some of the writing or a number of the actors. Most of the actors just aren't compelling so neither are their characters. Right now Noah Wyle is carrying the show for me. And CC if they give him more to do.

As far as the writing goes, I hate to nitpick this early on but where could they have possibly gotten chicken at this point in time. Much less enough to feed 300 people. You're not going to be feeding chicken to the prisoner who tried to kill some of your people. He'd be the last one to get anything but rice. They need to kill off a bunch of those people or leave them behind or something to get rid of most of them, because logistically they should be too easy to find and too hard to feed.
                They could have killed a few chickens for fresh meat. Why the hell not? And as for the rest I'm glad you do not run FEMA!!!!
                The world hath known no greater love than this, to give one's life for his friends. John 15:34

The banning of images in SIGs suck.

Comment

I watched the first 3 episodes. I think the story is alright and I did not mind the acting or the characters.

It was the editing and the flow of the story in each episode it did not work for me, the episode seem to lack structure. I expect better from a project which has Spielberg as a guiding hand. May be it will improve as time goes on.

The thing that really annoy me is that they seem to have backed away from scenes which could have been made so much more power full and could have had a bigger impact impact on the audience than it actually did . such as the children being killed.

My favourite character so far is the leader of that gang they are keeping prisoner. He has the most dept to any of the character shown so far. An I am pretty sure he know more about the aliens than any of the current resistance fighters.

I did like the look of the alien and the mech it nice to have proper aliens on a show and ones which are not bipedal (may be they using the scrap metal to build there mechs)
                  Of cause the show introduce several mysteries, what the towers, why do the aliens keep the children alive (my own theory is that there something in a adult brain that prevent them from taking control of a human but so they are targeting children so that they can take complete control of there brains before they grow into adults, I expect to see children use as weapons sooner or later against the more annoying parts of the human resistence). What did they want with Maggie. Where did there mother ships go. Why are they here. To me there something suspicious about the doctor as well.

They could have killed a few chickens for fresh meat. Why the hell not?
                  Well the fact that chickens produce eggs may be a valid reason for not eating them. An as long as they are fed they will keep producing eggs. which would provide more protein in the long term.

As far as the writing goes, I hate to nitpick this early on but where could they have possibly gotten chicken at this point in time. Much less enough to feed 300 people. You're not going to be feeding chicken to the prisoner who tried to kill some of your people. He'd be the last one to get anything but rice.
                  It the civilians that seem to control the food and who gets it, a point made by the doctor, and it a old couple who seem to be looking out for him, they convince the commander to let him help in the kitchen. They are also cooking in bulk, everyone gets the same meal, it quicker and easier to cook like that than to make a seperate meal for a single person just to punished him. An I am betting the current resistance commander would do exactly the same if he could gain a weapon to use against the aliens, so I personally do not blame him for his actions.

More inept than the guys in V? I agree many of the fighters are idiots at times, but I don't believe it's to the point of breaking believability. I'm guessing many if not most of the ones we've seen are just civilians that have been handed a gun.
                  To me they look perfectly believable and acted believably. Just look at how inept the Libyans fighters were when they were trying to overthrow Gadaffis forces, compare to those the 2nd Mas look like a professionally trained army.

I find this show can be a bit hard to watch mainly because this is pretty much the most inept resistance group I've ever seen in a show/movin army that been waging war for years.

I got to say nobody can be more inept than the resistance fighters in the modern V, and they has train FBI agents, Mercenairies, and several Vs helping them. These guy have got one general was preparing to retirement, one bloke who did 6 years in the army and left and who was place in the reserves. i say given there situation they are doing perfect fine. An I find it more strange if I sure them acting like special force guys killing aliens by the bucket load. How would you have them act.
                  The skitters only growl so they do not seem to have an spoken language,
                  To me it sounded like they made a rage of different sounds and noises. Which suggest that they have some form of verbal communications. But they may no longer use this as there primary means of communications.
                  Last edited by knowles2; 08 July 2011, 02:05 PM.

Comment

According to TVbythenumbers, ratings drop 25% for adults 18-49...not a good sign.

John Pope is now my favorite character.
                    Chicago Con Attendee 2011
                    Chicago Con Attendee 2010
                    GateCon Attendee 2008
                    Vancouver Con Attendee 2007

Comment

I really enjoyed last night's episode. I hope that the ratings rebound a little bit.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                        I really enjoyed last night's episode. I hope that the ratings rebound a little bit.
                        Me 2 i dont mind this show at all, and would like to see this show continue beyond season 1
                        Last Movie Watched
                        X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                        Life is Strange

Comment

I went against better judgement and watched the first 3, quiet enjoyed it, especially the ninja cook, but tbh I can't see this lasting, it's like a TV series version of Battle LA, I hope they start ramping up the back stories a bit more.

I wonder if the skitter is going to use the kid to communicate?

Did anybody else get a Robocop 2 flashback on the alien machines?

All in though it was pretty good, I'll carry on watching
                          Last edited by Ian-S; 28 June 2011, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
                            Me 2 i dont mind this show at all, and would like to see this show continue beyond season 1
                            I've criticized the general state of Sci-fi shows above a bit. But this show is certainly on my must watch list, which is a good thing compared to 80% of what else is on TV (my only saving grace is that I love cop/detective shows).

I'm entertained by it and have fun watching it.
                            Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by RJLCyberPunk View Post
                              They could have killed a few chickens for fresh meat. Why the hell not? And as for the rest I'm glad you do not run FEMA!!!!
                              Get a grip already.

Yeah a few chickens is going to stretch to feed 300 hundred people. If anything you'd hang on to them for eggs.

And I'm talking story wise knock off some of that group (as in the aliens discovering them) or find some reason to leave a bunch of them behind. Duh.

Originally posted by knowles2
                              It the civilians that seem to control the food and who gets it, a point made by the doctor, and it a old couple who seem to be looking out for him, they convince the commander to let him help in the kitchen. They are also cooking in bulk, everyone gets the same meal, it quicker and easier to cook like that than to make a seperate meal for a single person just to punished him. An I am betting the current resistance commander would do exactly the same if he could gain a weapon to use against the aliens, so I personally do not blame him for his actions.
                              I get that they are cooking in bulk, but even when cooking like that you still make smaller batches to feed people from. It's not all cooked at once together. Rice gets cooked. Chicken (which magically is enough to stretch to feed 300 people) gets cooked. Then you mix them together in batches, and dole it out. My nitpick comes with the unbelievable possibility that they'd have access to that much chicken to feed that many people and still have some by the time they got around to feeding the prisoner. You run out of chicken before you run out of rice. Civilians may be doing that task but surely they hold some resentment towards this guy for killing one of their own. I'm not going to be feeding this guy chicken when other people in the group need it more. Yeah it's a stupid nitpick, but I didn't write that chicken conversation into the episode which made me go wtf.

As far as what Pope did, yeah the guy heading this resistant group might would do the same to get his hands on weapons. Though this show seems a bit too nice and not really willing to go to such lengths with these "good guy" characters.

Originally posted by knowles2
                              It was the editing and the flow of the story in each episode it did not work for me, the episode seem to lack structure. I expect better from a project which has Spielberg as a guiding hand. May be it will improve as time goes on.
                              I have a bit of a problem with that as well. I wasn't expecting great things from this show. Mostly that it just entertain. And it's delivered that for the most part, but it still has things that are bothersome and irritating. I'll certainly continue to watch for now.
                              IMO always implied.

Comment

Just watched the first three episodes. I'm really enjoying it.

It has characters I can empathise with and aliens which are just scary and nasty enough. They also look pretty good as well.

I love seeing Noah Wyle in the lead role...he's a good choice.

The chicken thing...unless I missed something...it wasn't mentioned where the chicken came from did it? It could be tinned..they seem be scavenging for most of their food that way. But even if they found some live chickens, I couldn't see them being kept for eggs, or kept at all. It's not that easy...not all chickens lay for a start. The survivors are hungry so, sorry, the chickens have to die! I'm sure it'll be the same if they come across any other livestock.

In fact thinking about it, I'm surprised thay don't go out hunting for animals for food. Maybe they do. There must be livestock scattered about the country as well as wild animals.

I like that, so far, the show's not gone down the overly dark route. It's just right. Relentless misery's something that I don't want to watch.

It's a bit unrealistic allowing Pope to live....but he's a great addition as a character and I'm sure he'll be fighting along side the others soon.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X