Eureka : Episode Discussion /Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThePope
    Hey, just watching this on SKY 1 and im not sure if its been posted yet on here but i just saw a Genii weapon!!!! A bit odd!
    eh? Where?
    Hallowed are the Xander. Love, Worship, and Rep/Green your all-powerful, omniscient God!

Comment

Originally posted by uknesvuinng
      There's quite a difference between referencing multiple well-known science fictions and referencing one science fiction that until recently was the biggest show SciFi had.
      Exactly. How about having Fargo own a comp (or even better a robot) named Gort? Or maybe SARAH can say, "I'm sorry, Jack, I'm afraid I can't do that." Or Henry can talk about his flux capacitor being on the fritz. There are TONS of possibilities, why limit yourself to ONE show, particularly when it's still on the air?

There's also the fact that I don't think that any (or at least many) of these "easter eggs" are eggs at all- I think they're coincidences that people twist into being Stargate references.

Now on the other claw, there was a bit of furor recently on Doctor Who when folks thought that "Jaffa gliders" were mentioned. I think it was decided that it wasn't, but I thought it was pretty cool while it lasted- because it fit in with the context of the scene and it was just one passing reference. Now, if I were so inclined, I could probably find dozens of ways that Who is easter egging Stargate, but I don't see much point in it. One joke is funny, many jokes aren't. Trying to CREATE jokes where there are none I see as a bit frustrating because pretty soon it becomes all about spot-the-reference and less about watching the episode itself.

I was watching some show last week and one of the characters mentioned an experiment a college professor did with his class. He told them all to watch the basketball game and count how many times the team passed the ball. At some point during the game a guy dressed in a gorilla suit ran across the court. The next day, the prof asked them about the gorilla guy and most of them said, "What gorilla?"

Point is, I guess, that I'd hate for folks to concentrate so hard on finding specific details that they miss what else is going on. Granted, folks are free to do it if they wish, but.. I dunno. I guess if it makes you happy that's all that matters, but if you're only watching Eureka to catch the Stargate references, aren't you better off just watching Stargate?

Comment

I'm watching because for once NBC/Uni did something right for a change. It's different, quirky, and off the wall. Just like me.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
          Exactly. How about having Fargo own a comp (or even better a robot) named Gort? Or maybe SARAH can say, "I'm sorry, Jack, I'm afraid I can't do that." Or Henry can talk about his flux capacitor being on the fritz. There are TONS of possibilities, why limit yourself to ONE show, particularly when it's still on the air?

There's also the fact that I don't think that any (or at least many) of these "easter eggs" are eggs at all- I think they're coincidences that people twist into being Stargate references.

Now on the other claw, there was a bit of furor recently on Doctor Who when folks thought that "Jaffa gliders" were mentioned. I think it was decided that it wasn't, but I thought it was pretty cool while it lasted- because it fit in with the context of the scene and it was just one passing reference. Now, if I were so inclined, I could probably find dozens of ways that Who is easter egging Stargate, but I don't see much point in it. One joke is funny, many jokes aren't. Trying to CREATE jokes where there are none I see as a bit frustrating because pretty soon it becomes all about spot-the-reference and less about watching the episode itself.

I was watching some show last week and one of the characters mentioned an experiment a college professor did with his class. He told them all to watch the basketball game and count how many times the team passed the ball. At some point during the game a guy dressed in a gorilla suit ran across the court. The next day, the prof asked them about the gorilla guy and most of them said, "What gorilla?"

Point is, I guess, that I'd hate for folks to concentrate so hard on finding specific details that they miss what else is going on. Granted, folks are free to do it if they wish, but.. I dunno. I guess if it makes you happy that's all that matters, but if you're only watching Eureka to catch the Stargate references, aren't you better off just watching Stargate?
          In Doctor Who it was a Jathan (or possibly Jatha) Sunglider. But yeah, there was a bit of excitement for a bit over the possibility of a SG-1 nod.

If one is convinced something isn't, then it's very unlikely they'll see when it is. Conversely, when one expects to see something, it's very easy to see it even when it isn't. Human perception is easily affected by expectations.
          Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by uknesvuinng
            Honestly, unless there's some interview or somesuch that mentioned there would be SG-1 references,I think many of these are imagined. Sorry.
            this is the correct viewpoint.

I'm glad someone else has their head on straight.

Comment

Well, the show is going from strength to strength...
              Great episode... this latest one...
              A flame from Henry's past -- nice...

The best thing about this show is Jack Carter because he really doesn't belong there and yet he does. He is really smart... not geeky smart but street savvy.

I didn't get the Stargate references but kudos to those who did... you're more switched on than I am.
              It's good to see people enjoying the show in different ways... hopefully that translates into more future episodes!
              sigpic
              "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo
                this is the correct viewpoint.

I'm glad someone else has their head on straight.
                Maybe it is... maybe it isn't...
                But if they want to read more into it, that's their perogative. It's only TV show afterall. And this is a forum afterall...
                sigpic
                "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                  I didn't get the Stargate references but kudos to those who did... you're more switched on than I am.

It's good to see people enjoying the show in different ways... hopefully that translates into more future episodes!
                  It is good to see people enjoying the show in different ways. How mature of you to celebrate that fact. Thank you for showing us how it should be done. It's a lesson we all can learn.
                  "You cannot reason with your own heart;
                  it has it's own laws and beats about things
                  which the intellect scorns."
                  - Mark Twain -

Comment

This last episode was ok, though it seemed to me that it has plotholes a plenty.

Spoiler:
                    I just find it incredibly unlikely that at no point did the guy use his device without a camera capturing it.

Also, I would have thought that plenty of people he worked with would have come up with the answers to the problems more then 20 minutes before telling him about them. This would mean that the people would remember coming up with the solution and they would wonder why the heck they didn´t tell anyone.

Still, a good episode.

Comment

I saw the premier last night and thought it was quite good. even though I missed the beginning when Walter turned the device on for the first time.
                      Sure there was loads of Stargate references but it was still a nice premier and the series looks like it has potential.
                      btw: my freind's brother complained because Walter's device looked almost identical to the device used by Doc Ock in Spiderman 2 !!!
                      Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Saw the premiere last night.
                        It wasn't brilliant, but it was quite good, and likeable. I'd probably give it a 7/10.

What's the actual format of the show - is it basically broken invention/weird crap of the week, or is it more arc-based?

Comment

i watched this on sky one last night, i thought it was really good. something different and very enjoyable. im definetly going to carry on watching it.

sig by starlover1990

Comment

Originally posted by Ragnarok13
                            EASTER EGG: did anyone else notice when that jason guy pulled his convertible over, the license plates first 3 things were "NID".i dont know if it was on purpose or just a coincidenc, but i thought it was kind of funny
                            I doubt it was just a coinkydink; Wasn't it Peter Flemming who played Jason Anderson who plays agent Malcom Barret of the NID?
                            Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                            "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                            One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                            resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                            confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                            A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                            The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Xanderic
                              eh? Where?
                              Was near the begining when they unloading that guys motor home, you see the Genii weapon get pased around!
                              Stargate: Genesis

http://stargategenesis.sg-event-hori.../genesis/site/ - Genesis Home
                              http://stargategenesis.16.forumer.com/index.php - Genesis Forum

Comment

Yeah i noticed that one too.
                                I watched the pilot a few minutes ago and i thought it was really good, it was funny and made fun of the fact it was geek town. The girl was realistic and she grew on me, all of the female leads were good.
                                Col. chekov was a typical military type but i still liked him.
                                Henry was a cool character.
                                Look forward to the next episode, with them going to new situations it will be interesting to see how long their creativeity lasts.
                                sigpic
                                You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                                Stargate : Genesis |
                                Original Starship DesignThread
                                Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                                11000! green me

Comment

Working...
                                X