No announcement yet.

Eureka : Episode Discussion /Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It starts next week here in the UK, but from the adverts it does look interesting, so i'll check it out.

P.S. Sky One advertise it as 'A Town Called Eureka' have they changed the name or something?

Comment

Originally posted by RuleBritannia
      It starts next week here in the UK, but from the adverts it does look interesting, so i'll check it out.

P.S. Sky One advertise it as 'A Town Called Eureka' have they changed the name or something?
      The name hasn't changed to my knowledge.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Has anybody been watching the webisodes at the scifi site?

That non aussie Aussie annoys me too, can't really watch what's happening when he's around cause i'm cringing from the accent.

Comment

Originally posted by RuleBritannia

I don't think that's the name, I think it's the slogan.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
            I haven't had time, and I only finished watching the eps yesterday should I check them out? Are they necessary to watch the show?
            That non aussie Aussie annoys me too, can't really watch what's happening when he's around cause i'm cringing from the accent.
            I kept expecting him to say struth! It is so over the top!

Comment

Hearing non-Americans trying to pass off an American accent can be just as bad. I generally choose to be amused by it- particularly if the badness is deliberate and the accent is supposed to sound fake. No harm, no foul, as far as I'm concerned. I like the Steve Irwin wannabe. I hope we get to see more of him... and his archnemesis, LoJack.

*ponders if LoJack's accent is also patently false*

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
                Unfortunatly I can't get them to work on this computer, and it's the only working computer in my house at the moment. Are they any good? Are they actually important to the storyline?

In my spare time I set up a Eureka fansite, it's nowhere near as good as GateWorld is for Stargate or other Sci-Fi series, but it's a start I suppose. It's at...

http://www.bluero.be/eureka

But, anyways, what do you think of it?
                My new favorite quote:
                "Fly Lucius, fly"
                -Rodney
                My old favorite:
                "It's...it's like trying to do something...that's impossible..."
                -Dr. Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat
                  I loved Matt in Max Headroom, but I have to say when I heard the accent I was thinking please be South African! But then. Nooooo he said mate! He must be trying for an Australian accent... bugger.

It never works, OK yes, Americans might buy it but it still annoys me. Maybe he isn't in the series proper, seemed to be a few names missing in the opening credits anyway.
                  It was a very muddled accent... South African was my first thought until he said "mate". It sounded rather garbled in parts too .
                  Can't think what they thinking? Even Meryl Streep found it challenging.
                  Haven't they learnt anything from Lost?
                  Probably not...

Steve Irwin is an interesting thought... if it's a parody they're after...
                  He's really not a bad egg... does really care about conservation.
                  Last edited by Easter Lily; 27 July 2006, 11:51 PM.
                  sigpic
                  "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                    It was a very muddled accent... South African was my first thought until he said "mate". It sounded rather garbled in parts too .
                    Can't think what they thinking? Even Meryl Streep found it challenging.
                    Haven't they learnt anything from Lost?
                    Probably not...

Steve Irwin is an interesting thought... if it's a parody they're after...
                    He's really not a bad egg... does really care about conservation.
                    I can tell I'm in the minority, but I like Steve Irwin. I saw a profile of him and his wife a while back--they seem like genuinely good people. And their daughter is just adorable.

Hee-hee, Shadow! I'm also looking forward to more LoJack. Hmmm--was LoJack the same dog as the one in the motorhome? Didn't that dog get toasted? I really need to pay closer attention....

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat
                      I haven't had time, and I only finished watching the eps yesterday should I check them out? Are they necessary to watch the show?
                      Not necessary, it's a just a little side story about an unidentified furry manshaped creature in the forest outside Eureka.

Comment

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat
                        Hmmm--was LoJack the same dog as the one in the motorhome? Didn't that dog get toasted? I really need to pay closer attention....
                        I thought so at first, but they're a lot different. Crispy Pup was a Husky/Malamute type (I think) and LoJack is more of a shaggy wolf/mongrel. Or something. Definiteky different, although it might have been an interesting plot point if they were the same and LoJack kept turning up no matter what.

Comment

I had the CC on to see the part with the Sheriff and the professor and I saw the name Nanook. So I have to agree with Shadow.

Comment

I am watching the 1st episode of Eureka over again for like the 6th time and I really do like this show! Naming the house "Sarah" still tickles me. (re: Sara O'Neill) There are far too many playful SG references for them to be coincidences. And even if it is, I still like this show and Jack Carter a lot. His facial expressions are priceless.
                            "You cannot reason with your own heart;
                            it has it's own laws and beats about things
                            which the intellect scorns."
                            - Mark Twain -

Comment

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat
                              I can tell I'm in the minority, but I like Steve Irwin. I saw a profile of him and his wife a while back--they seem like genuinely good people. And their daughter is just adorable.
                              I think you misunderstand where I was coming from, I am Australian and it irks that most *many* US actors go for a broad "Steve Irwin" type accent when most Australians do not speak with that kind of broad accent. Australia has very many but subtle differences in our accent depending on where you live. I also get the impression the Australian accent is not an easy one for Americans to pull off anyway; so why not employ an Australian actor who has their accent intact?

Comment

Well, since Irwin is perceived as an animal maven/hunter/gamekeeper/whatever and since that's what Matt's character likes to think he is, why is it so insulting?

And the point, again, is that the accent is SUPPOSED to sound fake. Sure, you could hire an Australian actor, but doesn't it seem a little silly to have a real Australian with a fake Australian accent?

Comment

Working...
                                X