The Name of the Doctor (3314/714)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
    And yet was one of the better companions because she was mature enough not to be fawning and falling in love, yet innocent enough in time travel to be the foil a companion provides.
    That is a matter of opinion and better not discussed in this thread.
    I like Sharky
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
      That is a matter of opinion and better not discussed in this thread.

Why can't we discuss the merits of Donna?
      Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Emm, hmm, err..
        I havent seen the pre-time-war episodes (yet! ), but I live around this forum and other sources and have red about them - if Hurt is Valeyard (or if he is not, but someone else will be in the future of the Doctor), how could Valeyard possibly get to pre-time-war Galifrey (The trial happened on Galifrey, didnt it? It defiantly happened with the time lords (?)), if the whole thing is in a time lock and the Time Loards essentially do not exist?
        sigpic

Comment

Edi

The Valeyard is the dark side of the Doctor... In "Trial" (which was actually not set on Gallifrey, but on a space station at an undisclosed location), we learn that the Valeyard is trying to take over the Doctor's remaining regenerations, so as to actually have an ongoing existence...

It was never really explained how he actually physically existed in the first place, and why he would need to steal the Doctor's regenerations when he clearly simply could exist in the first place... But regardless, there's no indication (to me at least) that he was trapped in the Time War...

Indeed, as the Doctor is free, I'd suggest the Valeyard would be free as well.

(And, for what it's worth...
          An Unearthly Child (episode 1, start of ep 2)
          The Mind Robber
          The Time Warrior
          Genesis of the Daleks
          Earthshock
          The Ultimate Foe (episodes 13 & 14 of Trial) (purely topical)
          Dragonfire

There's a list of great episodes, one for each classic Doctor, if the mood takes you... The middle 3 should please, as they feature familiar bad guys...)
          back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
          "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
          "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
          and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
            Why can't we discuss the merits of Donna?
            Cause I don't wanna get another and or banning from the Mods. And its not that Donna can't be discussed just that this isn't a Donna Thread and it would be derailing the topic.

And didn't they kind of point out in the episode that what ever The NotDoctor was involved in wasn't the Time War?
            I like Sharky
            sigpic

Comment

Oh a "Wier icon" is a banning

I like Wier....

BTW I might start a Donna thread

Comment

Nobody's being banned,Coco.Sometimes a smilicon's just a smilicon...

Your new "Donna Appreciation" thread's been merged into this one : HERE,just so you know.
                ( You'll notice your own older posts are in there.)

If you want to discuss that merge ,pm me ,so this thread can go back to discussion of what happened in the Finale.
                The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Just gotta share this...

So there's a guy called Babelfish who has posted segments of Classic B&W WHO on YouTube that he's colourised... Eventually he was sought out to help to re-colour ep1 of Mind of Evil, frame by frame, because it couldn't be coloured using other methods.

Babelfish was at one stage asked if he was interested in working on the footage that was used in The Name of the Doctor, to which he said hell yes, however that was the last he heard of it...

There's been some criticism against the footage that was used in the episode, and the colouring of it... and this is what he had to say:

Give a monkey a word processor and it's not going to produce the works of Shakespeare; give some colourising software to a monkey and you're going to get The Name of the Doctor. It's a very simple equation....

I actually felt that the audio wasn't terribly professional either... (of the First Doctor) That is - it didn't sit nicely in context...
                  "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                  and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post

Your new "Donna Appreciation" thread's been merged into this one : HERE,just so you know.
                    ( You'll notice your own older posts are in there.)

If you want to discuss that merge ,pm me ,so this thread can go back to discussion of what happened in the Finale.

No problems here. I forgot about the existing thread

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post

Yeah... Baggy wil ban me....
                      I like Sharky
                      sigpic

Comment

Thought in progress: could the Hurt Doctor's being disowned have some relation to the Doctor's regeneration limit... could he have stolen somebody's regeneration cycle?
                        And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                        sigpic
                        Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

What limit?

NewWho hasn't acknowledged it... and I doubt they will... (well, though we did get the Valeyard reference, unless Hurt IS the Valeyard (unlikely), then it still wasn't affirmed that he was between the Doctor's "twelfth and final incarnation" (direct quote from Ultimate Foe).)
                          and lots more!

Comment

I am new at Doctor Who and just got through the Amy Pond Story till now. I got to say I love it and I see I still have alot to watch to get some of the references you Guys make. I just wanted to put my view of this Season finale out there. So please dont rip my head off if I get something wrong.

I also think this wasnt THE visit to Transalore. If it where, the Silence would be all over it. Nevertheless seing the Dead Tardis was cool and am I the only one that got the Impression the Tardis preserved the Doctor in a way? He replaced the Center Console after all. Also its weird how just the Disguese of the Tardis grew and not the actual entrance of the Ship.

As for the Hurt Doctor. I am still split. The Doctor obviously knows what the other one did, but since we are in a Time Travel Story there is no reason he couldnt know it from crossing paths with a Future self or something like that. I know he shouldnt cross his own Timestream, but he jumped into it in this Episode for christ sake.

On the other Hand if it was a previous Version, then it would have to be a seperated Regeneration of the Doctor. Since otherwise the Broken Promise stuff doesnt make any sense.

On a Final note on a Rewatch I noticed they where in Transalore in the last scene. Why would we encounter the old Doctor there? The other Doctors just ran by and this one probably stayed, because it was his Scar at the end of the Doctors Timestream when Clara finished going through his Timeline. They where at the end.
                            Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                            Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
                            There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                              One thing I was a bit unclear on -- was the River in this episode supposed to be the post-death Library backup River? That's definitely the impression I had, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how that's possible.
                              That's a great question, and I don't recall seeing a satisfactory explanation. There's much to love about this episode, but the telepathic, time-traveling, dream-state is awful. It's made more non-sensical by including "post-death backup River," who exists only in the data banks of the Library. What were TPTB thinking? Utterly ludicrous story elements cause confusion and diminish enjoyment of the story. I guess you'll all hate me for aiming critcism at this episode that everyone's praising, but this spoiled my immersion in the story.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
                                I guess you'll all hate me for aiming critcism at this episode that everyone's praising, but this spoiled my immersion in the story.
                                No, you're right (philosophically, if nothing else). And I agree with the specific, as well. It might have worked, as a concept, if it was simply communication within the same time period, but the cross-time part was just silly (as a method) without perhaps some sort of additional gadget.

Comment

Working...
                                X