No announcement yet.

The Crimson Horror (3312/712)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not wanting to pick holes in the plot, but a couple of things bothered me.

Firstly - at the beginning of the episode when Mrs. Gillyflower tells the young woman that she's "So sorry for your loss...". Surely that's an Americanism? And moreover, a modern Americanism?

Secondly - at the end of the episode, why would the kids automatically assume that Clara's a time traveller purely on the basis of a few pictures they found online?
    I've seen a picture of Batman giving a pep talk to troops of the 101st Airborne Division prior to D-Day, that doesn't mean he's a time traveller.
    There's this thing called Photoshop...
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
      Mr Sweet... Ew indeed

I was expecting the Great Intelligence...

But! I now have a theory..

The Doctor wanted to go to London because that's where he met Clara the first time.. He ended up in Yorkshire by mistake, but Clara appeared in London as well.. and died there because the timeline was altered.. her timeline was altered.. The Clara he met the first time was the same one he has been travelling with, but time is being altered by someone or something.. leading The Doctor to something.. or away from something.. and that's where it starts to fall apart because I've only been thinking about it for two minutes since end of the episode with the photos on the laptop..

All the Claras have been the same age.. with the same personalities.. because they're the same person. Each time the timeline is altered she dies for some reason...(erase the timeline, erase the person? Or to deepen the mystery) And The Doctor is there to see it.. to keep him focussed on her so the thing (The Great Intelligence?) can complete it's plan without interruption? The Doctor is too busy solving the mystery of Clara so he doesn't notice what else is going on...

But anyway... We need more Strax He's one of the best recurring characters.. if only he would recur more often.. And I live in the North.. Strax definitely had the right idea...
      Verry nice theory. Good episode. I had some difficulty with the accents to understand everything. I definitly need a rewatch. Yeah, having the "gang" back together was a nice thing And I loved the ending with the kids. Though I don't no if I want them to have around as new +companions. But why did the doctor drop Clara at her place and vanish? I wonder what motivs and charcters from this episode will be picked up again. There is a lot of potention to later references etc. WOnder if we see Ada again. The goodbye had all the air of bringing her back sooner or later.
      I admit I thought Mr Sweet had something to do with the G.I., as well. Very creepy but also cute monster.
      Nobody asked me, if I wanted to live. So don't anyone tell me how I shoul lead my life.

Comment

Who is this Susan Foreman?

Did I miss the explanation... How did Mrs Evilhands know how to build a rocket? The slug thing was just a throwback to Jurassic times, so it didn't tell her how to build it...

I spent the entire episode waiting for the GI revelation... especially as I'm 3/4 thru reading my son "The Abominable Snowmen", with its evil goo oozing pyramid... Due to the above, I'm still expecting the GI to have been involved - unless I missed a realistic reason behind the early Aero Space program...

When the Doctor/Clara weren't to be seen for the first 1/4 of the episode, I was wondering if we were getting a "lite" episode... (with much consternation given the short season... err sorry, short year... err - whatever) Ultimately perhaps it was still pretty light for the 2 main actors... Certainly felt Clara-lite.

As to the 3 Stooges... I enjoyed seeing more of Jenny... but then ultimately felt like the Lizard Girl had very little screen time... Ultimately quite realistic, as having her freely roaming round olden times England with a "skin complaint" as the only explanation really never cut it for me...

If Strax were any more recurring than he is, I've little doubt we'd all get very sick/er of him... Doctor Who doesn't need a comic relief... Oh wait, that's where they got their lead writer...
        back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
        "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
        "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
        and lots more!

Comment

Finally a great episode I really enjoyed this...

What did the Sonic do that was a bit odd? Did it help Jenny change outfits?

Sorry saw Jenny change into leather but what did the sonic do today that was so different to the usual uses? I read online that it did something different this episode.

And do the lizard lady and Sontaran remember other events like demon's run?

I loved the feel of this episode a lot. It really did feel like Doctor Who
          Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Oh yes, that was my other gripe...

The sonic - somehow unreddened the Doctor when he was tucked up in that little cubicle... Then unfroze Clara too... with no real explanation whatsoever....

And um... a woman's period (to quote a Rimmerism), anyone?
            "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
            and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
              Oh yes, that was my other gripe...

The sonic - somehow unreddened the Doctor when he was tucked up in that little cubicle... Then unfroze Clara too... with no real explanation whatsoever....

And um... a woman's period (to quote a Rimmerism), anyone?

A what?

Comment

Attached Files
                and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post

Oh him. He's a git. Funny git but a git all the same.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                    Not wanting to pick holes in the plot, but a couple of things bothered me.

Firstly - at the beginning of the episode when Mrs. Gillyflower tells the young woman that she's "So sorry for your loss...". Surely that's an Americanism? And moreover, a modern Americanism?

Secondly - at the end of the episode, why would the kids automatically assume that Clara's a time traveller purely on the basis of a few pictures they found online?
                    I've seen a picture of Batman giving a pep talk to troops of the 101st Airborne Division prior to D-Day, that doesn't mean he's a time traveller.
                    There's this thing called Photoshop...
                    The whole episodes stinks of having someone acting from behind the scenes and I don't think that someone was Mr Sweet. The Doctor even said it himself that the slug would have needed a protector.

I think the great intelligence is behind all of this, including helping those meddling kids get aboard the Tardis. He got to keep the Doctor distracted from all those anomalies, WW1 guns in victorian times. The rocket programme. Those people singing Jerusalem before it was even written. An even from discovering the answer to his own questions and hypotheses.
                    Last edited by knowles2; 05 May 2013, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                      WW1 guns in Victorian times.
                      Yeah. Meant to mention that, the revolver was a bit too modern looking.

The rocket programme.
                      I didn't have a problem with the rocket. Rockets have been used by the military since at least the late 18th centruy.

Those people singing Jerusalem before it was even written.
                      Were the words they were singing the actual lyrics to Jerusalem? Wasn't it just a hymn with the music for Jerusalem?
                      sigpic
                      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                        Yeah. Meant to mention that, the revolver was a bit too modern looking.

I didn't have a problem with the rocket. Rockets have been used by the military since at least the late 18th centruy.

Were the words they were singing the actual lyrics to Jerusalem? Wasn't it just a hymn with the music for Jerusalem?
                        I square they were singing the words.

Comment

next week looks soooooooooooooooooooo good!
                          People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

I really wish people would drop the "manipulating the Doctor through time" theory, its season 7 not 5, the only way i'll find it acceptable to rehash the "pretty little thing" the Doctor became fixated upon, to the detriment of noticing his surroundings, is if this is a continuation of the TARDIS exploding voice.

As i understand it, Trenzalore is coming at the end of this season, at the back end of S6 the Doctor realised "Silence will fall" was his own silence, his death.

What sort of being could control the TARDIS like that and project its voice into the TARDIS to warn the DOctor of his 11th self's death?

Also, the pics where a little shock, but the amount of research to find them *low whistle*

N.C

Comment

Originally posted by Nth Chevron View Post
                              I really wish people would drop the "manipulating the Doctor through time" theory, its season 7 not 5, the only way i'll find it acceptable to rehash the "pretty little thing" the Doctor became fixated upon, to the detriment of noticing his surroundings, is if this is a continuation of the TARDIS exploding voice.

As i understand it, Trenzalore is coming at the end of this season, at the back end of S6 the Doctor realised "Silence will fall" was his own silence, his death.

What sort of being could control the TARDIS like that and project its voice into the TARDIS to warn the DOctor of his 11th self's death?

Also, the pics where a little shock, but the amount of research to find them *low whistle*

N.C
                              I don't think we will get back to this cos I think it was the TARDIS acting on its own but if they did ever want to come back to it, remember the echo room from Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS. Clara could interact with everything in the cosole room without actually being in it.
                              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I haven't seen anything to preclude my theory that Clara is some sort of "ganger". The Silence are still the big bad in the series and they would have had a fall back plan if River didn't kill the Doctor.

Somehow Clara is the ganger of River. The pre-marriage River. Perhaps the one that showed up in New York as a young girl after regenerating. Perhaps there was another regeneration that the Silence wiped from Rivers mind and Clara(River) is strapped into a machine like in The Rebel Flesh.

I suspect when we see River in the finale she will recognize Clara. I also think that they will find a way to put some closure on Rivers being downloaded after she died so we won't always be wondering if somehow she escaped back into the real world.

Comment

Working...
                                X