No announcement yet.

The Crimson Horror (3312/712)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now, I'm not usually one for action figures, but when the Vastra, Jenny and Strax set comes out I'm buying it.
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
      Now, I'm not usually one for action figures, but when the Vastra, Jenny and Strax set comes out I'm buying it.
      Dirty boy...!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
        Dirty boy...!
        You haud yer wheesht you! Filthy minded swine.
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

That was a good fun episode. I enjoyed it very much. It did remind me of Carry on Screaming ("Frying tonight!") but as I really like that film, that's no bad thing.

I totally agree that Strax, Jenny and Vastra need a spin off.

Actually I felt rather sorry for Mr Sweet at the end. Such a shame he got squished.

Comment

Hmmmm...

1. It was wierd not seeing the Doctor and Clara for a while.

2. What's that being locked in the room is it...a cocky git from the planet Galifrey? WTF?

3. Probably the best use I've seen of Vestra, Jenny and Strax yet!

4. "I'm the Doctor, you're nuts..."

5. Wasn't expecting what Mr Sweet turned out to be though.

6. Not quite sure what the point of bringing the kids in is but showing Clara her Victorian self is interesting.

Certainly a step up from last time round!
            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Thomas Thomas? Tom Tom.
              Ok, now I get it.

Comment

Other things I noticed upon rewatching:
                • I'm trying to read those posters that were pasted to the wall in front of Strax and Vastra in case they have references, jokes, secrets or foreshadowing in them. Unfortunately for some reason I didn't record the HD version of the episode. So far I have (spoilered for length):
                  Spoiler:
                  "WELCOME TO SCARRED SAM'S WEIRD AND WONDERFUL HUMAN WAX WORX PRESENTED BY THE M???IES FROM MANCHESTER JOLLY JOHN"

"THE CIRCUS IS IN TOWN COME SEE FREAKS GHOULS ??? GHOSTS PERFORM, TALKING DOGS, PERFORMING RATS AND DASTARDLY DONNA! SHOOTING GALLERIES STALLS AND GAMES, FIREWORKS, MAGICAL, SP?????, LIGHTS IN THE SKY, 100S OF SHOOTING STARS, TO END THE EXTRAVAGANZA FRIDAY 5TH APRIL..."

There are others (one on the very left mentioning St Pancras) but they're obscured - more importantly, why do I suspect that mention of Dastardly Donna is either incidental or a very deliberate red herring?
                • After the Tegan reference the Doctor says "Brave heart Clara" - how did I miss that?!? Probably too busy laughing at the reference I suppose.
                • Clara's look after the Doctor tries to do a Northern-ish accent made me smile. Clearly his last but one regeneration hasn't had much lasting impact...
                • The bit where the Doctor gets dipped into a vat of red venom is actually rather creepy and sinister I thought.
                • "I think you will do well, Thomas Thomas." What, no mention of Mr. Magellan's Magical and Most Convenient Celestial Navigational Contraption?
                • Lucky that giant bell jar shattered in just the right way not to shred Clara and her fellow occupant...
                • I LOVE the Doctor's response immediately after Jenny disrobes. Then again, maybe I'm reading too much into it...
                • Strax, as far as I'm concerned, you can eat all the Jelly Sherbet Fancies you want. Just tell me what it is you muttered after being ordered outside. All I heard was "grenades"...
                • I don't know why, but Clara is bit more likeable in this episode. Not quite as smug and superior, but still clearly clever and able to impress the Doctor.
                • "My monster" - I suspect that is going to be a lot more relevant soon.
                • I'm sort of surprised that when Mrs Gillyflower says the Doctor keeps turning up like a bad penny he doesn't say "Force of habit... and middle name". Missed opportunity there!
                • I loved Diana Rigg's performance in this episode. She does creepily pleasant and utterly unhinged very well. "You know what these are? The wrong hands, ahaha!"
                • Just how did Strax get up there? Amongst all the scissor grenades and laser monkeys and acid mines, does he also have spider socks, a hover vest or jet gauntlets? Or maybe the Doctor entrusted the antigravity Triumph to him?
                • Strax in a top hat... just awesome.
                • Clara... the boss? That sounds ominous and portentous and generally extremely very not good.
                • "No, I was in Victorian Yorkshire" followed by the perfect 'DAMN IT!' look.
                And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                sigpic
                Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

The boss... The Master?

Seems to be a lot of misdirection to keep people guessing..

*checks ^'s location* You live near PH ...Fake Northern accents are easy to spot.. Especially the Yorks/Lincs area ones.. when they say T'internet or T'lion, T'witch and T'wardrobe.. We really don't do that..

Comment

You're definitely right about the accents (I'm not even completely sure why he did one considering Jenny got in with a very obvious cockney accent). I'm not a Lincolnshire native though (I've been all over the place) but best I can tell after over a decade in Lincolnshire everybody just calls each other 'mate' or 'duck' and 'treated' becomes 'tret'. At it's thickest it's like Diet Yorkshire.

And yes, my first thought was the Master as well!
                    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                      Pretty good episode, nice to see the gang again, but I do think Strax was a bit underused, was looking forward to some more Strax humour.
                      So, the kids are smart... Putting everything together...
                      Good mix of humour and suprises though.

Next weeks looks good. New cybermen!
                      or were the kids given everything they need(the great intelligence lives on the internet). Or are they Clara handlers for whom ever she really work for.

"WELCOME TO SCARRED SAM'S WEIRD AND WONDERFUL HUMAN WAX WORX PRESENTED BY THE M???IES FROM MANCHESTER JOLLY JOHN"

"THE CIRCUS IS IN TOWN COME SEE FREAKS GHOULS ??? GHOSTS PERFORM, TALKING DOGS, PERFORMING RATS AND DASTARDLY DONNA! SHOOTING GALLERIES STALLS AND GAMES, FIREWORKS, MAGICAL, SP?????, LIGHTS IN THE SKY, 100S OF SHOOTING STARS, TO END THE EXTRAVAGANZA FRIDAY 5TH APRIL..."
                      more evidence to support my newest theory, clara is something similar to I.E Foreman.

From this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV5zZ...e_gdata_player ,

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/I.M._Foreman

I got the hint that she could be I.M Foreman or at least a time lord that shared a similar fate to I.M Foreman, their story matches up better than most of the other theories I heard or read. An of cause I.M Foreman could always have a connection with Susan Foreman.

I was disappointed that the battle of the supermodels was so short, wanted a far longer, a little more intense fight scene.
                      Last edited by knowles2; 04 May 2013, 04:09 PM.

Comment

I was born in Lincolnshire but I lived in London for 4 years.. before moving back (not by choice ) Sometimes I catch a bit of my own accent and think " Gah!! Is that what I sound like?!" ...At least no one here will notice..

Maybe The Doctor was tying to blend in.. or just wanted to prove he could do an exaggerated Yorkshire accent..

I get called "sweetheart" more than "mate" Sometimes "duck" or "love" or "sweetie" And it's ok to kill those people..

Comment

"horse, you have failed in your duty! Do you have any last words before you are summarily executed?" Gah! Love it!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                            "horse, you have failed in your duty! Do you have any last words before you are summarily executed?" Gah! Love it!
                            Haha, oh and Strax says "Ill go play with my grenades then" when he walks off after being told off by Vastra

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                                I was disappointed that the battle of the supermodels was so short, wanted a far longer, a little more intense fight scene.
                                I suspect it's as much because "proper" fights take a long time to train for, rehearse and execute. And because the actress playing Jenny (judging by the "behind the scenes" footage) has no experience of marshal arts or fighting.

Comment

Working...
                                X