The Wedding of River Song (3213)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zarius View Post
    You won't get answers in the Christmas Special, it's just another wacky adventure for The Doc
    Thats why i put and 2012

Comment

It was an okay episode.
      I enjoyed the flying balloon cars, the live chess, the pyramid. the Blue alien cameo from star trek. An Churchill as emperor . Even the catching up between River Song and the Pond at the end.

I did not enjoy the story. The ideas in the episode were way better than the story. See the Moffat got the mandatory Dalek in there, they got to or other wise they lose there license to use them after all (despite the bull**** he came up with for confidential, even he was stretching for a reason to include them). So that five season finals 5 times Daleks have appeared in them , not like I am keeping count or anything.

Through I am looking forward to see the difference between a loud and nosy doctor and a quiet Doctor trying to stay under the radar (probably cheaper episodes, less explosions, less CGI and effects, less aliens and less budget per episode).

Kovarian and the Silence are still out there and the Silence will still want there revenge. So there more storyline there, and we still do not know who cause that tear in the universe from last season do we.

I got a feeling next season we might be companion less for most of the episodes. But I hope we do not have the entire season focus on yet another death of the Doctor, cant they come up with something origina, than him kicking the bucket yet again.

To me it was hinted by the Blue Alien that Doctor may not know his own name and or at least some of his own past.

Hoping we get a blue alien episode next season, he an interesting recurring character.
      Last edited by knowles2; 01 October 2011, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
        See the Moffat got the mandatory Dalek in there, they got to or other wise they lose there license to use them after all (despite the bull**** he came up with for confidential, even he was stretching for a reason to include them). So that five season finals 5 times Daleks have appeared in them , not like I am keeping count or anything.
        I'm just happy it wasn't a massive Dalek army being introduced and defeated within the span of two episodes again. It was such a minor part of the episode, it didn't bother me one bit.

Comment

Proper comment later, but for now:

THAT WAS AWESOME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Vyse View Post
            I'm just happy it wasn't a massive Dalek army being introduced and defeated within the span of two episodes again. It was such a minor part of the episode, it didn't bother me one bit.
            Could be worse. They reintroduced the original universe (not Pete's World) Cybermen on a big scale and defeated them within the span of two minutes.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
              Could be worse. They reintroduced the original universe (not Pete's World) Cybermen on a big scale and defeated them within the span of two minutes.
              Really?

Defeating SOME Cybermen is not the same as defeating THE Cybermen...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Are you referring to "A Good Man Good To War" or "Closing Time"?

Comment

If River couldnt stop herself from killing the Doctor, how did she fire enough to waste the energy of the suit?

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                    Really?

Defeating SOME Cybermen is not the same as defeating THE Cybermen...
                    It's not about comparing what The Doctor did to them, but how well they were used. It was the first time the Mondas Cybermen were used (and only time so far) that they weren't scrap. Instead of giving us a massive two parter with the safety of the universe at stake, we got two minutes of Rory acting bad ass while The Doctor blew up ships off screen.

That's a massive let down compared to the times the Daleks have shown up a convenient army that will be used to thin out the main cast (Jack, Ninth, Rose, Jackie, Donna) but we get a chance of a fully functional Cyber Fleet and nothing really happens.

sigpic

Comment

It's not about comparing what The Doctor did to them, but how well they were used. It was the first time the Mondas Cybermen were used (and only time so far) that they weren't scrap. Instead of giving us a massive two parter with the safety of the universe at stake, we got two minutes of Rory acting bad ass while The Doctor blew up ships off screen.

That's a massive let down compared to the times the Daleks have shown up a convenient army that will be used to thin out the main cast (Jack, Ninth, Rose, Jackie, Donna) but we get a chance of a fully functional Cyber Fleet and nothing really happens.
                      While the Cybermen have always been a major villain to The Doctor, they have always been the source of some mockery. They are nothing compared to the likes of the Daleks and in the old series, certainly by the time the 4th Doctor had rolled around, they had lost all of their fear factor (with the exception perhaps of their appearence in Earthshock),
                      It makes sense to me therefore that they have become a sideshow villain. A enemy that the Doctor comes across and knows exactly how to deal with. It makes even more sense when you consider that they are so logical and computerised that they probably can't begin to operate on the same level as the Doctor. Unlike The Daleks that at least have the brains to take on the Doctor, at least some of the time.
                      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

It wasn't a Cyberman story though. I recently did a themed Doctor Who re-watch of stories that focused on Cybermen...but I never even considered including A Good Man Goes to War because it wasn't a Cyberman story. I'd no-more call A Good Man Goes to War a Cyberman story than I'd call The Five Doctors a Dalek story.

The Cybermen seen were in a position which could give the Doctor and Rory the information they need. That was it. Nothing more and nothing less. It could very easily have been any alien force that the Doctor and Rory went to get their info from but Mr. Moffat chose the Cybermen. And I for one was glad to see them again for a cameo appearance after their last full story in The Next Doctor. Plus, A Good Man Goes to War shows that Cybermen do things between the stories that DO focus on them. That they have their set-up and existence within the universe and that they do things between converting civilisations.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                        K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

I understand what you're saying and I agree with some of your points you're right some of these episodes seem rush for example "Let Kill Hitler" it really could have done with two episodes.

I tend to forgive them for this because I read some where that these past two seasons have a lower budget than pervious seasons because of budget cuts at BBC and the agreement of no tax hikes to fund BBC….the article even stated Matt Smith was getting paid less than David Tennant so I forgive them for rush episodes/ no two part episodes.

Comment

That is a good point though, the Cybermen haven't been used well overall throughout the entire history of Doctor Who.

Comment

The Tesselecta piece pissed me off, frankly.

1) The tesselecta files didn't have it on file that the Doctor was a tesselecta itself? Seriously?

2) It seems like some snide cop-out. Moffat didn't want to resort to using the "it's a clone" line so he just pulled it back one step "it's a clone but not really!" Like the difference between "I pray for the strength to forgive" and " I pray that one day I can pray for the strength to forgive."

3) Nice redemption of Amy's character. Not unexpected considering the circumstance, but still rewarding to see, for once, she was actually standing up for Rory for a change in a Moffat story.

4) Rory is the epitome of badass. "Oh, you're killing people through their eye. I got this." Can we get some motivational posters of Rory's Badassery?

4b) Why didn't Rory remember the real world at all? He's been shown to keep alternate realities in his head before.

5) Same question for Kovarian and the Silence. They have no temporal ability at all.

5b) it seems like a somewhat half-baked way to keep them apart for 20 or so minutes.

6) I loved him going through his old companions like that when he was struggling at the beginning. "I CAN GO TO JACK'S EVERY STAG PARTY!" or something like that knocked me right onto my ass.

Overall the episode was an 8/10 in terms of immersion, but when you sit back, or when I sit back, I give it a 6 or a 7. Acting was fabulous, pace was frenetic (a good thing), and overall very fun.

P.S. did they change the dialogue at Lake Silencio? I don't remember Napoleon giving him the wine, and I'm fairly sure he said "Don't worry, I know it's you." to River.

Comment

Really only one thing to say (besides that this is the WEIRDEST show I have ever seen...).

I REALLY, REALLY hope they they never reveal The Doctor's name. Like ever. Unless it's the definite end of the series. It would be just wrong otherwise.

Also, best quote imo: "We got married, had a kid and that's her." "Ok."
                                Rory is AWESOME!

Comment

Working...
                                X