No announcement yet.

The Wedding of River Song (3213)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've really disliked the romantic angle in the recent years, but for some reason I truly love that River and the Doctor are married. She's so not a doe-eyed youngster, smitten with Mr Timelord, but his equal. And so utterly wonderful.

So much to think about with this ep. So much emotion to process.
    sigpic

Comment

I thought it was 'ok'. It wasn't a spectacular episode.

I liked the fact that they mentioned previous storylines and characters, i always like this as it shows writers can appreciate the bigger picture/mythoogy of a show.

Unfortunately, i didn't like allot of it. I though the entire episode was all over the place, and not in a good way.

The way the Doctor solved his death was a big anti climax, i'm sorry but i was expecting something..bigger and bolder, not faking his death by using a walking talking machine copy.

The entire bit with Winston Churchill was pretty pointless.

I can enjoy Doctor Who if i go in and switch off my 'adult sci fi' brain. The show gets away with allot of things because it's primarily a kids show.

It would have been better if

a) They skipped the previous episode entirely
      b) Made the final a two parter.

This is the first series where the finale hasn't been told over two episodes. I think it suffered because of it, and it felt rushed.

Oh well will have to see what the Christmas Special comes up with.

Comment

Some choice quotes
        "How bad are my injuries?" - catching out the Doctor
        "Pond, Amelia Pond" - for the kids?
        "texting and scones" - the Doctor's idea of a date
        "All that flirting - do I have to watch this?"
        "We got married, had a kid and that's her" - Amy summing up an entire alternate reality for Rory
        "I'm his mother-in-law!" - Amy's horrified realisation
        "Doctor Who?" - widely guessed, directly or indirectly (e.g. "what is the Doctor's name?")

Loving:
        the time-at-once future, as an idea and in practice, especially the steam trains and balloon-cars
        the "live chess"
        the toy-TARDIS double-take, having not noticed the drawings etc.
        that the wedding technically only took place in a now-extinct alternate reality
        Amy and River syncing diaries

Not so much
        "A woman" - in response to a beautifully worded build up to what was wrong, seemed weak

Thoughts:
        Nice mention of Brigadier L. Stewart - similar nod to that give to Don. S. Davis' character, after he died, in the Stargate canon
        Most had worked out the eye-patches were anti-Silence, but the eye-drive was a nice touch
        That he told her his name (to match up with "Silence in the Library") then revealing he didn't
        Which means we still don't know when he tells her... since that's now revealed as THE question
        Clever twist: no longer who killed the Doctor (or indeed, did he die) but an entirely different plot
        Given the entire alternate reality was lost, what happened to the Silence and Kovarian
        Also, many assumed the dead Doctor was a 'ganger - nice mis-direction from the first half of the season
        We did have some suggestions that the big issue at the Lake would be persuading River (once it was revealed she was in the suit) that she did have to kill him (maybe not the context though!)

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
          Ok, proper comment coming later ( I have Merlin to watch...), but...

For me, the greatest, most touching, most terrible, and most wonderful moment of this episode was the Doctor's attempted phone call to Brigadier Sir Alastair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart. I will freely admit, tears streamed down my cheeks at this moment. The Doctor is about to die, so he calls his oldest and longest friend... only he was too late. There has been, imo, no more terrible moment in the whole of Doctor Who, and I wept.

From an out of Whoniverse PoV - it was such a wonderful scene to have included in tribute to a great actor, and the greatest character that Doctor Who has ever known. Moffat, my respect and admiration for drawing the Brigadier's story to a close in such a beautiful way given the time constraints.

To Nicholas Courtey, aka The Brigadier. *salutes*
          Yeah, I thought that was a really nice touch to the character. I thought it would be Sarah Jane Smith that a trubute would be passed to.
          The eye pieces being anti Silence was a bit obvious, but it was a nice touch that the Silence used it against them aswell, and the fact that they didnt care that they were using it on Kovarian too.
          She got what was coming to her!
          Also nice to see that Rory was as awesome as ever, standing to fight to cover their exit, and was nice that Amy went back for him.
          It was funny that the Silence greeted Rory with the fact that he always died, and that that would be the last time...
          It would seem that when it comes to the Silence, they dont really care about the people they are working with ie Kovarian.
          Also, some of the visual effects were amazing like London in the timestream.
          Anyone else think children wont be sleeping tonight when those heads ate the chess Viking?

The one thing I would say I was a just a slight bit disappointed about was that we didnt get to see Canton again.
          Last edited by Teddybrown; 01 October 2011, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Just thinking of something else. The whole alternate time-line, frozen-time thingy was due to the "fixed point in time" not taking place. It was assumed to be the Doctor being killed. So it would seem that the fixed point is actually the "killing of a fake Doctor"...? (Now my head hurts!)

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
              Yeah, I thought that was a really nice touch to the character. I thought it would be Sarah Jane Smith that a trubute would be passed to.
              The eye pieces being anti Silence was a bit obvious, but it was a nice touch that the Silence used it against them aswell, and the fact that they didnt care that they were using it on Kovarian too.
              She got what was coming to her!
              Also nice to see that Rory was as awesome as ever, standing to fight to cover their exit, and was nice that Amy went back for him.
              It was funny that the Silence greeted Rory with the fact that he always died, and that that would be the last time...
              It would seem that when it comes to the Silence, they dont really care about the people they are working with ie Kovarian.
              Also, some of the visual effects were amazing like London in the timestream.
              Anyone else think children wont be sleeping tonight when those heads ate the chess Viking?

The one thing I would say I was a just a slight bit disappointed about was that we didnt get to see Canton again.
              Well since there's still one more series of Sarah Jane Adventures to get through that might have been quite confusing. Although I'm hoping for a similar reference sooner or later.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                Well since there's still one more series of Sarah Jane Adventures to get through that might have been quite confusing. Although I'm hoping for a similar reference sooner or later.
                It depends where in the Doctor Who universe timeline Sarah Jane Adventures is set...
                But I see what you mean.

Comment

Can I have a fling balloon car please?

So many quote of pure brilliance that I can't write them all! Some choice moments though were Amy realising she's the Doctor's mother in law I also loved Rory's "last stand"; that despite being in extream pain he was going to defend Amy. The Silence even taunted him, saying how he always died and that this time she would never come back for him.... only for Amy to come in and gun them all down

liked the mish-mashed realiy though. It might be nice to learn what other events were goign on

Oh, and a nod to the Doctor's fling with Elizabeth the First! Poor lass, left alone in a glade waiting to elope. No wonder she wanted him killed!

Probably will have more to say.. .wehn I've finished goign SQUEEEE!!!!
                  If found, is probably lost on the way to Azaroth or the Pegasus Galaxy
                  sigpic

Comment

Squeeee is definitely the right word for this episode.

Comment

I liked that short they had on confidential 'death is the only answer' writen by the kids it was funny and good.

Comment

It was nice to see Kovarian brought down to weeping for help, when shes been so confident on her plans.
                        Was ncie to see them just ignore her while shes whimpering, then leaving her to die.

Comment

Wasn't that Liz Shaw who told the Doctor that the Brigadier had died?
                          sigpic
                          Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Comment

I don't think so - too young. But looked a little similar. Maybe that at least was intentional.
                            And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                            sigpic
                            Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                              I don't think so - too young. But looked a little similar. Maybe that at least was intentional.
                              Definitely not Liz Shaw. She's busy up on the UNIT moonbase.

Thoughts are getting coherent now. Should be able to say something constructive about this utterly awesome series finale soon!!!

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                              K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                                So many good lines in this too, but now we have to wait till Christmas and 2012 for answers =(
                                You won't get answers in the Christmas Special, it's just another wacky adventure for The Doc

Comment

Working...
                                X