No announcement yet.

The Big Bang (3113/513)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TARDIS exploding across time and space, okaay. But how did that explosion escape the time loop thingy protecting River Song then?
    How did Amy's memories of the Doctor bring him back after the cracks had closed?
    When did a vortex manipulator allow things to fly? It doesn't, it's just Time hopping and teleporting.
    Still not keen on the new Darleks. Oh look, it's the stereotypically American cousin. Fat.
    Also, why did Darth Sidious say "Silence will fall"?

Other than that, an okay episode.

Oh and before I forget, that Darlek should've used Duracell Ultra.
    Originally posted by Craig Charles
    "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."

Comment

Originally posted by Guest750 View Post
      TARDIS exploding across time and space, okaay. But how did that explosion escape the time loop thingy protecting River Song then?
      The TARDIS itself established the time loopy bubble thingy precisely to keep her safe from the explosion as part of its emergency protocols, presumably in such a way that when the explosion energy breaks through into the control room, the loop resets and the control room is restored, ad infinitum.

How did Amy's memories of the Doctor bring him back after the cracks had closed?
      If something can be remembered, it can be restored. At least, that's what the Doctor said. And Amy had been exposed to the crack most of her life, so she's got a weird super-duper memory ability...thing...yeah, I thought this was a little tenuous too, but I think the idea is that as long as some hint or trace of an unwritten object remains on these side of the cracks when they seal, the universe retains the 'pattern' needed to restore something completely. And Amy's memory was a damn good trace because of her lifelong exposure to the crack in her wall.

When did a vortex manipulator allow things to fly? It doesn't, it's just Time hopping and teleporting.
      Maybe its the combination of the Pandorica's apparently rather powerful and presumably very advanced systems and the Vortex Manipulator that allows the flight effect. River did say the Doctor had wired the VM to the Pandorica. Or maybe a VM can do that but needs a lot of power, who knows?

Still not keen on the new Darleks.
      I hate to admit it, but they're really growing on me now. I notice the production team are very careful not to show them from the rear though, which is still ugly as sin.

Oh look, it's the stereotypically American cousin. Fat.
      Where? Did I miss something? And to be completely honest and blunt (though I'm not in any way trying to offend), the majority of Brits on American shows are depicted in a ridiculous and stereotypical way, so turnabout is fair play on that one. Not all of them, certainly, but a lot.

Also, why did Darth Sidious say "Silence will fall"?
      The Silence is still out there, as is who/whatever was powerful enough to control and blow up the TARDIS. It's a teaser for the next season, and proof that Moffat thinks about the long term. And yes, it does sound a helluva lot like Palpatine, doesn't it?! Though I think it may actually be
      Spoiler:
      Philip Madoc

Other than that, an okay episode.

Oh and before I forget, that Darlek should've used Duracell Ultra.
      Yes, but I expect they too may have been unwritten and never have existed.
      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
      sigpic
      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Re: The 'flying Pandorica'. The way I read it is thus.

The Pandorica utilises time locks, therefore it has some degree of control over the flow of time. It is not a time machine per se, but it is a machine designed to harness time. Time has a relative relastionship with gravity. Logically, and that's all this is, as I'm not a scientist, any device capable of harnessing time at a base level, should be able to be adapted to harness gravity. And that's what I viewed as happening there, I reckon a gravity bubble was created around the Pandorica that allowed its 'flight'.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
          "What in the name of sanity have you got on your head?"
          "It's a fez. I wear a fez now. Fezzes are cool!"
          sigpic
          Don't touch Lola

Comment

This episode was quite a big bang. I don't have much to say because I loved it so much.......so much....

Comment

Originally posted by Rickington View Post
              Dude, I posted that above Blencathra. I'm not having a go but you stepped on my post but you must of missed it, it's OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
                Dude, I posted that above Blencathra. I'm not having a go but you stepped on my post but you must of missed it, it's OK.
                Nothing is wrong with repeating a awesome quote!

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                  Indeed.

"It's a fez; I wear a Fez now; Fezzes are cool."
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
                    Best. Episode. Ever.

"Its a Fez. I wear a Fez now. Fez's are cool."
                    Originally posted by Rickington View Post
                    Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                    Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                    Indeed.

"It's a fez; I wear a Fez now; Fezzes are cool."
                    Well. I think I know where this thread is headed...

I am still a little bugged by the whole 'and because one little girl remembered, the Doctor was magically brought back into the world, and everybody lived happily ever after, the end' thing with this episode. I think it's more enjoyable as spectacle, as so many Who finales have become, and perhaps not entirely worth dissecting and analysing because inevitably, glitches will occur.

How come the Doctor got shot by a Dalek and didn't a) die or b) regenerate? I can only imagine the partially restored Dalek didn't have much force behind it's blast, which makes sense, but still - an opportune glancing blow by an 'impure' Dalek caused Ten to begin regenerating inside of a minute in Stolen Earth, but despite a full body shot on Eleven, he has time to use the VM, fall down some stairs, whisper in his own ear, play dead until everybody's gone and then crawl or stagger into the Pandorica...all without regenerating or copping it. The Dalek must have had it's gun-stick on one of the lower settings, only slightly above 'mildly painful, some irritation, may cause increased risk of arthritis later in life'.

That said, I thoroughly enjoyed the episode, especially Matt Smith and Arthur Darvill's performances.

And finally...itsafeziwearafeznowfezzesarecool
                    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                      How come the Doctor got shot by a Dalek and didn't a) die or b) regenerate? I can only imagine the partially restored Dalek didn't have much force behind it's blast, which makes sense, but still - an opportune glancing blow by an 'impure' Dalek caused Ten to begin regenerating inside of a minute in Stolen Earth, but despite a full body shot on Eleven, he has time to use the VM, fall down some stairs, whisper in his own ear, play dead until everybody's gone and then crawl or stagger into the Pandorica...all without regenerating or copping it. The Dalek must have had it's gun-stick on one of the lower settings, only slightly above 'mildly painful, some irritation, may cause increased risk of arthritis later in life'.
                      Wasn't it said the light from the pandorica restores life? All the dying doctor needed to do was get to the light and it would keep him alive. That's the way I saw it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
                        Wasn't it said the light from the pandorica restores life? All the dying doctor needed to do was get to the light and it would keep him alive. That's the way I saw it anyway.
                        That makes sense. It worked for Amy and the Dalek.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                        K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

While that's true I think it's more likely that it was merely because the dalek wasn't at full strength. Far from it infact. I mean if its shield wasn't even functioning properly then it couldn't have had much power for weaponry either.

As for Amy essentially wishing the Doctor back into exsistance, let me try and explain.

From what the Doctor told us, since the atoms inside the pandorica formed a sort of genetic blueprint to the universe the Doctor was able to reboot the universe and put everything back in its place.
                          However this meant that since the Doctor was at the centre of the restorative explosion what he could not be restored with it. But this leads to a problem.
                          In the same way the universe had aspects to it that were wrong as it was collapsing (penguins in the nile and such) history therefore went on as it left off with events occuring in the same order with or without the doctor.
                          Now since the Doctor has been such a big part of many events that meant that while he did not exsist in this reformed universe, it did mean that he left an impact and there was a gap in the fabric of space and time that could not be accounted for.
                          But the Doctor had an out. Since Amy was linked to the cracks in the wall, thankfully from living so close to one for so long, it meant that subconciously she had the make-up in the universe in her head and thanks to a little persuasion from the doctor she was able to remember that there was something missing from the universe. This allowed another reset and allowed him to come back with the TARDIS.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                            While that's true I think it's more likely that it was merely because the dalek wasn't at full strength. Far from it infact. I mean if its shield wasn't even functioning properly then it couldn't have had much power for weaponry either.
                            I gathered the Daleks weakened state was the reason the doctor wasn't instantly killed and the pandorica's light was what kept him alive.

Comment

I gathered the Daleks weakened state was the reason the doctor wasn't instantly killed and the pandorica's light was what kept him alive.
                              This. ^^

I think it's unlikely that the dalek feared River, and didn't beg for mercy because it was her specifically. I interpreted that it was more because it thought she would show mercy, as one of the doctors companions, yet discovered that this wasn't the case.

Though it baffles me which one of the companions would show mercy for a dalek which has just shot the doctor?? That one came out of nowhere lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Gala View Post
                                This. ^^

I think it's unlikely that the dalek feared River, and didn't beg for mercy because it was her specifically. I interpreted that it was more because it thought she would show mercy, as one of the doctors companions, yet discovered that this wasn't the case.

Though it baffles me which one of the companions would show mercy for a dalek which has just shot the doctor?? That one came out of nowhere lol.
                                I'm pretty sure it's because it realised who river was and knew she wouldn't show mercy. Afterall she did suggest it search its records of her.

I'm not sure it's that the companions would show mercy to a dalek, it's just that the dalek believed that the doctors companions will traditionally show mercy in general. It just never occured to them that they might not show it to a dalek.

Comment

Working...
                                X