No announcement yet.

The Fires of Pompeii (3002/402)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They do say that it is the first time the new series has been filmed abroad not the first time ever in the history of Dr who, and as for the episode it was awesome esspecially the specal effects

Comment

I like this year's apparent habit of dropping in odd non-sequiteurs and then ignoring them to rush into the next bit of story. Bees disappearing; something on Donna's back....

Wonderful ep, so much to look at.
      Last edited by Madeleine; 15 April 2008, 09:08 PM.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
        Bees disappearing; .
        I still reckon that was just a reference to the real world problem of disappearing bees, which Donna in her new conspiracy theory personna put down to the Doctor

Comment

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
          I still reckon that was just a reference to the real world problem of disappearing bees, which Donna in her new conspiracy theory personna put down to the Doctor
          oh of course it is.... but there are bees later this season arent there?
          Spoiler:
          Disclaimer:
          I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
          Quotes!
          - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
          - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
          - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
          sigpic

Comment

Wasps I think.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gate-builder View Post
              Wasps I think.
              ah... but do wasps eat bees?
              Spoiler:
              Disclaimer:
              I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
              Quotes!
              - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
              - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
              - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
                It was kinda specifically given attention to - Donna mutters about stuff out of the blue and the Doctor stops and asks specifically about the disappearing bees. Much like the completely random way to throw in the Shadow Proclamation in PiC - and then again in Fires of Pompeii... and jsut like the disappearing planets. Had the Doctor not bothered responding and went "yah yeah" like he did with the rest of what Donna was saying at that same time I'd say it's probably a throwaway line, but they did go to the trouble of emphasising it, so I don't think so...
                Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                Yes, I am!
                sigpic
                Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

If this means we're heading towards a showdown with a bunch of evil shadows then can I just say w00t! It's always fun when my kind shows up to the party.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                    If this means we're heading towards a showdown with a bunch of evil shadows then can I just say w00t! It's always fun when my kind shows up to the party.
                    So you're connected to the Shadow Proclamation?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                      If the line |"what do you want?" appears in one of the epsidoes, I'll scream.
                      Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                      Yes, I am!
                      sigpic
                      Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                      Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                      Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                        It was kinda specifically given attention to - Donna mutters about stuff out of the blue and the Doctor stops and asks specifically about the disappearing bees. Much like the completely random way to throw in the Shadow Proclamation in PiC - and then again in Fires of Pompeii... and jsut like the disappearing planets. Had the Doctor not bothered responding and went "yah yeah" like he did with the rest of what Donna was saying at that same time I'd say it's probably a throwaway line, but they did go to the trouble of emphasising it, so I don't think so...
                        Hmm. I don't see it myself. It didn't read to me like they were particularly emphasizing the bee thing or foreshadowing anything with that... Donna just reeled off a load of conspiracy stuff she'd read online and the Doctor was kinda not really listening and then, as he often does, suddenly picked up on one thing and went, "Eh? What?"

To me, it was just the same sort of thing as him leaving at the beginning of the Lazarus Project and reappearing and saying, "I'm sorry, did he just say...etc?" as his busy brain suddenly caught up with what he'd been listening to.
                        sigpic

Comment

I just took that as being the only one that the Doctor was not aware of, possibly (I don't remember the other examples) because it was the only one that was not involving aliens/him

Comment

I wouldn't be so sure on the bees one meaning anything- I'd bet it's just a throwaway random comment/red herring.

Which was the first episode we heard "Shadow Proclamation"- I know Rose said it in "The Christmas Invasion", but where did we hear of it before that?

Comment

It was in "Rose", said by the Doctor to the Nestene.

But I think it's nothing more than an equivalent of "parlez" / "parlay" said in a pirate film, or a flag of truce in a historical epic. I don't think it's a plot element - it's never been before - it's just been a phrase used to initiate negotiation.

Madeleine

Comment

In Rose it had articles, I think, suggesting it was a sort of treaty governing interstellar relations in a post-Rasillonic era. The recent episodes imply that it is a body with some sort of broad reaching authority. who knows if they'll do anything more with it.
                                Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                                - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Working...
                                X