The Fires of Pompeii (3002/402)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
    I personally did not find the episode that good, though it picked up a lot towards the end. Interesting to note that here the Doctor was able to sacrifice many forthe greater good yet in The Parting of the Ways he wasn't, though I suppose different Doctor's do have different personalities and thus different morals.
    I think the difference is that in this case Pompeii had to be destroyed it was a fixed point in time, where as in The Parting of the Ways the event was in flux and could be manipulated.
    A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
      I personally did not find the episode that good, though it picked up a lot towards the end. Interesting to note that here the Doctor was able to sacrifice many forthe greater good yet in The Parting of the Ways he wasn't, though I suppose different Doctor's do have different personalities and thus different morals.

Not the first time the TARDIS has been mistaken for modern art but still brilliant. As was us finally getting an answer to the question of what happens if a companion intentionally speaks the foreign language.

I'm intruiged as to why everyone is convinced that Gallifrey is going to be restored. The destruction of Gallifrey and the Time War thing was the perfect way to re-inject the mystery back into the character of the Doctor. Am I the only person who strongly objects to the idea of bringing back the Time Lords?
      I don't want Gallifrey back either.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

See now, me, I love a good ol' historical episode... and this was no exception. Truly joyous! And I agree with those of you who say that Donna is more amazing than we could have hoped for.

I am muchly happy so far this season, however a tiny frown appears between my eyebrows when I see the teaser for next week. The Ood? Why are we visiting this story again? I remember reading somewhere that RTD says the Ood are related to, and in close proximity to, the Sensorites - as seen in the First Doctor adventures. So far for me, this is the only interesting thing in regards to the Ood.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
          I don't want Gallifrey back either.
          Nor I, but I think that the arc might involve someone trying to get it back.
          Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
          - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

WOW! Docxtor Who just gets Better and better!

I loved this episode from start to finnish, theres some many good points that I will only list a few!

-Donna, I really like her character now, she makes voice of reason for the Doctor.
            -The CGI for this epsiode was amazing, definatly on par with Stargate this week!
            -The Bad guys looked very cool!
            -Donna finding out what hapens if you speak Latin, when the translator normally translates latin into English!
            -The psychics reading the doctors mind at the start witha few hints towards the Doctors past and arcs for this series...

Spoiler:
            Another hint towards Rose coming back "Shes back Doctor"

Also I wonder what was ment by "You have something on your back Donna"?
            Maybe a tatoo or birth mark which has some hidden message?

I also like all these hints towards planets being lost! I wonder if that will play a major role towards the end?

10/10 for this week!
            sigpic
            Banner Made By Me for Me
            The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
              And your point is? GW rules do not allow you or me or anyone to say negative things about the actors, unless they are constructive, polite and to do with their acting performance.

You can say Tate is not to my liking as an actor, or that you think Billie is better. Calling Tate a "tool" would IMHO go against GW rules. A Mod can/do/may disagree with my interpretation of the rules but I stand by it.

You can call Donna a tool, if you must, but not Tate. When was Donna's last name Tate? I thought it was Noble?
              Regardless you said i should learn the difference between an actor and a character when i was never talking about the character. Catherine tate is the "actress" who plays donna.
              Last edited by marty2006; 13 April 2008, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by marty2006 View Post
                Regardless you said i should learn the difference between an actor and a character when i was never talking about the character. Catherine tate is the "actress" who plays donna.
                Uh... Exactly. You can't call her a tool, as evidenced by that post being deleted...

Comment

Marty2006 - please drop it now. You're annoying a perfectly good thread by referencing posts that are no longer there.

Back to the ep:

I loved it, especially the stall holder who said "luvly jubly" hehe
                  and the Celtic bit - although it was starting to wear a bit thin just as they dropped it.

Totally cheesy though - that's good for me. But I hope they are going to stop pushing the Donna-argues-with-the-Doctor stuff. Yes, we know. Move on to something else now.

As for the Ood... no. I don't want to think about them.
                  In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Maybe Rose will be responsible for the missing planets. Ha.

Comment

Originally posted by marty2006 View Post
                      Catherine Tate is best known as a Comedienne rather than an actress, if you have a problem with her take it off thread and off board, me personally cannot stand her 'Comedy' show but as an actress she's ok, as Donna she's brilliant (Ok I will say no more on the subject)

Originally posted by Major Clanger View Post
                      I loved it, especially the stall holder who said "luvly jubly"
                      Phil Cornwell (the actor/Impressionist who played the stallholder) said on Confidential that he deliberatly bought a bit of Del-Boy into the character, then went on to do an impression of Frankie Howered as Lurkio and gave us a "Titter ye not" which was something I was doing all through the show :0

Comment

Tate is a serious actress, aside from her comedy roles she has performed Shakespeare and commedia dell'arte.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Just saw the episode and I have to say that I really, really liked it.
                          I love that Donna finally asked the Doctor what I've been wondering for ages - if the TARDIS translates all languages into your native tongue, what happens if you deliberately speak in another language? Answer: amusement.

"I am Spartacus." "So am I." *giggles*

Was anyone else reminded of Mary Poppins with the whole family rushing to 'positions' to stop ornaments from falling?

"You fought them off with a water pistol? I bloody love you!"

I felt so sorry for the doctor, when he realized, that he is is the one who is condemning twenty thousand people to their deaths, the not some force of nature but he himself is their executioner (poor doctor).

And you know, if I hadn't loved Donna before, I would have definitely loved her the moment she put her hands over the Doctor's and let him know he wasn't the only one making the decision, that she was making it with him and she was just as responsible. Way to go, Donna. Err, apart from the 20,000 people dying that is.

"Not the whole town. Just save someone." Great acting by Catherine Tate
                          He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
                          He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
                          And he's wonderful.

Comment

my personal favorite part of this episode was when the doctor says, not exactly, but along the lines of:

"right, want to destroy the earth, that's all i need"

shows he still is the protector of earth thing (thing with the timelords banishing him to earth in the old episodes)

Comment

Originally posted by huntress View Post
                              Just saw the episode and I have to say that I really, really liked it.
                              I love that Donna finally asked the Doctor what I've been wondering for ages - if the TARDIS translates all languages into your native tongue, what happens if you deliberately speak in another language? Answer: amusement.

"I am Spartacus." "So am I." *giggles*

Was anyone else reminded of Mary Poppins with the whole family rushing to 'positions' to stop ornaments from falling?

"You fought them off with a water pistol? I bloody love you!"

I felt so sorry for the doctor, when he realized, that he is is the one who is condemning twenty thousand people to their deaths, the not some force of nature but he himself is their executioner (poor doctor).

And you know, if I hadn't loved Donna before, I would have definitely loved her the moment she put her hands over the Doctor's and let him know he wasn't the only one making the decision, that she was making it with him and she was just as responsible. Way to go, Donna. Err, apart from the 20,000 people dying that is.

"Not the whole town. Just save someone." Great acting by Catherine Tate
                              Spoiler:
                              Disclaimer:
                              I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                              Quotes!
                              - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                              - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                              - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                              sigpic

Comment

One of the best episodes I have ever seen, this season looks promising. Loved it when the Doctor pulled out his watergun!

I really want to know what was going on with the doctors name. From what the girl said 'The Doctor' is not his name at all.
                                "Even the word 'doctor' is false, you're real name is hidden. It burns in the stars, in the cascade of medusa herself."
                                I really hope they explain that one fully, and don't leave us with only a few hints like they have done with the events of the timewar.

This might interest all the other Dr Who fans out there as well:

Four takes a somewhat different approach to the previous series. There are no big binding words like 'Bad Wolf', 'Torchwood', or 'Mr Saxon'. This time, it's cumulative: an element from every episode — whether it's a person, a phrase, a question, a planet, or a mystery — builds up to the grand finale. Russell T Davies says: "You've got to watch and listen closely. It's been seeded for a long time, with small but vital references going all the way back to series one. And remember the Master, in "Last of the Time Lords", mentioning the Medusa Cascade? Oh, that's going to come back to haunt us..." (Doctor Who Magazine Issue 394)
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X