No announcement yet.

The Sound of Drums (2912/312)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok here's my twopenn'orth on the Jack/Martha/Doctor thing. When Jack said "You too huh?" I definatly got the feeling he was talking about himself, now his attraction for the Doctor goes back to series 1/27/Dr 9, now Dr 9 played up to it, for the sheer hell of it or because he fancied Jack back we don't know, but on the back of the kiss they shared in Parting of the Ways, he (the Doctor) wasn't that upset by it. And the flirting in Utopia, Jack still has it bad for the Doctor and I think Dr 10 liked it, yeah, he's still got it bad for Rose but I think he's slowly getting back on track with his friendship with Jack.
    I'd love to know what went on between the three of them in between episodes, they all fancied eachother something rotten

Comment

Is it just me who was crying Stargate when I saw this episode? Gallifrey looked like Atlantis, the Master walked through some kind of portal which looked like a Stargate, he had a thing on around his neck which made him look like an Prior and was staring into fire and all that which Priors usually do.

Oh and how the time lords look down but don't interfere...

Comment

I see the master still likes childrens' TV
        (although the turncoat appears to have gone downmarket )
        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

I got the Jack liking the Dr aspect of it. Lucky Dr and lucly Jack Barrowmans partner

As for the ep in general : I liked it. I like the master and the laserdriver - that was a twist I didnt see, nor the ageing of the Dr. As for Gallifrey - beautiful

Cant wait for nxt week -especally as in the trailer for it

Spoiler:
          it looked as if the Tardis exploded on the inside
          Blitz

www.myspace.com/twilightpeace

One was an experiment made to cause destruction in any condition except water, the other was an aquatic expermiment to destroy the world...but in the end...Stitch and Nim: They made an amazing Hula team

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger View Post
            I see the master still likes childrens' TV
            (although the turncoat appears to have gone downmarket )
            Awwwwwwww is the Major feeling unloved now

Comment

Nope, didn't feel like Stargate at all.

John Simm. The man is brilliant. Hoenestly. I never thought I'd say this, but the mixture between RTD's madness and John Simm proves that tehre can be such a thing as a great "over the top". It's so... fitting. *Pitry in awe* See, that's the way the Master shoudl always have been written!

As for the coat in the UNIT scene, it kind of reminded me of the Master's capes, I'm sure Ainely wore soemthing like that? And the Jelly Babies! The Jelly Babies!! HA!

Toclafane. I wonder. Since the Master has no problem of breaking the Doctor's heart, it's possible that the Doctor knows how to stop them, and in line with his new found wisdom he decided not to tell the Doctor so that he wouldn't ruin his plans. I guess it'll have a rather easy solution tho - there seems to be quite a lot to deal with with only one episode to go, so the actual getting rid of the Toclafane should be rather easy - prolly like the wy they resolved last week's cliffhanger - and I've had no problem with that, bTW, I really didn't feel a whole scene of fighting Futurekind was neede.d They were the centre of Utopia, jsut a plto device.
              However, as for Sound of Drums.... it was good, very good, but I dind't feel it was as brilliant as the previous 4 episodes. Prolly because it's so plot heavy. Doctor Who is much better when its centring around human moments and ideas, witht eh plot episoes tending to be the ratehr weaker ones - not that it was weak, just.... not as good. But jsut like Army of Ghosts/ Doomsday, I guess we'll get more than enough compensation next week

"You too, huh" - yeah, I've also taken it to be Jack confessing his being in lvoe with the Doctor. Then again, I kinda felt like that from Torchwood, too, so it was an obvious thread for me. Speaking fo Torchwood! Oh, I can;t wait for it to come back and hear Owen Harper complaining on hw he had to spend time int he Himalayas! Ha! That should be classic.

I agree prolyl the worst part was the Doctor's becoming 100 years old, both the make up - I dunno, I felt the Family of Blood bit was better done - and the effect.... I hope he doesn't stay 100 for alll of episode 13! accck! Evil things, the next week preview had only one shot of the Doctor, they insist on not giving anythign away! *grawls appreciatedly. I don't really wanna know, even tho I do...*

Once again they've over done themselves with the music. Murray Gold's music is incredible, it adds so much.

As for the Time War bit - I got the impression they wanted the Master to do exactly what the Doctor ended up doing. End the war by any means necessary. Any other Time Lord would never have been able to do it, only the Master or the Doctor - and yes, I think the old series Doctor, as well, could have - adn actually did- done it. According to RTD's somethign or other Romana was the president of Gallifrey at the time - maybe she knew what she would be askign of the Doctor and therefore tried to spare him that by asking the Master. Huh, you'd have thought tho Romana would know better.
              Edit: oh yeah! Gallifrey! Time Lords! Silly costums and even worse hats! *Geek heaven*

Cruciform, tho. So Dan Simmons.

Bring no next week! And then give me a TARDIS and let me travel in time to series 4....!\

Oh. As for drumming. I'ev been drumming that bit all day today at work. Mwaha.
              Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
              Yes, I am!
              sigpic
              Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
              Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                so what are peoples theories on what the metal ball things are? afterall the master did say that if the doctor knew what they wereit would break his hearts.
                well.. heres my theory (mapp and I discussed this)

The Toclafane are the people the Doctor sent to "UTOPIA". Professor Yana set the coordinates did he not? He's deep down the Master and maybe subconciously sent them to their doom. The Doctor helped send them there... did he not? It would kill him to know he sent these people.. Humans to "Utopia"... I know there weren't six billion people aboard Yana's ship.... but who says you had to reach "Utopia" through Yana's ship... he prolly sent out the coordinates.. luring the people to "Utopia"... and they got turned into Toclafane.... I know that Toclafane "Boogey men" to time lords.. it's possible that The Master named them such to stir up nightmares in the Doctors memories....

just a theory...

Comment

Originally posted by root View Post
                  Is it just me who was crying Stargate when I saw this episode? Gallifrey looked like Atlantis, the Master walked through some kind of portal which looked like a Stargate, he had a thing on around his neck which made him look like an Prior and was staring into fire and all that which Priors usually do.

Oh and how the time lords look down but don't interfere...
                  nope nothing like stargate. besides he didn't walk into the untempered schizm (sp)

also those costumes have been used in old who (same design anyway) as was the general look of the citadel which all came before Stargate and that goes the same for the time lords none interference.
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

anyone else noticed that the drum beats are in the Doctor Who theme?

oooo eeee oooooo
                    Things we'd like to see in our favorite scifi...
                    Spoiler:
                    "Ori, meet Wraiths. Wraiths, meet Ori. I'm sure you'll get along famously." ~ any member of SG1.
                    "Priors, meet Cylons. Cylons, Meet Priors. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful theologic discussion." ibid
                    "This is the BattleStar Galactica - please identify yourself."
                    "This is the Earth Vessel Daedelus. Are you lost?"
                    "The WHAT Vessel?" Galactica Actual.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamid View Post

oooo eeee oooooo
                      Yes, now that I've played it back a few times, it definitely sounds to me like the underbeat from the Doctor Who theme Saxon and everyone else was tapping out.
                      "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

...Are they different than the usual drum beats in the theme? Or do you mean the "beating of the drums" thing might refer to the theme?

Here's a thought: what do two hearts beating really fast sound like? Or the patterning not right? Probably a bit too obvious for it to be that, but it popped into my head when the Master was telling the Doctor how "your hearts would break."

Comment

OK...

1. OK, Time Lords resurrected the Master and gave him a fresh batch of regens. Fine.

2. Not surprised about Doctor snarking over Torchwood either. Then the "that sounds like Torchwood". Well anyone who's watched Torchwood knows Jack better than the Doctor does now.

3. "You're not the Master". Not very subtle these Tochlophane.

4. What the hell is a Paradox Machine? Does it have anything to do with the Tochlophane?

5. Wild goose chase to the Himalayas. I can hear Owen's snarks now!

6. Yes, we know RTD is a Gater.

7. John Simm is one heck of an actor.

OK, had better stop there. The end of this ep was a "exhale when you didn't know you were holding".

Has to be the best ep of the season. How are they going to get out of this?
                          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Has a paradox machine ever been used on the show before? Would've thought somebody would have mentioned it by now if it had, but figured I'd ask anyway...

Comment

TOCLAFANE
                              Logopolis maybe?
                              Rastillon?
                              I thought they said it was an old story they were told as kids, it had the toclafane as the main character. The Master just used that name.
                              And the sound inside the Tardis? That's the cloister(sp) bell.
                              Yeah I mentioned that, the bell featured heavily in one of Peter Davison's stories, was it the first story? It was a whole big doomsday thing. Glad RTD is a fan of the classic show or these little things probably wouldn't be included.

Comment

Oooo... what if "the sound of drums" signals the approach of whatever it is that's lurking in the darkness? The one Jack's so afraid of; (Torchwood spoilers)
                                Spoiler:
                                the "presence" that Suzie (and one or two others) sensed when she was dead?

Comment

Working...
                                X