No announcement yet.

Love & Monsters (2810/210)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was an alien. He absorbs people for their energy and knowledge. He was after the Doctor as a sort of ultimate snack. He used a dippy group of innocents playing at investigators to try and draw out the Doctor (snacking on the group along the way) and was eventually defeated by his own greed.

The story was a bit wobbly, but I didn't find it hard to figure out. I could have wished for more depth or coherency, but I still enjoyed what we got. Except for the paving stone thing, which was creepy and pathetic. And I really can't imagine the Doctor condemning someone to a horrific half life like that.

Comment

I have to say this about the episode, It sucked (I even knew that when I saw the promo last week), I give it a * 1/2.

I hope next week's episode makes up for this crappy one.

and yes this dead last in my list of my favorite episodes.

Now I'm off to GEOS to give a rating of this episode.
      sigpic

Comment

The worst episode ever? Not by a chance. You have evidently never had to sit through The Web Planet, The Twin Diliema or The Gunfighters

I just sat and watched it a second time, and actually liked it better this go around. Mostly for the character development of Jackie and the emphisis on character. The cheesy lines, "TASTES LIKE CHICKEN!" Could have been left out, honestly I think someone needs to edit RTD scripts with a little more eye for detail.
        My favorite Doctor Who websites;

Each episode in amazing detailed notes
        Build a Dalek
        Build a TARDIS
        Dedicated to Pamela Nash, the woman who caused a ton of Who episodes to be missing
        The Police Box Website

KNOW YOUR ROLE, AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!

Comment

I understand why some people hated this episode and why they feel the need to let you know, but for me this is what TV should be about. I am old enough to remember when shows were not all carbon copies and when TV didn't stick strictly to formula week in and out.

I don't see this so much as a Doctor Who episode ( yes I know it is Doctor Who) I see it more as a cheeky poke at fans and scifi fandom. I think if you have a serious focus on the show you would hate this episode and you just won't be able to "get" it but as a non-Doctor Who/Doctor Who eppy I really liked it.

Could there have been more of the two main characters yes probably but then that is missing the point; I really see this as a gentle slight towards obsessive fans of the show and scifi in general. Why do I think RTD has had a lot of mail from upset/obsessive fans lately.

Having said that, I do want the next 3 episodes to be serious and pack a punch.

Comment

^That's what I pretty much thought it was in the end... Something like Stargate's The Other Guys or Joe Citizen... it had that kind of feel.

I didn't even mind the Abazarlof or whatever it was called... I loved the Scooby Doo chase scene but I would have liked to have more Doctor moments.
            Last edited by Easter Lily; 21 June 2006, 04:07 PM.
            sigpic
            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Loved it myself

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat
                I understand why some people hated this episode and why they feel the need to let you know, but for me this is what TV should be about. I am old enough to remember when shows were not all carbon copies and when TV didn't stick strictly to formula week in and out.

I don't see this so much as a Doctor Who episode ( yes I know it is Doctor Who) I see it more as a cheeky poke at fans and scifi fandom. I think if you have a serious focus on the show you would hate this episode and you just won't be able to "get" it but as a non-Doctor Who/Doctor Who eppy I really liked it.

Could there have been more of the two main characters yes probably but then that is missing the point; I really see this as a gentle slight towards obsessive fans of the show and scifi in general. Why do I think RTD has had a lot of mail from upset/obsessive fans lately.

Having said that, I do want the next 3 episodes to be serious and pack a punch.
                Yeah, I mentioned this in another thread- whenever the writers try to do something different, it's almost always met with hostility, and yet these episodes are the ones which turn new people onto the show and are remembered for years to come.

Look at Wormhole X-Treme. Loads of people hated it when it first aired, and it was different from the usual stuff (more of a parody of the show). And yet, looking back, it's one of the most memorable episodes and one which people are still complaining about five years later.

Comment

Id just like to remind everyone that there already is an episode discussion section in this Doctor Who forum. Just a friendly reminder.

PS: Sorry, I used to be a moderator on a different forum so Im used to doing things like this.
                  Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

Whoops, hadn't noticed it wasn't in the official ep discussion thread. Now that it's reported, maybe it'll get folded back in where it belongs.

L&M is a love it or hate it kinda ep- folks seem very polarized on the issue. It's a very easy episode to hate, I'll admit, but I found it more entertaining than Idiot's Lantern, which is still the worst ep in my book. IL took itself too seriously whereas L&M reveled in its utter silliness. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It didn't for a lot of people, but it did for me. And I just love Elton.

Comment

I loved the episode. So it wasn't classic Doctor Who, but it was fun and quirky and had great music. I've watched it 3 times since the weekend and still have fun with it.

And just for information, Tennant and Piper didn't get a week off - they were busy filming another episode at the same time as this one was being filmed, and had to be rushed over to this set to do their sections of this episode. So, if anything, they were actually working harder than usual!

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                        Oh dear. Please don't throw cabbages at me but -

:: gulp ::

- I liked it.

I thought Elton was really lovely. I liked the little gang of friends, and the way Elton described each of them he made them feel real pretty much before we'd met them. I found the format of the show, especially the narration, very un-who; I didn't really mind. Odd, because I loathed Citizen Joe, which was also a look at the Heroes through the eyes of some random chap the Heroes never knew or never thought about. But Elton was just so nice.

And I know the humour was a bit juvenile, but it was funny and juvenile. They're not mutually exclusive, I think. LOL at the 'infiltration' of poor Jackie.
                        Thank you, I thought it was just me. The only other thing I've seen Marc Warren in was Band of Brothers, but he was damned good in this.

I thought it was really neat that they mentioned the "Bad Wolf virus", one of the few well-done retcons I've ever seen.
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I actually liked it. It wasn't quite Doctor Who and I wouldn't be much interested in LINDA the spin-off, but I did like it. Certainly better than The Other Guys, if not quite to the standard of Jose Chung's.

The face in the slab was...iffy. When her voice first came on I thought she was going to turn out to have become part of him, but I don't know if that would have been any better.
                          Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                          - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

I thought it was going to be a robot.
                            Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

It was too cheesy really, that was what the problem was,

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

The ep was crap
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X