No announcement yet.

The Impossible Planet (2808/208)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They only didn't fire to build up the cliffhanger. I am glad to see they moved to P90's, though. As the directors of Stargate found years ago, the downward ejection of the shells opens up tons more possibilities in blocking the scene.
    "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
    BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BC - 303
      one critisim of this episode, is that they couldnt afford bullets, there was no firing at all, just waving the gun (p-90) around.
      Judging from the preview for next week, I doubt that's the case.
      Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

I loved this episode, definately one of my favorities. Like everyone else I got a Firefly vibe from the music and I did think the whole thing with Satan was very Stargatey. The only thing that I didn't like was the evil laughter at the ned, it seemed a bit cheesy to me.

Am I the only one who thinks that with that amount of suspense leading up to what is in the pit, whatever in there will just feel anticlimatic, especially if it looks like the alien who appeared on the screen earlier in the episode.

Comment

Possibley, but i hope not.

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

[mod snip] let me chime in with my thoughts;

This was probably the best episode I've seen of the new series. It is smarter and better acted then that terrible Cyberman episode (Delete!!), and the ending made me scream for more! I just wanted to seen Satan himself after that tease we got in the hollographic projector thingy.

A couple of things;

1) Ok, destroy the sonic screwdriver already. The Doctor points that thing at anything that looks hostial. Enough is enough.

2) How is it an Earthquake when they are not on Earth?

3) Why did they have to kill off the hot looking girl first? Man, that really gets my goat!

4) Is it me, or does Zach look like 5 time, 5 time, 5 time, 5 time, 5 time WCW World Champion Booker T? (CAN WE DRILL THAT??! SUUUUCCKKKKKAAAA!!)

5) That quick shot of Satan in that holographic machine was a hell of a tease. Made me really want more!

6) "BEAUTIFUL!" Was wondering how they were going to work that in...

7) The plot reminds me of that Exorcist prequal that Renny Harlan made a couple of years back where they find that church burried in the sand and it was put there to keep Satan from coming out. The story is rather simular. I don't think however that the Doctor will yell, "The power of Christ commands you!"

8) Very happy there were no Torchwood referances. They are starting to become a bit overstated.

9) The Doctor gets a mortgage? Now there's a sitcom I wouldn't mind seeing!

10) The Oood are really cool. Wouldn't mind seeing them in future episodes.

11) I never thought that a guy with wierd, fake looking sharpy writing on him could look so scary. Good job with him, and the actor for making it convincing.

All in all, I was very happy to be a Who fan with this one. Good to see some old fashioned Doctor Who monsters in an episode! No school like the Old School!
            Last edited by Madeleine; 05 June 2006, 09:09 PM.
            My favorite Doctor Who websites;

Each episode in amazing detailed notes
            Build a Dalek
            Build a TARDIS
            Dedicated to Pamela Nash, the woman who caused a ton of Who episodes to be missing
            The Police Box Website

KNOW YOUR ROLE, AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!

Comment

Originally posted by Darkseid
              4) Is it me, or does Zach look like 5 time, 5 time, 5 time, 5 time, 5 time WCW World Champion Booker T? (CAN WE DRILL THAT??! SUUUUCCKKKKKAAAA!!)
              I thought he looked like Rocco from Casanova... oh, wait... he WAS Rocco from Casanova.
              "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
              "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
              BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

"earth" is a generic term meaning "ground". Thus, "earthquake" can be applied to any planet/planetlike object that has a surface.

The team said the planet didn't have a name (or not one they used) so it's a bit hard to have an "unnamed planetquake" and it's too much of a mouthful.

If the team is from Earth, then knowing Earthlings they'd be inclined to say that any groundshake was an earthquake by simple default: it's the term they're most used to.

You also have to make some concessions for the audience. "Earthquake" is the term they're most likely to know, too, and it's immediately identifiable.

But does any of that REALLY matter?

The music- Ravel's Bolero, anyway- actually reminded me of 2001: A Space Odyssey. But I haven't seen Firefly. *shrug*

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                  "earth" is a generic term meaning "ground". Thus, "earthquake" can be applied to any planet/planetlike object that has a surface.

The team said the planet didn't have a name (or not one they used) so it's a bit hard to have an "unnamed planetquake" and it's too much of a mouthful.

If the team is from Earth, then knowing Earthlings they'd be inclined to say that any groundshake was an earthquake by simple default: it's the term they're most used to.

You also have to make some concessions for the audience. "Earthquake" is the term they're most likely to know, too, and it's immediately identifiable.

But does any of that REALLY matter?

The music- Ravel's Bolero, anyway- actually reminded me of 2001: A Space Odyssey. But I haven't seen Firefly. *shrug*

I think for any male my age, Ravel's Bolero will always bring "10" to mind. Many a young man stared at Bo Derek in the ads for that film.
                  BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

From Dictionary.com

earth·quake ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ûrthkwk)
                    n.
                    A sudden movement of the earth's crust caused by the release of stress accumulated along geologic faults or by volcanic activity. Also called seism, temblor.

Build a Dalek
                    Build a TARDIS
                    Dedicated to Pamela Nash, the woman who caused a ton of Who episodes to be missing
                    The Police Box Website

Comment

If you want to be obnoxious about it, fine. I'm not going to waste my time continuing an asinine, meaningless argument over semantics.

The ep was good. Gave me some unsettling and fortunately unremembered dreams. It's gonna be a long wait for the conclusion. *sigh*

I still say there has to be more to the Ood than just being the puppets of the Beast in the Pit.

D'you think the planet falling into the black hole is meant to be some kind of failsafe in case the Beast escapes? Like... he might get out of the pit, but he's still gonna get sucked into an even more inescapable pit? The Doctor did say that while some black holes open onto something else, this one didn't.

Comment

If you want to be obnoxious about it, fine. I'm not going to waste my time continuing an asinine, meaningless argument over semantics.
                        I am the King of Obnoxiousness. Ask my wife. Ask my ex-wife...

The ep was good.
                        Yes, for the first time all the people who gush and jump up and down over every new episode of Who, call it 'Fantastic' when clearly it wasn't, were actually right about this episode. I actually felt for the first time I was watching an episode of what could have been classic Who.

D'you think the planet falling into the black hole is meant to be some kind of failsafe in case the Beast escapes? Like... he might get out of the pit, but he's still gonna get sucked into an even more inescapable pit?
                        That's the best specuation I have heard anyone say on three Doctor Who message boards that I post on. Although, this black hole did at one point swallow the planet and then 'spit it out' if you belive the local legend. I have a feeling that the beast will somehow end up in the blackhole since we know it leads no ware.....and maybe we will see it again in the future if the beast is powerful enough...

Build a Dalek
                        Build a TARDIS
                        The Police Box Website

Comment

Hmm, anyway...

Originally posted by ShadowMatt
                          I just thought some of the incidental music was Firefly-ish, like when the girl *who actually reminded me of Kaylee* got sucked towards the black hole. Then again it is probably all just a coincidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat
                            I just thought some of the incidental music was Firefly-ish, like when the girl *who actually reminded me of Kaylee* got sucked towards the black hole. Then again it is probably all just a coincidence.
                            *shrug* Dunno, you aren't the only one who got Firefly vibes, but since I've never seen the show (except for a few bits and pieces) I can't exactly recognize it in other places, can I? Sometimes I think I should get the DVDs and watch the show, but then I remember that I've already seen enough to know it isn't my kinda thing. Ah well.

I do like Who, so I'm not totally hopeless.

Comment

Whoever said that the guy looked like Bill Nighy was spot on. I saw the trailer and was whooting because I was expecting an all star cast.

As for Bolero, all I can think of is figure skaters.
                              Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks that with that amount of suspense leading up to what is in the pit, whatever in there will just feel anticlimatic, especially if it looks like the alien who appeared on the screen earlier in the episode.
                                Don't look if you don't want to know:

www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho

also:

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/i77/tomt25/Image1.jpg

(note the scale on that last one)

And the comments on production values don't sound right to me. A lot more money is spent on DW than US SF series and it *shows*. I can't understand how anyone would think the production values on something like SG-1 were better.

Comment

Working...
                                X