No announcement yet.

The Girl In The Fireplace (2804/204)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was the most romantic Who episode I've ever seen. (Romantic in the sense of sweepingly emotional and epic, rather than in the smoochy sense). The seven-year-old girl being saved by a man who tells her it's a dream, then later she meets him again and again; a 'lonely angel' who watches over her; and then she goes to her deathbed with faith that he'd come back for her, and he didn't, and he knows of her faith in him anyway. Beautiful.

Liked Mickey. He's slow, that one, but it doesn't mean he never gets there. It took him a long time to manage what Rose managed in twenty seconds, and decide he wanted ot go in with the Doctor, but now it's nice to see him so open to it all. And yet still a little bit dim, all that rolling about with the freeze thing . Nice to see DT's Doctor still teases him, but it's in a *nice* way. I always thought CE was a bit too nasty to Mickey, it used to seem like the 'battle of wits with an unarmed man' scenario (thought I admit it was very funny). Rose seems to have got over her initial irritation at mickey coming along. Good.

I liked the reveal at the end too, with the name of the ship.

Best line: "I'll need money. Always been a bit vague about money. How do you get money?"

Madeleine

Comment

You have to hand it to the orchestra. The music in this was excellent it captured the mood really well.
      Tappity-tap. Tappity-tap.
      LOVE HIM-> DT
      ~Proud Member of the Ship Ship Hooray Special Ops Team~

Comment

^ Completely agree with you about the music...it was brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
          I suppose what I was trying to say was that people can take what they want from the episode. If they want to see romance they can, if they don't want to they can as well.
          Y-e-s got that.

I don't get how anyone can see this episode as anything more than just a bit of fun, I can't believe how many people said they cried I laughed it was a funny episode. What was so teary about it anyway?

Originally posted by Easter Lily
          Well, apparently the weekly commentary suggests that it was really just a dance.
          His singing "I could have danced all night" and his mention that the French do give good parties gave me the impression that there wasn't any "hanky panky".
          As for what TPTB say about the ep, well they would say that wouldn't they because otherwise there would be a revolt. Doesn't mean they weren't going for that impression. I mean why use those words in particular? It was a nod and a wink.

Comment

Didn't notice the music at all. I'll look out for it when I watch it again though

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
              Y-e-s got that.

I don't get how anyone can see this episode as anything more than just a bit of fun, I can't believe how many people said they cried I laughed it was a funny episode. What was so teary about it anyway?
              I didn't tear up ... but I can see why someone would have... Probably when he found out that Reinette had passed on and also when the Doctor was reading the letter at the end. *shrugs* To each their own. Bits of it was funny but overall I thought it was more whimsical than outright "haha" funny.

As for what TPTB say about the ep, well they would say that wouldn't they because otherwise there would be a revolt. Doesn't mean they weren't going for that impression. I mean why use those words in particular? It was a nod and a wink.
              There is already a revolt anyway... denial or not...
              sigpic
              "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

This was a fairly desent episode, not great but i can see why it acheived a nomination last night, i hop it gets even better and if next week is anything to go by im sure it will
                For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Yeah, th music wass excellent, particulaly the slow piano pieces.

I just found the ending sad because he said he's be right back, so she waited the rest of her life for him and he never came. It's like that Futurama episode with Fry's dog from the past- the ending of that is really sad too. If you've seen it, you'll know what I mean.

But the ending really bugged me too- I mean, the Doctor was on the 'slow path' for maybe a few hours, which he found out when he went back was 5 and a half hours of the ships time, but the 10 seconds he spent on the ship before going back translated into 6 or 7 years.

Comment

Originally posted by BC - 303
                    it wasnt brilliant, that was my though at first, but then i read this and i realised, it WAS brilliant. The mechanical men were great, not scary 4 me, but brilliant.
                    David T was exelent as per usual.
                    I liked the down play of Rose, not that i dont like rose, just shes TO main a charactor if you know what i mean.
                    I liked Mickey, and i hope he stays for a while. The ice guns were great.
                    i didnt get it all at first, but after a while i did.
                    moral of this stort: - Never get AI clockwork robots
                    Fire Extinguisher!

Anyway... personally, if I'd have been the doc... I'd have sent Mickey through on the white horse, and then sent the TARDIS along afterwards as from the moment the time link is severed, theyre not part of events and can thus arrive and rescue Mickey.

I do have the issue that there were no friking Musketeers. They didnt have to even be the Three we all know and love, but seriously, it felt odd that there was no royal defence. The musketeers should have been in there defending their King. And frankly, the robots were not made for combat, a team of soldiers could have easily brought them down.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

After seeing the clips, I was expecting to hate this episode. Turned out that I enjoyed it, but only for different reasons then everyone else.

First off, we need to understand that this episode was nothing more or less then a love story. This wasn't an episode about The Doctor fighting androids (if it was, it was very anti-climactic), it was an episode about this woman falling in love with the Doctor and the Doctor finding a special relationship with her (I hardly think he loved her, didn't know her or think about her enough)

As it stands, it's not a secret that I do't care for the thought of the Doctor romantically linked to anyone. I prefer the asexual Doctor of yestur-year. Why? To me, the doctor seemed like someone who was once in love. In love with someone that he dedicated his life to her. Then, one day, he lost her, and he has been alone ever since. One reason why he keeps on his adventures, so that he doesn't just sit around and think of the one woman that ment more to him then anything.

So the thought of him falling for anyone else is, so, well, human....common....mundane.

Either way, here are some thoughts about this episode;

1) The Doc relise too much on his sonic screwdriver. Everytime I turn around he is pointing it at something and using it. So far, he has used it for, screwing/unscrewing, tricorder, lighter, remote control, etc. Pretty soon he will use it as a toaster. rectal themometer, radio, vibrator, camera, tape dispencer etc. Whatever happened to relying on his whits? I think the writers are using too much as a cruch.

2) Those robots were sweet! Were those inner-head workings CGI or real? Anyone know??

3) Sophia Myles was fantastic! I thougt her and Tennent were wonderful together, then I found out she is really Tennet's girlfriend. Guess it explains a lot.

4) I don't want to hear anyone to liked their kiss to complain about The Doctor's kiss with Grace Holloway. (personally, I hate both...)

5) I know the TARDIS translates for everyone, but could they at least tried to fake french accents?

6) Since when did the Doctor carry sunglasses? He hasn't left England practically since regeneration, and from what I understand it is cold and damp there (unless you watch the Christmas Invasion. In that one, even though it is Christmas, people ware shorts and sandles....)

7) Good too see that finally someone is travelling with the Doctor who isn't whiter then Conan O'Brian. Good job Mickey for bringing Doctor Who into the 1980s.

8) How is it androids don't have the spare parts fix a ship, but can come up with amazing costumes? Those were pretty cool looking...

9) What the hell are they doing a vulcan-mindmeld for? I mean, if the Doctor wants to know something about someone, why doesn't he do it every week? Come on guys, leave that to a different show and come up with your own gimmicks.

10) I was sad when the show was over, mostly for the Doctor who was left to believe that he let somone who cared for him down in a way that he shouldn't have, but he didn't have a choice nor did he intend to. Next week's episode, which everyone is more excited about then Christmas, didn't look too thrilling to me in the trailer. But, we'll see.......
                      My favorite Doctor Who websites;

Each episode in amazing detailed notes
                      Build a Dalek
                      Build a TARDIS
                      Dedicated to Pamela Nash, the woman who caused a ton of Who episodes to be missing
                      The Police Box Website

KNOW YOUR ROLE, AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
                        Anyway... personally, if I'd have been the doc... I'd have sent Mickey through on the white horse, and then sent the TARDIS along afterwards as from the moment the time link is severed, theyre not part of events and can thus arrive and rescue Mickey.
                        Well yah...and if I was in command of the Enterprise I'd never send all the senior officers on the same away team...lol

I understand it was an attempt at drama...ooo...will the doctor be trapped?? ooo...

but since we know he won't...it wasn't really a big dramatic event.
                        if anything, this ending...the whole moving the fireplace thing...really seemed a bit cheesier to me than the drug shower at the end of New Earth.

Doesn't take much away from the ep...still thought it was great...just one of two things that really bothered me.
                        Thanks!
                        Jordan

my page
                        My LJ
                        From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Ok my turn. I've only just got around to watching it

I loved every minute Sophia Myles was brilliant in this (Lucky Cow got to snog DT on AND off screen) it wasn't the best episode ever but it still kept me enthralled. Re: Madam de Pompadour and the Doctor, she's a Courtisan, trained to be someone's mistress, she was probably acting on instinct, the Doctor is a powerful man who can protect her and provide her with what she needs, say no more.. I loved the Doctor Drunk, DT does this really well. Fav Quote: I've just snogged Madam de Pompadour

I still say it's brilliant and the bit at the end with Louis and the Doctor, Louis knowing that his mistress prefered another man and the Doctor knowing she was gone and he couldn't mess with time to bring her back. Even Mickey taking Rose away to let the Doctor grieve was a stroke of genius.

This ep didn't just bring a lump to the throat this bought tears.

Comment

I didn't enjoy this episode as much as the others in this season, although it was a good episode. I liked the mix of historical and sci-fi. There were some good one-liners too.

"Mickey, what is pre-revolutionary France doing on a spaceship?!? Get some perspective!"

Spoiler:
                            Cybermen! Cybermen! Cybermen! Woo!

Comment

[QUOTE=Darkseid]9) What the hell are they doing a vulcan-mindmeld for? I mean, if the Doctor wants to know something about someone, why doesn't he do it every week? Come on guys, leave that to a different show and come up with your own gimmicks.
                              QUOTE]

It's been done before, I haven't seen much classic Who so I don't know how often its been used but he had it in the "Three Doctors"

Comment

Originally posted by Darkseid
                                After seeing the clips, I was expecting to hate this episode. Turned out that I enjoyed it, but only for different reasons then everyone else.

First off, we need to understand that this episode was nothing more or less then a love story. This wasn't an episode about The Doctor fighting androids (if it was, it was very anti-climactic), it was an episode about this woman falling in love with the Doctor and the Doctor finding a special relationship with her (I hardly think he loved her, didn't know her or think about her enough)

As it stands, it's not a secret that I do't care for the thought of the Doctor romantically linked to anyone. I prefer the asexual Doctor of yestur-year. Why? To me, the doctor seemed like someone who was once in love. In love with someone that he dedicated his life to her. Then, one day, he lost her, and he has been alone ever since. One reason why he keeps on his adventures, so that he doesn't just sit around and think of the one woman that ment more to him then anything.

So the thought of him falling for anyone else is, so, well, human....common....mundane.

Either way, here are some thoughts about this episode;

1) The Doc relise too much on his sonic screwdriver. Everytime I turn around he is pointing it at something and using it. So far, he has used it for, screwing/unscrewing, tricorder, lighter, remote control, etc. Pretty soon he will use it as a toaster. rectal themometer, radio, vibrator, camera, tape dispencer etc. Whatever happened to relying on his whits? I think the writers are using too much as a cruch.

2) Those robots were sweet! Were those inner-head workings CGI or real? Anyone know??

3) Sophia Myles was fantastic! I thougt her and Tennent were wonderful together, then I found out she is really Tennet's girlfriend. Guess it explains a lot.

4) I don't want to hear anyone to liked their kiss to complain about The Doctor's kiss with Grace Holloway. (personally, I hate both...)

5) I know the TARDIS translates for everyone, but could they at least tried to fake french accents?

6) Since when did the Doctor carry sunglasses? He hasn't left England practically since regeneration, and from what I understand it is cold and damp there (unless you watch the Christmas Invasion. In that one, even though it is Christmas, people ware shorts and sandles....)

7) Good too see that finally someone is travelling with the Doctor who isn't whiter then Conan O'Brian. Good job Mickey for bringing Doctor Who into the 1980s.

8) How is it androids don't have the spare parts fix a ship, but can come up with amazing costumes? Those were pretty cool looking...

9) What the hell are they doing a vulcan-mindmeld for? I mean, if the Doctor wants to know something about someone, why doesn't he do it every week? Come on guys, leave that to a different show and come up with your own gimmicks.

10) I was sad when the show was over, mostly for the Doctor who was left to believe that he let somone who cared for him down in a way that he shouldn't have, but he didn't have a choice nor did he intend to. Next week's episode, which everyone is more excited about then Christmas, didn't look too thrilling to me in the trailer. But, we'll see.......
                                Regarding your "vulcan mind meld" Doctor Who had it long before Trek did. Gallifreyans, or at least Time Lords are capable of communicating psychically and exploring other indiviudal's minds.

The cybermen? It's a classic Who fan's dream come true! If you cant understand the excitement, Im betting you never watched the old series, the Cybermen are as big as the daleks.

Im just thankful the cybermen didnt end up gold this time.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X