No announcement yet.

'Defiance' (Rockne S. O'Bannon/Syfy) -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm enjoying this show so far, I'm really glad it's getting a second season.
    sigpic

Comment

It was great to see a familar face, albeit playing a bit part, in this weeks episode.
      I admit to having to do a double take when I realised who it was. I won't say who, just in case there are some who read this who haven't seen the episode.

I'm developing a soft spot for Kenya and Irisa.
      "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
      Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
      Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
      Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
      I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
      To thy own self... Be true
      May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
        It was great to see a familar face, albeit playing a bit part, in this weeks episode.
        I admit to having to do a double take when I realised who it was. I won't say who, just in case there are some who read this who haven't seen the episode.

I'm developing a soft spot for Kenya and Irisa.
        I really like Irisa, I don't like Kenya.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sp!der View Post
          I agree with you there. I can do without Kenya.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyBoyFanGirl View Post
            I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyBoyFanGirl View Post
              Originally posted by hedwig View Post
              I agree.
              I believe Kenya has a pivotal role to play in this series.

When you see her with Nolan, outside of "physical chemistry" they have, is there really that much going on between them? When we see Nolan with Amanda there's a lot more happening between these characters (or at least there's supposed to be a lot more happening, as I interpret what the writers/directors are trying to do).

How I see things developing:
              Spoiler:
              Nolan and Kenya will continue their relationship for several more episodes. All the while, he and Amanda will continue to do the moth/flame dance, getting closer and moving away.

Eventually, things will come to a head, and the sisters will have a falling out, with Nolan as a significant part of the dispute. How it will end is Kenya resolving her differences with Amanda and then dying heroically/tragically, leaving Nolan and Amanda to explore their true feelings for one another.

This show sometimes reminds me of an old west movie from the 50's. By the end of the film, the "bad girl" (usually the one with the dark hair) dies, having redeemed herself or just leaves town, leaving the hero free to ride off into the sunset with the "good girl" (usually the blonde). Look at "High Noon" (1952) as an example.

Okay, I'm funning you all on, just a bit, sorta' kinda. But it will be interesting to see how that triangle plays out.

regards,
              G.
              Go for Marty...

Comment

With the show dipping below 2 million live viewers it is heading towards Sanctuary ratings at the same time in their runs.

In general the reviews have been mediocre. The most common words I see in them are "cliché" and "confusing" and "cheesy effects". When reviewers constantly refer to the fact that the show is welcome because of the lack of scifi on tv they are really saying if you're not a scifi fan it probably won't appeal to you.

Julie Benz. I love you. I really do. You need to go find your agent and shoot him dead. You are horribly miscast.

Perhaps the most bizarre thing about the show and and internet forums is how people are screaming "spoiler" if you fill them in on the backstory as it appears on Syfy's website. Well, it turns out the show is not going to explain the backstory in any meaningful way. Wonder how the war started? You aren't going to find out unless you read it on the web. Want to know what they are mining and how it came to be? Sorry, no explanation from the show. Its on the web. Why did the Votan come here and how did they do it? Apparently that's not part of the show. Read it on the web.

When you go into a scifi themed website and read question after question by scifi fans who don't understand the shows backstory and are confused it just hits you how the show is not, for want of a better term, accessible.

Lots of action and violence and cheesey special effects are what the Syfy Saturday movies are all about. So I guess there is an audience for this show. But is not a "hit" for Syfy or scifi fans. What it is, for scifi fans, is "better than no scifi"

Comment

I really hope this show doesn't get cancelled, we finally have some good money behind a sci-fi series and we need this as a genre...so many great sci-fi series have failed...way 2 many

Comment

Originally posted by techs View Post
                    With the show dipping below 2 million live viewers it is heading towards Sanctuary ratings at the same time in their runs.

In general the reviews have been mediocre. The most common words I see in them are "cliché" and "confusing" and "cheesy effects". When reviewers constantly refer to the fact that the show is welcome because of the lack of scifi on tv they are really saying if you're not a scifi fan it probably won't appeal to you.

Julie Benz. I love you. I really do. You need to go find your agent and shoot him dead. You are horribly miscast.

Perhaps the most bizarre thing about the show and and internet forums is how people are screaming "spoiler" if you fill them in on the backstory as it appears on Syfy's website. Well, it turns out the show is not going to explain the backstory in any meaningful way. Wonder how the war started? You aren't going to find out unless you read it on the web. Want to know what they are mining and how it came to be? Sorry, no explanation from the show. Its on the web. Why did the Votan come here and how did they do it? Apparently that's not part of the show. Read it on the web.

When you go into a scifi themed website and read question after question by scifi fans who don't understand the shows backstory and are confused it just hits you how the show is not, for want of a better term, accessible.

Lots of action and violence and cheesey special effects are what the Syfy Saturday movies are all about. So I guess there is an audience for this show. But is not a "hit" for Syfy or scifi fans. What it is, for scifi fans, is "better than no scifi"
                    You pointed one detail that I really don't like about the show. The lack of world building. The show is too small. If I divide a sci fi show into aspects that I enjoy, it'd be like this:

• With Off Screen InfoSoft Sci Fi: It's an immigrant story and a post war story wrapped into one (Pretty good premise).
                      Hard Sci Fi: Neat gadgets, terraforming, technology, mining new resources for energy as a result of terraforming, Alien Exodus because of an exploding star- very cool.
                      Emotional stuff: ...kinda scattered and lost in the ensemble cast style.
                    • Narrative: Rich history, amazing concepts, Wild West, but nothing happens after the pilot. (Nothing BIG or world changing).

?

?With on Screen Info Only

• Soft Sci Fi: Um....?
                      Hard Sci Fi: Bunch of new weird lookin' stuff
                      Emotional Stuff: Same as above
                    • Narrative: Narrative? What Narrative?

In other words, there is little to no world building. There's no reason why these characters matter in the big picture. The issues that could be explored are not being explored (soft sci fi) beyond cliches and everything is just inexplicable. I like the show, but it's days are numbered unless that starts to change.
                    By Nolamom
                    sigpic

Comment

Some bad news:
                      http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...h-layoffs.aspx

It's sad to hear people losing their jobs. On the other hand, I hope this won't affect content development and support for the MMO, esp. since the game feels like it could do with a lot more polish.
                      This was also kinda surprising, esp. after recent news saying that the game has sold over a million copies: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/02/de...n-ark-hunters/
                      Then again, some publishers have sales expectations that may be too high, like Square Enix's 5-6 million units for Tomb Raider (but selling under 4 million)...so that may have been the case here, or it's part of that development cycle where the developer, having the core of its game finished, reduces staff. But 80%? *shrugs*
                      sigpic

Comment

Very good news on the Season 2 renewal.
                        sigpic
                        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                        "...phu...ah..."
                        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                          Very good news on the Season 2 renewal.
                          The show needs a major reworking. Maybe they should find a way to get to an undamaged Ark and try the whole thing in space.

The show is far to grim. I'd kill for some smark alecky jokes. As pointed out, why are they living in squalor? Wouldn't construction of buildings, sidewalks, etc been some of the things they should be doing?

Take away the rubber masks and replace Hellbugs with wolves and bears, etc and ask yourself, would I be watching this show.

Comment

Well I'm loving Defiance! Glad to hear it has a season 2 renewal! I very much hope it stays on the air, it's hard to find something sci-fi and good like this that's still running (IMO)
                            Just because something is unknown, does not necessarily mean that it needs to be feared. Trust yourself, and the rest will unfold. ~Teyla Emmagen~

Comment

Originally posted by techs View Post
                              The show needs a major reworking. Maybe they should find a way to get to an undamaged Ark and try the whole thing in space.
                              That would just be a different show, they are telling an immigrant drama, not a space show.

The show is far to grim. I'd kill for some smark alecky jokes. As pointed out, why are they living in squalor? Wouldn't construction of buildings, sidewalks, etc been some of the things they should be doing?
                              They are still getting used to the new world, plus your only seeing the town of Defiance. New York is more like what you are talking about.

Take away the rubber masks and replace Hellbugs with wolves and bears, etc and ask yourself, would I be watching this show.
                              Probably, but thats a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                                That would just be a different show, they are telling an immigrant drama, not a space show.
                                Of which very little of it has been done

I like the show, but I fear that at its current rate I'll lose interest just like I lost interest to Alphas. They need to start moving the main story arch and explain the history on screen and actually show that drama. I feel that it isn't really doing that right now.
                                By Nolamom
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X