No announcement yet.

The Caprica speculation/discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

William Adama's father was named Joseph. It was engraved on the lighter he gives Lee before they destroy the Cylon mining base.
    Time is an illusion... Lunchtime, doubly so.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempis View Post
      William Adama's father was named Joseph. It was engraved on the lighter he gives Lee before they destroy the Cylon mining base.
      Joseph.....frak should have remembered that. *makes note to rewatch BSG to brush up on trivia*

Comment

It might be another year till we actually get Caprica (or any other BSG spinoff) on screen, but since the first draft of scripts arrived at the SCI FI network last week, I thought it'd be fun to get some discussion / speculation going. For those who don't know, Caprica is the proposed name for a BSG prequel that's "a family drama and a political drama about corporations and politics. It's almost [more] like a sci-fi soap than it is an action-adventure series." According to Ron Moore, the story "centers around two families, one of whom owns an enormous corporation, ala Microsoft, and it builds the first Cylons; then the other family is Adama's father, who's a lawyer at the time and starts to become an opponent of what they're trying to do."

More details are at http://www.nypost.com/seven/10302006...don_kaplan.htm.

Previously from http://www.scifi.com/sfw/interviews/sfw13789.html
        Spoiler:
        How will Caprica differ from Battlestar?
        Moore: Caprica is set 50 years before Battlestar Galactica. It's the story of the creation of the Cylons. And it's a very different format than Galactica. It's not a war show; it's not even a space show or an action-adventure show. It's a family drama and a political drama about corporations and politics. It's almost [more] like a sci-fi soap than it is an action-adventure series. And again, we're trying to do something different within the genre and give a different flavor to the material than Battlestar Galactica does. [The story] centers around two families, one of whom owns an enormous corporation, ala Microsoft, and it builds the first Cylons; then the other family is Adama's father, who's a lawyer at the time and starts to become an opponent of what they're trying to do.

Doing a prequel concurrent with the original series is unheard of. What made you decide to go this route?
        Moore: David [Eick] and I have been kicking around ideas for a spinoff for a while. We talked about all the different possibilities. Do another Battlestar, do the first Cylon war, etc. We started talking about a prequel as a concept, as something that we were interested in, but we hadn't really worked out a storyline. We'd had a couple of preliminary talks with the studio and the network about it. And then separately, Remi Aubuchon came in to the studio to pitch a series of his own that had a lot of similar themes and a lot of similar ideas to what we were considering for Galactica. So the studio called us and said, "Why don't the three of you get in a room and see if there's something there?" So we sat down, and we all got along really well, and the idea started to really come together.

While having Stargate: SG-1 and Atlantis concurrently was a success, it definitely caused some strain on TPTB to produce quality, consistent episodes for both shows week after week. What do people think? Can BSG pull this off? What will or should its spinoff be about?
        Last edited by lostinspace; 05 November 2006, 04:28 AM.
        Lost In Space - wherever I am is where I'm supposed to be (aka my geek blog)

Thanks to ileliberte for permission to share her amazing art

Comment

I like Caprica.
          I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
          Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Well sounds interesting...
            But a prequel about the first cylon war would also be very nice... Don't you think?
            "Only puny secrets need protection. Big discoveries are protected by public incredulity." (Marshall McCluhan)

Comment

Originally posted by /\NUBIS View Post
              Well sounds interesting...
              But a prequel about the first cylon war would also be very nice... Don't you think?
              dude..... shrink your sig....

Comment

Originally posted by /\NUBIS View Post
                Well sounds interesting... But a prequel about the first cylon war would also be very nice... Don't you think?
                It would be nice - maybe they'll neatly tie in the end of Caprica to the beginning of the first Cylon war? I wouldn't be surprised though if TPTB had thought about this but decided that more space action at this time would be too similar to BSG, not to mention the challenge in coming up with suspense/stories with a known ending (see what happened to Star Wars?!)

Comment

I started a thread titled Caprica discussion and apprecition thread awhile back, but it was combined with an existing thread titled the same. As I am sure this one will be as well.
                  the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                  Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
                    I started a thread titled Caprica discussion and apprecition thread awhile back, but it was combined with an existing thread titled the same. As I am sure this one will be as well.
                    Thanks, it's hard to keep track of these things! I actually did a search for "Caprica" and "spin-off" but didn't see anything like it. Ah well, we'll let the mods figure this out--!

Comment

Originally posted by The Engineer View Post
                      The big question is: WHEN?
                      that's what i would like to know if there are still htining about making it at all.
                      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by The Engineer View Post
                        The big question is: WHEN?
                        Last I heard, this show is a no go.
                        The ratings for the original series have been too poor to support a spin-off series.
                        Let it be known for all times there were once two planets in this system. The planet Lister made great television shows. The planet Liber made crap
                        They had to fake the ratings
                        They had to fake the ratings.
                        Let it be known for all times there were once...

Comment

Time for this thread to rise from the ashes

Reposted from another thread:
                          Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                          I love the fifties-ish look that they're going for. Yay for hats!

Must say I am very looking forward to this.

Comment

More pics courtesy of the 13th Colony!

Sounds yummy!

Sweet logo- text looks very Alias, though the article said that this logo probably isn't final.

Comment

interesting they are going for a 50's look

this show will hopefully be another reason for me to keep my tv outside of playing video games~

Comment

According to The Watcher, SCI-FI have ordered two more scripts for Caprica! Excellent.

More details here. Also it sounds like there will only be one BSG tv movie for now.

Comment

Working...
                                X