No announcement yet.

Occupation/Precipice (301-302)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a little out of sorts and hope I remember to list everything I wanted to comment about... so I guess I'll start with issues and than move onto characters.

The Politics

1) Suicide bombing. It's hardly a new target and hardly limited to the kind of conflict we are facing today. It is classically the tactic of a people with nothing else to lose. There are cases of it in the Jewish uprising of the Warsaw Ghetto. It's always been something that makes me feel quezy. Human life is sacred. Killing is a sin. Killing innocents is a sin. Killing yourself is a sin. But were the people who died in suicide bombings inside police graduations or cylon prisons really innocent? They talked about innocents dying, but they didn't show them. Perhaps there is only so much even BSG is willing to go. As with real life though, i have trouble justifying the response of powerful countries with tanks and attack helicopters when faced with 16 year old girls who are willing to strap bombs to their chests.

After all, Duck was not an innocent. Duck was a soldier and he went into it with full understanding. I highly doubt Tigh gave him the speech about how he was going to see Nora in the fields of the gods... that's not his style. Tigh is blunt. Anyway, I knew that was coming way about epsiode eight or so of the webisodes.

2) The new caprica police are idiots. Not for the reasons that the chief said, but because they have to know that any job that requires you to wear a mask to go to work isn't likely one you will ever be proud of. Now what this says about Iraqi police now.... I'm not really sure. I'm an American. I don't believe in the war but I believe that many of them want to help their people. So if I don't hate them, or don't think they are idiots... should I be as judgemental of the New Caprica Police?

3) Force brings a bright future of peace. I think I feel very sorry for Caprica Six and Boomer... they mean well, but really were they ever going to succeed in building a peace based on the force of arms. I've been trying to think of a no-Iraq analogy for this all night, and the best I can come up with is Spanish colonial missionaries. They believed that they were coming to the Americas to Christianize and bring civilization, to help people. Now the implications of if the people needed civilization aside--I'm not about to defend colonialism--good and honest people did exist... but they came in boats full of conquesdors and men looking for their fortunes. Those good and honest and rightious men lead to death and destruction of those people they wanted to save. Boomer has the sweetest intent... and the most blood on her hands in the end of this I think.

The Characters

A) Gaeta surprised me, mostly because I've thought he was a cylon for a while, but I'm pretty sure he isn't now. I'm also pretty sure Jammer isn't... which blows out all my theories about secret cylons.

B) Lee... did you loose your faith in your father or your faith in Roslin? I think I loved you at your best in early season 2 when you stood for something. It feels to me like the writers threw you a bone for having the point about saving humanity.... but it didn't feel geniune to the character. I think they lost you.

C) Tigh... Tigh ... Tigh... I love to hate Tigh but I often understand him. He is inhuman here, but not so different to me than the biggest monsters that we make ourselves in to win a war. Who is worse, Tigh who can admit that he is a bad and evil man sending young men to die... or Roslin who can throw someone out an airlock with little remorse? Or do they need both to survive. Seems to me they both know they do.

D) Speaking of Roslin. I think the most powerful moment I've ever seen on television comes when she pulls that chair towards her with her feet and with the dignity that only Mary McDonnell can pull off just puts on her glasses. There is a powerful dignity to that character, a clarion voice and i'm surprised the Cylons haven't detained her before. After all... don't a lot of them remember her flushing them out airlocks? I would have liked to see cylon interaction with her. Does anyone else wonder if she's not going to end up becoming a semireligious figure again when the Cylons announce she's dead and she's seen lurking around the shadows?

On a second note... I want Mary McDonnell's handwriting. At least I think that was her handwriting. Failing that I want the prop assistant who wrote the pages handwriting.

E) Sharon. I've never much liked Sharon (as opposed to Boomer). I've always found her cold and creepy, but there was something warm and friendly about her now. I'd love to see how that relationship developed. Hopefully in a flashback episode.

F) Dee. For the first time since Home I haven't found you annoying Dee. Too bad the writers misplaced your personality sometime in the middle of the second season.

G) Ellen. I could have lived my entire life... several lifetimes... without the image of Ellen Tigh having sex with anyone. Really. I mean it. The idea squicks me... the visual .... ew....

Critism

Mr. Moore, you needed an editor. I'll be the first to admit that there is almost always a storyline going in BSG that I don't like. On DVDs I fast forward past them. In broadcast I stop paying attention. I know that you love and respect the actress... but the Starbuck storyline did not belong in this episode. It was misplaced and threw off the pacing of the entire episode. Maybe it could have been an episode to itself... but personally I think it's a bad storyline badly executed.

And speaking of pacing. I love Galactica. I love EJO. The Galactica storylines didn't belong in this episode either. This should have been about New Caprica. It would have been much better paced and the editing wouldn't have been shot to hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatusu
      [ I was glad to see Richard Hatch back at the end
      You know that was the 1st time I ever liked Zarek...those few minutes of him were good.
      Admiral Adama once had a bachelor party for Colonel Tigh. He ate the entire cake before Adama could tell him there was a stripper in it.

Comment

Originally posted by titans
        Helo=a real man!

Lee= a real fat ass!!
        oh so true

I was cheering when Adama told lee to get his fat ass out of there

(and realy did we need to see fatty ass lee in a towl bleh i cringed at that scene)

I enjoyed the episode quite a bit...and they better keep jake for the rest of the series now he can be a good puppy and bite cyclons legs off (except sharon...I like her and Helo would be sad)

Comment

this sounds really really awesome {Mod Snip}
          about Roslin and Baltar being cylons, not true and true at the same time they would have made the cylon-roslin and baltar from DNA samples and the actual Roslin and Baltar may or may not be still alive. And Kara having feelings for a Cylon? NEVER!! That just doesn't sound like Starbuck.

(Mod Insert - download discussion is prohibited)
          Last edited by TameFarrar; 06 October 2006, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
            I never liked Lee, so seeing him fat and piggy actually amuses me to no end. ...
            Now that's terrible. Think how badly his fans are feeling. So he eats when he'd frustrated. Now that he has something to do, he'll be fine.
            Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Originally posted by kharn the betrayer
              (and realy did we need to see fat ass lee in a towl bleh)
              That cracked me up. I was thinking, "HA! Bet his thunkers aren't so happy about THIS towel scene!"

and titans, I agree about Zarek. Maybe it was the fact that he was only in a 2-minute scene that made him tolerable.

Comment

Originally posted by kharn the betrayer
                oh so true

I was cheering when Adama told lee to get his fat ass out of there

(and realy did we need to see fat ass lee in a towl bleh)
                Yea...that wasn't pretty. I'm rather sure that Lee love fest thread will be taking a hit in postings.
                Admiral Adama once had a bachelor party for Colonel Tigh. He ate the entire cake before Adama could tell him there was a stripper in it.

Comment

and titans, I agree about Zarek. Maybe it was the fact that he was only in a 2-minute scene that made him tolerable.
                  I think it might have been that he finally wasn't this phoney wannabe bad guy but instead a rebelious leader.

Comment

Any body think those trucks they had the doomed insurgents in looked like something out of a world war II movie, definately not what I would expect the Cylons to drive around in? Kind of had a Holocost feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Arative
                      Starbuck was awesome, when she killed Leoben and then just sat down to eat dinner like nothing had happened, I thought maybe she had lost her mind or at least losing it. But I do believe she has some to the Stockholm syndome since she is starting to bond with Leoben. Not sure I like the whole Kasey angle, I think the Starbuck of the first season probably would have killed Kasey outright as just another toaster.
                      I believe Kara is faking her "concern" as it seemed clear to me that the girl getting hurt was too convenient. I think it's a ploy by the Cylon guy to tug at Kara's heartstrings.

Comment

actually, it was the rebellion in Holland that shaved the heads of their NAZI-loving women and in some cases actually killed the offspring of said affairs in the streets, literally tearing babies apart in crowds. truth be told, no one on this board can account for what a true occupation means, or what it does to man. I think the show is exploring an interesting side, drawing many similarities to current world events that makes one think about what truly happens when your life is at stake and possibly what thoughts the other side may have.

Fortunately, none of our prisoners have had their eyes pulled out in interrogation; in fact they eat and live better than people below our poverty line here in the U.S.

Always remember, of 4 planes, only one group of people fought back - once they knew what was coming. Air-terrorism was forever changed. As a frequent flyer you'd be surprised at how many people study each person walking down those eisles.

Comment

The show is getting too real for me. I've never liked the political element of BSG, but I could always tolerate it. Until now. This is supposed to be escapist entertainment, not some damn political soapbox. Keep it subtle or keep it off the show, I say.
                          I agree that tonight's show was a little too real, too gritty, too...uncomfortable, but there never has been, or will be anything subtle about this show. It hits you over the head with intense.
                          Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Originally posted by Hatusu
                            Now that's terrible. Think how badly his fans are feeling.
                            I would hope that his fans retain enough rationality to know that it's only a fat suit and that eventually the flab will go away. I would also hope that they'd have enough of a sense of humor to appreciate the irony of the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by titans
                              Well...now you got a whole lot more Lee to love...a WHOLE lot!
                              lol apparently thats not goning to last too much longer the fatty tubness is supposedly only supposed to last until the 4th episode

Comment

I disagree with all of you when it comes to Baltar.

He did the right thing by signing that paper, because, if he didn't sign it, the Cylons would have just killed him, and replaced him with someone that would sign it. Therefore, his death would be in vain. Gaius could very well be the most troubled person in the series. Think about it. He is tormented by the image of a woman he once loved, that didn't turn out to be a woman at all. He is not the best candidate for President, because he is so conflicted. But he does try to do what is best for humanity.

Comment

Working...
                                X