Daybreak, Part 3 (421)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bl4de View Post
    Some people seem to be getting confused... my original question is why is there no difference in their universe from ours, despite the fact that CLEARLY it's fiction, not real, sci-fi and their Earth history is completely different from ours? There could be a logical answer, which is what I'm looking for.
    Well, if it's fiction, why couldn't the BSG Earth be different from the "real" one just as much that it needed those 38000 people to arrive to the same conclusion "we did" without them?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bl4de View Post
      Ok so you think it's logical that if our history was altered, everything would stay exactly the same? You don't think the sudden introduction of 38,000 people from another galaxy on our planet would somehow alter the way history plays out in our Earth? Ever heard of the butterfly effect, for one thing? My whole point was that New York shouldn't be the same city it is in our world if in their world, history is completely different.
      They didn't change the past, according to BSG, that is what happened in the past. The same thing that happens over and over throughout time.
      sigpic
      http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
      http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BobBot View Post
        No, you're talking about FTL. The Final Five DID NOT have FTL - this was clearly stated. I was saying that because they did not have FTL, they had to have travelled at less than the speed of light, therefore Earth I had to be less than 2000 light years away. FTL is irrelevant when talking about this.

You can't drive 100 miles at less-than-100mph in 1 hour, so why do you think 2000 lightyears can be covered at less-than-lightspeed in 2000 years?
        Are you referring to Earth or New Earth?
        The Stargate Character Facebook/Twitter Status Page

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=69210

Comment

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
          But the point that BSG is making is that it's not completely different. They're claiming that New York today is the way it is BECAUSE of the 38,000 people not inspite of it. History hasn't been altered, this is what happened in our past in the Galacticaverse.
          I might point out that the only title card presented read '150,000 years later'. No title card established that it was the New York City that's a few states away from me.

Comment

Originally posted by HAL2100 View Post
            I might point out that the only title card presented read '150,000 years later'. No title card established that it was the New York City that's a few states away from me.
            I think Moore said it was New York. Plus the robot on the tv is on MSNBC.
            || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

i haven't listened - or finished downloading yet - but the podcast for the 3 hour finale is up on the scifi site for those that are interested
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I think that it would awesome to have seen the original BSG on sale through a shop window in the final scene, to sort of emphasise that (in a very faint way) humanity has remembered the journey of the Galactica It also would have really angered GINO.
                I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Milky Way Galaxy:
                  * 100,000 light years in diameter
                  * 1000 light years thick

Nearest neighbor galaxy:
                  * Ursa Major II Dwarf (97,800 light years away

Nearest spiral neighbor:
                  * Andromeda (2.5 million light years away)

Next spiral neighbor:
                  * Triangulum Galaxy (2.8 million light years away)

So Earth 1.0 (nuclear cinder) and Earth 2.0 (Our Earth) can't even be in the same galaxy if we except Bill Adama's 1 mly figure to be accurate.

That was some jump that Kara initiated. Tyrol's estimates were that the Cylon upgrades would improve Galactica's jumping distance by 3x, if I remember correctly.

If it took 2000 years for the Final Five to get from Earth 1.0 to the 12 Colonies, the distance would have been significantly less than 2000 light years because there would be a great deal of time spent accelerating and decelerating.

Was there something about the Black Hole that boosted Galactica's jump distance?

If Earth 2.0 is our Earth, then the 12 Colonies and Earth 1.0 would have been in a different galaxy but there don't appear to be any real-life candidates located 1 million light years away.

Were any galaxies located 1 million light years away 150,000 years ago? Some galaxies are moving away but I still don't see a good candidate.

Was the 1 million figure extracted from a posterior orifice?

Star patterns observed from an Earth 2.0 in another galaxy would certainly not match those of Earth 1.0. Therefore, if we see the 12 constellations of the Zodiac as displayed in Athena's tomb on our Earth, they could not have been seen on Earth 1.0.

Well, none of it adds up, so I'll just have to eat a bowl of bran-flakes and move on with life.
                  sigpic My Twit-name (@fwupow) is the same!

Comment

i just got a nosebleed about the relativity physics discussion that showed up in this thread...
                    Things we'd like to see in our favorite scifi...
                    Spoiler:
                    "Ori, meet Wraiths. Wraiths, meet Ori. I'm sure you'll get along famously." ~ any member of SG1.
                    "Priors, meet Cylons. Cylons, Meet Priors. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful theologic discussion." ibid
                    "This is the BattleStar Galactica - please identify yourself."
                    "This is the Earth Vessel Daedelus. Are you lost?"
                    "The WHAT Vessel?" Galactica Actual.

Comment

In a faltering economy, there are winners and losers.

One man in particular has prepared well for inclusion in the latter category.

I think it fair for the movie and television viewing audience to expect a future in which his services are declined.
                      Last edited by fwupow; 25 March 2009, 11:29 PM. Reason: spelling
                      sigpic My Twit-name (@fwupow) is the same!

Comment

Has anyone considered that maybe Earth Light Years are calculated slightly differently from Colonial Light Years?
                        I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                        Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Mappalazarou View Post
                          Has anyone considered that maybe Earth Light Years are calculated slightly differently from Colonial Light Years?
                          Yes obviously there is a difference in the calculation of a light year as the combined industrial smoke that the Colonials produced slowly passed through the atmosphere's of their planets eventually causing a pocket of intergalactic smog in the near vicinity of the Colonies. As a result, light passing into that pocket was slowed those causing a Colonial light year to be shorter than a light year elsewhere in the universe.

Comment

see, it all makes sense now

has anyone considered galactic shift? the planets/stars etc are close but aren't exactly in the same places they were then. our galaxy (and presumably others) are slowly spiraling outwards and have been since they day they were made.

in 150,000 years they could have all shifted apart so they're further apart now than they were then

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fwupow View Post
                              Milky Way Galaxy:
                              * 100,000 light years in diameter
                              * 1000 light years thick

Nearest neighbor galaxy:
                              * Ursa Major II Dwarf (97,800 light years away

Nearest spiral neighbor:
                              * Andromeda (2.5 million light years away)

Next spiral neighbor:
                              * Triangulum Galaxy (2.8 million light years away)

So Earth 1.0 (nuclear cinder) and Earth 2.0 (Our Earth) can't even be in the same galaxy if we except Bill Adama's 1 mly figure to be accurate.

That was some jump that Kara initiated. Tyrol's estimates were that the Cylon upgrades would improve Galactica's jumping distance by 3x, if I remember correctly.

If it took 2000 years for the Final Five to get from Earth 1.0 to the 12 Colonies, the distance would have been significantly less than 2000 light years because there would be a great deal of time spent accelerating and decelerating.

Was there something about the Black Hole that boosted Galactica's jump distance?

If Earth 2.0 is our Earth, then the 12 Colonies and Earth 1.0 would have been in a different galaxy but there don't appear to be any real-life candidates located 1 million light years away.

Were any galaxies located 1 million light years away 150,000 years ago? Some galaxies are moving away but I still don't see a good candidate.

Was the 1 million figure extracted from a posterior orifice?

Star patterns observed from an Earth 2.0 in another galaxy would certainly not match those of Earth 1.0. Therefore, if we see the 12 constellations of the Zodiac as displayed in Athena's tomb on our Earth, they could not have been seen on Earth 1.0.

Well, none of it adds up, so I'll just have to eat a bowl of bran-flakes and move on with life.
                              Why is this so difficult for people to get? The Colonials never traveled in a straight line; it was a million light-years going in circles and zig-zags, essentially.
                              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Something else to consider

we don't know what intergalactic travel is like. we've never done it. Likely never will in our lifetimes. You can't make absolute statements about what it's like when all that statement is based on is conjecture and guesses and suppositions.

we've never even traveled near light speed, so we have no idea what really happens. again, more theories, guesswork and conjecture.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X