Daybreak, Part 3 (421)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pjt View Post
    Wait a minute. We became what we are, because the "38,000 cultured, educated and English speaking citizens from another world landed on ours 150,000 years ago", and not in spite of it.
    No.. the English language wasn't around 150,000 years ago. The romans didn't speak English. The Aztec's didn't speak English. Native American didn't speak English. (Ok maybe they are speaking another language but our "tv is translating", even so, they would all be speaking another language).

My point was, there's no way we'd have times square today if our culture sprouted from theirs. 38,000 turned into the people we have today? Plus a few tribals here and there of course.

Like I said, imagine if someone took a time machine and 38,000 English speaking Americans, went back in time and populated all major areas of the world. I don't think the Gauls and the Prussians spoke English, but in the BSG universe, they would have been.

Unless all the people that settled on new-Earth just didn't communicate and teach anything to existing cultures, and just let their language die with them...?
    "Did you really expect some Utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?"

Comment

interesting wrap up. I did not see that coming.

150,000 years is a long time. Whole civilizations have been lost in less time. The continents have moved over 7 kilometers in that time.

I like the fresh start, but I would have left a message for the future. Put the fleet in an enormous orbit around the solar system as a time capsule and warning to prevent this all from happening again.

But, I liked the message. Its a message that I have believed in for most of my life. We must be careful what we do with our planet. After all, its the only one we have. We must not allow our technology to run out of control. Space travel, exploring other planets, I hope it will happen, but I hope that well before that, we can all learn to get along, and stop destroying our planet.

Goodbye to the best fraking show on Earth!!

Now I need to buy all the DVD's.....BSG is worth it!!
      Under the Ice of Antarctica....
      O'Neill: I cant go on....
      Carter: You spent 7 Years on MacGyver and you cant figure this one out. We got belt buckles, and shoelaces and a piece of gum build me a Nuclear reactor for crying out loud. You used to be MacGyver, MacGadget, MacGimik but now your Mister MacUseless.

Comment

Holy frak what a great episode blows every other finale to all the other science fiction tv shows out of the water.

OMG poor roslin i was nearly in tears.

I'm glad that tory finally got her comeuppance for killing cally.

fave scenes
        Adama leaving galactica for the last time
        Adama flying over africa in the raptor with roslin
        Galactica ramming the colony
        the modern centurions fighting the older model centurions
        Starbuck saying goodbye to lee
        Galactica and the other ships flying into the sun goodbye sam.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          yeah, why doo they always have to barf? i get sick - no pun intended - of someone barfing almost every episode of er
          I had problems with that overall. It also seemed somewhat fake to me as I expect someone that's going to hurl to at least bend over.
          The Stargate Character Facebook/Twitter Status Page

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=69210

Comment

It's funny in a nice kind of way reading this thread and seeing all the different sayings for the same thing, barfing, puking, hurling etc. It shows you quiet how big and varied the fan base for BSG is.

I watched the puking scene in 720p and it was a little bit too much detail lol, although the continuity error in the scene attracted my attention rather than the stuff coming out his mouth.

Comment

yeah, he spewed all over himself, then presto chango, it was all clean for the next scene...oops
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bl4de View Post
                No.. the English language wasn't around 150,000 years ago.
                <snip>
                I just quoted it. And the emphasis wasn't on the language, but on the rest of the text, i.e. that 38000 people 150000 years ago would have changed everything.

Well it did, we became what we are now.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HAL2100 View Post
                  Not neccessarily. You're assuming that there's a direct correlation between the distance that can be covered via FTL jumps and a ship traveling at near light spead. FTL isn't 'true' Faster Than Light, its actually a dimensional drive hence the Raptors causing the damage when they jumped in close proximity.
                  No, you're talking about FTL. The Final Five DID NOT have FTL - this was clearly stated. I was saying that because they did not have FTL, they had to have travelled at less than the speed of light, therefore Earth I had to be less than 2000 light years away. FTL is irrelevant when talking about this.

You can't drive 100 miles at less-than-100mph in 1 hour, so why do you think 2000 lightyears can be covered at less-than-lightspeed in 2000 years?

Comment

Originally posted by DetriusXii View Post
                    But one of my fellow graduate students in physics suggested that physics students work based on faith. They end up trusting that the solution exists and they work faster to get the answer because they have a faith in the professor that the answer exists. So if Gaius Baltar wrote that faster than light travel was possible, the next generation could take possibly ten years to verify that it was possible. If Baltar wrote down that it should be possible to find a mathematical expression for the slope and area of a curve, the next generation of students may make incredible progress to get the solution.
                    Yeah, but look at Fermat's last theorem. He wrote that it was possible to prove a^n + b^n = c^n has no solutions in non-zero integers a, b, and c (thank you wikipedia) and even with some of the best mathematicians humanity has produced working on the problem it still took 357 years until a proof was found. And even then it wasn't the proof he used as it required knowledge that wasn't available at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by pjt View Post
                      I just quoted it. And the emphasis wasn't on the language, but on the rest of the text, i.e. that 38000 people 150000 years ago would have changed everything.

Well it did, we became what we are now.
                      So you're saying the only way that our real life right now (not in BSG) could have happened is if the BSG storyline was true?

The problem I have with the whole thing is that our reality and their BSG reality are the exact same at the very end of the series, despite the fact that in real life 38,000 humans didn't suddenly populate our planet thousands of years ago.

Some people seem to be getting confused... my original question is why is there no difference in their universe from ours, despite the fact that CLEARLY it's fiction, not real, sci-fi and their Earth history is completely different from ours? There could be a logical answer, which is what I'm looking for.

Sorry to be harsh, but what you said was complete rubbish.
                      Ok so you think it's logical that if our history was altered, everything would stay exactly the same? You don't think the sudden introduction of 38,000 people from another galaxy on our planet would somehow alter the way history plays out in our Earth? Ever heard of the butterfly effect, for one thing? My whole point was that New York shouldn't be the same city it is in our world if in their world, history is completely different.
                      "Did you really expect some Utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?"

Comment

Originally posted by Bl4de View Post
                        Ok so you think it's logical that if our history was altered, everything would stay exactly the same? You don't think the sudden introduction of 38,000 people from another galaxy on our planet would somehow alter the way history plays out in our Earth? Ever heard of the butterfly effect, for one thing? My whole point was that New York shouldn't be the same city it is in our world if in their world, history is completely different.
                        But the point that BSG is making is that it's not completely different. They're claiming that New York today is the way it is BECAUSE of the 38,000 people not inspite of it. History hasn't been altered, this is what happened in our past in the Galacticaverse.

Comment

Loved the series and loved the ending. Did find myself welled up. it was excellent. Sad to see it go

Hopefully this will go down as a landmark for the rest to follow, a series with meaning, with a brilliant beginning, solid middle, and a superb ending that had it all.

Comment

Plus it's not accounting for relativity, which they admitted on the show. Even if you travel NEAR the speed of light you get time distortion. So if they physically sat on the ships for 2000 years at almost the speed of light, FAR more time would have passed for everyone else.
                            "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

Originally posted by ItsDan View Post
                              Plus it's not accounting for relativity, which they admitted on the show. Even if you travel NEAR the speed of light you get time distortion. So if they physically sat on the ships for 2000 years at almost the speed of light, FAR more time would have passed for everyone else.
                              Obviously I watched a totally different edit of the same episodes everyone else did. The ones I saw made it very obvious that 2000 years passed in the Colonies while the Final Five travelled from Earth to the Colonies. The time passed on the ship was not specified, but would have been significantly less than 2000 years.

Comment

Originally posted by BobBot View Post
                                Obviously I watched a totally different edit of the same episodes everyone else did. The ones I saw made it very obvious that 2000 years passed in the Colonies while the Final Five travelled from Earth to the Colonies. The time passed on the ship was not specified, but would have been significantly less than 2000 years.
                                (Raises hand) Me too.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X