Daybreak, Part 3 (421)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theduck71 View Post
    I was thinking maybe Ireland. I know that the natives had no spoken language, but Gaelic comes to mind, when I think of Ireland, which is a derivative of Gaelen.
    Huh? And, no it isn't.
    Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

lol

for all we know Gaelic is a derivative of the galacticans native language. just because we watched the show in english doesn't mean they really spoke english

(although, personally, i doubt they thought about it that much...just didn't know how Galen would fit in after murdering one of his own and with all he'd lost and so they had him go off and die a hermit....like adama.

teh difference being, galen would be totally alone while adama probably spent the rest of his days talking to the cairn where roslyn is.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

speaking of roslyn, notice the 'cross' he put on her grave? although it wasn't a cross, it was a V. A symbol i don't recall seeing before. but think of it symbolically. a v...that starts off joined at the base and then splits, to get further and further apart and never rejoin.

accident or symbolic I don't know, but interesting

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pjt View Post
          Not that I want to deny the right for some people to say their thoughts about the finale in this topic, but the number of newbies registering just to dis the finale increases by the hour. Well, they might be those who were just lurking the board, but then they were so disappointed by the finale that they just had to register. Or this is a trick to "increase" the number of the disappointed.
          Dunno, but it is strange.
          Maybe folk felt driven to, after investing so much time and emotion into the show, to be given THAT as the "conclusion" to 6 years of hard-hitting drama, and cool-as-fook-sfx.

I was sickened and saddened by the disgusting insult that was the "finale".

"Angels did it". Okay, then... but why?

What WAS Starbuck? How did end up on Earth, die, then find herself again? So Daniel wasn't her father?

Why did Roslin keep going all wobbly-weird when they jumped?

Why did Roslin, Athena, Caprica, Baltar (and Hera?) all have that shared opera house vision?

How did The Fleet end up in the nebula (end S3)? Why did the power fail across the fleet? How did the Cylons get to the same place, at the same time?

Don't say "angels".

As for abandoning all their tech; no. Just no.

Also, how the hell were technologically/culturally advanced humans supposed to breed with proto-humans who can't even speak? Not gonna happen.

From reading this thread, it seems plenty of people loved it. I liked a lot of the episode itself (Centurions hand-to-hand = WIN!) and there was plenty of witty dialogue. But no, I didn't find the answers satisfactory at all.

Comment

Why did Roslin, Athena, Caprica, Baltar (and Hera?) all have that shared opera house vision?
            it was foreshadowing of the search for hera through the corridors of the ship. 'it's happened before and will happen again', it was a massive case of deja vu.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BobBot View Post
              Can we stop referring to them as Neanderthals? They were Homo Sapiens, visually and by the fact that their DNA is compatible with the Colonial human's, and the Colonials eventually interbred with them.
              Neandethal DNA was, and probably still is, compatible with Human DNA.

Comment

Originally posted by shipper hannah View Post
                - I think there are some inconsistencies with the new planet being Earth II. Tell me if I'm wrong, but Starbuck visited Earth I and found that the constellations matched, and it looked like she was passing Jupiter (I can't quite recall). I also remember at the end of Crossroads pt2, there was a zoom in on Earth and the continent of N.America. Isn't this inconsistent with the idea that the new planet is our Earth?
                Let me see if I can help; in "Crossroads, Part 2," we saw an unnamed planet with a cool-looking continent and constellations that match the ones we saw earlier on Kobol. The Colonials then locate said planet, where the Thirteenth Tribe fled to, a place called Earth, though it was a nuclear wasteland when they arrived. So they drift in space near the planet's system, not really knowing where to go and not being able to make FTL jumps for fear of shattering Galactica.

A few months later, the Battlestar launches an attack on the Cylon Colony, destroying it and being forced to make an emergency jump to a close-by star system using coordinates hidden in "the Song." The Galactica's hull cracks then, stranding them there, and they cruiser over a small moon toward a blue-green paradise waiting just beyond, untouched by the Cylon menace. They call in the rest of the Fleet and they decide to make this strange new world their home. Its constellations are similar to Earth's because the two planets are remarkably close together (both being one Battlestar-jump from the Colony). This is not Earth, though, but the unknown planet seen in the final seconds of "Crossroads, Part 2."

When it comes time to give this wondrous place a name, Adama decides to name it after the planet that's legend sustained them through four years of Hell, the world of myth that was thought to finally give humanity a place to prosper once more; Earth.

In conclusion, our planet wasn't Earth at any point except the finale, and when we saw it at the end of Season 3, it was just a random habitable world, not the one the Colonials were looking for at all. Got it?
                Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                  Let me see if I can help; in "Crossroads, Part 2," we saw an unnamed planet with a cool-looking continent and constellations that match the ones we saw earlier on Kobol.
                  I know Earth mkI wasn't our Earth. My problem is that the constellations of Earth mk I and Earth mk II are the same.
                  sigpic
                  http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
                  http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoletsi View Post
                    What WAS Starbuck? How did end up on Earth, die, then find herself again? So Daniel wasn't her father?
                    Does this really matter this much? I mean the why and the how? If you read the inteview with RDM, they had a couple of explanations, and found out that they all ruined the whole thing. I think it would have felt like a Scooby Doo story...

Why did Roslin keep going all wobbly-weird when they jumped?
                    Apart from that she was actually dying?

As for abandoning all their tech; no. Just no.
                    Before this occasion, each time they relocated to a new planet, and started a technological society, they ended up creating Cylons, and getting wiped out. This was the only choice...

Also, how the hell were technologically/culturally advanced humans supposed to breed with proto-humans who can't even speak? Not gonna happen.
                    Err... How to explain it very carefully... Well, as time passes without, well... you know... (cough, shuffle)... actually if this time is measured in months... er...
                    sigpic

Comment

If you really wanted to get deep and heavily into picking apart the planets, "Earth" that they found in 4.10 that was a nuclear wasteland is our modern time Venus, and the new "Earth" they found in 4.20 is this planet we live on today.

Given the relatively close proximity of the two planets (in the terms of how big the universe is), standing on either would* give the same visual constellation match that they used in 4.10 to confirm Earth 1.0 was Earth.

*I haven't been the Venus to confirm this though

or........

You could say that the two planets were the same one and that because the Colony fight was being conducted right on top of a black hole, that while they were fighting for the hour or so they were, time passed on earth much faster and a few hundred thousand years passed and that the eco-system had repaired itself over that period - the one fact that destroys this theory is the fleet were not at the Colony so would have all been long dead by the time Kara jumped them back to the self repaired Earth.
                      Last edited by Ian-S; 23 March 2009, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoletsi View Post
                        Neandethal DNA was, and probably still is, compatible with Human DNA.
                        Partially, yes. There are few differences, but we would have been able to breed with them.
                        And why shouldn't we call them Neanderthals? They probably were. Apart from a few minor differences in bone structure they looked just like us. Dress them and you wouldn't be able to tell them apart from us.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
                          Hera didn't have a blood type as we know them, she did the deed with a human of some kind (likely a local) and the mtDNA part of that theory is the bit that lacks blood type? Remember that SG1 episode where they cured themselves even though they were different blood types by removing the white blood cells from the cured sample blood?

Then again I could be talking crap cos I've had too much chocolate today.
                          Too much chocolate - mtDNA has nothing to do with blood type.

Comment

Originally posted by apollo123 View Post
                            Not to mention any attempt to explain the nature of God and his Angels would've been a letdown. I like that they kept it vague/up to interpretation.
                            The subtle inference I've found, thinking about this episode, is that God's plan was to save humans because he loves each of them (the latter part being according to Angel 6's discussions with Baltar throughout the series). I had assumed this meant the colonials, but now I think the humans he wanted to save were the savages on Earth 2. Everything lead to Hera being on Earth 2 and being mtEve - her Cylon mitochondria and the colonial linguistic genes would have given the Earth 2 humans a big advantage over the other hominids, who may have won the competition for resources if it hadn't been for God's meddling. Also, it tested the colonial humans, seeing if they were able to stop the fighting. Another failure then, since humans fought and fight with themselves and are heading towards Cylon tech again...

Comment

Originally posted by Jenova Synthesis View Post
                              And why shouldn't we call them Neanderthals? They probably were. Apart from a few minor differences in bone structure they looked just like us. Dress them and you wouldn't be able to tell them apart from us.
                              Because neanderthalls are not our ancestors? They lived alongside our ancestors as a different branch of the evolutionary tree.

Comment

Originally posted by BobBot View Post
                                Too much chocolate - mtDNA has nothing to do with blood type.
                                that was what I meant lol, Hera didn't have a blood type (Balter said she didn't in the episode where her blood originally saves Roslin). mtDNA is the same in all of us, and Hera was "pure" so to speak when it comes to blood type and dna.

Yep, more chocolate today

Comment

Working...
                                X