My Journey through Babylon 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
    I think I have a crazy theory about this now. But I won't share it just yet. Based on what you've written and the scene in Chrysalis I have a guess but will wait until end of season 2 at least to share.

Glad to hear I could help bring back the good memories
    I think you're on the right track with Kosh. Here's something else to consider about him: take a good, long look at his encounter suit... and then look very carefully at the structure of it.
    sigpic

Comment

2x12 - Acts of Sacrifice

I think the highlight of the episode for me was the "chemically inoffensive" drink.

There was some filler in this episode that is likely used to set up future conflicts between the Narn and Centari. Not sure what the whole point of that random race that Ivanova was dealing with was. There was definitely some comic relief there, especially during the "sex" scene.

There doesn't seem to be a resolution to the war in sight. Both races are bent on destroying one another at any cost. G'Kar accepts the help reluctantly as he seems to want nothing more than more weapons at his disposal to destroy the Centari.

I had a hard time feeling anything for Londo in this episode. He put it all on himself and nobody else to blame really.
      sigpic

Comment

2x12 - Acts of Sacrifice

I think the highlight of the episode for me was the "chemically inoffensive" drink.

There was some filler in this episode that is likely used to set up future conflicts between the Narn and Centari. Not sure what the whole point of that random race that Ivanova was dealing with was. There was definitely some comic relief there, especially during the "sex" scene.

There doesn't seem to be a resolution to the war in sight. Both races are bent on destroying one another at any cost. G'Kar accepts the help reluctantly as he seems to want nothing more than more weapons at his disposal to destroy the Centari.

I had a hard time feeling anything for Londo in this episode. He put it all on himself and nobody else to blame really.
        The Lumati don't appear again on Babylon 5 except as an afterthought in a single line by Delenn in a future episode. JMS intended their appearance on B5 to be a commentary about the Prime Directive on Star Trek.

There's no easily resolution with the Narn-Centauri War. Neither side wants anything less than a victory, which is why peace really isn't an option. One side or the other will fall eventually. B5's mandate was to be able to create peaceful solutions to problems and prevent another galactic war. That doesn't seem to be working out does it? That kind of implies that B5 may end up having a very different role than what it was originally intended for but an important role nonetheless.

As for Londo, I don't feel sorry for him at all in seasons 2 and 3. Beyond that, you'll have to see what happens to him and judge for yourself. At this point in the series, I really didn't like seeing Londo from week to week but he did do well being the Shadows' pawn very well in season 2.
        sigpic

Comment

I have a hard time remembering exactly how I felt about Londo at various points in the series. It changed over time and was shifting all the while.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
            As for Londo, I don't feel sorry for him at all in seasons 2 and 3. Beyond that, you'll have to see what happens to him and judge for yourself. At this point in the series, I really didn't like seeing Londo from week to week but he did do well being the Shadows' pawn very well in season 2.
            I obviously don't know what is going to happen, but at this point I find it hard to believe I can feel bad for him. He knowingly ordered the massacre of a Narn colony with lots of innocent lives at stake. His reasons were selfish as he did this simply to gain the upper hand in a power struggle on his own home planet. The only paths I see from here on out is that he continues down the path of destruction or attempts to right his wrongs by doing something for the greater good. Neither of which will change the decision he made and the impact it had.
            sigpic

Comment

Will you all think I'm crazy if I say Londo is favorite character? In season 1, he was the main reason I watched the show. I love his sense of humor - something he keeps for the entire series. It's like there's 2 Londos - one that is a caring, loyal, fun-loving guy that you'd like to have a beer (or 5) with, and then there's the heartless nationalist ready to comit to genocide. The strange thing is both Londos are always there to a degree.

Magictrick, I'll be intersted to see what you think of Londo a few seasons down the road.

Comment

2x13 - Hunter, Prey

Any episode that has some focus on Kosh and the Vorlons has been great so far and this one is no different. I loved the idea of an organic ship (Farscape style) and was really interested in the Kosh story line. Kosh doesn't seem to take interest in anyone ever, but that seems to be changing now with Sheridan. I'm sure there will be more to come of this.

The other plot line with the doctor was alright but nothing too special. Just another way to progress the conspiracy storyline about the president's assassination.

One of my favourite scenes was the conversation between Garibaldi and the Doc. I thought there were some great lines and quotes in that exchange. I hope to see more of this kind of writing going forward. The part about technology and how humans couldn't wait for it to arrive and when it did they didn't really know what to do with it nor were they ready. I think that's very relevant in today's society and will continue to be until that "big break".
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Savatage View Post
                  Will you all think I'm crazy if I say Londo is favorite character? In season 1, he was the main reason I watched the show. I love his sense of humor - something he keeps for the entire series. It's like there's 2 Londos - one that is a caring, loyal, fun-loving guy that you'd like to have a beer (or 5) with, and then there's the heartless nationalist ready to comit to genocide. The strange thing is both Londos are always there to a degree.

Magictrick, I'll be intersted to see what you think of Londo a few seasons down the road.
                  I am also interested to know what I will think of him in the future
                  sigpic

Comment

2x13 - Hunter, Prey

Any episode that has some focus on Kosh and the Vorlons has been great so far and this one is no different. I loved the idea of an organic ship (Farscape style) and was really interested in the Kosh story line. Kosh doesn't seem to take interest in anyone ever, but that seems to be changing now with Sheridan. I'm sure there will be more to come of this.

The other plot line with the doctor was alright but nothing too special. Just another way to progress the conspiracy storyline about the president's assassination.

One of my favourite scenes was the conversation between Garibaldi and the Doc. I thought there were some great lines and quotes in that exchange. I hope to see more of this kind of writing going forward. The part about technology and how humans couldn't wait for it to arrive and when it did they didn't really know what to do with it nor were they ready. I think that's very relevant in today's society and will continue to be until that "big break".
                    Interesting that Kosh gets involved with helping Sheridan get the doctor's data crystal and smuggle him off the station, but was a no-show when the Centauri emperor was scheduled to give a speech. Just sayin'.

Comment

2x13 - Hunter, Prey

"Hunter, Prey" was one of my favorite episodes of season two because of the focus on Kosh and the Vorlons. Kosh's interest in Sheridan, specifically why he's interested in Sheridan, will be revealed very soon. Also, notice Kosh's rather abrupt reaction when Sheridan presses him with the question, "What do you want?" Kosh replies with "never ask that question." This is the same question that Morden and the Shadows posed to Londo--and look at what's happened with him. The final line in that memorable exchange, "to fight legends," suggests a lot of things.

Aside from the Vorlon development, the scene you mentioned with Garibaldi and Franklin was also one of my favorite scenes in season 2. They encapsulated the good times of the past just right, describing it as "a long summer night" and "innocent." I know full well what that feeling of the good ol' days is like. It's something I haven't felt in many years now.

Just a minor spoiler about the above described scene: Babylon 5's cure for that kind of thinking, being nostalgic about the past, is creating new beginnings and building something greater than what was around before. That idea of building the future is integral to the show and goes all to the way to the very end of the series.
                      Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 25 October 2011, 01:18 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                        "Hunter, Prey" was one of my favorite episodes of season two because of the focus on Kosh and the Vorlons. Kosh's interest in Sheridan, specifically why he's interested in Sheridan, will be revealed very soon. Also, notice Kosh's rather abrupt reaction when Sheridan presses him with the question, "What do you want?" Kosh replies with "never ask that question." This is the same question that Morden and the Shadows posed to Londo--and look at what's happened with him. The final line in that memorable exchange, "to fight legends," suggests a lot of things.
                        I also caught that line with the "what do you want?" and a light bulb went off inside my head. I immediately thought of Morden and Londo. As for the "to fight legends" line I had to think twice to make sure I heard it right. It seemed a little bit out of place in the conversation at first but I'm sure it wasn't. While I'm still thinking about what it could mean it definitely was interesting way to end off the conversation.

Also, this may not come as a surprise to many fans, but the show really is picking up the pace now in the middle part of season 2. For those who always say you have to try to endure through season 1 to get to the good stuff are definitely right. Though I did not find S1 that bad, as I was always looking forward to finding out more about all the different characters, alien races and history that exist in the B5 universe.
                        sigpic

Comment

2x14 - There All the Honor Lies

Clever title for an episode with a few twists and turns. Was it too predictable that you knew the Menbari was lying from the start? Of course. But that didn't take away from a pretty strong story.

Gotta give it to Londo for doing the right things in this episode, including helping out Sheridan. I think the episode could have focused a bit more on Lennier as well, since he was put in a very difficult spot. Would have liked to see a more personal scene with him and what is going through his mind. Something similar to the scene that Vir had which I thought was excellent.

I'm trying to also keep track of how many episodes have the line "All alone in the night". Clearly its a recurring theme in season 2 and maybe onwards as well. Kosh continues to surprise with his lessons. I was trying to figure out what the beauty scene was all about and I'm not quite sure yet. I am liking this side plot with Sheridan though as I'm sure it will lead to something much bigger, probably to do with a surprising fact about the Vorlons.

Based on Londo's knowledge of the Menbari in this episode, I am curious what the relationship is between the Centauri and Menbari. We know the relationships between most of the other races, but I don't think this one has really been explored. What is the history between the two? How well doe they know each other?
                          sigpic

Comment

What is the history between the two? How well doe they know each other?

I don't think they have much of a history with each other. Cold Fuzz is the god of B5 lore and can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Centauri were more conquest minded in their heyday and never wanted to mess with the Minbari. Of the newer races, the Minbari are the oldest and most powerful. They also have a thing for keeping their race pure (You've seen how most of Minbari react to Delenn) which isn't conducive to extensive relations with other races.

Comment

I never can decide who is my all-time favorite character. Kosh is pretty darn neat. Delenn is special. Garibaldi - gotta love him! Londo, hate him, love him, want to kill him, want to party with him. G'Kar is so profound and spiritual and can be damn funny. But wait till you meet Zathras. I just adore him.
                              sigpic

Comment

2x14 - There All the Honor Lies

Clever title for an episode with a few twists and turns. Was it too predictable that you knew the Menbari was lying from the start? Of course. But that didn't take away from a pretty strong story.

Gotta give it to Londo for doing the right things in this episode, including helping out Sheridan. I think the episode could have focused a bit more on Lennier as well, since he was put in a very difficult spot. Would have liked to see a more personal scene with him and what is going through his mind. Something similar to the scene that Vir had which I thought was excellent.

I'm trying to also keep track of how many episodes have the line "All alone in the night". Clearly its a recurring theme in season 2 and maybe onwards as well. Kosh continues to surprise with his lessons. I was trying to figure out what the beauty scene was all about and I'm not quite sure yet. I am liking this side plot with Sheridan though as I'm sure it will lead to something much bigger, probably to do with a surprising fact about the Vorlons.

Based on Londo's knowledge of the Menbari in this episode, I am curious what the relationship is between the Centauri and Menbari. We know the relationships between most of the other races, but I don't think this one has really been explored. What is the history between the two? How well doe they know each other?
                                The line "all alone in the night" can be taken as a theme for what's happening in season, yes. The Babylon Project's original purpose was to promote peace in the galaxy. With the Narn and Centauri at war and the Shadows looming in the background with an agenda as elusive as the Vorlons, peace is just impossible. A new mission, thematically speaking, is waiting in the wings.

To understand what I mean by this, here's an example from another show that I've come to like over the years: Doctor Who. He originally went in his TARDIS just to travel and see the universe. He wanted nothing more than that. I don't think he ever expected to become a champion of justice, freedom, and a defender of innocents but that's exactly what he became. Something similar is happening with B5 thematically. By the end of season 2, this will become very clear. In fact, you're nearing a critical episode to the entire storyline, "In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum."

Originally posted by Savatage View Post
                                What is the history between the two? How well doe they know each other?

I don't think they have much of a history with each other. Cold Fuzz is the god of B5 lore and can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Centauri were more conquest minded in their heyday and never wanted to mess with the Minbari. Of the newer races, the Minbari are the oldest and most powerful. They also have a thing for keeping their race pure (You've seen how most of Minbari react to Delenn) which isn't conducive to extensive relations with other races.
                                Nah, not a god. Maybe a demigod or something to that degree. I just happened to watch B5 many, many times since I first saw the series 17-18 years ago.

As for the Minbari and the Centauri, there has been little or no relationship between the two races. This is actually explored in some small degree in season 3 and the B5 movie "In the Beginning."

But Savatage is correct that the Centauri never challenged the Minbari. The Centauri are a prideful people with some of the most advanced weapons tech in the B5 universe, next only to the Minbari. However, the Centauri aren't fools. They know better than to challenge the Minbari. The Centauri have some potent heavy weapons in their arsenal but the Minbari outclass all the other races in technology, except for the Vorlons and the Shadows. The Minbari beam weapons would decimate the Centauri fleet easily.

Just to give you an idea of the power of the Minbari warships, at the Battle of the Line, approximately 800+ war cruisers (plus fighter support) participated. Earth, on the other hand, brought to bear over 20,000 ships, including fighters. Of those 20,000 ships, close to 200 survived. The number of Minbari casualties was not known exactly but given Lennier's speech in "Points of Departure" it could be inferred that they suffered little loss of life.

But could the Minbari stand up to, say, the Shadow warships we've seen prowling about? Wheels turn...

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                                I never can decide who is my all-time favorite character. Kosh is pretty darn neat. Delenn is special. Garibaldi - gotta love him! Londo, hate him, love him, want to kill him, want to party with him. G'Kar is so profound and spiritual and can be damn funny. But wait till you meet Zathras. I just adore him.
                                It's really hard to pick one as I've come to like them all. They're all so well-rounded, and deep characters. I'm probably similar to Garibaldi the most in real life though. I really like Ivanova and Marcus too.

Of the non-human characters, it's really hard to pick one as well. I would've liked to have known Kosh a bit better but then again with the Vorlons, mystery is so part of their ethos I sometimes wonder whether Vorlons even bother talking to one another. I've come to have a special liking for the Minbari. I think if I'd been alive during the Earth-Minbari War, I would've hated them with a passion but understanding who they are and how they think, I think they're wonderful people. And though they'd probably dismiss me as a mere human, I really do admire the Minbari Warrior Caste. Even greater than them though, I like the Rangers. I'd say a great deal more about them but I don't want to spoil information about the Rangers.
                                Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 27 October 2011, 12:33 AM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X