No announcement yet.

Babylon 5 - The Complete First Time Watch (Spoilers) First watch/Rewatch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea, good to see decisive closure play out.

Up to Lines of Communication

Spoiler:
    Wow, Ivanova's hilarious.
    Sheridan: We've always had an open door policy.
    Ivanova: And an open airlock policy. LMAO

I hated that episode, but extremely powerful the end of it. Was expected. I skipped the last ISN episode where a ship was destroyed when the Centauri and Narn were fighting. It was soooooo boring so I just read the summary of it online.

So Garibaldi's definitely brainwashed, but for some reason I'm thinking that he's also maybe undercover trying to oust all the rebel factions on Babylon 5?

Drak seem cool, still a bit cliche but creative with their sort of phase like state. Can't wait to see how that plays out.

Thirdspace was weird, lol I still liked it although seemed like a "bigger guns" story where they just introduced something bigger and better, like the faster way to travel through space.

In the Beginning was pretty fantastic, how everyone had a hand in the war. I really dislike time travel stories because of the paradox fallacies involved. However, I was able to bury that deep and appreciate the melding well told story. It seemed like a Lord of the Rings story in space, this entire show. Sort of.

Did I mention Ivanova's hilarious? When she goes to that party and comes out pushing a guy off all fuzzled. She's like don't ask, hilarious. Then she dismissed the captain. And she's like what do you think would happen if say I killed 10 of em in Thirdspace. She's hilarious.

Comment

Just a general observation about telepaths-
      I really love how realistic this story thread is- the way they're regulated, licensed and somewhat feared. JMS thought about the real-world implications of having people around who could read minds, and how society would react to that. How it's not admissible in criminal court, can't be done without consent, etc. but apparently one can use telepaths in business and probably in civil cases where the standards of evidence and burden of proof is a little less. And when Lyta's potential employer complains she's not certified by PsyCorp and the company's insurance therefore wouldn't cover them in case of a problem- LOL! How realistic does THAT sound? It's just like how a warranty is void if the work is done by an uncertified repairman.

Anyway, the level of detail in this particular story arc is just great. And yet, it's an entirely made-up profession. I have to think JMS had a lawyer consult on this- it certainly makes the whole story feel right- I'm just nodding my head thinking "Damn insurance companies! They're still a pain in the ass in 2260!"

Comment

Poor Lyta got sooooo screwed by th so-called Army of Light;
        Spoiler:
        She got left out with the trash. Realistic, but is still kinda pisses me off.
        sigpic
        Mourning Sanctuary.
        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
          Yea, it was started quickly and ended quickly. Was glad it didn't drag on otherwise would have become silly. The Starfire thing was a bit too much, seemed a nonadvanced way of determining a person's character. And one person being used to determine the compassion and capability of an entire caste is also a bit silly. With all their tech, they couldn't come up with a better way to detect such qualities? Then again, it might fulfilled that purpose. I don't know, I just don't like a plot device that comes out of nowhere to solve things, deus ex machina. Finally they declare war though, that was getting annoying.

Vegabond, if you're a fan of science fiction shows, that is one of the best and intelligent sci-fi shows. It has great depth, complexity, and intelligence that most sci-fi doesn't. It is one of the more fantastic story telling that I've seen on screen.
          Spoiler:
          That's the thing about the Minbari. They have incredibly advanced technology, the most advanced of all the current races now that the First Ones are gone--and yet their society is as fractured as the Earth Alliance. They're deeply rooted in ritual, tradition, honor, and duty. But the differences between the castes is as polarizing and divisive as racial issues are for certain countries.

The Starfire Wheel was really the only way they could resolve their differences. With Neroon sacrificing himself he redeemed Shakiri's dishonor and the Warrior Caste's behavior. His conversion to the Religious Caste bridged the gulf between the two castes. As the Minbari are almost completely self-sacrificing as individuals, I think the Starfire Wheel was a good tool to highlight that. The Minbari aren't one for talking without actions to back it up, which means blood. Interesting contrast to their advanced technology I think: It all comes down to sacrifice for them. A very interesting people.
          Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 04 June 2010, 01:31 AM. Reason: Forgot to put spoiler tags
          sigpic

Comment

I really enjoyed the end though

Spoiler:
            Where they reformed the grey council but the building caste got the most members, really a wise decision.

Comment

I really enjoyed the end though

Spoiler:
              Where they reformed the grey council but the building caste got the most members, really a wise decision.
              Spoiler:
              In Minbari society, the Worker Caste has never been in dominance, according to the show's creator. It was the first time they were really given a voice, and given that they're completely neutral in the Religious/Warrior conflicts, they're the perfect people to build a new Minbar.
              sigpic

Comment

Yea, good representation for the working class.

Spoiler:
                Ok, the blonde pscorp chick, she got some special powers from that guy that evolved and ascended. Does she ever come back? Her plot arc seems unfinished.

Comment

Yea, good representation for the working class.

Spoiler:
                  Ok, the blonde pscorp chick, she got some special powers from that guy that evolved and ascended. Does she ever come back? Her plot arc seems unfinished.
                  Spoiler:
                  Talia is pretty much gone. She was...well, dissected by Psi Corps. jms left trap doors for each character in case the actor or actress decides to bug out of B5. In Talia's case, the actress who portrayed her wanted to go into broadcast journalism and she ended up on CNN Headline News. So to eliminate her character, jms had the Psi Corps implant that latent personality inside her. Kosh knew it was there and took steps to protect himself (hence the recording he made in Deathwalker). But with her main personality gone and her body basically in a Psi Corps lab, her plotline came to an abrupt end.
                  sigpic

Comment

Dang, was hoping to see the ascended guy again.

Spoiler:
                    Ivanova is so freakin hilarious. Franklin comes in when they're setting up the tv network. Ivanova says that they don't have enough power though. And Franklin mentions the planet. And Ivanova goes off on a rant, was hilarious.

Do we learn more about the origins of the planet? I'm surprised they didn't use that guy to help against some of the battles they've fought.

Comment

Dang, was hoping to see the ascended guy again.

Spoiler:
                      Ivanova is so freakin hilarious. Franklin comes in when they're setting up the tv network. Ivanova says that they don't have enough power though. And Franklin mentions the planet. And Ivanova goes off on a rant, was hilarious.

Do we learn more about the origins of the planet? I'm surprised they didn't use that guy to help against some of the battles they've fought.
                      Spoiler:
                      If there's one criticism I have about B5, it's that they didn't use Draal on and the Great Machine on Epsilon 3 enough. It's true that his presence was important for the time rift with Babylon 4 but you're correct that they could've used him more for the really big battles. Since you're far enough along with season 4 and the series, I might as well tell you that you're not going to see anything with Draal again for the rest of the series.

Oh I love Ivanova. She has some absolutely astounding moments in season 4. Some are comedic, especially when she goes off on some random rant. Others are more somber, like when she really insisted to join Sheridan and Delenn's fleet in the final battle against the Vorlons and the Shadows. In the episodes to come, she really comes to the forefront. We'll see how strong she really is as a commander and as a person. But the really dramatic moment comes for her late in season 4, with the open moments of the episode Rising Star.
                      sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                        Guess he saw it as too powerful of a thing/convenience. Shame its history and origin won't be explored.

Garibaldi used to be the funny guy, but lately he's been spiraling. Now his replacement is a bit funny especially when he tries to make advances on uh Leyta. Poor girl, all alone. Surprised she doesn't go to Sheridan for some kind of job. Think she at least deserves that much.

Oh yeah, Marcus was pretty hilarious, especially with Franklin, pretending to be a couple, lol. Guessing those bug host things take over some of the Centauri, but don't tell me.

Ivanova's just awesome. Hilarious person and can be tough though.

Comment

Spoiler:
                          Guess he saw it as too powerful of a thing/convenience. Shame its history and origin won't be explored.

Garibaldi used to be the funny guy, but lately he's been spiraling. Now his replacement is a bit funny especially when he tries to make advances on uh Leyta. Poor girl, all alone. Surprised she doesn't go to Sheridan for some kind of job. Think she at least deserves that much.

Oh yeah, Marcus was pretty hilarious, especially with Franklin, pretending to be a couple, lol. Guessing those bug host things take over some of the Centauri, but don't tell me.

Ivanova's just awesome. Hilarious person and can be tough though.
                          Spoiler:
                          The end credits for Racing Mars have Jason Carter singing "Modern Major General" in a hilarious way, with Richard Biggs swearing in the background. If you get a chance to see some of the outtakes for that episode, it's hilarious!

*high* Poor Lyta. She's in such a bad position right now. It's true that she could have gone to Sheridan but being the independent woman she is, I think she needed to be able to find work on her own without help from Sheridan or the others, otherwise she'll have self-respect issues. Her current predicament will be the catalyst for great changes in her character for season 5. And yes, Zack is still very much interested in her, even through season 5.
                          sigpic

Comment

Hurr Hurr, Season Three of this journey has just passed and alas, it was spectacular. Roll on Season Four!

AND I WENT TO THE ROCK TO HIDE MY FACE BUT THE ROCK CRIED OUT NO HIDING PLACE!
                            Last edited by Rodney_Mckay; 04 June 2010, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney_Mckay View Post
                              Hurr Hurr, Season Three of this journey has just passed and alas, it was spectacular. Roll on Season Four!

AND I RAN TO THE ROCK TO HIDE MY FACE AND THE ROCK CRIED OUT NO HIDING PLACE!
                              Spoiler:
                              Refa's demise was disturbing and hilarious at the same time. The irony and poetic justice was wonderful to behold, especially considering how he engineered the whole plan to use mass drivers on the Narn Homeworld. It was a great ending to that subplot. The last shot of Sheridan and Delenn kissing with dozens of White Stars in the background was good to see. A real force against the Shadows...and then ominously we see Z Minus 10 days.
                              sigpic

Comment

Up to Endgame in season four

Spoiler:
                                Wow, Marcus, just wow. That's true love, major respect for Marcus. Really clever fights and things.

I knew Garibaldi was brainwashed, pats self. That betray episode was so awesome and dark. The flickering lights as Sheridan was getting assaulted was pretty heart pounding. Can't believe how dark that got. And his torture, wow. That is just amazing top notch writing. Major respect to the creator, JMS. Excellent stuff even though I cringed.

The fight was pretty great. Clark's such a selfish moron.

Leyta was excellent. I wonder how high a level of a telepath she is. More than 12 yeah? Bester should be killed. For the greater good of course, loads shotgun.

Guess the Drak have been put on hold for a while until this plot gets resolved. Weird that Londo and G'Kar are working together now. But great to see Londo grow and G'Kar sorta burying his anger.

Comment

Working...
                                X