Praise and Admiration for Babylon 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lucylou
    I loved Babylon 5! I thought that it was so well written with such a great story arc and the cast were amazing as were the characters that they portrayed. Ivanova was my absolute favourite character on B5! I loved her and Marcus!

Luce xxx
    There are so many characters to love its hard to pick a fav for me. But I would have to go w/ John/Delenn. The relationship between those two was so sweet and caring!! Although Ivonova is definitly my second fav!!!! I loved the relationship between her and Marcus.

Comment

I always felt bad for Lennier. His unrequited love for Delenn kept him there, knowing she was in love with another.

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
        I always felt bad for Lennier. His unrequited love for Delenn kept him there, knowing she was in love with another.
        Isn't that another situation where Billy Mumy asked JMS to write that storyline in for Lennier? Talk about being careful what you wish for...I think I read somewhere that Claudia asked Joe to write in a love scene sometime...and she got that hilarious scene with the Lumati for her trouble. If I'd been an actor on the show I don't think I would've ask JMS for anything...I'd just stay in the corner and hope he didn't notice me or kill off my character...

Good sci fi is about special effects. Great sci fi is about people.

Comment

Originally posted by OriKiller
          What I liked the most about B5 was that they were realistic about the occasional need to take sides and try to achieve victory. Too often, SciFi tends to glorify the compromisers and appeasers who negotiate treaties and stress the need for "peace" above everything else. You could tell that B5 was going to be different at the end of the second season when Susan Ivanova closed the last episode (The Fall of Night) with a monologue that included the following:

"We came to this place because Babylon 5 was our last, best hope for peace. By the end of 2259, we knew that it had failed.

But in so doing, it became something greater. As the war expanded, it became our last, best hope – for victory.

Because sometimes, peace is another word for surrender."

That had to be one of the most hard-hitting lines in the entire series. She echoed part of this thought on the season 3 intro and that's when I got hooked on the show.
          Just gives me chills reading it. Soo cool.

I remember when the intro changed from "last, best hope for peace" to "last, best hope for victory"... I can’t even express how cool I thought that was. They had so many moments that I just didn’t expect because I was just so used to watching the formulaic Star Treks. Don't get me wrong, I do like all of the Star Treks (well maybe not enterprise so much) but they rarely deviated from expectations. This show just took that step where I wasn’t expecting it go. Some of the concepts were just wow worthy.

I definitely need to get my DVDs out.

Also with the show, there was always the since that there was something more, waiting.... and never was I disappointed.

2 most important questions you should ask yourself... Irony is one is by a Vorlon and one is by a Shadow.
          Vorlons ask: Who are you?
          Shadows ask: What do you want?

Other random quotes because once I get started its hard to stop.
          Kosh: And so it begins. You have forgotten something.
          Talia: What is he? And what was on that data crystal he gave you?
          Kosh: Reflection. Surprise. Terror. For the future.
          Kosh: The avalanche has started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote.
          G'kar: No one here is exactly what he appears
          And I leave you with the following gem from "The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari" Picture Vir and Lennier in a bar.

"You couldn't sleep either."
          "No. I heard about your .. situation."
          "I heard about yours. As Mr. Garibaldi would say, it's been one hell of a day."
          "Yes, a hell of a day."
          "And a hell of a year."
          "A hell of a 5 years."
          "A hell of a life."
          ".. You win."
          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I will see your gem and raise you another.

From All My Dreams Torn Asunder (and didn't it have the best ever episode titles?):

"What does the candle represent?"
            "Life."
            "Whose life?"
            "All life, every life. We're all born as molecules in the hearts of a billion stars, molecules that do not understand politics, policies and differences. In a billion years we, foolish molecules forget who we are and where we came from. Desperate acts of ego. We give ourselves names, fight over lines on maps. And pretend our light is better than everyone else's. The flame reminds us of the piece of those stars that live inside us. A spark that tells us: you should know better. The flame also reminds us that life is precious, as each flame is unique. When it goes out, it's gone forever. And there will never be another quite like it. So many candles will go out tonight. I wonder some days if we can see anything at all."

I'd like to tattoo that backwards on certain politicians foreheads so they see it every time they look in a mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
              Claudia Christian auditioned for the role of Seven of Nine on "Star Trek: Voyager" (1995).

Thank the Maker that CC didn't get/take the job on STV. (my comments).
              I didn't know that!! CC as 7 would have tarnished the memory of Ivanova for me, so glad she didn't go there. (standing in for Ivanova)
              Some interesting discussions on this thread at the moment.
              sigpic
              "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

It was the end of the Earth year 2260, and the war had paused, suddenly and unexpectedly. All around us, it was as if the universe were holding its breath . . . waiting. All of life can be broken down into moments of transition or moments of revelation. This had the feeling of both. G'Quon wrote, 'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way.' The war we fight is not against powers and principalities -- it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future, or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain. - G'Kar after the loss of Sheridan at Z'ha'dum.

When characters like G'Kar, Delenne or Susan spoke, their words carried such weight, such dignity, that you were compelled to listen - to really listen - in respectful silence. I remember on one of the DVD commentaries that even the unstoppable boisterous Jerry Doyle would shut up and listen to Delenne's parts when she'd deliver one of her three-page monologues.
                Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                  When characters like G'Kar, Delenne or Susan spoke, their words carried such weight, such dignity, that you were compelled to listen - to really listen - in respectful silence. I remember on one of the DVD commentaries that even the unstoppable boisterous Jerry Doyle would shut up and listen to Delenne's parts when she'd deliver one of her three-page monologues.
                  Sometimes these quotes look a bit pompous when written down on the page or screen, you've really gotta watch the show to get the full impact.
                  BTW Mira Furlann is in Lost these days but I expect that's old news (I've only seen a few eps of Lost and I'm not grabbed by it).
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Ivanova
                    Sometimes these quotes look a bit pompous when written down on the page or screen, you've really gotta watch the show to get the full impact.
                    BTW Mira Furlann is in Lost these days but I expect that's old news (I've only seen a few eps of Lost and I'm not grabbed by it).
                    Someone gave me the DVDs. Its pretty good if you watch it all in a row, uninterrupted. I have not seen any of season 2 yet. I am avoiding all the spoilers and will buy those DVDs too since they are pretty cheap.

Whats funny is Mira Furlann plays a crazy french lady and is only in a few eps. I think I was a lot more predisposed to like her character and give her the benifit of the doubt, even if she was crazy, just because of her acting on B5. Funny how that works. I guess thats how actors get typecast. It was sort of that way for Bester....until he started talking and then I got it realy quick that this aint checkov .
                    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by k8tbug1
                      Just watched most of season 5 (borrowed some tapes from a friend) and the series finale WOW!!! The goodbye between John and Delenn....lets just say I was looking for a tissue!!!!! And the dinner w/ all the friends. Even Ivonava was there!!!! Great episode!!! Great show!!!
                      B5 was my first scifi soap opera. I loved it. I even have all the episodes and movies on tape. Nice to see another thread didicated to a worthy show even if it is only seen in sindication. I wish TPTB would make one more movie clearing up the fate of G'Kar, Lyta, the telepath war, and Sheridan's son.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                        It was the end of the Earth year 2260, and the war had paused, suddenly and unexpectedly. All around us, it was as if the universe were holding its breath . . . waiting. All of life can be broken down into moments of transition or moments of revelation. This had the feeling of both. G'Quon wrote, 'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way.' The war we fight is not against powers and principalities -- it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future, or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain. - G'Kar after the loss of Sheridan at Z'ha'dum.

I think that quote loses something in print. For the full effect, we need to hear G'Kar's stunning delivery. It's my favourite out of the whole series (lord knows how many times I watch that episode and just replay, replay, replay that end bit) but I couldn't say it the way G'Kar does.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient 1
                          B5 was my first scifi soap opera. I loved it. I even have all the episodes and movies on tape. Nice to see another thread didicated to a worthy show even if it is only seen in sindication. I wish TPTB would make one more movie clearing up the fate of G'Kar, Lyta, the telepath war, and Sheridan's son.
                          I know, I would love to especially know more about the story of Sheridan and Delenn's son, David!

Comment

Just got a Babylon 5\Stargate crossover idea.

While going through the gate SG-1 end up in Earths future they are greeted by Thor who indicates that he manipulated the wormhole to pass close to the earth’s sun so as to bring SG-1 to this future as he is desperate need of the teams help.

It appears that old Loki did not stop his "unsanctioned" experimentation on humans when the high counsel told him to do so and now he’s in hot water.

Thor takes SG-1 to the human space station Babylon 5 where the team must defend Loki in court (in true cor-i style). Apparently one of the lurkers on the station is suing Loki for abducting his grandfather.

Meanwhile Daniel meets up again with Oma, who has been forced into an ambassadorial role on B5. She had a few left over injuries from her battle with anubis so now-a-days she wears an encounter suit and talks in much shorter but still cryptic sentances.

Meanwhile, we find out that Garabaldi is actually a decendant of Mitchell and they have great fun talking about Mitchells Italian wife (garabali's grandmother) and her penchion for passing gas.

Meanwhile, Carter meets up with Ivonava and they realize that pretty much if it wasnt for them the men would have lost the war a long time ago. So they recruit Delenn and Natoth and form their own counsel which shall evenually rule all.

Meanwhile, walter came through the gate with SG-1 and is hanging out with Vir and lennear.

Meanwhile, Teal'c continues to stand around.... got to come up with something for teal'c.

Would continue and flesh this out but I got to go to work..... oh and I actually have no more ideas at the moment.... lucky you.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                              Meanwhile, Carter meets up with Ivonava and they realize that pretty much if it wasnt for them the men would have lost the war a long time ago. So they recruit Delenn and Natoth and form their own counsel which shall evenually rule all.
                              Like the idea, AGF, but this is my favorite part!
                              sigpic

Comment

I always loved Michael O' Hare's intro:

Commander Jeffrey David Sinclair: It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, ten years after the Earth-Minbari War. The Babylon Project was a dream given form. Its goal: to prevent another war by creating a place where humans and aliens could work out their differences peacefully. It's a port of call, home away from home for diplomats, hustlers, entrepreneurs, and wanderers. Humans and aliens wrapped in two million, five hundred thousand tons of spinning metal, all alone in the night. It can be a dangerous place, but it's our last, best hope for peace. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2258. The name of the place is Babylon 5.

Now more Trivia regarding JMS:

First met Harlan Ellison in person when both were walking the picket line during the Hollywood Writer's Strike in 1991.

Opted to scuttle the Memory of Shadows movie when the studio insisted on swapping out several cast members for big-name actors. [Correction: The Babylon 5 movie, tentatively titled "The Memory of Shadows," was a whole new story that featured only two supporting characters from the original shows, one of which would have been recast due to scheduling conflicts. The movie never came to fruition because the production company was unable to obtain financing for the project].

Presented a screenplay to Paramount designed to "repair the damage done to Star Trek", but was rebuffed.

"The loss of Richard Biggs kind of took the wind out of our sails and it's taken a while for me to feel up to saying anything about B5. This has also had the effect of slowing up anything to do with B5:TMoS (which as some of you have guessed or inferred does indeed stand for The Memory of Shadows), because in the writing we/I never imagined he wouldn't be here to be a part of it."

On the prospect of future Babylon 5 feature film projects: "The only thing I can say without equivocation is that when that day comes, as the rights-holder, I will make darned sure that it's done right, because I'd rather have no B5 movie than one that doesn't live up to what fans and I myself would want to see. To that end...I can wait."

(November 2003) Currently writing Amazing Spider-Man, Supreme Power, and an upcoming Doctor Strange project for Marvel comics

In addition to his successful television career, has found new stardom as a writer of comic books. As the new writer of the Amazing Spiderman, he managed to triple that book's sales in less than a year.

That's it

Comment

Working...
                                X