The Covid19 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
    Is there still no toilet paper in the stores? I haven't been to a supermarket in over a week, so I have no clue.
    Spotty at best. Limited stock if any, and quantity limits. Fat lot of good a 2 roll limit is going to do for a family.

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
      Nope. Week #4... still no TP in sight. Well, if any deliveries were made at all, it's been gobbled up by noon-time, so anyone coming later still is unable to buy even ONE freakin package of it, and possibly not in the brand or size (double vs. MEGA) and 1 vs. 2 vs. 3-ply strength...
      And some stores are setting the first hour they're open in the morning for those 60+ and those with special conditions so they get first crack at what supplies do come in overnight.

I qualify for that on both age and special conditions, but I wish I didn't. I would love to have that argument with the first store that tried to enforce it with me. You see, it's illegal.

Thought experiment time. What if I owned a store, and I created a policy saying that only whites (or any group, really) would be allowed in the store for the first hour to give them first crack at what came in overnight?

Correct. I'd be hauled into court for violating anti-discrimination laws. There is no legal exception for giving preference or special restrictions to any group.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
        you talking about the same state that was denied masks medical equipment & assistance from your Godvernment?)
        Oh, you mean the ventilators that NY had stashed in a warehouse in the swamps of 'Jersey? Didn't read about that in the MSM, did you?

Comment

I already disproved this argument
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
            Oh, you mean the ventilators that NY had stashed in a warehouse in the swamps of 'Jersey? Didn't read about that in the MSM, did you?
            Those were accounted for in projections, the amount that NY still needs is based on projections not immediate need. By that I mean they might not be using them today, but will need them tomorrow or in 3 days from now.
            sigpic

Comment

Social distancing on a plane? Let's see. A small thin aluminum tube with a recirculated, pressurized air supply for everyone to breathe. I don't think it matters how close you sit. You're gonna get nailed. All passenger air travel should be shut down 2 weeks ago.

As far as self-quarantine when they get to wherever they plan on spreading their germs, we've already seen just how well people are behaving, haven't we?

Manhattan is easy to close. It's an island. Close the bridges. For the rest of it, close mass transit and use the state police to block the roads.

Again and again and again. We won't take proper steps to stop this quickly because we are terrified of pissing people off.
              When I said they should be quarantined, I didn't really mean a voluntary self-quarantine, there could be an "enforceable" quarantine on someone's house or whatever if the people seem unlikely to comply. I know people want to try to get away from where there are a lot of sick people, but it's really not fair to the places these people are going to if they're actually sick and have the ability to get other people sick when there really isn't a problem already there. If we had the tests available in large quantities then that would solve a lot of problems, but unfortunately we don't. I think most people who are leaving to go to second homes or to stay with relatives or whatever, wouldn't have a problem staying put, they're probably just trying to keep their family safe and most likely aren't trying to go sightseeing or partying.
              sigpic

Comment

I did a quick search on UV light sterilizing things, here is the google search.

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=&...=1585639149256

Comment

Nope. Week #4... still no TP in sight. Well, if any deliveries were made at all, it's been gobbled up by noon-time, so anyone coming later still is unable to buy even ONE freakin package of it, and possibly not in the brand or size (double vs. MEGA) and 1 vs. 2 vs. 3-ply strength...

However, there is another local store who said they were getting daily TP deliveries, but the people were lined up at the door -- first come, first serve, and they're all out in less than 30 minutes.

I would see people who have claustrophobia having major emotional problems with being stuck at home. They don't like being cooped up... it drives them bonkers, they get agitated, pace, and end up taking walks outside.

I know someone who drives to a park in another town that is 20 minutes from her house...just to walk her dog. Sometimes, she'll badger us to go with her for "companionship"...! Yeah, all this during a mandatory "social distance" and "stay at home" order (unless it's an emergency or necessary shopping).

Fortunately, we have enough at home projects that were neglected last year to do now, so, no matter how much pleading that persona does with our cell phones/emails, or begging to walk with her & her doggy... which I think is cruelty to the dog, because he doesn't understand why my hubby cannot be near the dog's face (dog is a licker! ewwww), and dog adores my hubby... ugh.
                  (oh, plus this lady was sending me helpful tips for unemployment and how to get a job -- expand *willing* driving distance to new hiring places with decreased pay wage, etc., which I already knew about... did not respond yet to her emails, and I ignore her phone messages, too... she likes to joust on politics too, so we avoid her for that, especially because she goes on endless "D" and TDS rants).
                  speaking of social distancing and this "6 feet rule" I was yelled at last night at the end of the night by some dude in a face mask and full body rain gear for being too close when I had to have already been at least 6 feet away but he kept yelling at me to back off and stay 6 feet away when all I was doing was just standing there waiting for him to finish unloading his groceries so I cold take his cart and get it inside so I could get it done in one final trip but had to make a second trip to get his instead as the dude was also starting to make threats of physical violence (threatening to "merc" me if I didn't back off) so I took the ones I had inside not cuz I was scared but probably more because if I'd started responding in kind (as in "yeah try it bub you're talking to the guy who can pull 60 shopping carts in one go by hand") he probably could've made a complaint and spun it as me threatening him which had the potential to have me be the one in trouble and possibly get fired

not to mention that with my luck the dude would probably turn out to be some kind of ex-soldier ("merc" sounds like a term a military man would use) who could probably kick my backside in any close-quarters fight scenario since a soldier would likely know a heck of a lot more about close-quarters combat than little ol' me with just basic self-defense training here and there

Comment

When I said they should be quarantined, I didn't really mean a voluntary self-quarantine, there could be an "enforceable" quarantine on someone's house or whatever if the people seem unlikely to comply. I know people want to try to get away from where there are a lot of sick people, but it's really not fair to the places these people are going to if they're actually sick and have the ability to get other people sick when there really isn't a problem already there. If we had the tests available in large quantities then that would solve a lot of problems, but unfortunately we don't. I think most people who are leaving to go to second homes or to stay with relatives or whatever, wouldn't have a problem staying put, they're probably just trying to keep their family safe and most likely aren't trying to go sightseeing or partying.
                    They can quarantine where they are. There is no need to let 'em go spread the disease somewhere else first.

Comment

That's why it's been recommended that everyone stay where they are. Since I'm not for enforced quarantine of states, since it's already so widespread and not confined to one place and doing so would cause a panic worse than what's already going on. I think people who want to leave should be allowed to leave, but need to be quarantined or ordered to stay at home when they reach their destination. Quarantine of entire areas only really works if the virus isn't widespread and is confined to that area. There are confirmed cases all over the country, and where there's one confirmed case there will be many confirmed cases in time. Telling people from state A that they can't leave the state, while state B has no such restrictions and has people free to roam and spread the virus as they please isn't going to do anything other than create panic and even fear/animosity towards people from state A, when their not the only potential source of infection. .
                      Last edited by VampyreWraith; 31 March 2020, 03:59 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

That's why it's been recommended that everyone stay where they are. Since I'm not for enforced quarantine of states, since it's already so widespread and not confined to one place and doing so would cause a panic worse than what's already going on. I think people who want to leave should be allowed to leave, but need to be quarantined or ordered to stay at home when they reach their destination. Quarantine of entire areas only really work if the virus isn't widespread and confined to that area. There are confirmed cases all over the country, and where there's one confirmed case there will be many confirmed cases in time. Telling people from state a that they can leave the state, while state B has no such restrictions and has people free to roam and spread the virus as they please isn't going to do anything other than create panic and even fear/animosity towards people from state A, when their not the only potential source of infection. .
                        As I've said, we've seen how well people adhere to restrictions. If given the choice, they don't. So don't give 'em a choice.

And there is no reason the people in "clean" or nearly clean areas should have to accept the risk of people coming from heavily infected areas such as the NYC area.

Remember, the goal is to stop the spread of this as soon as possible, not to make people happy.

Comment

As I've said, we've seen how well people adhere to restrictions. If given the choice, they don't. So don't give 'em a choice.

And there is no reason the people in "clean" or nearly clean areas should have to accept the risk of people coming from heavily infected areas such as the NYC area.

Remember, the goal is to stop the spread of this as soon as possible, not to make people happy.
                          There are no "clean" areas. If they have a few cases, they'll have more cases soon. A lot of theses "clean" or "almost clean" areas don't have shelter in place rules or the like yet and aren't really practicing social distancing even when they're supposed to be because they don't feel it's a problem in their communities (as long as they keep certain people out, anyway). If people coming from out of town are quarantined/ staying home anyway, they shouldn't be posing a risk.
                          sigpic

Comment

There are no "clean" areas. If they have a few cases, they'll have more cases soon. A lot of theses "clean" or "almost clean" areas don't have shelter in place rules or the like yet and aren't really practicing social distancing even when they're supposed to be because they don't feel it's a problem in their communities (as long as they keep certain people out, anyway). If people coming from out of town are quarantined/ staying home anyway, they shouldn't be posing a risk.
                            All the more reason they shouldn't have to have incoming carriers from the overpopulated areas that just coincidentally are the most heavily affected areas.

Comment

All the more reason they shouldn't have to have incoming carriers from the overpopulated areas that just coincidentally are the most heavily affected areas.
                              You dont know that the people coming in are carriers of anything, if they're quarantined in their house they're not spreading anything around. People should be more worried about getting it from their neighbors that they're hanging out all over the place with, than the few people from out of town who are staying in their house.
                              sigpic

Comment

You have manually stop most apps from tracking you constantly here. Most apps that have permissions to use your location are always active and tracking you even when the app is closed because that's the default setting in a lot of them. Some places/states have more specific and strict laws regarding on how that collected info can be used and whether it can be shared. But as long as that info is stored or collected somewhere things can aways end up getting shared even when they're not supposed to be.
                                Speaking of which... one of our universities is tracking how the Belgians are dealing with the lockdown, with a survey and today's edition (there's a new one every week) had a question about something similar to what SK did with their GPS app, and how we would feel about using it as a way to track infections, and to warn people if anyone they had been in contact with was tested positive (if they were to head out to a nearby hospital -- if you only have light symptoms you're generally not tested).

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                                One of my best friend has got a confirmed corona + test. She said she had fever, but hardly any cough. But she has also described the loss of smells as she couldn't feel the parfumes, flowers or cut onions in the kitchen for days. So maybe this little personal information can help on self diagnose if you feel you maybe caught it too.
                                I definitely did not have Covid-19 two weeks ago cause I definitely could still smell my cat's poo.
                                Even though my nose was definitely stuffed.

Can you guarantee that not even one passenger or crew from the stricken ship will be allowed off of it? No?
                                I was thinking of those who were quarantined in Belgium at the start -- those who were brought back from other cruise ships and affected countries. They were quarantined at a military base.

I'd support that as well. And it would be easy enough to enforce a quarantine. Stop passenger air/bus/train travel and let the state police handle the highways. Just stopping air/trains/bus travel would accomplish most of it. NYC is too crowded to operate private automobiles, so most residents don't have them.
                                Over here...

Air travel is allowed but only to return home.
                                Bus travel is allowed but you have to get on in the back of the bus, and every other chair is inaccessible so that a distance of 1.5 meters is maintained at all times. Very few people travel by public transport so the services have been scaled back considerably. Same for train travel.

Travelling by car -- only to go to work, and essential shopping if necessary. Everything else is off-limits, including driving to a park to go for a walk.

Borders are closed and we have checkpoints in place on the borders with The Netherlands since they don't have a lockdown like we do. They are aiming for herd immunity though are steadily reaching the maximum capacity of their ICU units.

re: stretching those TP supplies a bit longer...
                                The pun is strong in this one.

Our deaths now also include a 12-year old with no prior medical history. She just took a turn for the worst without warning.

4920 people in hospital
                                1021 people in the ICU, of which 786 are on a ventilator
                                705 people have died
                                1696 people have been discharged from the hospital in total and are on the mend

We currently total 12775 positive tests.
                                I say tests and not infections because that number is much, much higher since not everyone is tested.
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X