The Covid19 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
    Short term even most of the nyc people sould be fine if they can get unemployment, most people would be able to skip some bills, if they need to. But with the months and months of lockdown you're suggesting, that wouldn't be sustainable. Unemployment benefits don't last forever even if they extend the length of time people can be on it, the well will eventually run dry and benefits will have to be cut. And if you're on lockdown months and months it's going to be all the more harder to find a job once it's over, because more and more businesses would go under.
    If this does extend out months, the feds have already hinted this might not be the last stimulus package. And while we can't discuss the political aspects, for political reasons, I tend to think they're serious about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      No, these people have every right to medical care at ICU's (if they are in need of such treatment which many do). If the Navy has those facilities on board, they could probably be the hospital.

No special treatment -- quarantine everyone up to 14 days, and test them all for infection.

After that time period, you may leave again.
      It's not their fault.
      Can you guarantee that not even one passenger or crew from the stricken ship will be allowed off of it? No?

Then let it anchor offshore, and airdrop whatever is needed. If they let it dock, I'll guarantee you that some soft-brained bureaucrat decides to let at least one person off the ship for one reason or another.

Look at NYC: It and the tri-state area are currently the epicenter of the epidemic in the US. The feds suggested that that area be quarantined to protect the rest of the country. And of course, who was first in line to complain? The idiot in Albany, Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

Remember Yoda's most famous line from TESB?

Our leaders are far too soft-brained to trust on this kind of thing. Get the right one, tell them a good sob story and they'll let typhoid Mary run through the streets.

Oh, and you would have to do something about air circulation from the ship, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
        Look at NYC: It and the tri-state area are currently the epicenter of the epidemic in the US. The feds suggested that that area be quarantined to protect the rest of the country. And of course, who was first in line to complain? The idiot in Albany, Gov. Andrew Cuomo.
        you talking about the same state that was denied masks medical equipment & assistance from your Godvernment?

ho wait come to think of it - your entire country was denied help (when the Defence Production Act could've been invoked months ago)

Comment

Can you guarantee that not even one passenger or crew from the stricken ship will be allowed off of it? No?

Then let it anchor offshore, and airdrop whatever is needed. If they let it dock, I'll guarantee you that some soft-brained bureaucrat decides to let at least one person off the ship for one reason or another.

Remember Yoda's most famous line from TESB?

Our leaders are far too soft-brained to trust on this kind of thing. Get the right one, tell them a good sob story and they'll let typhoid Mary run through the streets.

Oh, and you would have to do something about air circulation from the ship, too.
          The virus isn't only in the NY area, it's all over the country already and a lot of other places are having serious problems too. If you quarantine the NY area you're going to have to quarantine other areas that have the virus too. People would panic, probably try to leave in droves (taking any virus they may have with them) if they thought they were going to be locked into an "enforceable" quarantine zone (people would probably be thinking military with tanks and guns). Other states would be wondering when they'd be next, all that, on top of what's already going on would cause chaos. I do think people leaving areas with a high infection rate should be quarantined though if they can't get tested (which would likely be the case). The way it was handled was better in my opinion.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
            you talking about the same state that was denied masks medical equipment & assistance from your Godvernment?

ho wait come to think of it - your entire country was denied help (when the Defence Production Act could've been invoked months ago)
            Not quite. NYC is a geographically small area of New York State but it is so different in character that it is really like a state within a state. That proposed quarantine would have only affected travel from that one city and the areas surrounding it. It's more accurately called "the tri-state area" because it is essentially one very large city that has spread to 2 surrounding states as well.

Comment

The virus isn't only in the NY area, it's all over the country already and a lot of other places are having serious problems too. If you quarantine the NY area you're going to have to quarantine other areas that have the virus too. People would panic, probably try to leave in droves (taking any virus they may have with them) if they thought they were going to be locked into an "enforceable" quarantine zone (people would probably be thinking military with tanks and guns). Other states would be wondering when they'd be next, all that, on top of what's already going on would cause chaos. I do think people leaving areas with a high infection rate should be quarantined though if they can't get tested (which would likely be the case). The way it was handled was better in my opinion.
              I'd support that as well. And it would be easy enough to enforce a quarantine. Stop passenger air/bus/train travel and let the state police handle the highways. Just stopping air/trains/bus travel would accomplish most of it. NYC is too crowded to operate private automobiles, so most residents don't have them.

Comment

Not quite. NYC is a geographically small area of New York State but it is so different in character that it is really like a state within a state. That proposed quarantine would have only affected travel from that one city and the areas surrounding it. It's more accurately called "the tri-state area" because it is essentially one very large city that has spread to 2 surrounding states as well.
                The way it was pitched was that NY and NJ would be under quarantine as well as parts of Connecticut and maybe a few other (unspecified) places too. What was mentioned wasn't specific to only NYC and the areas immediately surrounding it, but 2 entire states and parts of another one, and maybe some other places, unless someone tried to backtrack later on before completely ditching it for being a bad idea that would induce panic.
                sigpic

Comment

I'd support that as well. And it would be easy enough to enforce a quarantine. Stop passenger air/bus/train travel and let the state police handle the highways. Just stopping air/trains/bus travel would accomplish most of it. NYC is too crowded to operate private automobiles, so most residents don't have them.
                  I don't completely agree with blocking people from leaving (though I wonder about how well social distancing works on a plane or train, I hope they're leaving plenty of room between seats), but once people get to whereever they're going I think they need to be quarantined in their homes or wherever, if they're coming from certain places. A lot of people in Manhattan don't have cars, but that's not so for the people in the other boroughs. A lot of people I know have multiple cars (for different family members), and they don't all have NY lisence plates.
                  sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I'd read that the loss of taste and smell is a common symptom for a lot of people who get it, thanks for sharing about your friend. I hope she feels better soon.
                    the loss of taste and smell may be one of the early symptoms of covid-19 and if you have a fever that comes with that, that could be an early symptom, BUT, the loss of taste and smell without fever and other symptoms could also be the lack of zinc in your system, that happened to me a while back, about 1 or 2 years ago I started to take a supplement and after about 2 weeks or so, I could taste and smell again.

Comment

I don't completely agree with blocking people from leaving (though I wonder about how well social distancing works on a plane or train, I hope they're leaving plenty of room between seats), but once people get to whereever they're going I think they need to be quarantined in their homes or wherever, if they're coming from certain places. A lot of people in Manhattan don't have cars, but that's not so for the people in the other boroughs. A lot of people I know have multiple cars (for different family members), and they don't all have NY lisence plates.
                      trying to keep people in a city or town or even a small town, is a virtual impossibility people will always find a way to get out watch outbreak and other movie that show things like that happening.

Comment

re: stretching those TP supplies a bit longer...

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
                        Since many paper products are still in short visual supply, here is a few suggestions I heard about (then tested its use) or came up with in order to make an existing supply last a bit longer, if necessary. Some of this might be helpful if our current "lock-down / shelter in place" orders from TPTB last longer than 2 weeks or more than a month or so.
                        . . .

Originally posted by epg20 View Post
                        there IS one other way to get paper products, subscribe to your local PRINTED news paper, that way you can have it to use as toilet paper, sponges, what ever, also you can use printer paper, though you would need to get it wet first then let it dry then you can use as what ever so there is that, you STILL have phone books that is also the paper used in news print, then there is just old rags, it may not be what you want, but you can use rags as toilet paper and then you can wash the...DREN... out of it and re use it, sort of like a washable diaper, though you would need a "diaper pail" for the family. I know that it sounds disgusting, BUT, the only difference between that and a baby is the age and size of the baby, and the amount of DREN you would need to clean up, of course you could also use the shower to wash off back there too.
                        Problem with newsprint and magazines, is that some people are highly allergic to the ink in those publications. It causes a nasty rash that can lead to a major skin infection. Super sensitive skin people would be better off using strips of cut-up, old T-shirts (preferably White.. no ink and easier to bleach), as TP for #1 (urine), and reserve the regular TP for #2 (poop). I think using a cut up (damp) sponge for either might work, too, but would have to be sterilized, in bleach. Bag (or "diaper pail) the used linen/cotton strips (of #1 pee) for a (later) bleach wash. Might want to hand wash that with gloves on, too. As for #2 stools or worse diarrhea... go with the real TP (flushable), but also keep some wet wipes with mineral oil or aloe on the side and do NOT flush down toilet! It messes up your own drains/septic systems, besides sewer treatment plants.

I've been hearing that while most plumbers DO appreciate (generic) *your* business with them , they would like to avoid having to come out and fix those clogged plumbing areas, as long as this virus outbreak is active and transferable.

Addendum... I think when semi-normalcy returns, and people are able to buy REAL TP again, I think that those who have the storage space to do so, might keep about a 3 month minimum supply on hand for the rest of their life. ugh.

Comment

Is there still no toilet paper in the stores? I haven't been to a supermarket in over a week, so I have no clue.
                          sigpic

Comment

trying to keep people in a city or town or even a small town, is a virtual impossibility people will always find a way to get out watch outbreak and other movie that show things like that happening.
                            I agree with you, that's why I thought that whole enforceable quarantine of multiple states was a bad idea that just would have induced panic and made things worse.
                            sigpic

Comment

Social distancing on a plane? Let's see. A small thin aluminum tube with a recirculated, pressurized air supply for everyone to breathe. I don't think it matters how close you sit. You're gonna get nailed. All passenger air travel should be shut down 2 weeks ago.

As far as self-quarantine when they get to wherever they plan on spreading their germs, we've already seen just how well people are behaving, haven't we?

Manhattan is easy to close. It's an island. Close the bridges. For the rest of it, close mass transit and use the state police to block the roads.

Again and again and again. We won't take proper steps to stop this quickly because we are terrified of pissing people off.

Comment

Is there still no toilet paper in the stores? I haven't been to a supermarket in over a week, so I have no clue.
                                Nope. Week #4... still no TP in sight. Well, if any deliveries were made at all, it's been gobbled up by noon-time, so anyone coming later still is unable to buy even ONE freakin package of it, and possibly not in the brand or size (double vs. MEGA) and 1 vs. 2 vs. 3-ply strength...

However, there is another local store who said they were getting daily TP deliveries, but the people were lined up at the door -- first come, first serve, and they're all out in less than 30 minutes.

I agree with you, that's why I thought that whole enforceable quarantine of multiple states was a bad idea that just would have induced panic and made things worse.
                                I would see people who have claustrophobia having major emotional problems with being stuck at home. They don't like being cooped up... it drives them bonkers, they get agitated, pace, and end up taking walks outside.

I know someone who drives to a park in another town that is 20 minutes from her house...just to walk her dog. Sometimes, she'll badger us to go with her for "companionship"...! Yeah, all this during a mandatory "social distance" and "stay at home" order (unless it's an emergency or necessary shopping).

Fortunately, we have enough at home projects that were neglected last year to do now, so, no matter how much pleading that persona does with our cell phones/emails, or begging to walk with her & her doggy... which I think is cruelty to the dog, because he doesn't understand why my hubby cannot be near the dog's face (dog is a licker! ewwww), and dog adores my hubby... ugh.
                                (oh, plus this lady was sending me helpful tips for unemployment and how to get a job -- expand *willing* driving distance to new hiring places with decreased pay wage, etc., which I already knew about... did not respond yet to her emails, and I ignore her phone messages, too... she likes to joust on politics too, so we avoid her for that, especially because she goes on endless "D" and TDS rants).

Comment

Working...
                                X