Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
      I sea what you did there -_-

took me a while to get it...you made me think...not cool
      I can smell the burnt synapses from over here

Comment

Our security council is convened. We'll know tonight whether we're going into a lockdown-light or not.

Chances are bars and restaurants will have to close down again.
        Possibility that our close contacts will be reduced to just 1 other person. This is basically the person you're allowed to hug/kiss/be around with without social distance or facemask.
        Work from home mandatory again.
        Curfews are likely too.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          Our security council is convened. We'll know tonight whether we're going into a lockdown-light or not.

Possibility that our close contacts will be reduced to just 1 other person. This is basically the person you're allowed to hug/kiss/be around with without social distance or facemask.
          Curfews are likely too.
          All of these things are good steps to take, just as you and we did earlier.
          Thing is, to be effective, it should not be a short term thing. It must be long enough so the disease dies out, rather than giving in to the demands of the moneymen to re-open.

The problem is that this time around, it may be too late to prevent it from spreading. We had our chance and we sold it.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
            All of these things are good steps to take, just as you and we did earlier.
            Thing is, to be effective, it should not be a short term thing. It must be long enough so the disease dies out, rather than giving in to the demands of the moneymen to re-open.

The problem is that this time around, it may be too late to prevent it from spreading. We had our chance and we sold it.
            oh you poor gullible little thing...you know this is NEVER gonna die out don'cha?

no disease ever truly does...best we can hope for is allowing for herd immunity to set in

Comment

come on it'll die out

just like the flu

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                oh you poor gullible little thing...you know this is NEVER gonna die out don'cha?

no disease ever truly does...best we can hope for is allowing for herd immunity to set in
                It may well be too late by now, but I think we could have stopped it, but we failed miserably.

If we had taken proper steps at the very start; not allowing those cruise ships to dock, complete travel bans and lockdowns even more severe than we did (yeah, food stores, energy supplies and such must be maintained, but we didn't need Home Depot and all the other unessential businesses that were allowed to remain open) and maintaining it long enough for the disease to die out, I suspect we would be in a different boat by now. But no, we were stupid. At the behest of the moneymen, they started relaxing restrictions by Memorial day (late May for the non-U.S. folks) and shortly after that, the recurring flare-ups began making the rounds, and the re-opening of colleges and such put such an exclamation point on it that I don't see how people can argue otherwise, unless their primary interest is the economy rather than stopping the disease.

Of course, this theory goes right out the window if CV was a deliberate release as I suspect it might have been. China and whomever else may have been involved would just repeat the release. That we couldn't have and cannot now defeat without a proven, effective vaccine.

Comment

Curfews are likely too.
                  Looks like you guys are going to behave yourselves whether you want to or not....

https://www.politico.eu/article/belg...t-coronavirus/

Any chance your leaders can knock some sense into our leaders heads?

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                    ...best we can hope for is allowing for herd immunity to set in
                    You must be willing to let millions die.

“Herd Immunity” is Not an Answer to a Pandemic
                    Source: Infectious Disease Society of America

Promoting the concept of “herd immunity” as framed in a recently circulated document as an answer to the COVID-19 pandemic is inappropriate, irresponsible and ill-informed. “Community immunity,” or “herd immunity,” a goal of vaccination campaigns, should never come at the cost of planned exposure to infection of millions of additional people as well as the severe illness and preventable deaths of hundreds of thousands of people. To assert that stepping away from the vigilance needed to control the spread of this novel coronavirus and that abdication of efforts to control a pandemic that has overwhelmed health systems worldwide is a “compassionate approach” is profoundly misleading.

We had it coming...

* bars and restaurants closed for a month
                    * 1 close contact per household -- someone you kiss/hug/meet without facemask
                    * max of 4 contacts we meet with facemask and social distancing, and only those 4 for the next 4 weeks (choose wisely)
                    * working from home mandatory again (yes)
                    * no christmas markets, halloween fests, antique markets, none of all that until at least the end of the year
                    * curfew from midnight until 5am
                    * no alcohol being sold after 8pm
                    * no celebrations or catered events can take place
                    * gatherings after funerals may have no more than 40 attendees, including family (so if you have a large family you're screwed)

These regulations will be re-examined 2 weeks from now to see whether they are working or have to be regulated.

* sports and cultural events will be determined later in the week

* extra relieve packages for businesses impacted by these regulations are forthcoming

Schools remain open for the time being.
                    Last edited by Falcon Horus; 16 October 2020, 01:12 PM. Reason: Forgot some new regulations...

Comment

You must be willing to let millions die.
                      We had it coming...

* bars and restaurants closed for a month
                      * 1 close contact per household -- someone you kiss/hug/meet without facemask
                      * max of 4 contacts we meet with facemask and social distancing, and only those 4 for the next 4 weeks (choose wisely)
                      * working from home mandatory again (yes)
                      * no christmas markets, halloween fests, antique markets, none of all that until at least the end of the year
                      * curfew from midnight until 5am
                      * no alcohol being sold after 8pm
                      * no celebrations or catered events can take place
                      * gatherings after funerals may have no more than 40 attendees, including family (so if you have a large family you're screwed)

These regulations will be re-examined 2 weeks from now to see whether they are working or have to be regulated.

* sports and cultural events will be determined later in the week

* extra relieve packages for businesses impacted by these regulations are forthcoming

in other words those millions will still die just over a longer period

curfew? I didn't know viruses take a break during daytime

schools open? ok let's forget them runts are thought to be more infectious than adults

no buying alcohol after 8pm - because buying it before 8pm makes a difference

so after those 2 weeks if, I mean when this fails, what then?
                      a 2nd full lockdown?
                      and once infection rates drop after the 2nd lockdown (to be clear social distancing does work & it's about the only thing that does) what about the after-lockdown (come the 3rd wave)?
                      a 3rd lockdown?
                      Last edited by SoulReaver; 16 October 2020, 03:24 PM.

Comment

“Herd Immunity” is Not an Answer to a Pandemic
                        Source: Infectious Disease Society of America
                        Although I agree in this case, I would be suspicious of anything coming out of any of the "egghead societies of America" these days. Politics has reduced us to a state somewhat below a crazed, stepped on cockroach for the time being.

They want to see if the regulations have to be regulated? You guys are almost as screwed up as we are!

How about relief for your average peon who can't get a job?

That's not working so well over here. Damned young skulls full of mush simply won't stay in their dorms.

Comment

I think this approach would have worked early on. If the disease can't spread, it dies out. But the isolation period as to be more thorough and last long enough for it to die. Like, if you put a glass cup over a small candle, the candle won't go out till the oxygen is exhausted.

But at this point, after having screwed up on our first chance, there may be too many candles.

schools open? ok let's forget them runts are thought to be more infectious than adults
                          Nah, just dumber. See comments in reply to FH above.

Comment

I think this approach would have worked early on. If the disease can't spread, it dies out. But the isolation period as to be more thorough and last long enough for it to die. Like, if you put a glass cup over a small candle, the candle won't go out till the oxygen is exhausted.

But at this point, after having screwed up on our first chance, there may be too many candles.
                            it's too contagious
                            almost as bad as flu & far longer incubation
                            all it takes is 1 infected person to slip through the net
                            the statistical likelihood is that the approach would've failed no matter when it was implemented

social distancing does work but that's no permanent solution either
                            unless everyone on the planet without exception were to be put in stasis say for 1 month (that'd be your glass cup)

Comment

social distancing does work but that's no permanent solution either
                              unless everyone on the planet without exception were to be put in stasis say for 1 month (that'd be your glass cup)
                              Not stasis, but isolation. You have to let the disease die. If you put it in stasis, it is revived right along with the people.

Comment

If left unchecked... sure...

Right now there are 39.3 million cases reported worldwide and 1.1 million deaths.

The US tops with 8 million cases and rising, and 218,000 deaths and rising, followed by Inda, Brazil, Russia and Argentina.

Belgium has 202,000 cases and 10,359 deaths right now -- also in an upwards curve still.

curfew? I didn't know viruses take a break during daytime
                                No, but it's to curb anyone from throwing a street party.

We have color coding in our school system, and at the moment that runs from yellow to orange to red. There are 2 universities currently voluntarily coded red and therefor only have online classes going. Colleges and most other universities operate under code orange which means 1/3rd of students can come to class, the rest is online.

Kindergarten through highschool is code yellow -- all students attend class at school. Teachers have to wear facemasks, and students from the age of 12 in class as well.

no buying alcohol after 8pm - because buying it before 8pm makes a difference
                                That should say "selling". My mistake.

so after those 2 weeks if, I mean when this fails, what then?
                                a 2nd full lockdown?
                                and once infection rates drop after the 2nd lockdown (to be clear social distancing does work & it's about the only thing that does) what about the after-lockdown (come the 3rd wave)?
                                a 3rd lockdown?
                                We need to get infections down but yes, a second lockdown looms over us as we average close to 10,000 infections a day for the last 7 days.

They want to see if the regulations have to be regulated? You guys are almost as screwed up as we are!
                                If the infection curve remains unaffected we'll have a second lockdown on our hands.
                                I wouldn't mind that, but it'll put a lot of jobs in jeopardy, including mine and my sister's.

How about relief for your average peon who can't get a job?
                                Unemployement benefits, including benefits for those who are technically/economically unemployed, continue. They haven't changed.

There are extra's added like a monetary aid on water/electricity bills (which I got as well, even though I'm not the one whose name is on the bill). Aid to get cheap internet.

Comment

Working...
                                X