The Covid19 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by magi877 View Post
    i posted this upthread. early on, places like twitter and fb were pushing back against it until a FB approved fact checker checked it out
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...guujK0M2BEpqN4
    FB and in fact most "fact checkers" are fiction writers.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      FB and in fact most "fact checkers" are fiction writers.
      So, lot's in common then?
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Translation: The fact checkers present information I don't like so I dismiss them
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

I reject reality and insert my own
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            Ummm... That isn't reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
              Ummm... That isn't reality.
              That is entirely Sky's point (but she got the quote slightly wrong)
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                That is entirely Sky's point (but she got the quote slightly wrong)
                Very deliberately because in many cases that’s what’s happening. People reject facts and insert their interpretation and call it ‘reality’.
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Very deliberately because in many cases that’s what’s happening. People reject facts and insert their interpretation and call it ‘reality’.
                  Indeed they do.
                  I was merely trying to take some of the...…… weight of this discussion before you guys are pretty much forced to step in with your moderator caps on.
                  Reality is a nebulous thing for the most part, but we need to accept that there are some things that exist outside our perception of reality, things that are simply true weather we like them or not.
                  If I jump out of a window, gravity is going to make me a pavement pizza, no matter what I "believe".
                  Have Faith, but trust science.
                  sigpic

Comment

*looks up from video game* What virus??
                    Originally posted by jelgate
                    This brings much pain but SQ is right

Comment

Originally posted by squirrely1 View Post
                      *looks up from video game* What virus??
                      The one in your game...……..
                      Ah ha haaa!!
                      sigpic

Comment

tested to be effective on monkeys, trials on up to 6000 humans begin next month

That has enabled them to leap ahead and schedule tests of their new coronavirus vaccine involving more than 6,000 people by the end of next month, hoping to show not only that it is safe, but also that it works.

The Oxford scientists now say that with an emergency approval from regulators, the first few million doses of their vaccine could be available by September — at least several months ahead of any of the other announced efforts — if it proves to be effective.

Now, they have received promising news suggesting that it might.

Scientists at the National Institutes of Health’s Rocky Mountain Laboratory in Montana last month inoculated six rhesus macaque monkeys with single doses of the Oxford vaccine. The animals were then exposed to heavy quantities of the virus that is causing the pandemic — exposure that had consistently sickened other monkeys in the lab. But more than 28 days later all six were healthy, said Vincent Munster, the researcher who conducted the test.
                        https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/27/w...login-facebook

Comment

NY ordered nursing homes to take in covid19 positive patients-spreading the disease tothe most vulnerable- yet barely used the federal aid they were sent, even after the Comfort made a quick conversion to treat covid positives

USNS Comfort leaving NYC

Hospital Ship Comfort Ends NYC COVID-19 Mission After Treating 182 Patients

https://news.usni.org/2020/04/27/hos...g-182-patients

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                            Not quite true. When we put out minds to it, we can eradicate infectious diseases. There hasn't been a smallpox case since 1978, and for all practical purposes the smallpox virus is no more.

But that doesn't mean it'll be as big a threat as it is today.

The problem with Covid-19 is that it's new. We don't have natural resistances to it and our healthcare systems aren't equipped to handle this many cases of viral pneumonia at once. The goal of flattening the curve isn't to eliminate Covid-19 outright, it is to avoid overwhelming hospitals and creating situations where people die in great numbers because there's not enough hospital beds, ventilators, doctors and nurses to care for all.

That entire line of thought is nonsense. A novel virus is the worst because it's new and we don't have immunity, but it does not follow that a flu becomes less of a killer with each season; we just get faster at vaccines.
                            congrats on re stating what i said

and stuff like smallpox? only stays eradicated so long as ppl participate with vaccines. as last years resurgence of measles displayed

Comment

tested to be effective on monkeys, trials on up to 6000 humans begin next month

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/27/w...login-facebook
                              Site is behind a paywall.

Comment

NY ordered nursing homes to take in covid19 positive patients-spreading the disease tothe most vulnerable- yet barely used the federal aid they were sent, even after the Comfort made a quick conversion to treat covid positives

USNS Comfort leaving NYC

Hospital Ship Comfort Ends NYC COVID-19 Mission After Treating 182 Patients

https://news.usni.org/2020/04/27/hos...g-182-patients
                                NYC and NY state is it's own animal. You have to live here to understand just how screwed up this place is. And even then, a lot of it make no sense whatsoever.

Comment

Working...
                                X