No announcement yet.

The Covid19 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The plague is bacterial, so it responds to antibiotics.

The catch about UV is....well it damages cells. Hence getting skin cancer from too much suntanning. So it would have to be weighed, is the cure worse than the future risk it brings?

Now using UV to sanitize non living surfaces? Sure. I know I saw something once about hospitals that were experimenting with UV robots to sanitize hospital rooms. The patient checks out, housekeeping removes all the bedding, etc, then the robot goes in and zaps the room, killing off bad bugs like MRSA and others far better than human sprayed disinfectants.

Bleach, well the ratio to use bleach to sanitize water is 6 drops per gallon. Use it in stronger concentrations and you start to have damage to surfaces - bleach the laundry for example. And it can cause burns on the skin of people, so is there a concentration that is strong enough to kill the buy while not harming the host? Especially since bleach bursts blood cells. Chances are the saturation needed to kill the bug would also kill the host.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

Bleach, well the ratio to use bleach to sanitize water is 6 drops per gallon. Use it in stronger concentrations and you start to have damage to surfaces - bleach the laundry for example. And it can cause burns on the skin of people, so is there a concentration that is strong enough to kill the buy while not harming the host? Especially since bleach bursts blood cells. Chances are the saturation needed to kill the bug would also kill the host.
      How old is your wash machine? My guess it's one of the newer ones that are designed to use a little water as possible, rather than being designed to wash your clothes.

I've got a 1980's era GE, and although I use 1/2 cup bleach (recommended by OEM) for a load of whites, in hot water and I have never had any issue with the clothes causing bleach burns, even in the most sensitive areas. It does the hot wash cycle, then 2 rinse cycles, and a little more rinse water during the final spin cycle. From what I understand, the newer ones don't even use enough water to wash properly, let alone rinse.

You can't buy good appliances anymore, so as a workaround, try running a load with detergent & bleach, then run the same load a couple more times with no detergent/bleach to do a more effective rinse?

PS: I've actually got 2 other old school washers in the basement that I got at garage sales, just in case the one I'm using now dies. At my age, by the time both of those wear out or die, I doubt I'll have to worry about clothes anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        One's health status is a private matter.

Nobody's stopping you from sharing that with a potential employer but chances are they won't hire you if they feel it hinders the execution of the job you're applying for.

Or, in some cases, it's the other way around and employers are specifically looking for a certain type of people known to have the proper focus to do a task. I know a company who hires people who are on the autism spectrum specifically and dispatches them as IT consultants.
        You might have missed this... https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/...1#post14686714
        In short, although prohibited by law, employers or potential employers can figure out just about whatever they want about you. And discriminate based on that info.

What the flu kills in several months, covid-19 manages in just 4 weeks.
        I'd say, covid wins.

According to the CDC the burden of the flu in the 2019-2020 season, which runs from October 1st to April 4th, approximately 24,000 - 62,000 people will have died.
        Covid-19 has already claimed 55,000 lives since records started being kept halfway March (I think).
        Those numbers cannot be relied upon as accurate, There is a flaw in the regulations that allow states to collect more federal dollars if the C.O.D. is Covid, as opposed to heart attack, or whatever. So this is causing misreporting by states, including NY to increase the take to state coffers.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
          How old is your wash machine? My guess it's one of the newer ones that are designed to use a little water as possible, rather than being designed to wash your clothes.

I've got a 1980's era GE, and although I use 1/2 cup bleach (recommended by OEM) for a load of whites, in hot water and I have never had any issue with the clothes causing bleach burns, even in the most sensitive areas. It does the hot wash cycle, then 2 rinse cycles, and a little more rinse water during the final spin cycle. From what I understand, the newer ones don't even use enough water to wash properly, let alone rinse.

You can't buy good appliances anymore, so as a workaround, try running a load with detergent & bleach, then run the same load a couple more times with no detergent/bleach to do a more effective rinse?

PS: I've actually got 2 other old school washers in the basement that I got at garage sales, just in case the one I'm using now dies. At my age, by the time both of those wear out or die, I doubt I'll have to worry about clothes anymore.
          I have yet to run a bleach load, but my point was that 6 drops per gallon of water is considered safe to drink. If anyone were imagining injecting it then the amount would need to be far, far, far less, and probably less to the point that it no longer has any real sanitizing properties. (Without even going into the whole what it does to blood cells thing)
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

It's nearly 2:30 am and I have to work tomorrow so I'll respond in lengthier terms later today when it's day again -- by which I mean the sun has risen in the east and travelling across the horizon towards the west.

But this one I couldn't resist...

...a load of whites...
            Do you also iron and fold those whites?
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

It's nearly 2:30 am and I have to work tomorrow so I'll respond in lengthier terms later today when it's day again -- by which I mean the sun has risen in the east and travelling across the horizon towards the west.

I don't own an iron.... If Permanent press cycle in the dryer doesn't take care of it, I don't worry about it.

Comment

what is this "ironing and folding" you speak of....we're men! Rumpled is the way we roll!

Comment

JUMPIN JESUS CHRIST WE HAVE ANOTHER THING TO SUGGEST ANOTHER THING TO EFFECT COVID19!!!

FINE FINE FINE if you want to just throw something up against the wall and see what sticks, then let's go back in time and get some medicine from there, the most recent thing I have heard, in fact I am hearing it as I write this, men need to start taking estrogen, a study is showing that an estrogen supplement will ease the symptoms of covid, earlier it was nicotine, well if you want a medicine to effect covid, fine try this, in ancient times poisons were used as medicines, so taking small amounts of cyanide and arsenic over time should help kill the virus, there try that, and if you die from it, then I guess you took too much at one time didn't you.....ARGH maybe people, reporters, the white house and others should stop putting so much info out there that people won't know what to believe, maybe just have ONE medical voice, once a day the head of the CDC puts out a report and let that be that. sorry just needed to get that out, that was just the last straw for me.

dead count at the writing as of this, 56,253 nation wide.

Comment

Originally posted by epg20 View Post
                    JUMPIN JESUS CHRIST WE HAVE ANOTHER THING TO SUGGEST ANOTHER THING TO EFFECT COVID19!!!

FINE FINE FINE if you want to just throw something up against the wall and see what sticks, then let's go back in time and get some medicine from there, the most recent thing I have heard, in fact I am hearing it as I write this, men need to start taking estrogen, a study is showing that an estrogen supplement will ease the symptoms of covid, earlier it was nicotine, well if you want a medicine to effect covid, fine try this, in ancient times poisons were used as medicines, so taking small amounts of cyanide and arsenic over time should help kill the virus, there try that, and if you die from it, then I guess you took too much at one time didn't you.....ARGH maybe people, reporters, the white house and others should stop putting so much info out there that people won't know what to believe, maybe just have ONE medical voice, once a day the head of the CDC puts out a report and let that be that. sorry just needed to get that out, that was just the last straw for me.

That would be a place like China, where the only voice is that of the govt. Oh, wait a minute. Isn't that kind of thing how we got into this mess?

Comment

I *think* that budget scam originates at the state level. But it is statewide; I've read local reports about that kind of felgercarb being carried out elsewhere besides NYC.
                      i am positive it is...

attach money to an issue and nearly anything can happen.

Comment

Originally posted by epg20 View Post

i am sure if dr's and others keep looking they will find all manner of things both natural and synthesized that may have some effect on the virus. i mean it is a natural thing so why wouldn't it be susceptible to any number of chemicals or organics just as any other living natural thing is

on that.. have you seen the study on using Pepcid at super crazy amounts as a "decoy" for covid19? something about how the structure of famotidine (sp?) is attractive to the virus and will attach to it giving treatments more time to work

but, have you ever read the warnings on these ppi's? i mean they just took zantac away due to cancer issues. the regular side effects include stuff like hair loss, bone loss and heart issues

so, use it as a decoy now for the virus and develop cancer from the high levels used later?

and i dont use the stuff, but i had been wondering why i have seen so little of itin stores... yup, people are hoarding it

just like they hoarded tylenol, vitamin c and mucinex

if i knew how, i would post an official looking study that said that drinking castor oil is a protection against contracting covid19
                        https://www.sciencealert.com/heartbu...d-19-treatment

Comment

Those numbers cannot be relied upon as accurate, There is a flaw in the regulations that allow states to collect more federal dollars if the C.O.D. is Covid, as opposed to heart attack, or whatever. So this is causing misreporting by states, including NY to increase the take to state coffers.
                          i posted this upthread. early on, places like twitter and fb were pushing back against it until a FB approved fact checker checked it out
                          https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...guujK0M2BEpqN4

Comment

The common flu -- no vaccine available.
                            SARS-MERS -- no vaccine available.

If there's a shot available in a year or so, it'll be like the flu... momentary immunity or something alike.

What the flu kills in several months, covid-19 manages in just 4 weeks.
                            I'd say, covid wins.

According to the CDC the burden of the flu in the 2019-2020 season, which runs from October 1st to April 4th, approximately 24,000 - 62,000 people will have died.

Covid-19 has already claimed 55,000 lives since records started being kept halfway March (I think).

The bubonic plague is still as deadly as it was several hundred years ago.
                            The only difference is that if caught early enough, people can survive pretty much unscathed without loosing an arm or a leg.

From the page I link to above:

FIRST, i just want to state again on tech issues... the multi quote issue and having to reply to a post in its entirety, sucks.

now, on this

my whole point on talking about other persistent diseases, viral or bacterial, is that they are with us still no matter how long they have been dormant

with covid 19, media and some govt types are speaking as if there will be away to eradicate covid 19 from the planet

wont happen

so no matter how long ppl shut themselves in, destroying the economy--the full burden of which we haven't even begun to see the damage from-- i n the process, or wearing masks, eventually they will go outside and even if some govt agency gives the 'all clear", the virus will still be there, somewhere

and on the other flu's. isn't it true that unless a flu mutates dramatically then it will become less of a killer with each season as exposure to it gives more immunity from it? therefore, the forst iteration of any new virus will be its worse, right?

if true--and i am asking, maybe narrowly, but still a question-- then this first wave is less of a killer, so far, then whatever iteration of the common flu we are on this year

and the covid death numbers cannot be trusted. in the US hospitals are passively encouraged to calls someone as covid 19 postive even if they are not, to get more money from medicaid under the CARESact

and, tyong to the video of the woman speaking i posted on the conditions of NYC hospitals, this would also explain why hospitals may be doing things like placing covid presumptive cases on the same wards with covid confirmed

so, a person is tested, put in the covid ward and handled by med staff who are dealing with covid confirmed. by the time the test comes back then they NOW HAVE covid from being put in the same ward..

i am not saying that the latter is intentional, more like personnel burn out and bad decisions

Comment

Originally posted by magi877 View Post
                              my whole point on talking about other persistent diseases, viral or bacterial, is that they are with us still no matter how long they have been dormant
                              Not quite true. When we put out minds to it, we can eradicate infectious diseases. There hasn't been a smallpox case since 1978, and for all practical purposes the smallpox virus is no more.

with covid 19, media and some govt types are speaking as if there will be away to eradicate covid 19 from the planet

wont happen

so no matter how long ppl shut themselves in, destroying the economy--the full burden of which we haven't even begun to see the damage from-- i n the process, or wearing masks, eventually they will go outside and even if some govt agency gives the 'all clear", the virus will still be there, somewhere
                              But that doesn't mean it'll be as big a threat as it is today.

The problem with Covid-19 is that it's new. We don't have natural resistances to it and our healthcare systems aren't equipped to handle this many cases of viral pneumonia at once. The goal of flattening the curve isn't to eliminate Covid-19 outright, it is to avoid overwhelming hospitals and creating situations where people die in great numbers because there's not enough hospital beds, ventilators, doctors and nurses to care for all.

and on the other flu's. isn't it true that unless a flu mutates dramatically then it will become less of a killer with each season as exposure to it gives more immunity from it? therefore, the forst iteration of any new virus will be its worse, right?
                              That entire line of thought is nonsense. A novel virus is the worst because it's new and we don't have immunity, but it does not follow that a flu becomes less of a killer with each season; we just get faster at vaccines.
                              If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by magi877 View Post
                                FIRST, i just want to state again on tech issues... the multi quote issue and having to reply to a post in its entirety, sucks.

now, on this

wont happen

if true--and i am asking, maybe narrowly, but still a question-- then this first wave is less of a killer, so far, then whatever iteration of the common flu we are on this year

and the covid death numbers cannot be trusted. in the US hospitals are passively encouraged to calls someone as covid 19 postive even if they are not, to get more money from medicaid under the CARESact

and, tyong to the video of the woman speaking i posted on the conditions of NYC hospitals, this would also explain why hospitals may be doing things like placing covid presumptive cases on the same wards with covid confirmed

so, a person is tested, put in the covid ward and handled by med staff who are dealing with covid confirmed. by the time the test comes back then they NOW HAVE covid from being put in the same ward..

i am not saying that the latter is intentional, more like personnel burn out and bad decisions
                                The article you cited only said that Medicare patients get extra funding for hospitals if it's said they have Covid. Medicare mostly just covers retired people (and people with disabilities I think) . It also said that there hadn't been any evidence of anyone saying a patient had/may have had covid when they didn't just so the hospital could get money yet, just that it's possible.

As for putting people who have been tested but not confirmed in the same room as confirmed cases, that might have something to do with the amount a space and resources a hospital has in it (a lot if these hospitals really don't have much space to deal with the patients they have in normal times). I don't exactly think it's a good idea, but it's better than putting someone they think might have it with people who don't have it while they're waiting on test results.

Even with antibody testing saying saying that over 2 million people may have been exposed to Covid in NY, the morality rate still comes up to 0.5%, the seasonal flu has a mortality rate of 0.1%. Covid spreads more easily than the flu, that's the big issue.
                                Last edited by VampyreWraith; 28 April 2020, 12:33 PM. Reason: Typo/added to clarify
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X